PDA

View Full Version : Question!!

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 07:40 AM
Does anyone know how a person would go about changing their last name legally? :)

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Get a lawyer and set a court date.

Dunit35
04-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Play a few games of Madden.

Baconeater
04-24-2006, 07:54 AM
The IRS will still find you.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 08:00 AM
I hate you all. Ha ha!! I guess I have to explain to get a straight answer. My niece was born and was given her father's last name at the time. He now has chose to have nothing to do with her at all, so we are going to change her last name to her Moms last name.

DMAC
04-24-2006, 08:02 AM
I hate you all. Ha ha!! I guess I have to explain to get a straight answer. My niece was born and was given her father's last name at the time. He now has chose to have nothing to do with her at all, so we are going to change her last name to her Moms last name.Go to the Social Security dept. and talk to one of those nice ladies :)

dr00d
04-24-2006, 08:03 AM
I hate you all. Ha ha!! I guess I have to explain to get a straight answer. My niece was born and was given her father's last name at the time. He now has chose to have nothing to do with her at all, so we are going to change her last name to her Moms last name.

I'll take google for 500, alex!

Skip Towne
04-24-2006, 08:03 AM
I don't know a lot about it but I don't think it is that hard. I believe you have to prove somehow that you aren't doing it to avoid debt or for other devious reasons. A lawyer can tell you about it.

HarryParatestes
04-24-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm proud to be a Paratestes!

My grandfather and father were overjoyed to be old Paratestes...

I wear my Paratestes with pride! When I have a son I'll pass down the Paratestes tradition to him.

I hope to grow old and gray...to live long enough to have a little Paratestes calling me Gramps.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Go to the courthouse and ask the clerk you dumb sonofabitch.

leviw
04-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Poll it on the Planet, obviously.

4th and Long
04-24-2006, 08:42 AM
This still requires some legal work. He'll have to legally sign away his rights as her parent before you can change her name.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
This still requires some legal work. He'll have to legally sign away his rights as her parent before you can change her name.
He has no rights at the moment. He has no visitation rights, no kind of custody, and has not seen her since she was about 6 months old....she is now two.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't know a lot about it but I don't think it is that hard. I believe you have to prove somehow that you aren't doing it to avoid debt or for other devious reasons. A lawyer can tell you about it.
Well, since she is two years old, I don't think she has had a lot of time to get into to much debt. ROFL Just kidding. No , she is just two and nobody wants her to have any connection to that guy anymore...since he has decided she was not worth his time. :cuss:

Frankie
04-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Marry some dude!

(Gee I hope you are a girl!)

Phobia
04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds like a case of a young kid screwing up and now he's continuing to make the mistake. Have you exhausted every possible avenue to make him step up? Sometimes when we men are younger, we are still stupid kids. As we mature, we're more willing to do the right thing. Maybe if the kid is properly counseled, he'll come around. It would be a shame for the little girl to grow up not knowing her real father.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Sounds like a case of a young kid screwing up and now he's continuing to make the mistake. Have you exhausted every possible avenue to make him step up? Sometimes when we men are younger, we are still stupid kids. As we mature, we're more willing to do the right thing. Maybe if the kid is properly counseled, he'll come around. It would be a shame for the little girl to grow up not knowing her real father.
Let me give you an example of what he thinks of her. On her first birthday, my sister-in-law called him to ask if he was going to come see her.....he says he is going to see if his Mom will go see her because he is going to go play basketball at the school. At Christmas.... he took to time to send her a nice big package of nothing. And on her second birthday, he decided to have the news leak out that he has gotten two other girls pregnant in the last few months. Now....would you take the time to give him a chance?

Phobia
04-24-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm sure that you and the family are angry and you have every right to be. But who has the right to determine where the tolerance line is drawn for a little girl's immature, wayward father? He obviously needs some guidance and direction.

Kerberos
04-24-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm sure that you and the family are angry and you have every right to be. But who has the right to determine where the tolerance line is drawn for a little girl's immature, wayward father? He obviously needs some guidance and direction.

Would that kind of guidance involve a blow torch and a pair of pliers?

Phobia
04-24-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't know the answers, but I hate to see a little girl without a father. I made my share of mistakes in my 20's and if people hadn't been incredibly patient with me, I don't know where I'd be.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know the answers, but I hate to see a little girl without a father. I made my share of mistakes in my 20's and if people hadn't been incredibly patient with me, I don't know where I'd be.I respect your opinion and do agree...... but, this kid has been given chance after chance for two years now, and he just does not want to do anything except smoke, shoot up, and get girls pregnant...not to mention drop out of school and not work.....so where he is getting all his money we can all only imagine. As this liitle girls uncle, I can assure you she will NEVER be without a male figure in her life. I appreciate the thoughts though Phobia.

4th and Long
04-24-2006, 10:08 AM
He has no rights at the moment. He has no visitation rights, no kind of custody, and has not seen her since she was about 6 months old....she is now two.
I hate to break it to you Einstein but if his name appears as the father on the birth certificate, he has all the rights that any father is afforded. If he wishes to sign away his rights as the father of the child, that's one thing. You cannot walk into a government office and say, "Ummm yeah. The dude that's this baby's father doesn't want anything to do with her so we're changing her last name."

Doesn't work that way. Sorry.

luv
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Start charging him child support. If he doesn't have a job, wants nothing to do with the kid, you can prove he does drugs, etc, then take him to court and have his parental rights taken away. Either way, the advise of contacting a lawyer seems like sound advice to me.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 10:43 AM
I hate to break it to you Einstein but if his name appears as the father on the birth certificate, he has all the rights that any father is afforded. If he wishes to sign away his rights as the father of the child, that's one thing. You cannot walk into a government office and say, "Ummm yeah. The dude that's this baby's father doesn't want anything to do with her so we're changing her last name."

Doesn't work that way. Sorry.
You can go tell your argument to the judge in Kansas City that told us we don't need to worry about him as far as right go now....if he wants to see her or contact her now, he has to go through him (the judge) first now. Thanks for the comment though. :rolleyes:

Baby Lee
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Petition where presented--contents-- proceedings.

527.270. Hereafter every person desiring to change his or her name may present a petition to that effect, verified by affidavit, to the circuit court in the county of the petitioner's residence, which petition shall set forth the petitioner's full name, the new name desired, and a concise statement of the reason for such desired change; and it shall be the duty of the judge of such court to order such change to be made, and spread upon the records of the court, in proper form, if such judge is satisfied that the desired change would be proper and not detrimental to the interests of any other person. (RS Mo 1939 1706)

Prior revisions: 1929 1542; 1919 1992; 1909 2556; (1975) Wife may change name to one different from that of her husband. Matter of Natale (A.), 527 S.W.2d 402.

Fees to be paid by petitioner.

527.280. The fees for proceedings under sections 527.270 to 527.290 shall be the same as are now or may hereafter be allowed in similar cases in said court, to be paid by the petitioner.

(RS Mo 1939 1707) Prior revisions: 1929 1543; 1919 1993; 1909 2557

Notice of change to be given, when and how.

527.290. Public notice of such a change of name shall be given at least three times in a newspaper published in the county where such person is residing, within twenty days after the order of court is made, and if no newspaper is published in his or any adjacent county, then such notice shall be given in a newspaper published in the city of St. Louis, or at the seat of government.

(RS Mo 1939 1708) Prior revisions: 1929 1544; 1919 1994; 1909 2558

4th and Long
04-24-2006, 10:51 AM
You can go tell your argument to the judge in Kansas City that told us we don't need to worry about him as far as right go now....if he wants to see her or contact her now, he has to go through him (the judge) first now. Thanks for the comment though. :rolleyes:
Don't roll your eyes at me for a question you posted and asked for answers, n00b.

PS - You have all the grammatical skills of an eight year old.

Phobia
04-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't sweat 4th and Long. He gets pretty cranky when somebody posts a smilie at him sometimes.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Don't roll your eyes at me for a question you posted and asked for answers, n00b.

PS - You have all the grammatical skills of an eight year old.
First off....just because someone does not have thousands of posts does not mean they are a noob jacka$$. Second, you don't like the grammer you don't need to reply. I don't recall anyone asking you anything directly anyway. Third, you don't want rolled eyes, then you don't need to leave any smarta$$ remarks yourself ok EINSTEIN!! 4321

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Don't sweat 4th and Long. He gets pretty cranky when somebody posts a smilie at him sometimes.
That's to bad. Guess he'll have to get over it.

Iowanian
04-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Changing a minors name will be harder than changing your own. Changing your own can be a simple as going to your county recorder office and filling out a form that your name is now "buttersuckle bananahammock".

I think you'll need to get a lawyer for a minor.

Manila-Chief
04-24-2006, 11:19 AM
If her mother has remarried her new hubby could adopt the child and thus change her name to his name.

vckcchiefs04
04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Changing a minors name will be harder than changing your own. Changing your own can be a simple as going to your county recorder office and filling out a form that your name is now "buttersuckle bananahammock".

I think you'll need to get a lawyer for a minor.

ROFL