PDA

View Full Version : How much would you spend?

luv
04-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Okay, I forgot that I have a few more things to sell. How much would you spend for ....

hp pavilion 15" monitor - a year and a half old
Same brand keyboard - a few letters worn
Same brand ball mouse - works fine

10 gallon aquarium tank and about 10 punds of gravel (for said aquarium).

I know I want to go a little higher than what I expect on the price tag due to people talking me down in price, but I don't want it to be so overpriced that people won't even consider it.

Rain Man
04-25-2006, 12:24 PM
This won't commit me to a purchase, will it?

luv
04-25-2006, 12:26 PM
This won't commit me to a purchase, will it?
Nope. Not at all. Just trying to get some ballpark figures.

Keep in mind, that I would almost be willing to just give away this desk.

Rain Man
04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Washer and dryer - $50 if they look good

Table - $100 if it looks good

Mattress - Won't bring much. Maybe $20 if there are no suspicious stains

Computer Desk - $10

I should put you in touch with my mom. She could tell you to the penny.

jspchief
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd say you should be able to get back what you paid for most of that stuff. Things like that reach a point where they don't depreciate from anything other than the condition they're in.

$100 for W/D that works is a decent price
$200 for dining set is good price
$200 for matresses might be a little high. Most people don't like to buy used matresses.
Computer desk, good luck. Those things are disposable. Try $25.

Fish
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM

Dude...... Redrum is gonna be all over that one.....

luv
04-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Washer and dryer - $50 if they look good

Table - $100 if it looks good

Mattress - Won't bring much. Maybe $20 if there are no suspicious stains

Computer Desk - $10

Cool. $180 was about the amount I need. If I can get anywhere from $150-200, then I think I'll be doing really good. I expect to get the most out of the kitchen table. It's in excellent shape.

Donger
04-25-2006, 12:36 PM
I have almost enough money to get a few items that I've been wanting. By selling the stuff that I'm replacing the new items with, that should put me having the money I need.

What the hell is wrong with you? Just put it on your credit card. It's like getting it for free!

luv
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
I'd say you should be able to get back what you paid for most of that stuff. Things like that reach a point where they don't depreciate from anything other than the condition they're in.

$100 for W/D that works is a decent price
$200 for dining set is good price
$200 for matresses might be a little high. Most people don't like to buy used matresses.
Computer desk, good luck. Those things are disposable. Try $25.
These are the prices I was going to go with on a high end.

Except I was going to put $75 on the mattress set. No unusual stains, good shape, but it is used and only a full size. Most people are like me and want at least a queen.

Probably putting $20 on the desk. They'll be able to talk me way down. I just want to get rid of it.

luv
04-25-2006, 12:39 PM
What the hell is wrong with you? Just put it on your credit card. It's like getting it for free!
ROFL

I pay cash as much as possible. About the only thing I put on the good ol' credit card is gas and items purchased on the internet. And I only purchase what I know I'll be able to pay off at the end of the month. Maybe a second month.

Donger
04-25-2006, 12:40 PM
These are the prices I was going to go with on a high end.

Except I was going to put $75 on the mattress set. No unusual stains, good shape, but it is used and only a full size. Most people are like me and want at least a queen.

Probably putting $20 on the table. They'll be able to talk me way down. I just want to get rid of it.

You should hire my wife to sell this stuff. She convinced me to have a garage sale last year. She sold the stuff and I was basically the security guard.

She took in $1,200 in 4 hours. It was last July and one of the hottest days of the year. She bought a bunch of water and put them in a cooler. $3 per bottle, and she sold every one.

luv
04-25-2006, 12:42 PM
You should hire my wife to sell this stuff. She convinced me to have a garage sale last year. She sold the stuff and I was basically the security guard.

She took in $1,200 in 4 hours. It was last July and one of the hottest days of the year. She bought a bunch of water and put them in a cooler. $3 per bottle, and she sold every one.
Very good idea. I could have my friends 5 yr old run a lemonade stand (with some supervision). She's adorable. Maybe sell some baked goods.

Rain Man
04-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Cool. $180 was about the amount I need. If I can get anywhere from $150-200, then I think I'll be doing really good. I expect to get the most out of the kitchen table. It's in excellent shape.

Please keep in mind that I'm clueless.

Oh, and I watch antique road show, so if your table is from the 1790s and was made by any of a number of Philadelphia or Carolina craftsmen, you can probably get $50,000 to $75,000 for it.

Rain Man
04-25-2006, 12:45 PM

I wonder if she could've made more by giving out free bags of pretzels and charging $5 for the water.

luv
04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Please keep in mind that I'm clueless.

Oh, and I watch antique road show, so if your table is from the 1790s and was made by any of a number of Philadelphia or Carolina craftsmen, you can probably get $50,000 to $75,000 for it.
That might make for a good show. Have appraisers of different things go around to yard sales. Someone might get lucky. Of course you would appraise the stuff AFTER it was purchased, so the original owners get ticked off cuz they got cheated.

Donger
04-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I wonder if she could've made more by giving out free bags of pretzels and charging $5 for the water.

ROFL

The worst part was that I bet her $50 that she wouldn't sell a single bottle. Little did I know that she can influence the ambient air temperature.

trndobrd
04-25-2006, 12:50 PM

Ah-Ha! I knew this 'Donger' was just a character made up by my fiance so she could hang out on the Planet and keep an eye on me. The jig is up!

Donger
04-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Ah-Ha! I knew this 'Donger' was just a character made up by my fiance so she could hang out on the Planet and keep an eye on me. The jig is up!

ROFL

I refused to marry my wife until she agreed to eliminate her debt.

burt
04-25-2006, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=insomniac] Most people are like me and want at least a queen.
QUOTE]

Try "Missy B's" There are a lot of queens there!

burt
04-25-2006, 01:33 PM
I should put you in touch with my mom.

I can't believe that this statement has gone without comment. Where is Skip when ya need him!!!!!

luv
05-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Okay, I forgot that I have a few more things to sell. How much would you spend for ....

hp pavilion 15" monitor - a year and a half old
Same brand keyboard - a few letters worn
Same brand ball mouse - works fine

10 gallon aquarium tank and about 10 punds of gravel (for said aquarium).

greg63
05-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I have almost enough money to get a few items that I've been wanting. By selling the stuff that I'm replacing the new items with, that should put me having the money I need. I've never been one to buy major items at yard sales. I usually look for little knick-knacks, baskets, etc. I have some bigger items to sell, but I'm not sure what kind of price tag I should put on things. How much would you be willing to spend on the following items?

Washer/dryer - Not a matching set. Both are old, but both work just fine. Just looking to update. I gave $100 combined for them.

Dining room table - Excellent condition. Oval. I couldn't tell you what kind of wood. It's a little darker than oak. It just a little too big for my dining area, and I hardly use it. I'm just replacing it with something smaller. I gave $200 for it including the four matching chairs.

Full size mattress/box spring set - I've had it for two years. They're black with dark blue flowers, so sheets have to be darker/bolder for the mattress not to show through. Comfortable, but I want a bigger bed. I gave $200 for the set.

Computer desk - I don't expect to get much for this. Not in the greatest shape. One of those Wal-Mart type of put-together desks. Fake oak laminate. It was a hand-me-down.

I know I want to go a little higher than what I expect on the price tag due to people talking me down in price, but I don't want it to be so overpriced that people won't even consider it.

I'm no judge of yard sale costs but in my obvious unqualified opinion I would say you are fairly close on the washer dryer combo.

About half of what you paid for the dining room table/chairs as well as the bed set.

...10-25 dollars for the computer desk.

Don't know if this helps or not. :shrug: