PDA

View Full Version : For all you political theorists...

58-4ever
04-25-2006, 08:53 AM
I need to find two movies for my capstone class that correlate to eachother politically. 17-20 page paper, due by next Wednesday. Any supplementary reading would be helpful too.

StcChief
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Get busy....Do some research, hit the internet,

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Does it have to be only two? I think that you may find it rewarding if you analyzed three movies...like say "Green Berets" "Platoon" and "Fog of War"....look at the way that they engage in a conversation about the role of the military in Vietnam, the justifications for the war, and so on. You have two contrasting fictional pieces and one documentary "Fog", so it would provide you with a multiplicity of views from which to approach the paper.

58-4ever
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Does it have to be only two? I think that you may find it rewarding if you did analyzed three movies...like say "Green Berets" "Platoon" and "Fog of War"....look at the way that they engage in a conversation about the role of the military in Vietnam, the justifications for the war, and so on. You have two contrasting fictional pieces and one documentary "Fog", so it would provide you with a multiplicity of views from which to approach the paper.

were any of those movies based on a book that I could cite? Because that is an excellent idea.
:)

NewChief
04-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Could also do Good Night and Good Luck and All the Presidents Men with an analysis of the role of the press in politics. If you want to go with a third, throw in Outfoxed and write it about the changing role of the press over time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
were any of those movies based on a book that I could cite? Because that is an excellent idea.
:)

What are your source requirements? You can cite movies of course. What I might recommend that you do is log onto your schools library page and check out their research databases. Through there you can use sites such as Lexis Nexis and Academic Search Premier to look for articles that discuss any of the given films (of which there will be several, particularly regarding Fog of War given that it was so recent)

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Could also do Good Night and Good Luck and All the Presidents Men with an analysis of the role of the press in politics. If you want to go with a third, throw in Outfoxed and write it about the changing role of the press over time.

This is also an excellent idea. You could use a ton of books from this angle: ATPM was of course based upon writings of Woodward and Bernstein and the book of the same title should be readily available. There are several books about McCarthyism that could clue you in for GN&GL. Outfoxed would go along well with Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them, and several websites such as FAIR and mediawatch.

58-4ever
04-25-2006, 09:14 AM
I really appreciate these ideas. After a semester of mastering the Japanese language and writing about 7 five page papers, my brain is running on fumes.

Delano
04-25-2006, 09:22 AM

I am working on an assignment that is very similar to the threadstarter. I have decided to go with the media's role in politics just as NewChief recommended. Some other movies that may be worthwhile include: Wag the Dog, Broadcast News, Absence of Malice and The Year of Living Dangerously.

58-4ever - PM me if you want any more help or anything. I am running on fumes at the end of this semester as well. I am glad it is almost over. It would be nice to see what you come up with! Good luck!

58-4ever
04-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I am working on an assignment that is very similar to the threadstarter. I have decided to go with the media's role in politics just as NewChief recommended. Some other movies that may be worthwhile include: Wag the Dog, Broadcast News, Absence of Malice and The Year of Living Dangerously.

58-4ever - PM me if you want any more help or anything. I am running on fumes at the end of this semester as well. I am glad it is almost over. It would be nice to see what you come up with! Good luck!

I think I'm going with the Vietnam idea. We had a similar focus to NewChief's idea earlier in the semester, although it's a great idea. Delano - I'll let you know. Good luck to you as well.

Baby Lee
04-25-2006, 09:41 AM
Why go for the familar ground?
I'd suggest looking into Scorsese's research on the neo-realism of post-war Italian cinema.

trndobrd
04-25-2006, 11:08 AM
For the viewpoint of the average American you might want to work in "Caught From Behind 8" with Ron Jeremy playing the role of the Federal Tax Code.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Why go for the familar ground?
I'd suggest looking into Scorsese's research on the neo-realism of post-war Italian cinema.

I think that runs the risk of falling off the deep end of film theory rather than a true political analysis that someone could actually feasibly ground themselves in with a limited amount of research, particularly within a poli sci class of which you have no idea of the amount of interdisciplinarity that is allowed. That's much more of a thesis than it is a fifteen page paper.

MOhillbilly
04-25-2006, 11:34 AM
1984 ACWO

Baby Lee
04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
I need to find two movies for my capstone class that correlate to eachother politically. 17-20 page paper, due by next Wednesday. Any supplementary reading would be helpful too.
Another might be to compare the pessimism of Apocalypse Now to the optimism of Star Wars [or even Rocky I], and how they reflected/affected the political mood of their respective times.