PDA

View Full Version : Hacking or Getting Around Proxy Servers At work?

SLAG
04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
this is in theory

Proxy server called "Blue Coat" - www.bluecoat.com -

How would I go about getting around it?

Now it seems just like an HTTP proxy as i can still run CMD and do an ftp command from the console. Email Ports are working and functional.

How to get around the "Blue Coat"

htismaqe
04-26-2006, 09:27 AM
you're not gonna get around it.

Most organizations block general internet access at the firewall, allowing HTTP connections only from the proxy servers.

SLAG
04-26-2006, 10:07 AM
There HAS to be a way to hack it, i am already in the network now i just need to get out there is no such thing as 100% secure

Deberg_1990
04-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Try one of these in front of the site you want to go to:

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=en|en&u=

SLAG
04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Try one of these in front of the site you want to go to:

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=

i cant even access google if i could access www.proxygeek.com all would be good

Fish
04-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Do you have local admin rights on the computer?

SLAG
04-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Do you have local admin rights on the computer?
i Do not i can run executecables as well as access the command prompt

htismaqe
04-26-2006, 11:27 AM
Local admin rights on the computer won't help.

Their strategy is likely 2-tiered.

1) They configure your browser to use a proxy server.

This is pretty easy to get around if they did it manually. You can just change it. It's a little harder to get around if they do it via group policies, especially if you're not local admin on the machine.

2) They configure the firewall to block all HTTP traffic not coming from the proxy server.

This one is extremely hard to get around. The only way that I know of to do it right now is to have your machine spoof the IP address of the proxy server. Even then, most firewalls can detect and block IP spoofing.

kaplin42
04-26-2006, 12:55 PM
try this link and let me know what happens

http://www.spysurfing.com/

Saulbadguy
04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
You'll probably get fired if they catch you surfing the net after you hack the proxy server. :)

SLAG
04-26-2006, 01:11 PM
You'll probably get fired if they catch you surfing the net after you hack the proxy server. :)
well

remember this is an "Hypothetical" Situation

;)

SLAG
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
try this link and let me know what happens

seems the same as proxygeek.com

but i cant use those unless they add either of those the "approved" List.

kaplin42
04-26-2006, 01:30 PM
From this Link (http://www.peacefire.org/circumventor/simple-circumventor-instructions.html)

How to install the Circumventor program, which gets around all Web-blocking software
Bennett Haselton, last modified 6/13/2004

This page describes how to install the "Circumventor" program, which can be used to get around all Web blocking programs.

However, Please Note!! You don't actually install the Circumventor on the computer that is blocked from accessing Web sites. You, or a friend of yours, has to install the Circumventor on some other machine which is not censored.

For example, if you want to get around Web blocking at work, don't install the Circumventor on your work computer. Install the Circumventor on your home computer. When the installer is done, it will give you the URL for your new Circumventor, and then you write that URL down and take it in with you to work, where you can use that URL to bypass the Web blocking there. Similarly, if you're in China and blocked from accessing certain sites, don't install the Circumventor on a machine in China; instead, get a friend to install it outside China, and then they can send you the URL that you can use to access banned sites.

If you want to, please enter your email address below if you would like to receive updates about the Circumventor software. This will include announcements about new versions and improvements. We will never share your email address with any third party.

Enter your email address:

How to install the Circumventor
The machine where you install the Circumventor must have a fast Internet connection (not dial-up), and it must be running Windows XP or 2000 (this includes most computers these days). Also, once you install the Circumventor on your machine, the Circumventor will only work as long as you have your machine turned on and connected to the Internet, so you should only install it on machines that are online more or less all the time.

To install:

Download ActivePerl from this link and install it. It must be installed to C:\Perl (this should be the default). Accept all of the default options.
Download OpenSA 2.0.2 beta from this link and install it. Accept all of the default options. (If you get to a screen titled "Server Information" and it doesn't have values filled in for "Network Domain", "Server Name" and "Administrator's Email Address", just fill in these boxes with made-up random values -- the Circumventor doesn't use them.)
Download the circumventor-setup.exe program from this link and pick "Save" -- then once you have saved it on your computer, run the circumventor-setup.exe file that you saved.

If the circumventor-setup.exe program succeeds, it will display an "It's ready!" page at the end of the install. If it fails, it will create a file circumventor-setup-log.txt -- send that file to bennett@peacefire.org and we will try to figure out what went wrong.

Happy surfing!

Special thanks
This project was made possible by the existence of the following programs, which are generously given away for free by their authors:

OpenSA, the Open Server Architecture project, by Daniel Reichenbach -- the Web server that encrypts communications traffic and forms the backbone of the Circumventor.
CGIProxy by James Marshall -- the CGI script which fetches blocked Web pages.
Windows NT/2000/XP Utilities by Luis Carlos Castro Skertchly.
Perl by Larry Wall.

--------------------------------------------------------------

All in all I think your best bet is at home do some research on google. something like the above should work for you.

DaFace
04-26-2006, 01:35 PM
If you happen to have WindowsXP Pro on your home computer, you might be able to set up Remote Desktop on it and then just surf the internet through remote access from work. It's worked for me. Hypothetically.

htismaqe
04-26-2006, 02:40 PM
None of this will work, I can assure you.

Most firewall admins block RDP protocol, which means remote desktop won't work.

htismaqe
04-26-2006, 02:56 PM
I should also mention that in my experience doing consulting, most companies will issue a warning if you get caught wasting time on the Internet. However, deliberately bypassing network security controls will result in IMMEDIATE termination.

htismaqe
04-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I just checked out Circumventor and it may work.

You theoretically would be using your home computer as a proxy to access sites that your proxy at work won't allow.

The only issue with this is that as soon as they see 600,000 log entries in the proxy log with a destination address of your broadband connection at home, they'll shut that down too.

StcChief
04-26-2006, 03:11 PM
this is in theory

Lets say "X" employer installed a new Proxy server called "Blue Coat" - www.bluecoat.com -

How would I go about getting around it?

Now it seems just like an HTTP proxy as i can still run CMD and do an ftp command from the console. Email Ports are working and functional.

How to get around the "Blue Coat"

hits... is right...this will get you fired or moved into the IT dept.

Depends on how well you know what your doing, And can explain what your doing if caught.

Hackers are promoted (for trying to break security) or fired.....

Your choice....

SLAG
04-26-2006, 03:53 PM
my plan is to get a promotion if they fire me thats the risk im willing to take -- rdp-may work im not sure if its blocked or not i know ftp is open. circumventor may work but i doubt it -- could a change in the hosts file make any difference or not ?

SLAG
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I just checked out Circumventor and it may work.

You theoretically would be using your home computer as a proxy to access sites that your proxy at work won't allow.

The only issue with this is that as soon as they see 600,000 log entries in the proxy log with a destination address of your broadband connection at home, they'll shut that down too.

Circumventor will not work..

my IP address is not on the Approved List at work...MY approved List is very short right now.. its suppose to be expanding.. and at that point some other proxy sites may work who knows..

what i need is to fool the Blue Coat into thinking one of those proxy sites is an Approved site such as www.usps.gov or www.ups.com

I can only think of 3 other sites i have access to.

htismaqe
04-26-2006, 06:53 PM
changing the hosts file won't do shit...

Is FTP open to everywhere? You could use a remote desktop tool where you can change the ports used...

SLAG
04-26-2006, 07:06 PM
changing the hosts file won't do shit...

Is FTP open to everywhere? You could use a remote desktop tool where you can change the ports used...

Yes it seems FTP is open everywhere..

I did CMD , FTP , OPEN ftp.aol.com, ftp.chiefsplanet.com ftp.chillplace.net all work fine If i knew usernames and PW to all those places

I do have Ultra VNC installed on my PC and have been using the VNC Client on my cell phone.. it sucks.. but Ultra VNC is hella cool

unlurking
04-26-2006, 08:23 PM
As htis said, you will get caught, but if that doesn't matter to you, then do as he suggested. It looks as though FTP is open to the world, and only HTTP is blocked by site.

Actually using FTP as a proxy though won't likely work (may be software out there, but I don't know it), as FTP is UDP and HTTP is TCP. I seriously doubt they have 21 TCP open. I would check for telnet (23) or SMTP (25). Either of these can be proxied easily, and are likely open to the world like FTP. SSH (22) probably is as well, but if you set this up on a home box, you'll probably want to use SSH for admin access. You could however configure to tunnel X Windows over SSH, which will give you the ability to open Firefox (or browser of choice) on the target system and have it display on your work box. (Without dissing VNC, I actually find this a better solution because you don't transmit the graphics of an entire desktop, only the application windows you open.)

Lastly, many of the proxy content filters are "word-based". This is due to the ever-changing ip address landscape of the internet, and the ability to filter on custom language. That usually means you can simply enter the IP address of the target website (if not hosted virtually), and get to the site. Don't know about blue-coat though.

htismaqe
04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
As htis said, you will get caught, but if that doesn't matter to you, then do as he suggested. It looks as though FTP is open to the world, and only HTTP is blocked by site.

Actually using FTP as a proxy though won't likely work (may be software out there, but I don't know it), as FTP is UDP and HTTP is TCP. I seriously doubt they have 21 TCP open. I would check for telnet (23) or SMTP (25). Either of these can be proxied easily, and are likely open to the world like FTP. SSH (22) probably is as well, but if you set this up on a home box, you'll probably want to use SSH for admin access. You could however configure to tunnel X Windows over SSH, which will give you the ability to open Firefox (or browser of choice) on the target system and have it display on your work box. (Without dissing VNC, I actually find this a better solution because you don't transmit the graphics of an entire desktop, only the application windows you open.)

Lastly, many of the proxy content filters are "word-based". This is due to the ever-changing ip address landscape of the internet, and the ability to filter on custom language. That usually means you can simply enter the IP address of the target website (if not hosted virtually), and get to the site. Don't know about blue-coat though.

Great post. Elaborated on most of the things I wasn't able to articulate myself. :D

I'm so fuggin burned out on technology...

unlurking
04-27-2006, 08:30 PM
haha

I totally understand. Used to have multiple firewalls, routers , and servers in a nice rack solution. Now I'm down to a single ingress device, a few laptops and desktops and a crapload of parts I don't really feel motivated to do anything with.

I've got about 40GB of mp3's on a server I've been to lazy to setup. Working so many hours that tech is no longer the passion it once was. The family is happy to be spending more time with me, and I'm glad I've gotten out of my cave. Used to be my life, now it's just my job. Think I'm turning into one of those old farts I used to make fun of when I first got into IT. oh well

SLAG
04-27-2006, 09:47 PM

Think I could Run a Port Sniffer and see whats open?

Fish
04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Think I could Run a Port Sniffer and see whats open?

You just wanted to type "port sniffer" didn't you?

unlurking
04-27-2006, 10:39 PM
ROFL @ KC Fish

A sniffer will just tell you what traffic is visible to your machine (unless you ARP poison, and bringing down the network will definitely get you fired).

Since you seem to have "time" to do this, attracting AS LITTLE attention as possible is your best bet. If you're trying to "impress" the IT staff to get a job, setting alarms off is not going to help.

Easiest thing to do, would be to configure a linux box at home (you seem to be getting good with SUSE) with SSH on a buch of different ports.

#/ vim /etc/ssh/sshd_config

modify the first line in the file to add more ports...
(don't forget to remove the comment symbol "#")

Port 22,23,25,80,443,2200,3500,4500 (etc.)

then restart sshd...

#/ /etc/init.d/sshd stop
#/ /etc/init.d/sshd start

Then check that it's working...

#/ nmap -A localhost -p 22,23,25,80,443, (etc.)

Then when you get to the office, see if you can login over one of the open ports. At this point, all you have to do is install a proxy server on your box on the open port.

EDIT:
Unless by "port sniffer" you meant "scanner", you still need to have a box on the outside to respond to you. Also, you will often see ports respond as "filtered" rather than open or closed as most firewalls now adays act as proxies, calling into question the results of most port scans. Actually opening a connection through the firewall to the outside is least likely to be seen, and will give solid results.

SLAG
04-27-2006, 10:49 PM
ROFL @ KC Fish

A sniffer will just tell you what traffic is visible to your machine (unless you ARP poison, and bringing down the network will definitely get you fired).

Since you seem to have "time" to do this, attracting AS LITTLE attention as possible is your best bet. If you're trying to "impress" the IT staff to get a job, setting alarms off is not going to help.

Easiest thing to do, would be to configure a linux box at home (you seem to be getting good with SUSE) with SSH on a buch of different ports.

#/ vim /etc/ssh/sshd_config

modify the first line in the file to add more ports...
(don't forget to remove the comment symbol "#")

Port 22,23,25,80,443,2200,3500,4500 (etc.)

then restart sshd...

#/ /etc/init.d/sshd stop
#/ /etc/init.d/sshd start

Then check that it's working...

#/ nmap -A localhost -p 22,23,25,80,443, (etc.)

Then when you get to the office, see if you can login over one of the open ports. At this point, all you have to do is install a proxy server on your box on the open port.

EDIT:
Unless by "port sniffer" you meant "scanner", you still need to have a box on the outside to respond to you. Also, you will often see ports respond as "filtered" rather than open or closed as most firewalls now adays act as proxies, calling into question the results of most port scans. Actually opening a connection through the firewall to the outside is least likely to be seen, and will give solid results.

alright.. after my 2 mickeys 40's ware off i will take a stab at it

SLAG
04-28-2006, 05:22 PM
What if I am not able to load an SSH client on to my work machine? What would the method Be for using telnet in this case?

unlurking
04-28-2006, 05:50 PM
http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty-snapshots/x86/putty.exe

Putty is a GUI SSH client that does not install. Just execute the binary and off you go.

StcChief
04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.tartarus.org/~simon/putty-snapshots/x86/putty.exe

Putty is a GUI SSH client that does not install. Just execute the binary and off you go.Putty is a good free product for server level access.

SLAG
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Too Bad my Microsoft Thumb Drive Has not Arrived Damnit Bill :cuss:

SLAG
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I found this at the bottem of some page--

Note: Using port forwarding with FTP (Port 21) only tunnels/forwards the initial command channel, the second data channel that FTP uses even under passive mode will not be tunneled and therefore tunneling/forwarding FTP connections to bypass the security perimeter WILL NOT work.

I wonder if just ssh 22 is open?

I am also getting this error once i start ssh back up after editiing my sshd_config -

Starting SSH daemon/etc/ssh/sshd_config line 13: Badly formatted port number.
startproc: exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/sshd: 255

any ideas?

Boozer
05-03-2006, 08:12 PM
any ideas?
Tell you employer you're going to work for his competitor if he doesn't uncripple your Internet access. If he lets you walk, you probably shouldn't be spending so much time surfing the web at work.

unlurking
05-03-2006, 10:38 PM
DOH!!!

My bad, sorry!

You actually need one line for every port, so...

Port 22
Port 23
Port 25
Port 389

etc.

Sorry 'bout that. Got apache stuck in my head where you can define multiple ports using commas.

And yes, FTP uses 2 ports, 21 for control and 22 for data. Also, they are both UDP, and HTTP is TCP. Even if you change ports, the firewall will not let it through, as it is only letting UDP through over 21 and 22.

unlurking
05-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Tell you employer you're going to work for his competitor if he doesn't uncripple your Internet access. If he lets you walk, you probably shouldn't be spending so much time surfing the web at work.
ROFL

Onion_Knight
05-07-2006, 02:45 PM
DOH!!!

And yes, FTP uses 2 ports, 21 for control and 22 for data. Also, they are both UDP, and HTTP is TCP. Even if you change ports, the firewall will not let it through, as it is only letting UDP through over 21 and 22.

FTP is tcp based and uses TCP 20, and 21.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ftp.htm

TFTP is UDP based and uses UDP 69.
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/tftp.htm
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1350.html

SSH utilizes port 22 TCP

SLAG
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
FTP is tcp based and uses TCP 20, and 21.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/ftp.htm

TFTP is UDP based and uses UDP 69.
http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/tftp.htm
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1350.html

SSH utilizes port 22 TCP
Interesting Info, Thanks, Welcome to the Planet,

I also found out that there are static I.P.'s that are going to be Immune to the bluecoat restrictions, I found a list of the unrestricted IP. Address along with all the correct DNS, WINS's Server information

Does this change the plan of the Hypothetical Attack

Onion_Knight
05-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Interesting Info, Thanks, Welcome to the Planet,

I also found out that there are static I.P.'s that are going to be Immune to the bluecoat restrictions, I found a list of the unrestricted IP. Address along with all the correct DNS, WINS's Server information

Does this change the plan of the Hypothetical Attack

Most likely, These would be servers that depend on updates. I would recommend running a couple traceroutes through your network. Find out which route your normal network traffic goes through, and try and find out which route your HTTP traffic routes through. Its most likely that your gateway router has acls to redirect you to the web proxy if your using certain ports or services. The idea is to find out what traffic you can use to get out w/out restrictions. The next step would try and track down a tunneling program that is port configurable to an outside machine that retrieves your HTTP traffic as text and rebuilds the session on the box. That or start getting to know UPS and USPS. :)

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 07:58 AM
FYI, most current firewalls can detect FTP data spoofing on TCP 21.

Use a different port...

Onion_Knight
05-08-2006, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't recommend doing it all. I think its an easy way to lose your job. In fact, if you spent all this time working, that you have trying to circumvent the rules, they most likely never would have spent the money on the proxy.

They most likely have logs that look for any connection going outbound to IP addresses that they've blacklisted.

Your best chance to do get away with it is to use encrypted channels utilizing ports higher than 1024 and most likely higher than 6500. Don't use backup http ports 80-88, 8080-8088, or 443. Don't use SOCKS ports for that matter as well.

I'd try and use persuasion...

Here's a recent article on web surfing at work...show it to your bosses...try and get some feedback on at least getting a few websites returned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12462332/

SLAG
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
ok... after today's day on the job I am Determined to get around the proxy server... .my best bet seems to tunnel x11 over PuTTY,

This is where i am stuck, I have added all those ports to the sshd config file, now sshd starts fine, nmap dosent seem to be a reconized command, I cannot connect to the PC from my laptop on MY LAN... any other tips or suggestions, i ran some traceroutes and netstats as well i think i know the ip address of the Proxy or of the gateway, login.oscar.aol.com port 5190 is open to connect to AIM using lotus, but if i go to the web browser and type in login.osacr.aol.com i get nowhere.

This is more than hacking to browse the net or chiefs planet... this is personal

SLAG
05-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Ok i can log in remotley ( havent tested work yet... ) into linux from my XP box using putty..

when i try to throw the command startx from putty i get this error...

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to http://www.suse.de/feedback.

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit: unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

any suggestions?

SLAG
05-13-2006, 07:16 AM
ok i'm at work now and it looks as ssh was/is open--- now if we can get past that error message -- thanks chiefs planet You rock :thumb:

SLAG
05-13-2006, 12:46 PM
ok i am running a proxy server on my home pc on port 21, working good. I am now back online from work. HAHAHAHAHA... we shall see exactly how long this lasts

SLAG
05-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't recommend doing it all. I think its an easy way to lose your job. In fact, if you spent all this time working, that you have trying to circumvent the rules, they most likely never would have spent the money on the proxy.

They most likely have logs that look for any connection going outbound to IP addresses that they've blacklisted.

Your best chance to do get away with it is to use encrypted channels utilizing ports higher than 1024 and most likely higher than 6500. Don't use backup http ports 80-88, 8080-8088, or 443. Don't use SOCKS ports for that matter as well.

I'd try and use persuasion...

Here's a recent article on web surfing at work...show it to your bosses...try and get some feedback on at least getting a few websites returned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12462332/

Should I worry about using Port 21 as the proxy server... its working great so far.. but i would like to in "Theory " minimize my chances of calling attention to my self

SLAG
05-19-2006, 09:27 AM
well on a whim i am now using port 6501 as my proxy server... is this a good thing? any reason why this would not be a good idea?

thanks

Onion_Knight
05-23-2006, 11:40 PM
That shouldn't be too bad, it all depends on how good your administrators are. If you are even going outbound, than I'd say they probably aren't very good.

If by chance they do figure out what your doing and close you down, I'd say your next best option would be to use a dial-up connection and just not even use their network. This is the safest way to do it, since your using a completely different network.

SLAG
05-23-2006, 11:45 PM
That shouldn't be too bad, it all depends on how good your administrators are. If you are even going outbound, than I'd say they probably aren't very good.

If by chance they do figure out what your doing and close you down, I'd say your next best option would be to use a dial-up connection and just not even use their network. This is the safest way to do it, since your using a completely different network.

If i could somehow figure how how to install the usb iden drivers for my cell phone without admin access than we might have a solution i have free internet on my phone

my supervisor sat at my term. today... clicked on my desktop and opend up the web browser..

lucklily i was in at work mode and it was just a sliver of the top peice of the lounge.. where it says REPORT and the google ads...

we shall see what happens..... he didnt say anything to me about it then or later.

SLAG
05-23-2006, 11:46 PM
btw... i would think that if they did discover my way around thier proxy would they not take action INSTANTLY? wouldn't I KNOW if i was caught?

jspchief
05-24-2006, 07:21 AM
I hope they fire your ass.

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 07:27 AM
In previous lives where I was responsible for such a thing, we NEVER let people know right away. We gathered plenty of data first so that the evidence was overwhelming.

You're gonna get fired dude.

luv
05-24-2006, 09:16 AM
In previous lives where I was responsible for such a thing, we NEVER let people know right away. We gathered plenty of data first so that the evidence was overwhelming.

I wonder when the end of his pay period is. That's usually what they wait for where I work. Everyone who has ever done that has gotten fired. We're going from a timeclock to logging into a site on the computer in order to clock in. It's set up to just go to the page they need to clock in, but it is technically the internet. Should be interesting to see if anyone tries to figure out a way around that.

SLAG
05-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I hope they fire your ass.

We shall see what happens-

i'm just glad i can count on my fellow planteers to support me with unfaltering support.

getting fired is not the issue here.... once again I knew the possible concquences of my actions and I accept them although i would like to avoid them. I have accomplished my Goal of getting around "the man's" restrictions so i have some personal satisfaction in that. I have chosen not to abuse my new found internet and only access it during break periods.

burt
05-24-2006, 10:01 AM

only once......

jspchief
05-24-2006, 11:02 AM
i'm just glad i can count on my fellow planteers to support me with unfaltering support.
Why the f*ck would I support you? Just because you post on the same BB, I'm supposed to think it's ok that you're stealing from your employer, and going to ridiculous lengths to do it?

I think what you're doing makes you a piece of shit. And if I knew where you worked, I would turn you in in an instant.

I hope you lose your job and it takes you a long time to find a new one. Then maybe you'll appreciate that you get paid to work, not bilk your employer out of money.

luv
05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Why the f*ck would I support you? Just because you post on the same BB, I'm supposed to think it's ok that you're stealing from your employer, and going to ridiculous lengths to do it?

I think what you're doing makes you a piece of shit. And if I knew where you worked, I would turn you in in an instant.

I hope you lose your job and it takes you a long time to find a new one. Then maybe you'll appreciate that you get paid to work, not bilk your employer out of money.
You mean finding a way around the proxy server isn't okay even if you surf the net on your breaks and don't get caught? Who'd have thunk it.

jspchief
05-24-2006, 11:19 AM
You mean finding a way around the proxy server isn't okay even if you surf the net on your breaks and don't get caught? Who'd have thunk it.I'm not sure if that's a serious response or just a smart ass way of say "what's the big deal?".

Ask your boss if it's OK. My guess is if it was OK, you wouldn't have to "find a way around" anything.

I'm sure he's not the only one doing it here on CP. I'm just particularly put off by the time and effort he's put into it. My guess is if he put that much effort into doing his job well, he might earn a little leeway that allowed him occasional access. Or maybe even , god forbid, he'd rise to a position within the company that allowed him to grant himself the leeway.

He's the living definition of disposable employee, and the reason why illegal aliens are getting jobs in America.

luv
05-24-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm not sure if that's a serious response or just a smart ass way of say "what's the big deal?".

Ask your boss if it's OK. My guess is if it was OK, you wouldn't have to "find a way around" anything.

I'm sure he's not the only one doing it here on CP. I'm just particularly put off by the time and effort he's put into it. My guess is if he put that much effort into doing his job well, he might earn a little leeway that allowed him occasional access. Or maybe even , god forbid, he'd rise to a position within the company that allowed him to grant himself the leeway.

He's the living definition of disposable employee, and the reason why illegal aliens are getting jobs in America.
Basically sarcasm. Employers have limitations and restrictions for a reason. Someone gets on the net and accidentally gets some kind of virus. That's happened where I work. I actually couldn't agree with you more. I just wonder if he would think it was okay if he caught one of his kids trying to get away with doing something wrong. He's setting a great example (more sarcasm).

SLAG
05-24-2006, 11:26 AM
what exactly have i stolen? and where is this money that i am bilking?...i wish i knew where that money was because i could use to save when they do fire me ... also if they do fire me i will just collect unemployment and make them still pay me after i go

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 11:31 AM
You won't collect unemployment.

Being fired for violating company security policy is usually good enough evidence for a judge to deny unemployment benefits (if your employer disputes it)...

luv
05-24-2006, 11:32 AM
what exactly have i stolen? and where is this money that i am bilking?...i wish i knew where that money was because i could use to save when they do fire me ... also if they do fire me i will just collect unemployment and make them still pay me after i go
You do know you can get denied unemployment, or have it put off, if you get fired for certain reasons. We had a girl get fired. She got denied her unemployment because one of her write-ups was for cussing on the production floor. They considered that misconduct and denied her.

jspchief
05-24-2006, 11:34 AM
what exactly have i stolen? and where is this money that i am bilking?...i wish i knew where that money was because i could use to save when they do fire me ... also if they do fire me i will just collect unemployment and make them still pay me after i goYou are in a contract with your employer that agrees to him giving you money in exchange for you doing work. It may not be stealing in a legal sense of the word, but it's still taking money from him without giving him the agreed work in exchange.

And don't bet on unemployment. If they can provide reasonable cause, you won't qualify. And it doesn't cost them anything additional if you do qualify. Unemployment insurance is paid regardless of claims.

Also, I find it even more disgusting that you have kids. Nice to know you're risking giving them a better life so you can surf the internet on the job. Not to mention setting an example. Looks like you're well on your way to raising some deadbeats.

SLAG
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
employers have such a short time to dispute i will give the unemployment agency some obscure branch location address to request the dispute that they would not be able to respond in time

luv
05-24-2006, 11:38 AM
employers have such a short time to dispute i will give the unemployment agency some obscure branch location address to request the dispute that they would not be able to respond in time
I'm speechless. Just speechless.

jspchief
05-24-2006, 11:48 AM
employers have such a short time to dispute i will give the unemployment agency some obscure branch location address to request the dispute that they would not be able to respond in timeYea, I'm sure you know how to work the system better than your company's HR department. Businesses get tricked into paying unemployment by deadbeat employees all the time. :rolleyes:

SLAG
05-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Yea, I'm sure you know how to work the system better than your company's HR department. Businesses get tricked into paying unemployment by deadbeat employees all the time. :rolleyes:

anyway we are getting way off topic.

The fact of the matter is that I am Not Fired for what I am doing,

They did NOT Restrict my access because i was goofing off or whatever- I am SUPPOSE to have internet access but due to a mess up in our IT department during the Server Migration and Proxy Installation MANY users Security Clearance and Settings are NOT setup properly.

I was not able to perfom my job functions to 100% of my ablity without Internet Access- Due to the slow wheel of corperate America my request to have my Access fixed has taken longer than expected.

In order to accomplish my goal of getting around the proxy i have emplored help from many different people from here and in real life.

I have even had help from my own father and he was amazed that i was able to accomplish the task.

Get all the facts before you start making false assumptions that what I am doing is totally wrong and is stealing.

luv
05-24-2006, 11:59 AM

They did NOT Restrict my access because i was goofing off or whatever- I am SUPPOSE to have internet access but due to a mess up in our IT department during the Server Migration and Proxy Installation MANY users Security Clearance and Settings are NOT setup properly.

I was not able to perfom my job functions to 100% of my ablity without Internet Access- Due to the slow wheel of corperate America my request to have my Access fixed has taken longer than expected.

In order to accomplish my goal of getting around the proxy i have emplored help from many different people from here and in real life.

I have even had help from my own father and he was amazed that i was able to accomplish the task.

Get all the facts before you start making false assumptions that what I am doing is totally wrong and is stealing.
It helps if you give all the details to begin with instead of letting people assume the wrong thing.

StcChief
05-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Slag Was warned by CPers about the implications and he reiterated it was hindering him from his job function, doc/emailed mgmt about the changes needed to him mgmt.

Learning about how to go around security and doc'ing what is learned will make him an asset since he wasn't doing any harm to anyone....
Not cruisin Pr0n sites etc. unless CP is considered on the bad list :p

Most IT mgmt would see that and only if looking for an excuse would he be axed or was an underperformer. Corp IT can be such a pain in the a$$ sometimes to the endusers of their systems.

htismaqe
05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Slag Was warned by CPers about the implications and he reiterated it was hindering him from his job function, doc/emailed mgmt about the changes needed to him mgmt.

Learning about how to go around security and doc'ing what is learned will make him an asset since he wasn't doing any harm to anyone....

Most IT mgmt would see that and only if looking for an excuse would he be axed or was an underperformer. Corp IT can be such a pain in the a$$ sometimes to the endusers of their systems.

I can assure that that is NOT the case where I work, where I have worked, or with the customer I currently work with.

Circumventing information security practices, for any reason, no matter how ingenious, results in immediate termination. They just don't **** around with it anymore, there's too much at stake.

jspchief
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM

Get all the facts before you start making false assumptions that what I am doing is totally wrong and is stealing.I'm not assuming shit. In one of your posts, you said " This is more than hacking to browse the net or chiefs planet... this is personal". Nowhere in the thread do you mention limited ability to do your job, yet you mention using it to f*ck around. Plus today you mention almost getting caught. I don't have to assume anything, because you're telling me everything.

If it really did hamper your ability to do your job, the IT department would have fixed it. Corporate America's slow wheel isn't going to sit back and knowingly allow you to do your job half ass. You said you have emplored help from so many people, how many of your work's other employees have you emplored help from? Does your boss know you did this? Or the tech department? Of course not, because if they did, you'd be gone.

luv
05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I can assure that that is NOT the case where I work, where I have worked, or with the customer I currently work with.

Circumventing information security practices, for any reason, no matter how ingenious, results in immediate termination. They just don't **** around with it anymore, there's too much at stake.
We're not even allowed to move computer equipment around where I work without consulting the help desk/IT department. And ignorance isn't bliss.

luv
05-24-2006, 12:25 PM

What if he would have f*cked something up? I don't think that's a risk any company is willing to put up with, let alone consider an asset.

Iowanian
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I think You just want him to get fired, so you can hire him to replace the illegal aliens you hire as roofers...that the govt is about to run off.

INS is at the job site down on Delaware now and they just doubled fines for employers.

Someone's high horse is a clydesdale some days.

StcChief
05-24-2006, 03:13 PM
What if he would have f*cked something up? I don't think that's a risk any company is willing to put up with, let alone consider an asset.
IF He F'ed something up...that is entirely a different issue....

He's tunnelling out of work / using proxy thru a unused/unsecured port, not changing anything they have to block him.

This is all valuable things the IT security folks would be happy to know and use as an asset. Not malicious work.....

These type of IT skills (security audit stuff) is very useful actually.

Doc'ing all things he 'tried' to get out is what they will want to know what has been secured and what is NOT secured.

IT is an interesting environment, audit/logging what happens means folks can't hide and can be traced.

Iowanian
05-24-2006, 06:56 PM
aaaaaw, is someone a littow bitter now?

Hypocracy tastes better, huh.

jspchief
05-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I think You just want him to get fired, so you can hire him to replace the illegal aliens you hire as roofers...that the govt is about to run off.

INS is at the job site down on Delaware now and they just doubled fines for employers.

Someone's high horse is a clydesdale some days.Please explain the relevance. Or the "hypocracy".

Besides there being no similaraity, you don't know shit about how I run my business.

Iowanian
05-25-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm not looking to have an African stick fight on this issue, but I'll say this much. If you were as good at taking a joke/ribbing/grief as slinging shit at others, you'd know that.

As for the hypocricy, I'm willing to search quotes if you require them and explain the relevance.

htismaqe
05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
IF He F'ed something up...that is entirely a different issue....

He's tunnelling out of work / using proxy thru a unused/unsecured port, not changing anything they have to block him.

This is all valuable things the IT security folks would be happy to know and use as an asset. Not malicious work.....

These type of IT skills (security audit stuff) is very useful actually.

Doc'ing all things he 'tried' to get out is what they will want to know what has been secured and what is NOT secured.

IT is an interesting environment, audit/logging what happens means folks can't hide and can be traced.

I dont' work with a single IT security department that would consider this an "asset".

Security audits are performed by external, 3rd-party entities.

They would consider this grey-hat hacking and the perpetrator would be fired.

StcChief
05-27-2006, 06:37 PM
I dont' work with a single IT security department that would consider this an "asset".

Security audits are performed by external, 3rd-party entities.

They would consider this grey-hat hacking and the perpetrator would be fired.
Grey hat hacking is right... I've done a Oracle security audit before and had to lock it down running on Windowz server. Had a 3rd party attempt breakin.....

But it Sounds from talking to him job impairment is the real issue.

The fact their are a remote site and the IT is iffy and support seems lacking....I wonder

In general most hacking is a fireable offense. I warned him about it.

unlurking
05-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Grey hat hacking is right... I've done a Oracle security audit before and had to lock it down running on Windowz server. Had a 3rd party attempt breakin.....

The fact their are a remote site and the IT is iffy and support seems lacking....I wonder

Everybody warned him. Personally, if he gets caught, it's his own fault, and I could really care less. Some people just need to learn the hard way.

SLAG
05-27-2006, 10:25 PM
At this point all I know Is that if they wanted to fire me they could fire me....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132907&page=1&pp=15

I dont know why anyone thinks that im not willing to take ownership for my actions... Getting fired for what i wanted to do was never honestly an issue for me, more like an annoyance if anything.

at this time I am using my Gray hat to only access sites i need for my job that is blocked by my filter.

as far as my tardyness has gone we have switched my offical start times to 1/2 hour later because thats usally the average of the time that i was late. I have only been late once since.

anyway this thread can be closed (heh ...yeah right..)

my problem is solved

burt
05-27-2006, 11:38 PM
At this point all I know Is that if they wanted to fire me they could fire me....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132907&page=1&pp=15

I dont know why anyone thinks that im not willing to take ownership for my actions... Getting fired for what i wanted to do was never honestly an issue for me, more like an annoyance if anything.

at this time I am using my Gray hat to only access sites i need for my job that is blocked by my filter.

as far as my tardyness has gone we have switched my offical start times to 1/2 hour later because thats usally the average of the time that i was late. I have only been late once since.

anyway this thread can be closed (heh ...yeah right..)

my problem is solved

You are what is wrong with this country and its work force. You alone, are going to ensure the failure of out corperate infrastructure, and I hope you rot in hell. I am sorry we support the same NFL team

Dale Mercer walks off laughing to himself..........

burt
05-27-2006, 11:41 PM
You are in a contract with your employer that agrees to him giving you money in exchange for you doing work. It may not be stealing in a legal sense of the word, but it's still taking money from him without giving him the agreed work in exchange.

And don't bet on unemployment. If they can provide reasonable cause, you won't qualify. And it doesn't cost them anything additional if you do qualify. Unemployment insurance is paid regardless of claims.

Also, I find it even more disgusting that you have kids. Nice to know you're risking giving them a better life so you can surf the internet on the job. Not to mention setting an example. Looks like you're well on your way to raising some deadbeats.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 08:54 AM

I checked into this and I'm pretty sure that SLAG's actions could be construed as "corporate negligence" in security practices as it relates to both HIPAA and Sarb-Ox. Meaning, it would most certainly would be a fireable offense because it could cost the company thousands or even millions of dollars in fines.

StcChief
05-30-2006, 09:22 AM
I checked into this and I'm pretty sure that SLAG's actions could be construed as "corporate negligence" in security practices as it relates to both HIPAA and Sarb-Ox. Meaning, it would most certainly would be a fireable offense because it could cost the company thousands or even millions of dollars in fines.

The tunnel out issue.

The security angle is potential leak of company info that is un-auditable.....I see that as well. big problem.

Might as well ban all jump drives too.....

SLAG
05-30-2006, 09:39 AM

Sarb-Ox violations i can understand..

Re: hipaa i'm not so sure since im not risking any PHI -(Protected Health Info) in anyway shape or form...

btw...

http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Might as well ban all jump drives too.....

Alot of companies I know already have.

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Sarb-Ox violations i can understand..

Re: hipaa i'm not so sure since im not risking any PHI -(Protected Health Info) in anyway shape or form...

btw...

http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse. I haven't been on for 3 days, so I'm a little late getting back to this thread.

I'm trying to steer the conversation in a new direction because I find the conversation interesting - you just happen to make a good example. :D

SLAG
05-30-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse. I haven't been on for 3 days, so I'm a little late getting back to this thread.

I'm trying to steer the conversation in a new direction because I find the conversation interesting - you just happen to make a good example. :D

Ok... I can dig that...

I find it interesting that the jump drive subject came up,
I just got my first Thumb drive and it has U3 support so now i use firefox at work..

The U3 is interesting because it will run the programs off the drive directly even if you dont have administrator access-
anyway.

My break is over... back to work
lol

htismaqe
05-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Ok... I can dig that...

I find it interesting that the jump drive subject came up,
I just got my first Thumb drive and it has U3 support so now i use firefox at work..

The U3 is interesting because it will run the programs off the drive directly even if you dont have administrator access-
anyway.

My break is over... back to work
lol

Man, you're just full of violations aren't you? :)

StcChief
05-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Jump drives allow all kinda mischief by copy data or running banned programs, higher potential for lot of stuff
with their size. 1GB now ~$75

SLAG
05-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Jump drives allow all kinda mischief by copy data or running banned programs, higher potential for lot of stuff
with their size. 1GB now ~$75

I just picked up my 1gb for $35 at the Best buy...

:p

conradius0
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
i am a jr in high school and have constantly tried to get past the blue coat blocker they have set up its quite... annoying. anyways how well does the Circumventor work? also i believe their security is pretty low. i used to use the ip address' to access sites but then they got slightly smarter and started blocking those. it is a word based blocker except on certain "tagged" sites that bypass that they are just blocked. i was going to try the circumventor but if there is an easier way such as another CMD command or something. FTP was mentioned but im not sure exactly how that works any explanations would be welcomed. thanks

SLAG
06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
i am a jr in high school and have constantly tried to get past the blue coat blocker they have set up its quite... annoying. anyways how well does the Circumventor work? also i believe their security is pretty low. i used to use the ip address' to access sites but then they got slightly smarter and started blocking those. it is a word based blocker except on certain "tagged" sites that bypass that they are just blocked. i was going to try the circumventor but if there is an easier way such as another CMD command or something. FTP was mentioned but im not sure exactly how that works any explanations would be welcomed. thanks

Welcome to the planet N00b Youngin-

if you read the entire thread you would see that I had to setup and Linux box at home to act as my Proxy server.. so that my browser goes to my home machine before going out on the internet- so to anyone that can see my IP address will see that its my Home IP not the work IP.

in your case i would try to see if you can access this site that had been suggested earlier in this thread.

that would be the easiest way

luv
06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Welcome to the planet N00b Youngin-

if you read the entire thread you would see that I had to setup and Linux box at home to act as my Proxy server.. so that my browser goes to my home machine before going out on the internet- so to anyone that can see my IP address will see that its my Home IP not the work IP.

in your case i would try to see if you can access this site that had been suggested earlier in this thread.

that would be the easiest way

You're teaching someone in junior high how to get around blockers? I'm pretty sure a school woud have them set up for a good reason.

SLAG
06-02-2006, 12:19 PM
You're teaching someone in junior high how to get around blockers? I'm pretty sure a school woud have them set up for a good reason.

I ain't his pappy...

if he wants to get in trouble at school thats his own problem,

I will help whomever asks- I dont Discrimate I hate Everyone Equally

conradius0
06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
i new someone would object to this. anyways i tried spysurfing it is blocked i also tried to use firefox but i didnt understand its uses exactly. but anyways this is more for the purpose of sastifaction of beating our lame school security system. and besides the school rules only apply to games and such which i dont really care for i just read forums and such. anyways i figured i'd try that remote access program but i didnt know if there was any easier way.

conradius0
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
oh and im not in jr high :( im a jr in HIGH SCHOOl

Guru
06-15-2006, 10:22 PM
I ain't his pappy...

if he wants to get in trouble at school thats his own problem,

I will help whomever asks- I dont Discrimate I hate Everyone Equally
ROFL ROFL ROFL

SLAG
06-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Since Im Connected with SSH using PuTTY how can a xfer a file from the home PC to the work PC over PuTTY?

also what would be the best way to listen to the mp3's on my home compuer over this SSH connection or other means... any suggestions?

thanks

StcChief
06-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Since Im Connected with SSH using PuTTY how can a xfer a file from the home PC to the work PC over PuTTY?

also what would be the best way to listen to the mp3's on my home compuer over this SSH connection or other means... any suggestions?

thanks
I don't think file transfer is a PuTTY capability....

Try WinSCP for file transfer it's free.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winscp/

MP3s I wouldn't just because of bandwidth usage and sound may not be so good.

Copy onto Jumpdrive and put on workpc....or just listen off the jumpdrive if installing them is not allowed.

SLAG
06-19-2006, 11:32 AM

Copy onto Jumpdrive and put on workpc....or just listen off the jumpdrive if installing them is not allowed.

well I had been doing that for the music but i had to clear off some stuff to back up some files to upgrade the suse linux to 10.1 -

I will now try that WINSCP to xfer a few Mp3's to the Thumb Drive over ssh

SLAG
09-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Update:

I have not used my discovered method for internet access at work for about 2 months now but i have now found out something that was much easier but it does not give me 100% access to the web..

It appears that Secure websites are not blocked by the proxy as it looks like the secure website exits on port 443 or something and its wide open.

at least i can now do the basic Check Home Email and Look at Banc Account info... with out Outright violating the accpetable use policy.

I mean They left it open so it must be appoved ;)

anyway just FYI as this may serve someone else some day

unlurking
09-01-2006, 09:26 PM

pscp.exe

Command line SCP utility as part of the "suite" of SSH tools.

SLAG
09-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know of a beter Web Based Secured Proxy. I have been using https://www.proxyweb.net it works okay.. but i would like something better that offers HTTPS: access-as I am allowed to visit any Secured Sitethanks in advance

SLAG
06-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Update:

I had been using https://www.logmein.com to access my home computer and browse from there
but I have since figured that using windows Remote Desktop Protocol would work just as well. alot quicker than having to log in through the logme in website..

Just FYI for anyone else having this same issue.