PDA

View Full Version : Any Adobe Illustrator Gurus on here?

Simplex3
04-23-2006, 04:29 PM
I have a little image I did that I need some help with. Basically I have two overlapping shapes using a 2px stroke (white) to give definition between them. It looks exactly like I want it to. My issue is that when I export to gif or jpg it anti-aliases the edges that are on the outside of the stroked area, transparancy doesn't work, etc etc. Is there a way to take my image and drop all stroked area or all white area and keep only the colored areas?

...and it needs to be done in Illustrator because I need the vector drawing, so thanks anyway Photoshop guys.

Simplex3
04-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Here's the image for reference:

JBucc
04-23-2006, 04:31 PM
what?

Phobia
04-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Sorry, I'm merely a Warpaint Illustrated guru.

Simplex3
04-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Sorry, I'm merely a Warpaint Illustrated guru.
The best thing you ever did here was go there.

:D

AZORChiefFan
04-23-2006, 04:48 PM
is this what you are looking for?

Simplex3
04-23-2006, 05:21 PM
is this what you are looking for?
Yes!

BucEyedPea
04-23-2006, 06:53 PM
The anti-aliasing threw me off...as that keeps the edges smoother and less jagged.

If you wanna get rid of the strokes,to invisible you have to first change them to objects:

(1) Go under Object>Path to the Fly-Out and choose Outline Stroke. That makes it an object

(2) You can then play with the Pathfinders to cut-out what was once the stroke to invisible like shown by the poster above. ( Save an extra of your image and put behind.)

or

Go back under Object>Path again to the same Fly-Out but choose Divide Objects Below and use the pointer to pick-out the former stroke (that is an object now) to invisible.

I dunno if I was too late to help ya' though.

BucEyedPea
04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
I just tried it...the Divide Objects Below sees the former stroke area as more than one object apparently ( it won't work when that happens) BUT the Pathfinder (deleting object in front worked)!!! Gotta now hit Option key when you use it...at least on a Mac.

Good Luck!

AZORChiefFan
04-23-2006, 07:25 PM
BucEyedPea has it right or that's what I did. I couldn't stick around to answer or explain. One thing I would add is: After you stroke the path select the path and object and ungoup them. Then select the path and the object in back and then play around with the pathfinder tool. After you get the right pathfinder effect hit the expand button to get rid of the extra path and that hopefully will do it. I suck at explaning things so hope it makes sense.

BucEyedPea
04-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi there AZChief....also hitting OPTION key when you click the PATHFINDER...does the same thing as hitting EXAPAND button. It's just the keyboard shortcut.

Simplex3
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Rep all around. Except for the two smartasses that replied first.

AZORChiefFan
04-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi there AZChief....also hitting OPTION key when you click the PATHFINDER...does the same thing as hitting EXAPAND button. It's just the keyboard shortcut.
learn something new everyday.