PDA

View Full Version : Tool fans

ChiefFripp
04-24-2006, 11:43 PM
I know there are a ton of Tool fans on this BB lately so I wanted to take this chance to pimp one of the bands Tool was HEAVILY influenced by. King Crimson was doing (atleat instrumentally), what Tool does from way back in the 70s. If you like the off kilter drumming, mixed time signatures, controlled mayhem, extended instrumental passages, Dark and forboding atmosphere of Tool, you may also love these Instrumentals by King Crimson. I think if you download these songs and put your playlist in this order(some instrumentals) lead into others, you may find some music that you will like as much as Tool's. I picked their darker heavy themed material.

Lark's Toungues In Aspic, Part 1
Fracture
Discipline
A Sailor's Tale
Elektric
Level 5
Dangerous Curves
B'Boom-Thrak
The Talking Drum
Lark's Toungues in Aspic Part2
LTiA Pt 4
Starless(From the album Red)
The Dawn Song

Reaper16
04-25-2006, 10:12 AM
A lot of us proggers are keenly aware of King Crimson. Great stuff.

Fish
04-25-2006, 02:47 PM
I heard King Crimson play once about 5-6 years ago. I wanted to see them because I had heard that they were a huge influence on Tool. I was unimpressed..... but I'll check out the songs you've listed here.... in case I didn't "get it" the first time...

chagrin
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM

ROFL
King Crimson, who is that?

ChiefFripp
04-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Well i know you proggers/classic rock enthusiast will know of them, I'm not trying to make them out to be some obscure band. I just know that Tool draws a hugely larger audience than just Prog enthusiast, so I can imagine some of them not really knowing Crimson's work.

chagrin
04-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I'll go a step further:

What do King Crimson, Asia, ELP, ELP (the 2nd incarnation with the "P" being for Powell) and Buggles have in common?

Just kidding, carry on

P.S. How could you not list "In the Court of the Crimson King"

ChiefFripp
04-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Too bad ELP and ASIA BLOW ASS!

Just my humble opinion.

chagrin
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
ELP Blows?

wow dude, go back and listen to "Brain Salad Surgery" again, because I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I don't mean that to be an insult but I really doubt you've heard any of it based upon what you've written here; Asia, I'm with you on though.

Anyone over the age of 30 will know King Crimson, anyone with a broad tastes of music will also know them.

BTW - great job on that Gatorade thread, that cracked me the fug up dude!

ChiefFripp
04-25-2006, 03:23 PM
ELP Blows?

wow dude, go back and listen to "Brain Salad Surgery" again, because I don't think you know what you're talking about.

I don't mean that to be an insult but I really doubt you've heard any of it based upon what you've written here; Asia, I'm with you on though.

Anyone over the age of 30 will know King Crimson, anyone with a broad tastes of music will also know them.

BTW - great job on that Gatorade thread, that cracked me the fug up dude!
I haven't listened to too much ELP ,but I was joking anyways. I don't normally say bands "blow ass" ,because it's just subjective anyways. I'm not really a progger myself(other than liking Crimson and Floyd), but I may pick up Brain Salad Surgery when I get Nursery Cryme and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...if I can find them at a used CD shop.