PDA

View Full Version : good back routine w/ freeweights?

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
upper and lower. Id prefer 4 excercises for both.

Phobia
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
Do people still do a reverse fly? Lie on an bench on your stomach. Then do flies. Pull up as far as you can go. That one used to eat me up.

Lateral pulldowns.

A hip sled has a lot of back residual work. I realize it's mostly for glutes, but it works the lower back well.

I don't know what else to suggest for lower back. When I used to lift, they were more concerned with stabilizing the lower back than developing it.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 11:36 AM
i have dumbbells,and barbells.

Dunit35
04-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't really know of any weightlifting routines to make your back stronger. I never did lifts like that. As Phobia said the main thing is to keep your back in the proper place.

Phobia
04-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh. Do you have a training partner?

You could lie on your stomach at the top of some stair with your hips on the top step. Have somebody stabilize your legs. Do reverse situps very carefully. That will kill your lower back.

Instead of lateral pulldowns, you could do a military press.

I should shutup. I'm no trainer.

morphius
04-26-2006, 11:40 AM
If you have an excercise ball, my wife had one and I needed something to do my lower back... Anyway, put both feet shoulder width apart on the wall, with both hands over your head and the ball in your midsection. Kind of a lopsided teeter-totter. Then just bend at your back till your hands almost touch the ground, and then go back up.

munkey
04-26-2006, 11:42 AM
here ya go... (http://www.intense-workout.com/back_exercises.html)

BIG_DADDY
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Do people still do a reverse fly? Lie on an bench on your stomach. Then do flies. Pull up as far as you can go. That one used to eat me up.

That's for rear deltoids not back.

So your not at a gym and have dumbbells and a straight bar right?

Pullups wide grip 4 sets

Barbell : Bent over barbell rows. It's alright to come up a bit so you don't hurt your lower back but try not throw the weight and do real disciplined reps. 6-12 reps 4 sets

T-Bar rows 6-12 reps 4 sets

Dumbbell rows at 90% 6-12 reps 3sets

If you want to do lower back just stand up with your barbells. When you go back down don't let your barbell touch the ground. 3 sets 10-20 reps.

CanadianChief
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
For one of the exercises skip the freeweights and do straight chin ups. I think that's the best exercise to gain mass in the lat region.

Demonpenz
04-26-2006, 11:59 AM
back is hard to get technique down. Just make sure you use less weight just to make sure you are doing it correctly and you are feeling it in your back. Not arms.

Braincase
04-26-2006, 12:00 PM
For the lower back, I recommend missionary, buck, doggy and bent over in the shower positions. Great for lower back, especially for those of us with a longer stroke.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
That's for rear deltoids not back.

So your not at a gym and have dumbbells and a straight bar right?

Pullups wide grip 4 sets

Barbell : Bent over barbell rows. It's alright to come up a bit so you don't hurt your lower back but try not throw the weight and do real disciplined reps. 6-12 reps 4 sets

T-Bar rows 6-12 reps 4 sets

Dumbbell rows at 90% 6-12 reps 3sets

If you want to do lower back just stand up with your barbells. When you go back down don't let your barbell touch the ground. 3 sets 10-20 reps.
yup just straight bar and dumbbells.

Ive decided to climb off the bar stool and start working out for real.
im not strong enough and am to heavy to do pull ups. its been about 3.5 years since ive done anything but drink.:(
im just starting out again. at one point i could bench over 400 i did 275 the other night:( and ive gone from 240 to 265#.

the cardio and rest of the body i can do w/ what i have routine wise, but the back is something that beyong rows(non cable),cleans and deadlift we always did on cables.

ill do day 1 4x8 arms(bi and tris) 4 sets for each
day 2 chest and back 4 sets each group
day 3 abs/shoulders and legs 4 sets each group.

rest

start over.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 12:06 PM
the fundamentals of weight training are not forgien to me, i just need some ideas routine wise that will give me a good pump.

BIG_DADDY
04-26-2006, 12:10 PM
yup just straight bar and dumbbells.

Ive decided to climb off the bar stool and start working out for real.
im not strong enough and am to heavy to do pull ups. its been about 3.5 years since ive done anything but drink.:(
im just starting out again. at one point i could bench over 400 i did 275 the other night:( and ive gone from 240 to 265#.

the cardio and rest of the body i can do w/ what i have routine wise, but the back is something that beyong rows(non cable),cleans and deadlift we always did on cables.

ill do day 1 4x8 arms(bi and tris) 4 sets for each
day 3 abs and legs 4 sets each group.

If there is anyone else around they can help you do pullups if you cross your feet and bend your legs by pulling up on your feet.

Be carefull of your lower back when starting out especially with the barbell rows.

Kclee
04-26-2006, 12:16 PM
My back is tight from swinging a bat at softball practice. Don't play softball? Get an axe and cut down a few trees.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 12:18 PM
If there is anyone else around they can help you do pullups if you cross your feet and bend your legs by pulling up on your feet.

Be carefull of your lower back when starting out especially with the barbell rows.

i dont think my girl could spot me and i live in the boonies and my friends live in town.......
aw screw it ill just do what i can and make a cable system in the shop this weekend.

BIG_DADDY
04-26-2006, 12:20 PM
i dont think my girl could spot me and i live in the boonies and my friends live in town.......
aw screw it ill just do what i can and make a cable system in the shop this weekend.

Then take a wooden crate and put it a little ways behind you. Use your feet to help push you up the rest of the ways. It will take a little bit of getting used to but it works.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Then take a wooden crate and put it a little ways behind you. Use your feet to help push you up the rest of the ways. It will take a little bit of getting used to but it works.

thanks, clear your smokes.

ChiefsOne
04-26-2006, 12:29 PM
MO ill do day 1 4x8 arms(bi and tris) 4 sets for each
day 3 abs/shoulders and legs 4 sets each group.

You should do legs or chest first in the week. You wear your tris out and it will effect your chest and shoulder workout.

As for back:
Deadlift
Reverse grip bar rows
1 arm dumbell rows
Bent arm pullovers use either bar
- with the equipment you have

I have done about every kind of work out possible. Starting out would be OK to do each body part twice a week. But I would split up you work out differently.
3 on 1 off you could do 1) Chest/Arms, 2) Legs, 3) Back/Shoulders

If you do 4 days: 1) Chest/Abs, 2) Shoulders/Tris, 3) Legs, 4) Back/Bicepts

If you can do 5 days, it is best to do 1) Chest, 2) Shoulders, 3)Legs, 4) Back, 5) Arms

The key is to change your routine every 3 months or so.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 12:37 PM
the 4x8 3on one off 3on why brutal has always given me the best results.

thanks for the heads up CO.

Donger
04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
i have dumbbells,and barbells.

Is there a difference?

morphius
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Is there a difference?
dumbbells are normally small and used in pairs, one for each hand. While barbells have adjustable weights and many different lengths.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Is there a difference?

barbells = straight bar

ChiefsOne
04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
MO I just sold all of my weight equipment 6-8 months ago to my step-brother. I work out of OFC and it is much easier for me to go to the gym, too many distractions at home. He is not using the stuff nor has, he might be interested in selling if you are interested?

ChiefsOne
04-26-2006, 12:57 PM
barbells = straight bar

or EZ bar

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 01:05 PM
MO I just sold all of my weight equipment 6-8 months ago to my step-brother. I work out of OFC and it is much easier for me to go to the gym, too many distractions at home. He is not using the stuff nor has, he might be interested in selling if you are interested?

id be interested. hit him up S.
see what he says and smoke me, and ill give you my cell.

el borracho
04-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Some back excercises that use only barbells, dumbbells and a pullup bar:

* Wide grip pullups
* Close grip pullups (using a "seated row/ chin bar" handle over the pullup bar so that your palms face each other)
* Bent over barbell rows (you can also set up a barbell under a bench and do these lying on the bench if you have lower back problems)
* Dumbbell rows (do these half-kneeling on a bench for stability)
* T-bar rows (put one end of a barbell in a corner, put weight on the other end of the barbell and use the "seated row/ chin bar" handle under the bar up near the weight)
* Deadlifts
* Good Mornings (using a barbell across your shoulders)

ChiefsOne
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
check pms