PDA

View Full Version : Bias in officiating?

Saulbadguy
04-24-2006, 08:22 AM
I always wonder how referees and officials don't have some sort of bias when working. They obviously have knowledge of the game, but how did they acquire that knowledge and start officiating? Probably by growing up watching sports and rooting for their favorite team.

I just wonder how they can do their job without some sort of bias. BTW - check out this video. This is what made me think about this topic.

http://media.putfile.com/Happy-Ref

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I would think they would naturally have some bias... and it always seems to be for whoever the Chiefs are playing.

:)

Amnorix
04-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Human beings have bias. That's just the way it is. Hopefully, they can ACT objectively despite their bias.

StcChief
04-24-2006, 09:07 AM
I guess no one pays attention to coaches saying 'Don't get on the wrong side of the ref'

Biased or not you will lose close calls....

I speak from experience as a former baseball umpire

MVChiefFan
04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I did some officiating of Junior High and High School football and it really wasn't hard to be fair and honest. I always felt a responsibility. However, I am guilty of letting some things go because a coach was an ass.

Rain Man
04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
You would like to think that the obligations of the job would offset any natural bias. I have situations in my own work where I could be biased in how I do a study, but I'm very careful about not interjecting my own opinions into the process. They probably do the same thing.

cdcox
04-24-2006, 09:32 AM
You would like to think that the obligations of the job would offset any natural bias. I have situations in my own work where I could be biased in how I do a study, but I'm very careful about not interjecting my own opinions into the process. They probably do the same thing.

I'm confident that virtually all the officials want to call the game completely fairly. The thing that makes their task much more difficult is that they are making snap decisions. I can normally make an unbiased descision given time to think things through. On a snap decision on a boarderline call, the tendency to favor your bias or to over compensate against your own bias would have a better chance of happening.

I think you have to look at the game differently once you're an official. The day you decide you want to be an offical, I think you have to let the fan in you die. You've decided to remove yourself from the stands or the couch and enter the game. I'm sure they can't be 100% effective at this. I guess if your (former) team won the SB you could allow yourself a brief smile, as long as no one was looking.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-24-2006, 09:41 AM
It is impossible not to have some bias. It just is. Whether it is as a ref or a teacher, bias will always creep into the fray in some instance (whether small or large).