PDA

View Full Version : What new accessory or feature would you most like to have in a new car?

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Assume that these new features must be feasible - no "flying wing" option and no "horny sixteen year-old in the back seat" option.

Personally, I'd like to have a soda dispenser in my dash. I think we have the technology to make that happen.

Katipan
04-26-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd like to be able to push a button that ejects the person sitting in the passenger seat out the window.

mlyonsd
04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
E-85 compatible.

Bowser
04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
I'd like a car that came with a flying sixteen year old and a horny wing.

vailpass
04-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Accujack
Auto-suck

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 02:49 PM
These are all great ideas so far.

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I'd like a car where the seats would recline all the way into a bed, so that if I got tired I could pull off the side of the road and take a comfy nap.

FAX
04-26-2006, 02:50 PM
Nice thread, Mr. Rain Man. I've always liked wishing threads.

I would like a car equipped with a "trash-o-matic" system. A place in the car that has a little lid. You open the lid, deposit your trash (cups, fast-food bags, used condoms, etc.), and a vacuum system sucks the trash into a container in the trunk. It has a little light (maybe red) that comes on when the receptacle in the trunk is full. Then you can take out the trash, dump it and you're ready to go again.

This keeps the car interior clean and fresh and the clutter out of the way.

FAX

Donger
04-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Exterior paint that changes color with the light levels. I forgot what that's called.

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 02:52 PM
A trunk monkey.

mlyonsd
04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
A trunk monkey.

If I had a second choice that'd be it.

FAX
04-26-2006, 02:53 PM
I would also like an electronic bumper sticker.

This is a plate on the back bumper or somewhere with lots of little bitty LED lights. Then, from a keypad on the dashboard, you can type in whatever you wish to display!!!

So, you could type in, "Go Chiefs!" Or, "Get Off My A$$!" Or, "Are You Chinese?".

Stuff like that.

FAX

Baby Lee
04-26-2006, 02:54 PM
One of those charcoal filters in the seat that take the stank out of your flatuli, like that Japanese dude grafted into bloomers.

Dartgod
04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
A roof mounted rocket launcher.

It could be mounted in the bumper if you like. I'm not picky.

Rain Man
A trunk monkey.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I read somewhere that Kia is coming out with a grill mandrill in 2008.

morphius
I'd like a car where the seats would recline all the way into a bed, so that if I got tired I could pull off the side of the road and take a comfy nap.
With electronically controlled blacked out windows, so you can do it at any time of day without people coming over and pointing.

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 02:56 PM

This is a plate on the back bumper or somewhere with lots of little bitty LED lights. Then, from a keypad on the dashboard, you can type in whatever you wish to display!!!

So, you could type in, "Go Chiefs!" Or, "Get Off My A$$!" Or, "Are You Chinese?".

Stuff like that.

FAX

That would sell. Most definitely.

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Nice thread, Mr. Rain Man. I've always liked wishing threads.

I would like a car equipped with a "trash-o-matic" system. A place in the car that has a little lid. You open the lid, deposit your trash (cups, fast-food bags, used condoms, etc.), and a vacuum system sucks the trash into a container in the trunk. It has a little light (maybe red) that comes on when the receptacle in the trunk is full. Then you can take out the trash, dump it and you're ready to go again.

This keeps the car interior clean and fresh and the clutter out of the way.

FAX

Your car doesn't have operable windows?

Bob Dole's grandfather told him something Bob Dole will never, ever forget.

Grandpa said, "Never..." No, that's not right. It was "Always carry one of those little plastic trash bags that fit over the window crank or radio knob in your car. That way, if you have any sort of trash, you can put it in the little bag and keep the interior of your car tidy. And when the little bag gets full, you can throw it all out the window in one place so it's easier for the convicts on trash duty to pick up."

Saulbadguy
04-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Weapons.

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 02:58 PM

Stuff like that.

FAX

Bob Dole and his brother-in-law half-built a prototype of one of those back in the late 1980's. It was about 3 feet wide and 6 inches tall and mounted in the rear window.

Divorce sucks.

StcChief
04-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Dart firing guns mounted under to Blow out tires.

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 02:59 PM

Seems like some of the Rambler models used to have that.

morphius
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Dart firing guns mounted under to Blow out tires.
But how often do people really want to blow out their tires? That just seems silly man.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
hands off controls, so the drunks can drink in public.

Rooster
04-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I have always wanted an option that would shoot an electronic pulse of some kind at drivers that have ticked you off or cut you off. The pulse wouldn't kill or hurt them. It's only purpose is to disable the jerk's car for about 15 minutes he/she would have time to think about what he/she had done to deserve such a delay.

morphius
04-26-2006, 03:03 PM
A sound dampening device for the people in the other seats, so I don't have to hear them scream if I don't wanna.

FAX
04-26-2006, 03:04 PM
While you're working on it, some sort of in-route, pee device would be useful as well, Mr. Rain Man.

Like the astronauts use or something. It's really hard to pee in a Slurpy cup without spilling. Plus, it kinda ruins the taste of the Slurpy.

FAX

StcChief
04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
But how often do people really want to blow out their tires? That just seems silly man.

Not my tires... the guy that cuts you off...ala James Bond.

But I would take the electronic disabler as later suggested by Rooster.
as a less intrusive option to make them think....

FAX
04-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Bob Dole and his brother-in-law half-built a prototype of one of those back in the late 1980's. It was about 3 feet wide and 6 inches tall and mounted in the rear window.

Divorce sucks.

That is really cool, Mr. Bob Dole. The device, I mean. Not the divorce.

Did it work? What did you use as a key pad?

FAX

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Not my tires... the guy that cuts you off...ala James Bond.

But I would take the electronic disabler as later suggested by Rooster.
as a less intrusive option to make them think....

Would the Disabler also disable any Disabler that happens to be present in the other car? If not, they'd just zap you back, and then you'd just end up in a fight on the side of the road.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea, though. It could be quite entertaining for other drivers.

mlyonsd
04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Why does Randy from "My Name is Earl" pop into my head when I read through this thread.

HC_Chief
04-26-2006, 03:14 PM

Stuff like that.

FAX

Ask, and <a href="http://www.yayhooray.com/thread/79094/Forget-the-spinners-pimp-rims-go-high-tech">ye shall receive</a> :D

Rooster
04-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Would the Disabler also disable any Disabler that happens to be present in the other car? If not, they'd just zap you back, and then you'd just end up in a fight on the side of the road.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea, though. It could be quite entertaining for other drivers.

That's a good point.

I guess you could put in a jamming system like on Air Wolf. Your co-pilot could just say over and over "I'm jammin him, I'm jamming him!!"

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I think the future of cars is in detachable sidecar bubbles. Imagine a vehicle that has one seat in a little bubble in the center of the car, and a moderate-sized engine. It would be a powerful, maneuvering beast for a morning commute.

Going on a date? Snap on another seating bubble and suddenly you have a nice peppy two-seater.

Got a family? Three bubbles can be attached to the side of, and behind the center bubble to provide a sedate four-seater.

Taking the golden retriever to the vet? Snap on a pet bubble that gives the pet room to maneuver without crawling around on the driver.

Need to haul some stuff? Snap on a big cargo bubble, which can come in many different sizes and shapes.

In short, you start out with a one-person, fast, efficient commuting car and use modular add-ons whenever needed. You could possibly even rent them as needed, as opposed to having an inventory in your garage.

ct
04-26-2006, 03:20 PM
non-ICE Propulsion

Rooster
04-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I think the future of cars is in detachable sidecar bubbles. Imagine a vehicle that has one seat in a little bubble in the center of the car, and a moderate-sized engine. It would be a powerful, maneuvering beast for a morning commute.

Going on a date? Snap on another seating bubble and suddenly you have a nice peppy two-seater.

Got a family? Three bubbles can be attached to the side of, and behind the center bubble to provide a sedate four-seater.

Taking the golden retriever to the vet? Snap on a pet bubble that gives the pet room to maneuver without crawling around on the driver.

Need to haul some stuff? Snap on a big cargo bubble, which can come in many different sizes and shapes.

In short, you start out with a one-person, fast, efficient commuting car and use modular add-ons whenever needed. You could possibly even rent them as needed, as opposed to having an inventory in your garage.

:clap:
You know Rain Man. That's not half bad. You could have your 'dirty' bubble if you hunted and fished or your mother in law bubble that was extra sound proof and could dislodge at anytime. :)

Skip Towne
04-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I would like to have 3 sets of "stop sticks" mounted behind the rear wheels. When those pesky cops get behind you, just release a set and the cop can come to a nice safe stop. I think 3 sets will be enough.

Baby Lee
04-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Why does Randy from "My Name is Earl" pop into my head when I read through this thread.
Ahm thinkin' a dispenser that dispenses a couple of dips of barbecue sauce, followed by a dip of honey. So I could eat my McNuggets like 2 little meals followed by a little dessert.

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
:clap:
You know Rain Man. That's not half bad. You could have your 'dirty' bubble if you hunted and fished or your mother in law bubble that was extra sound proof and could dislodge at anytime. :)

I actually think it could be a neat concept.

Imagine going on a cross country trip. Just go to your local dealer and rent a "bed bubble", a "porta-potty bubble", a "shower bubble", and an extra storage bubble. That'd be way cool.

I'd buy a car like this.

stumppy
04-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I want a Sea Bass with a frickin laser beam mounted on his head. Put him up top on a swivel with a handle coming through the roof. Just let the cops try and pull me over.

Yea, just let em try.

DaneMcCloud
04-26-2006, 03:39 PM
I'd like to have a compartment that would allow me to plug in multiple iPods that could be controlled from the car stereo. That way, I can have my iPod's available to plug in at any time without the use of an FM adaptor (which doesn't work in Los Angeles) or a cassette insert.

On top of that, I'd like to have paint ball guns attached but hidden inside my front grill. When people don't move at stop signs or decided to make a left turn across a double yellow or other stupid crap, I can mark there car forever. Kind of like a Scarlett letter for jackass drivers.

Rooster
04-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I actually think it could be a neat concept.

Imagine going on a cross country trip. Just go to your local dealer and rent a "bed bubble", a "porta-potty bubble", a "shower bubble", and an extra storage bubble. That'd be way cool.

I'd buy a car like this.

Oh I agree. It is a good concept with so many options that you would probably never think of them all. If you used glazed polycarbonate instead of glass you would cut down on your weight and increase fuel efficiency. Also with polycarbonate you can mold your mirrors etc all in one piece. It also isn't as limited as glass as far as shapes and sizes go. Not to mention it is strong and has great impact resistance.

I'm a plastic engineer. Can you tell? :)

chefsos
04-26-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd like a car where the seats would recline all the way into a bed, so that if I got tired I could pull off the side of the road and take a comfy nap.Seems like some of the Rambler models used to have that.
They did indeed. My dad bought several Ramblers (not all at once, but consecutively) when I was a kid. You put the front seats down, you have a bed, front to back. My brothers and I rode out a hurricane overnight in one of 'em while my parents slept on cots in my grandfather's old brick service station.

Anyway, I'd like to see hydraulic jacks mounted in the frame rails. You get stuck in the snow, flip the switch to raise one side so you can throw something with a little grip under the wheels, then let her down and go. Hell, for that matter, put little skis on 'em and let the unstuck drive wheel push you out, too.

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Oh I agree. It is a good concept with so many options that you would probably never think of them all. If you used glazed polycarbonate instead of glass you would cut down on your weight and increase fuel efficiency. Also with polycarbonate you can mold your mirrors etc all in one piece. It also isn't as limited as glass as far as shapes and sizes go. Not to mention it is strong and has great impact resistance.

I'm a plastic engineer. Can you tell? :)

I'll bet they could be mass-produced pretty inexpensively, too. Other than possibly the materials, they'd be pretty simple technology for the most part.

Count Zarth
04-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Grille machineguns.

JBucc
04-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but a hole in the middle of the floor you could pee out of would be nice.

chefsos
04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Grille machineguns.
...for those days when the Presidential motorcade just won't get outta the way...

Count Zarth
04-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but a hole in the middle of the floor you could pee out of would be nice.

Might be a problem for those of us with really long dicks.

JBucc
04-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Might be a problem for those of us with really long dicks.Or those without one

Miles
04-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Autopilot

FAX
04-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Another good feature (if it can be worked out) would be dowsing rods that extend from the front of the vehicle.

These could be used for finding water when you've been driving through the desert for weeks and your girlfriend has used every drop of precious water for a sponge bath and you’re now seeing visions and your lips are cracking due to the intense and oppressive heat and she is beginning to mouth nonsensical utterings like the growls of feral dogs.

They would also come in handy for locating spirit energy if you get lost in a graveyard late at night.

FAX

PastorMikH
04-26-2006, 04:42 PM
A urinal would be handy on the long trips. Just trying to be practical.

DJJasonp
04-26-2006, 04:50 PM
A car or truck that doubles as a boat.....so you dont have to tow anything to the lake....you just push a button and the tires retract....and so on and so on....

Batman probably already has this....

FAX
04-26-2006, 04:55 PM
A car or truck that doubles as a boat.....so you dont have to tow anything to the lake....you just push a button and the tires retract....and so on and so on....

I think Batman does, Mr. DJJasonp. But I don't.

That's a great idea.

FAX

epitome1170
04-26-2006, 05:09 PM

I am actually fairly certain that there is a RV like this actually. I think my sister said something about it on the travel channel

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 05:16 PM
That is really cool, Mr. Bob Dole. The device, I mean. Not the divorce.

Did it work? What did you use as a key pad?

FAX

He rigged up a full-size PC keyboard, which was one of the primary sticking points. Bob Dole's idea was that you could have preconfigured messages on the equivalent of the function keys, but John accepted an engineering position with HP out in Santa Rosa, and the project just died.

The the advances in technology, someone with the right skill set ought to be able to put something like that together affordably.

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 05:19 PM

Another one that someone did back in the late 50's or early 60's. One of Bob Dole's neighbors had one when Bob Dole was a kid.

Braincase
04-26-2006, 05:21 PM
A video based targeting system attached to a laser that could blow out the tires of the punk that has just cut you off in traffic.

Talisman
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
So, Rain Man, it looks like you finally got that project where you have to predict what features consumers will want to have on their cars five or ten years from now. And you've stooped to acting like it's a wish thread. I thought you weren't supposed to ask people directly. I thought you were supposed to provide accurate predictions in an innovative way without using traditional market research techniques.

I'm very disappointed.

Rain Man
04-26-2006, 10:31 PM
So, Rain Man, it looks like you finally got that project where you have to predict what features consumers will want to have on their cars five or ten years from now. And you've stooped to acting like it's a wish thread. I thought you weren't supposed to ask people directly. I thought you were supposed to provide accurate predictions in an innovative way without using traditional market research techniques.

I'm very disappointed.

Do you remember these things, or do you have a CIA-caliber file on every Chiefsplanet member?

Man, I wish we could've won that project.

cdcox
04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
1. Coffee dispenser

1a. "Piss while you drive"

2. A traffic light replacement system. This system would be installed in every car. The system would take over the operation of you car as you approach an intersection and zing you trough it. It would coordinate the movement of all cars in such a manner as to move as many cars through the intersection as possible, while narrowly avoiding collisions. After you were safely through the intersection, control of the vehicle would be returned to the idiot driver.

Baconeater
04-26-2006, 11:06 PM

It's been done

http://www.amphicar.ca/images/AMPHIPICS/july24a%20013.jpg

Baconeater
04-26-2006, 11:16 PM
I am actually fairly certain that there is a RV like this actually. I think my sister said something about it on the travel channel

I'll bet she's referring to the Dobbertin Surface Orbiter, it has separate drives for land & water.
http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/DSO/ORB_side_view.jpg

But before any of you plan a trip to your local Surface Orbiter dealership, it's one of a kind. You'll have to build your own out of a tanker truck if you want one.

Guru
04-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Ask, and <a href="http://www.yayhooray.com/thread/79094/Forget-the-spinners-pimp-rims-go-high-tech">ye shall receive</a> :D

Gonna cause a wreck but it is friggin cool.

Dunit35
04-27-2006, 01:40 AM
It's been done

http://www.amphicar.ca/images/AMPHIPICS/july24a%20013.jpg

I've seen one of those at a lake once.

ChiefButthurt
04-27-2006, 05:12 AM
I haven't read the entire thread, so pardon if this is a duplicate.

I would like to have a shield that when activated, would cover the license plate. Just for a second or two. Maybe you want to elude the cops of something, run a red light and the signal cameras can't get your photo. That would be cool. Maybe a couple of James Bond features.

StcChief
04-27-2006, 05:17 AM
A video based targeting system attached to a laser that could blow out the tires of the punk that has just cut you off in traffic.
The modern advanced version of my dart guns mounted under the car

JakeT
04-27-2006, 08:10 AM
I just want to be ensconced in velvet

ChiefsFanatic
04-27-2006, 08:20 AM
I haven't read the entire thread, so pardon if this is a duplicate.

I would like to have a shield that when activated, would cover the license plate. Just for a second or two. Maybe you want to elude the cops of something, run a red light and the signal cameras can't get your photo. That would be cool. Maybe a couple of James Bond features.

Or you could spray your plate with hair spray. The glare won't allow the camera to take a clear picture.

Rain Man
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
2. A traffic light replacement system. This system would be installed in every car. The system would take over the operation of you car as you approach an intersection and zing you trough it. It would coordinate the movement of all cars in such a manner as to move as many cars through the intersection as possible, while narrowly avoiding collisions. After you were safely through the intersection, control of the vehicle would be returned to the idiot driver.

That would be cool. You'd have to close your eyes at each intersection, though.

JakeT
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
okay since nobody like my Seinfeld reference.

I want a device that would go in your windsheild and then when one of those red light or radar gun cameras took your picture -- it would intercept the shot and return to the police a perfect photo of another person driving your car. Drivers could pick who the person was from Elvis, Jim Morrison, Saskwatch and others.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
E-85 compatible.I'd rather have the
hydrogen fuel cell...

Talisman
04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Do you remember these things, or do you have a CIA-caliber file on every Chiefsplanet member?

Man, I wish we could've won that project.
I had some really good ideas for that and I want my $250.

Actually I had no recollection of that thread at all and I think it was lost in The Great Purge. I did a quick Google search for disigerent to make sure I was spelling it right and a bunch of threads popped up. So I put Talisman and Chiefsplanet in there and found a whole bunch of old stuff.

Thought I'd do my stalker thing and freak you out a little. Oh, and BTW, you should've worn that blue shirt you picked out first this morning before you changed your mind and went with the striped one.

MahiMike
04-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Beer opener

John_Wayne
04-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I would like a car with really "bumpy" bumpers all the way around so I can bump my way through traffic like a bumper car at the county fair.

Rain Man
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm a huge fan of this bumper car idea. Can you imagine how much our insurance rates would go down?

Talisman
04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm a huge fan of this bumper car idea. Can you imagine how much our insurance rates would go down?
I say we go with pyramid shaped sponge cars. Very soft and safe, and if someone's going too slow in front of you, just get your speed up and ramp over them.

Rain Man
04-27-2006, 11:26 AM
You don't think the blue shirt made me look fat?

mlyonsd
04-27-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,193390,00.html
Ford Launching Concept Car Reality ShowThursday, April 27, 2006
Associated Press

DEARBORN, Mich. — If singing, cooking and clothing design can sell as reality TV, why not designing dream cars?

Ford Motor Co. , a sponsor of Fox's "American Idol" reality show, is planning its own television reality program in which the participants develop concept cars with Ford designers, the Detroit News reported in Thursday editions.

Ford showed a promotional video about the program at a dealer's meeting Wednesday and is working on lining up a network, the newspaper said.

"It's a very cool idea," said analyst Jim Sanfilippo of Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc., who called it a good way to convey Ford's message to the buying public. "It's a way to engage the audience in a way that they can identify it."

Last week, the nation's No. 2 automaker reported a $1.2 billion loss for its first quarter as it began a costly restructuring effort amid weak U.S. sales. The company's U.S. sales fell 3 percent for the January-March period, though its worldwide sales were up 3 percent from a year earlier.

Me thinks Rain Man duped us into giving up all our good ideas just so he could get on this show and use them.

Rain Man
04-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh, wow. I really, really want to get onto that show. How do I apply?

mlyonsd
04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Oh, wow. I really, really want to get onto that show. How do I apply?

Seeing the timing of your thread I'd have thought you had already been selected. :)

Baby Lee
04-27-2006, 04:37 PM
1. Coffee dispenser
Voila (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/audi-roadjets-rearconsole-espresso-machine-169241.php)

ChiefButthurt
04-27-2006, 06:51 PM
Or you could spray your plate with hair spray. The glare won't allow the camera to take a clear picture.

I heard that there was a spray. Does plain hairspray work?

cdcox
04-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Voila (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/audi-roadjets-rearconsole-espresso-machine-169241.php)

What about 1a?

badgirl
04-27-2006, 07:44 PM
I love the onstar, its the best thing they came up with for emergencies out on the road, it can locate the car within 3 feet of the vehicle.

cdcox
04-27-2006, 07:46 PM
...it can locate the car within 3 feet of the vehicle.

Once you're that close, it gets pretty easy.

badgirl
04-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Once you're that close, it gets pretty easy.
exactly, which means if the airbag deploys and knocks you out it will alert 911 in that area and they can find the car even if you are unconscious.

Rain Man
04-28-2006, 08:38 AM
exactly, which means if the airbag deploys and knocks you out it will alert 911 in that area and they can find the car even if you are unconscious.

What if they're more than three feet away when the wreck happens? Do you have to have a representative in your car?

ChiefButthurt
04-28-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm starting to think you guys are crackin on Badgirl? Anybody with boobs like that can't be impaired. Can they?

Demonpenz
04-28-2006, 10:23 AM
sound proof trunk. I am tired of the screeming