PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question from luv...

luv
04-23-2006, 04:28 PM
At least it doesn't have to do with my network connection again (which I haven't had any more problems with, btw).

I have my screensaver set to come on when I'm idle for 5 minutes. About 15 minutes after that, my computer shuts itself off. It didn't use to do that. Did I change a setting somewhere that I'm unaware of? It's not like it's restarting. I turn it on, and the screen I had up before comes back up, only I have to reconnect to anything on the internet. It more like a powersave, which I don't mind. I just want to know why it started doing that is all.

Baconeater
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Sounds like it's going into standby. On my PC I go to the control panel and click "appearance and themes" then "choose a screen saver" then another window pops up with a "Power" button on the bottom. All the settings are there for the standby/hibernate modes. There might be an easier way, but that's what I do.

luv
04-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks! I found it.

Next question. Is it bad to leave your computer on all the time? I've heard that it's better to leave it on all the time, too. Thoughts/reasons? Just trying to do what's best for my PC (aka make it last longer). Thanks.

Baconeater
04-23-2006, 05:16 PM
That I'm not sure of, I let mine go into standby most of the time. The only time I restart is if it acts up.

BigMeatballDave
04-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks! I found it.

Next question. Is it bad to leave your computer on all the time? I've heard that it's better to leave it on all the time, too. Thoughts/reasons? Just trying to do what's best for my PC (aka make it last longer). Thanks.Leaving it on for long hours just wears out the cooling fans. Not to mention wasting electricity. I shut mine down when I'm at work and sleeping...

DaFace
04-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Next question. Is it bad to leave your computer on all the time?

Kinda depends on how you use it. I'm on my computer on and off pretty much all day long. It would drive me nuts to shut it down and start it up all the time, so I just leave it on 24/7. I use the power options you were messing with above to cut down on electricity.

If you're gone for long hours at a time, take BCD's advice. Save your fans and electricity.

dr00d
04-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Leaving it on for long hours just wears out the cooling fans. Not to mention wasting electricity. I shut mine down when I'm at work and sleeping...

I don't like to waste electricity...but most computers use less power in standby than most tv's ** when the tv is turned off **

stinky lefties! :D