Bell, K 6
Fox, K 3
Griffin, K 2
Grigsby, B 2
Johnson, D 2
Mitchell, K 4
Scanlon, R 3 Avg. 3.14 yrs

POSITIONAL NEEDS RANKING (Based on age):

1. SAFETY is an absolute must in the draft. It is the oldest position even though Woods will be gone, it is not a trustworthy position with the age of Knight and the unreliability of Wesley and Bartee. Connot shows some promise, but will never be the leader in the defensive backfield. Therefore, Safety is an absolute PRIORITY in this yearís draft.
(First, Second, or Third round pick)

2. OFFENSIVE GUARD: Shields is upon retirement and someone needs to take his place. Will Bober be the one we can rely on? Welbourne? Waters, Welbourne, and Bober are 7 and 8 years into the league. Maybe itís time to draft someone very soon. Now is good time since it could take the player three years to develop.
(Mid to Late Round pick)

3. TIGHT END: Dunn is our blocking TE, Gonzalez is our receiving TE, and Wilson appears to be a bust. We can hold off for now and see if Wilson gets any better, but this position will need to be addressed in the next draft, if not this one.
(We could pass on this yearís draft as Gonzalez is reliable, but a Mid to Late Round steal can be considered for a receiving TE. A blocking TE can always be found in FA)

4. CENTER: Weigmann is 11 years in the league. Is Ingram his replacement? I doubt it. Time to be grooming a new center.
(Wow. I had no idea. I think we have to seriously considering getting a Center in this yearís or next years draft- Mid to Late round).

5. QUARTERBACK: Scary considering our only back-up with any experience is Huard. Drafting a QB when we have Printers and Killian doesnít make sense. What the team really needs here is a veteran back-up. Why they didnít go after Harrington is beyond me.
(Both Killian and Printers are 1-year players. We donít need to draft a QB in this draft. The sad fact of the matter is- we need more than anything to pick up a veteran QB to play instead of Huard. Not getting Harrington could be a major mistake.)

6. DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Despite the nice 5.83 yr average- this position appears to be an absolute must. Sims is in his contract year and could become a free agent. Siavii appears to be a bust and Dixon wonít amount to much.
(First, Second, and Third should be considered. However, raw talent can be found in the mid to late rounds.)

7. CORNERBACK: Washington wonít make the team, therefore Surtain will be the leader of this young, but very weak group. Walls will be a nice compliment, but not an every down DB. Battle- who knows? Despite the age- we need a solid DB.
(First, Second, Third rounds)

8. RUNNING BACKS: There is some nice youth in this group, but Holmes is not likely to be around next year. Griffin will make a nice spot back, but he wonít provide much help. We could possibly wait until next year when Holmes is gone.
(We could pass on a RB this draft and wait until next year. However, a talented back found in the late rounds is good possibility)

9. WIDE RECEIVER: Kennison is getting up there. Parker will become the #1 wideout, but despite the youth, we need someone who will compliment Parker in the next few years. Thorpe and McIntyre are not likely to become any more than a nice third wideout.
(Second, Third rounds)

10. OFFENSIVE TACKE: Losing Roaf wonít be good. But, there is some nice young talent to fill this position after he retires. Not a need right now.
(No need to draft now.)

11. DEFENSIVE END: Now this is sad. Despite the youth- there is nobody to replace Hicks who really needs to go. Carlos Hall and Wilkerson are nice spotters, but that is it. We need a guy to compliment Jared Allen.
(First, Second, Third rounds)

12. LINEBACKERS: Wow. Not the best group of LBís, but a youthful and quick one. They will continue to grow together and become a very nice group. No needs here.
(No need to draft)

13. FULLBACK: Despite the fact Cruz is expected to be the FB, we only have one legitimate FB on the roster. Can Cruz do the job?
(Mid to Late Rounds consideration)

WHAT WE SHOULD BE DRAFTING IN 2006 (Listed in order of importance in each round).

FIRST ROUND: The best available CB, S, DE, or DT
SECOND ROUND: The best available CB, DE, DT, S or WR.
THIRD ROUND: The best available WR, S, CB, DT, DE, or OG
FIFTH ROUND: The best available WR, OG, DT, FB, or RB
SIXTH ROUND: The best available WR, OG, FB, DT, RB, C, or TE
SIXTH ROUND: The best available WR, OG, FB, DT, RB, C or TE
SEVENTH ROUND: The best available QB, FB, RB, C, CB, or OG

WHAT OUR DRAFT MIGHT LOOK LIKE(Of course, one of the following players in each round, if available)

FIRST ROUND: Tye Hill, CB, Clemson, Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina, Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida St., Tamba Hali, DE, Penn St., Manny Lawson, DE/LB NC State, Kamerion Wimbley, DE, Florida St., or Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College.

SECOND ROUND: Claude Wroten, DT, LSU; Gabe Watson, DT, Michigan; John McCargo, DT, NC State; Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina; Daniel Bullocks, S, Nebraska; Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State; Greg Jennings, WR, Western Michigan; Darryl Tapp, DE, Virginia Tech.

THIRD ROUND: DeMario Minter, DB, Georgia; Jon Lewis, DT, Virginia Tech; Anwar Phillips, DB, Penn St.; Babatunde Oshinowo, DT, Stanford; Tim Jennings, DB, Georgia; Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon; Pat Watkins, S, Florida St.

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Safety. Big surprise.

:D

DMAC
04-24-2006, 10:03 AM
That LB is lookin pretty good, can at least say that

Mr. Laz
04-24-2006, 10:04 AM
a little deceptive though

age doesn't really translate into quality or lack thereof.

so it this age average take into account old backups that don't play much?

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Jason Allen might look awfully good there at 20 afterall....:hmmm:

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:16 AM
a little deceptive though

age doesn't really translate into quality or lack thereof.

so it this age average take into account old backups that don't play much?

I don't think it's deceptive at all, except maybe at QB and C where you only have 1 starter.

We have lots of age at OT, OG, and WR that's offset by having a 2nd, much younger starter opposite them.

BigChiefFan
04-24-2006, 10:17 AM
You'd could also say that we have the MOST EXPERIENCE at the position, too. This stat is seriously flawed, IMO.

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Jason Allen might look awfully good there at 20 afterall....:hmmm:

Depends on whether or not he's healthy. If he is, he probably won't last to us.

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:18 AM
You'd could also say that we have the MOST EXPERIENCE at the position, too. This stat is seriously flawed, IMO.

The #1 benefit of the draft is to get younger, regardless of talent.

Every team in the NFL says as much.

CosmicPal
04-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Uggggh....sorry, I accidentally hit the damn enter button when first posting this list.

BigChiefFan
04-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Every team in the NFL says as much.
I'm not saying we couldn't use some safety help, BUT we have plenty of experience at the position and just LAST YEAR, we brought in Knight. Also, just LAST YEAR Wesley MOVED to the FS position, I don't believe the organization believes that is our biggest need and I would agree. Until we get a pass-rush, even Pro Bowler Surtain looks average.

DMAC
04-24-2006, 10:29 AM
You'd could also say that we have the MOST EXPERIENCE at the position, too. This stat is seriously flawed, IMO.This is pretty much saying that all of our talent is leaving us soon, because of the age. So the need is there to get younger.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't think it's deceptive at all,

you just say that because it points to safety like you want it to.

doesn't take into account that some positions allow players to stay competitive at a much older age. (like quarterback,offensive line ... even tightend to a certain extent)

CosmicPal
04-24-2006, 10:32 AM
The saddest thing of all is how young we are in the DE position, yet it remains to be one of our most pressing needs. The same can be said for the CB position.

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm not saying we couldn't use some safety help, BUT we have plenty of experience at the position and just LAST YEAR, we brought in Knight. Also, just LAST YEAR Wesley MOVED to the FS position, I don't believe the organization believes that is our biggest need and I would agree. Until we get a pass-rush, even Pro Bowler Surtain looks average.

Experience ≠ good

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:37 AM
you just say that because it points to safety like you want it to.

doesn't take into account that some positions allow players to stay competitive at a much older age. (like quarterback,offensive line ... even tightend to a certain extent)

the reason I want a safety is because we need one...

DUH!

htismaqe
04-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Also something to keep in mind:

Sammy Knight was brought in to play SS in GUNTHER'S scheme.

He's gonna be a liability if we play predominantly cover 2.

Mr. Laz
04-24-2006, 10:47 AM
DUH!

Like,Like ... Ohmygawd

http://www.matusic.com/valley_girl.gif

Mecca
04-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Every Safety on the roster should be replaced over the next 2 years........

buddha
04-24-2006, 04:08 PM

No...the the objective isn't to get younger through the draft. That happens no matter which team you're talking about. The objective is to get BETTER through the draft.

I think it's interesting to see where the oldest players are on the roster, but that's a minor consideration when you look at the NEEDS of a team...and I mean starting needs. I don't care what our experience is like at CB, we don't have two NFL starting calibre CBs right now...period. Unless you are related to Eric Hicks, the same could be said of our DEs.

You draft for depth in the mid to late rounds. You draft for impact on the first day. At least you do if you're smart!

penchief
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM

How'd you make that symbol? My keyboard doesn't have that.

jspchief
04-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Regardless of the age of our safeties, anyone that thinks we don't need a safety must have missed all the times that Wesley didn't provide deep help to the CBs last year.

It's not just that we're old, we're also bad at that position.

htismaqe
04-25-2006, 07:57 AM
How'd you make that symbol? My keyboard doesn't have that.

Start -> Run -> charmap.exe

htismaqe
04-25-2006, 07:59 AM
No...the the objective isn't to get younger through the draft. That happens no matter which team you're talking about. The objective is to get BETTER through the draft.

I think it's interesting to see where the oldest players are on the roster, but that's a minor consideration when you look at the NEEDS of a team...and I mean starting needs. I don't care what our experience is like at CB, we don't have two NFL starting calibre CBs right now...period. Unless you are related to Eric Hicks, the same could be said of our DEs.

You draft for depth in the mid to late rounds. You draft for impact on the first day. At least you do if you're smart!

I see I left out a word -- "side".

Obviously, you're drafting to get better. The #1 SIDE benefit of the draft is that you're automatically making your team younger.

And like you, I don't care about experience. I just thought it was interesting that taking age into the equation only REINFORCES our need for a good safety.

buddha
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
We need help at safety...no question about it. I just think we are in a desperation situation at CB. It's an immediate position of need. We could start the season with our current safeties, but not what we have at CB. Granted, there are many ways to correct those situations, but I'm tired of CB being an open wound every single year! Can anybody even remember Lewis and Ross? That was the last time we had both CB spots really tied up, IMHO.

This is an unusual draft in that there are plenty of really good CB prospects...but probably not enough to last until KC picks in the 2nd round. I think we have to get one of the top ones in the first round.

ct
04-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not so sure the coaching staff agrees that CB is a desperate need. Gibbs just brought over Walls, and Gun was psyched about Battle last year. Sapp just signed his RFA tender, and Hodge is a young project. So I'm just not convinced they see a 1st round MUST need at CB.

htismaqe
04-25-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree. I think Walls will start. I think the coaching staff will likely look for CB depth later in the draft.

And while I remember Lewis and Ross, I also acknowledge that those days are over. Cover 2 defense is completely different than that, and requires much different corners.

Not to mention emphasis on rules that would have never allowed Lewis and Ross to perform the way they did...

CosmicPal
04-25-2006, 12:17 PM
I can live with Surtain, Walls, Battle, and Sapp. However, it needs upgraded talent.

A wise draft this year that includes three of the four in the first three rounds: DE, DT, CB, and S, will go a long ways to improving the defense. If not right now- in a couple of years.

Too many teams have three good wideouts and a good TE in this league. Denver put Champ Bailey on TG and nearly shut him down. Getting a tremedous talent at CB in the first year such as Tye Hill can go a long ways at shuffling our secondary around to match up with Gates, Heap, and some of the more athletic TE's that will be coming into the league this year alone.

htismaqe
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think we'll draft Tye Hill. Gunther likes bigger CB's, and taller CB's are an asset in the Cover 2 as well.

ct
04-25-2006, 12:45 PM
I can live with Surtain, Walls, Battle, and Sapp. However, it needs upgraded talent.

A wise draft this year that includes three of the four in the first three rounds: DE, DT, CB, and S, will go a long ways to improving the defense. If not right now- in a couple of years.

Too many teams have three good wideouts and a good TE in this league. Denver put Champ Bailey on TG and nearly shut him down. Getting a tremedous talent at CB in the first year such as Tye Hill can go a long ways at shuffling our secondary around to match up with Gates, Heap, and some of the more athletic TE's that will be coming into the league this year alone.

I agree with you up until Tye Hill. Especially the bolded section! :clap:

Just think, if we were to trade back 5-10 spots, p/up an additional 3rd (maybe 2nd if somebody is desperate), we might get all four!! Or squeeze in a OT, WR or QB prospect.

penchief
04-25-2006, 05:43 PM

Okay.....where's the charmap.exe key?

penchief
04-25-2006, 05:49 PM

Cool. Never knew that existed.

My "not equal to" is more emphatic than yours.