PDA

View Full Version : Just got in a wreck

epitome1170
04-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Just got into a wreck (a hour ago), some old lady pulled out in front of me (her fault), so now my car is done.

So I am looking for a car, around $15k or less, with gas mileage around 30 MPG (or greater). I like to drive fast so anything with any kind of HP helps. I used to drive an eclipse.

Any suggestions for me?

Donger
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Just got into a wreck (a hour ago), some old lady pulled out in front of me (her fault), so now my car is done.

So I am looking for a car, around $15k or less, with gas mileage around 30 MPG (or greater). I like to drive fast so anything with any kind of HP helps. I used to drive an eclipse.

Any suggestions for me?

VW GTI, 1.8 Turbo, circa 2003.

big nasty kcnut
04-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Get a mustang about a 2003 model for your asking price take to a garage to see if it messed up and you'll have a good car.

Phobia
04-24-2006, 05:55 PM
I highly recommend a 2001 XTerra. They're fast. Maybe the canteen green color....

thebrad84
04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
I have a 2004 Mazda 3 (that unfortunately just got F'ed up by hail). Anyways, great car.I absolutely love it. I bought mine brand new for around 19K, and its the S-type (160hp). It gets 26/32 mpg. You could easily get a 2004-2005 used for $15K. Get a manual if you can drive one..it's a lot more fun than the auto.

Rain Man
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
If you like to drive fast, you should buy a car that won't go fast.

Trust me on this one. It's the best advice I can give you.

QuikSsurfer
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
VW GTI, 1.8 Turbo, circa 2003.
VW
:thumb:

Donger
04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I highly recommend a 2001 XTerra. They're fast. Maybe the canteen green color....

I had an XTerra as a rental a few weeks ago. I was surprised how badly it drove. Now, it was a rental, so maybe something was wrong with it. I think it had a supercharged engine? Suspension and brakes were crap.

Jilly
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Saturn Ion....it's the best car I've ever owned and GREAT gas mileage. The coupe is awesome because it has the suicide doors....so it doesn't look like a "mom" car, but you still get the convenience of opening the back door to let people in, etc.

Donger
04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
VW

I admit, I really like my GTI. 2002 with only 16K miles on it. Fast little f*cker too and great mileage. I chipped the ECU and get 200+ horsepower (apparently). They aren't the most reliable cars, however.

thebrad84
04-24-2006, 06:19 PM
By the way, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Any injuries to yourself or the old hag?

Sure-Oz
04-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Damn sorry to hear, glad you can post about it.

lightsout04
04-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Look at a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Its a sweet car.

epitome1170
04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
By the way, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Any injuries to yourself or the old hag?

No surprisingly nothing serious. My back is probably out of alignment so I am going to a chirpractor on Friday to take a look. (I know some of you hate chiro's. but I have one that I have been seeing off and on for years that I love.

Nothing bad with the lady though, she was shakin' up a bit, I think she threw up on herself... mildly amusing.

epitome1170
04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
I admit, I really like my GTI. 2002 with only 16K miles on it. Fast little f*cker too and great mileage. I chipped the ECU and get 200+ horsepower (apparently). They aren't the most reliable cars, however.

What seems to be the problem with them? What is unreliable about them?

Also what kind of mileage you get on that thing?

Donger
04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
What seems to be the problem with them? What is unreliable about them?

Also what kind of mileage you get on that thing?

I wouldn't know. I've no problems with mine. But, check out vwvortex.com. Those guys are scary VW heads.

I get about 32 mpg highway and 25 city, and I stomp it in the city.

epitome1170
04-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I have a 2004 Mazda 3 (that unfortunately just got F'ed up by hail). Anyways, great car.I absolutely love it. I bought mine brand new for around 19K, and its the S-type (160hp). It gets 26/32 mpg. You could easily get a 2004-2005 used for $15K. Get a manual if you can drive one..it's a lot more fun than the auto.

I do really like those cars. I test drove one a few months ago... pretty sweet. Of course I like the RX8's a lot more, but those run a bit more.

thebrad84
04-24-2006, 07:16 PM
I do really like those cars. I test drove one a few months ago... pretty sweet. Of course I like the RX8's a lot more, but those run a bit more.
Yeah, I've already told myself that once I have enough money I will be going back for a RX8. Those things are amazing machines, both inside and out. However, when it came time for me to purchase a new car a couple years ago, the RX8 was only something I could dream about. The 3 was a nice car to "settle" for though. I also like how a souped up 6 looks, but again, they were a bit out of my price range as well. 3's (the S-types) have the sporty look, spacious inside (seats 4 very comfortably), and still has some nice pick-up-and-go with a manual. They also have the most amazing turn radius. You can do a U-turn on just about any two-way road imaginable. Seeing how I almost never write any directions down, (I always think I can just remember), it comes in handy a lot.

greg63
04-24-2006, 07:33 PM

...Not a Mercury or a Ford? :D

Miles
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
You may take a look at the 02-03 Acura RSX. The Type S model has pretty solid performace and gets around 24/31.

Bob Dole
04-24-2006, 10:42 PM
I used to drive an eclipse.

You're a chick?

dj56dt58
04-24-2006, 10:53 PM
old people shouldn't be allowed to drive

Halfcan
04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
old people shouldn't be allowed to drive

My Grandma is 90 years old and still drives. I won't ride with her, she scares the hell out of me, but she still drives. She recently had it out with the DMV, so they gave her another license. Sitting on two pillows, she sees through the wheel and the dash, while driving a brisk 45 miles per hour on I 70. Thank goodness she only drives in the daylight now, due to poor vision. I worry, but she won't listen.

wutamess
04-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the club :thumb:
Totalled my Rodeo last month.

Some reason I have dejavu. :hmmm:

Jenny Gump
04-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Glad you are ok Jamie.

Jenny Gump
04-24-2006, 11:28 PM
oops wrong thread. i need to go to bed.

SBK
04-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Go get a Civic SI.

Phobia
04-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I had an XTerra as a rental a few weeks ago. I was surprised how badly it drove. Now, it was a rental, so maybe something was wrong with it. I think it had a supercharged engine? Suspension and brakes were crap.

I dunno - they are highly rated vehicles according to any consumer reporting group. I'm not in love with ours but it's a pretty decent little vehicle. I'm accustomed to a little more highly performing vehicle so that's probably why I'm slightly disappointed in this one.

StcChief
04-25-2006, 01:02 PM
No surprisingly nothing serious. My back is probably out of alignment so I am going to a chirpractor on Friday to take a look. (I know some of you hate chiro's. but I have one that I have been seeing off and on for years that I love.

Nothing bad with the lady though, she was shakin' up a bit, I think she threw up on herself... mildly amusing.

Take Rainman's advise as well.......

Don't let Her insurance company offer you medical release cheap ($5k)
until your sure your back, arms, etc are ok. Takes a while after accident to realize if a problem is there....trust me on this one....

ct
04-25-2006, 01:02 PM
If you like to drive fast, you should buy a car that won't go fast.

Trust me on this one. It's the best advice I can give you.

ROFL

I know this is NOT intended to be funny, but just hit me as hilarious!!

sd4chiefs
04-25-2006, 01:12 PM

I have been looking at getting a new car and when I look at websites like consumer reports and edmunds the Mazda 3 always gets top ratings.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-25-2006, 01:14 PM
If peeing your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Take Rainman's advise as well.......

Don't let Her insurance company offer you medical release cheap ($5k)
until your sure your back, arms, etc are ok. Takes a while after accident to realize if a problem is there....trust me on this one....

I have the option since her insurance people already took responsibility for the accident to either go through them or my insurance people. Any advice on what I should do as far as for my car and all of that? Is it better to go through your own company or the other person's or does it even matter?

RockChalk
04-25-2006, 01:19 PM

Any suggestions for me?

http://adamtaylorsmith.trumpetpower.com/Lou/car.jpg

I know it has some minor body/engine damage...I'm willing to negotiate a fair deal here

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 01:23 PM

I know it has some minor body/engine damage...I'm willing to negotiate a fair deal here

ROFL

I will take it off your hands if you pay me a few hundred

Phobia
04-25-2006, 01:25 PM

Do you think the front clip would fit on a Nissan pickup?

RockChalk
04-25-2006, 01:27 PM

ROFL
Where I come from we make it fit

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Speaking of... I am in the market for a new vehicle. I was thinking of a truck at one time, but I like cars too. This way maybe I can have both.

RockChalk
04-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Speaking of... I am in the market for a new vehicle. I was thinking of a truck at one time, but I like cars too. This way maybe I can have both.

Ah, I just bought a Honda Ridgeline about a month ago...absolutely love it. I realize it's a little bit out of your priceline, but I'm enjoying thus far. I had it for about a week and then it got spraypainted by some kids, so that was fun. Luckily it only cost a couple hundred bucks to get it off.

What trucks have you been looking at?

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Ah, I just bought a Honda Ridgeline about a month ago...absolutely love it. I realize it's a little bit out of your priceline, but I'm enjoying thus far. I had it for about a week and then it got spraypainted by some kids, so that was fun. Luckily it only cost a couple hundred bucks to get it off.

What trucks have you been looking at?

None in particular yet, just sort of checking around. Still trying to get all of the insurance crap out of the way. Still not sure who to go through, their company or mine.

RockChalk
04-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Personally, I would have my insurance guy handle all of it. They will get $$$ from her insurance company a lot faster than you will. But I also have a clean insurance record, so my rates wouldn't jump much, if any at all.

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Personally, I would have my insurance guy handle all of it. They will get $$$ from her insurance company a lot faster than you will. But I also have a clean insurance record, so my rates wouldn't jump much, if any at all.

Why would my rates jump if her company is paying for it all? I guess I was under the thought that if it is her fault then her company takes all the hit and mine none.

StcChief
04-25-2006, 01:55 PM
None in particular yet, just sort of checking around. Still trying to get all of the insurance crap out of the way. Still not sure who to go through, their company or mine.

Accident scene, witness, tickets given????

If possible you don't want to make a claim on YOUR policy...neither will your insurance guy.

Phobia
04-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Why would my rates jump if her company is paying for it all? I guess I was under the thought that if it is her fault then her company takes all the hit and mine none.

If your insurance company has to manage the case, it is still costing them money. I don't know how or even if that impacts your premiums but if the other lady's company is reputable I'd deal straight with them.

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Accident scene, witness, tickets given????

If possible you don't want to make a claim on YOUR policy...neither will your insurance guy.

Ticket given to her. Her company called me today and said they could handle it if I wanted and they claimed full responsibility for it.

RockChalk
04-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Ticket given to her. Her company called me today and said they could handle it if I wanted and they claimed full responsibility for it.

Since her company has taken the initiative to contact you and admit guilt, I would let them handle it. If I'm understanding correctly, your car is totaled so you are wanting a check for the value of the vehicle. Just don't get ripped on the value, because you may not agree with what they come up with. I'd be sure to include your chiropractor, hospital bills, etc. as well, since she is liable.

In response to rates jumping if you made the claim on your insurance...some insurance companies will see you as a risk, even if the accident was not your fault. I'm not saying your rates would jump, but there have been cases where it has happened

MahiMike
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
VW

Better yet. Get the VW TDI! 49 mpg.

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Since her company has taken the initiative to contact you and admit guilt, I would let them handle it. If I'm understanding correctly, your car is totaled so you are wanting a check for the value of the vehicle. Just don't get ripped on the value, because you may not agree with what they come up with. I'd be sure to include your chiropractor, hospital bills, etc. as well, since she is liable.

In response to rates jumping if you made the claim on your insurance...some insurance companies will see you as a risk, even if the accident was not your fault. I'm not saying your rates would jump, but there have been cases where it has happened

I assume they will pay for my radar detector that got messed up too?

Phobia
04-25-2006, 02:16 PM
I assume they will pay for my radar detector that got messed up too?

I'm guessing you assume wrong.

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm guessing you assume wrong.

I guess i should say I am HOPING not assuming. I think they should though. Anything in my car that was damaged they should be responsible for.

ct
04-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I guess i should say I am HOPING not assuming. I think they should though. Anything in my car that was damaged they should be responsible for.

Did your crack pipe get busted too? Make sure you list that on your expense report. :)

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Did your crack pipe get busted too? Make sure you list that on your expense report. :)

No... left that at home yesterday, just my bong got busted.

I am just all about getting as much as I can out of insurance companies.

ct
04-25-2006, 02:26 PM
No... left that at home yesterday, just my bong got busted.

I am just all about getting as much as I can out of insurance companies.

When you fill out the paperwork, list your ethnicity as "American Indian", then claim your religious artifacts were ruined. And be sure to specify "Yoga Instructor" as your 2nd occupation.

epitome1170
04-25-2006, 02:33 PM
When you fill out the paperwork, list your ethnicity as "American Indian", then claim your religious artifacts were ruined. And be sure to specify "Yoga Instructor" as your 2nd occupation.

ROFL

Will that work? That is brilliant, I wish I had thought of that first. I thought of going for the mental distress approach, but that may be better

John_Wayne
04-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Any suggestions for me? Don't be surprised if it's not 100% her fault. PM me if you want more insider info from an insurance adjuster.