View Full Version : Merrill: PICKING PASSERS EARLY JUST ISN’T KC’S STYLE

Wile_E_Coyote
04-24-2006, 12:09 PM
EDIT: I changed the title it wasn't at all fair to Elizabeth Merrill
My BAD

Chiefs not in a rush to draft QB

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

After two years of scouting up North, Jim Criner thought he’d glimpsed Kansas City’s future. Twenty-four years old, legs like Vince Young, talent as wide as the Canadian landscape.

Criner gave his pitch and said something that always sounds good at Arrowhead when it comes to quarterbacks.

“Here’s a young guy,” Criner said, “that we don’t have to draft.”

The Chiefs will gamble on fourth and goal with 1 tick on the clock, they’ll roll the dice that Trent Green will stay healthy for one more year, but they’re never too keen on risking a first-day draft pick on a quarterback.

Maybe that’s why the Chiefs’ brass took time last week to hype Casey Printers, that young man who starred in the CFL and signed with Kansas City in January. Printers, by all accounts, is their quarterback of the future — a rare developmental hope for a franchise that has preferred riding with veterans.

This is the 18th draft for Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson, and only twice has he selected a quarterback before the fourth round — Mike Elkins in 1989 and Matt Blundin in 1992. Both were second-round picks, and neither made it into the starting lineup. But they traded a first-round pick for Green in 2001, and he’s started 80 straight games.

“When you take your first pick at quarterback, you don’t want to be wrong,” Peterson said. “The other thing is that you’ve got to probably play him really quick, and if he loses his confidence or gets the dog kicked out of him and so forth, you may lose him completely.

“You know what you’re getting when you trade for a quarterback rather than when you draft one.”

This weekend’s draft has three high-profile quarterbacks who’ll go in the first round: USC’s Matt Leinart, Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler and Young of Texas.

After that, there’s a dramatic dropoff in the pool. Georgia’s D.J. Shockley, Alabama’s Brodie Croyle, Clemson’s Charlie Whitehurst and Oregon’s Kellen Clemens could become future starters in the NFL but probably won’t be drafted until the second day.

Would the Chiefs bite if Shockley or Croyle were still on the board in the fifth round? If there was ever a year to stockpile quarterbacks, this would be it. Green will be 36 this fall, and his longtime backup, Todd Collins, is gone. Kansas City’s list of backups is down to Printers, Damon Huard and James Kilian, who’s playing in Europe. Huard is the only backup with NFL experience, but he’s thrown just one pass in the last five years.

“I feel good about our quarterback situation right now,” Peterson said. “Does that mean we won’t draft a quarterback? No. If the right one is there and he’s someone we’re excited about, we could step up and do it.”

New coach Herm Edwards knows all about the need for quarterback depth. When he was with the Jets last year, he lost Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler in one game. At one point, they were so desperate they asked 41-year-old Vinny Testaverde to shake off the cobwebs.
New York finished the season 4-12.

Asked what the Chiefs’ long-term plan was at quarterback, Edwards said: “Right now our plan is that Trent Green is our starting quarterback and as long as he can keep performing the way he’s performing and we can keep him standing, he’s going to be fine.

“I don’t want to try to fix that right away. I hope he can play another five years. We’re going to have to address that position eventually, but hopefully we can protect him. I went through that already, losing a quarterback. I played a fifth-stringer, and it’s not a lot of fun, believe me.”

Edwards pointed out that Green was a backup for the first part of his career and watched in St. Louis when he tore his ACL. So he hasn’t taken the typical pounding of a 30-something quarterback.

The Chiefs will point out that Green wasn’t big-board fodder during the 1993 draft, either. San Diego selected him in the eighth round, then cut him the next year.

As for Printers, he’s considered a rookie quarterback and will count against the Chiefs’ rookie pool. Criner said it could easily take two years before he’s ready.

“Maybe he is the future of the Kansas City Chiefs,” Peterson said. “I don’t know that at this particular point. But we signed him for a reason, to find out.”

<HR class=tagline color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

To reach Elizabeth Merrill, Chiefs reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4744 or send e-mail to lmerrill@kcstar.com (lmerrill@kcstar.com)

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Merrill: GMs who draft 1st round QB busts get fired
So that's what Allard Baird has to do to get canned.

CoMoChief
04-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Man I cant wait to watch this Printers kid in preseason games. Im waiting for him to take it and run it all over defenses like Vick does.

CoMoChief
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
So that's what Allard Baird has to do to get canned.

GM's who havent made a SB in 18 years when everyone else in your division has made it there in that time span, should also get fired.

morphius
04-24-2006, 12:17 PM
When you are drafting in the top few spots, and you are in need of a QB, your situation is already pretty dire. That you may lose your job isn't really a big shock.

Sure-Oz
04-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah im real interested to see how printers does.

Dunit35
04-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I am rooting for Printers to excel at the QB position. I just hope Green can stay as healthy as possible for the next few seasons.

KCTitus
04-24-2006, 12:22 PM
It was Carl's Blackledge debacle that has him gun shy on drafting QB's in the first round. I dont blame him, really, that pick really sucked. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Thread title changed

BigRock
It was Carl's Blackledge debacle that has him gun shy on drafting QB's in the first round. I dont blame him, really, that pick really sucked. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Blackledge was years before Carl, wasn't he?

chefsos
Hee hee hee. This never gets old.

morphius
04-24-2006, 12:28 PM
shhhhhhhhh.

Its a long running joke, people used to bitch about Carl's drafting of Blackledge as a reason to fire Carl...

BTW, do you know what a H Back is?

:D

StcChief
04-24-2006, 12:31 PM

yeah....but nice to make Carl the fall guy again.
:)

KCTitus
04-24-2006, 12:35 PM
shhhhhhhhh.

Its a long running joke, people used to bitch about Carl's drafting of Blackledge as a reason to fire Carl...

Well not exactly...it has long been established that even invalid criticisms of Carl have been acceptable 'factual' evidence as proof that Carl is the worst GM in the NFL.

This is my way of just 'adding to the list' as it were.

rad
04-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Maybe it was yesterday. And maybe this post is reading you.

KCTitus
04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Maybe it was yesterday. And maybe this post is reading you.

There is no spoon...