PDA

View Full Version : Glass patient with Baird now...

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-24-2006, 07:52 AM
04/22/2006 7:25 PM ET
Royals owner focused on helping GM
Glass visits baseball operations staff, attends batting practice
By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- The patience of Royals owner David Glass has been severely tested during Kansas City's early-season slide. But Glass made it clear Saturday that he's still willing to stay the course at this juncture and not have a knee-jerk reaction to three weeks of poor baseball.
Amid speculation that general manager Allard Baird's job security may be in jeopardy, Glass said his immediate focus is on helping his baseball operations team led by Baird do whatever it takes to turn things around.

Glass met with his baseball operations team Saturday and later paid a visit to the field as the Royals were taking batting practice.

"The first thing is to ask, 'What are the things we can do to give us a better chance of winning?' You very quickly do all those things," Glass said. "And then if nothing works, then you look at all your options and you do whatever you have to do to turn it around."

The Royals went into Saturday's game against Cleveland saddled with a 2-13 record and an 11-game losing streak. That start has brought about scrutiny regarding whether Glass might make a change at the GM position.

"Allard went out and worked really hard to overhaul this team," Glass said. "All of us liked what he put together and approved of what he did. Now, the first three weeks of the season have not gone well. But I still contend that this team is much closer to what we saw in Spring Training than it is to what you've seen on the field the last 10 days.

"Allard is the baseball guy, and he's the guy who bears the responsibility for whether they work out or whether they don't. You're not always going to be right and you're not always going to be wrong. You do the best you can and then you stand on your record. But if this team turns around and suddenly starts playing a lot better, those people who right now blame Allard for the losing streak will praise him for the winning streak."

Robert Falkoff is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Bowser
04-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Ah, the kiss of death.

It's too bad Glass won't give Baird a chunk of change to play with. I'd like to see what he could do with this roster if he had 75-80 mil to spend.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Ah, the kiss of death.

It's too bad Glass won't give Baird a chunk of change to play with. I'd like to see what he could do with this roster if he had 75-80 mil to spend.
I'm sure we could find some more solidly average veteren rejects from elsewhere around the league.

Did thatr smack of a bad attitude?

Cochise
04-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I do agree with Glass when he says that the team is closer to what was seen in spring training than what's been on the field during the losing streak.

The offense was dead, which, we don't have the best lineup ever but the offense is better than that. Now Berroa is back above .300, Sweeney had a 4 hit game, and what do you know, they put up a bunch of runs over the weekend.

The pitching was awful. It normally is not good anyways, but we aren't walking 10 guys in a game normally. Things calm down and we win 2 out of 3 against the best hitting team in baseball. What do you know?

I think that, while they were not playing good baseball within themselves, the Royals were also the victims of some pretty poor luck there too. I can't remember how many times it would seem like the pitcher got squeezed in critical situation.

I still maintain that by the end of the year, we'll notice that this team has taken a step forward since last year. Maybe not a huge one, but something to build on.

CoMoChief
04-24-2006, 11:28 AM
We need starting pitching, nuff said. We need at least 2 guys that can go 6-7 innings on a consistant basis. without giving up 5-6 runs because our offense will not score that much day in day out. Elarton and Redman are not quality starters. They constantly throw meat pitches (Meaning right down the pipe with no movement traveling around only 85mph). I dont care who you are if you do that youre gonna get smashed.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
we need a lineup with players that can hit close to .300.

if you can't hit at least .250 ... you don't belong in the majors.

CoMoChief
04-24-2006, 11:53 AM
we need a lineup with players that can hit close to .300.

if you can't hit at least .250 ... you don't belong in the majors.

And if your ERA is above 6 or 7, you dont belong in the Major Leagues, of course its the beginning of the season, so one bad start can give you a very high ERA, but Lima last season was just rediculous. Whos he with now?

chubychecker
04-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Lima tried to make the Mets; he's in the minors now.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2006, 12:00 PM
I think Lima was with the Mets minor leagues but his ego wanted him to be on the club, not sure if he stayed on or not, he of course sucked big balls in spring training.

alnorth
04-24-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm fine with the dreaded "vote of confidence". If you believe we need a new GM, then we cant fire the guy now. IF we do, we'll need to put some senior scout in as interim GM who probably knows even less about what the hell he's doing than Allard Baird.

At the end of the season, we'll have a lot of potential GM candidates to interview. Right now, we could just get some guy thats not important enough for a club to care if they lose him during the season, or some guy who wasnt good enough to find any kind of job in the beginning of the season.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2006, 02:10 PM
The thing that really gets me is the drafting. Wasn't Baird a scout before he became GM?

Now the signings this year were pretty decent for the most part. Trouble is we dont have the superstars around them. If we had Beltran and Dye then our offense would be pretty darn good. Pitching is another story, even though Elarton looks like a good pickup.

Pitt Gorilla
04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
The thing that really gets me is the drafting. Wasn't Baird a scout before he became GM?

Now the signings this year were pretty decent for the most part. Trouble is we dont have the superstars around them. If we had Beltran and Dye then our offense would be pretty darn good. Pitching is another story, even though Elarton looks like a good pickup.I made a similar argument this weekend. Baird seems to be very good at the mid-level prospect trade and FA signing. However, he doesn't seem to be very good at drafting star-type players. I suppose the jury is still out on Maier, Butler, Greinke, and Gordon.

Cochise
04-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm fine with the dreaded "vote of confidence". If you believe we need a new GM, then we cant fire the guy now.

Totally agree. Firing Baird in midseason makes no sense. Do it in the offseason if that is your plan.

Midseason canning something you do to a manager, and you can't blame Bell for not making filet mignon with a package of expired bologna.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I made a similar argument this weekend. Baird seems to be very good at the mid-level prospect trade and FA signing. However, he doesn't seem to be very good at drafting star-type players. I suppose the jury is still out on Maier, Butler, Greinke, and Gordon.
Also count Huber who he traded for as well, i am excited to see all those guys in a Royals uni at the same time, alot of potential combined right there. This offense could use the help and Zack, we know what he's capable of if he can just control his mental problem.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Again, why does Baird get a Vote of Confidence????? I dont get it. He hasnt done one thing right for this team and his record of developing picthers is downright disgraceful. Sigh......