PDA

View Full Version : Gas for 40 cents a gallon

KingPriest2
04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
With gas prices reaching record highs in the United States, we decided to see what was happening here in Iran, so we went to a gas station and found that a gallon of gas costs only about 40 cents.

Not a real surprise given that Iran has the world's second largest oil reserve, but there's a hitch to all the low cost gas -- congestion.

With gas so cheap, everyone can afford it, which results in people here driving everywhere. This means traffic is heavy and congestion is building.

A big reason why gas is so cheap in Iran is because the government subsidizes it, but that could soon stop. The Iranian government is set to ration gas in the coming months, and if you want to buy above the allotted amount, the cost goes up five-fold.

Iranians we spoke to at the pump had differing opinions. Some said rationing will help force people to drive less and use public transportation more. Others said it would only deepen the country's economic divide, where the rich will be able to buy as much as they want and the poor will not.

The government wants to ration gas partly because Iran doesn't have a huge capacity to refine oil, even though it sits on so much of it. So Iran ends up importing 40 percent of its gas from other countries, mainly India. The less it has to import, the more self-reliant the country can become.
And then there's the larger issue looming amid the nuclear dispute between Iran and the West. Will Iran use oil as a weapon and cut its supply to cripple the West? Iranian leaders have said so far that's not the plan.

But at the gas station, many Iranians told us that if Iran is pushed into a corner, oil production is an asset they should use to their advantage.
Posted By Aneesh Raman, CNN Correspondent: 3:10 PM

SLAG
04-26-2006, 05:02 PM
last i heard gas was .37/gallon in Venezuela

kcfanintitanhell
04-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Damn that's depressing...
I was thinking the other day that what it costs me to fill my lawnmower my dad was probably able to fill up his car. :cuss:

alnorth
04-26-2006, 05:55 PM

This price is also heavily subsidized by the government. Although Venezuela has a large oil reserve and decent ethanol production, the price the people pay is well below what they would pay without subsidies.

Bob Dole
04-26-2006, 06:11 PM
If they want to purchase more than their rationed amount, the cost will go up five-fold...

And STILL be cheaper than it is here.

KingPriest2
04-26-2006, 06:21 PM

It is actually 12 cents

go bowe
04-27-2006, 12:21 AM
Damn that's depressing...
I was thinking the other day that what it costs me to fill my lawnmower my dad was probably able to fill up his car. :cuss:yep, three bucks was enough to drive to the beach and party all weekend, with plenty left over for the next week...

Frazod
04-27-2006, 12:24 AM
yep, three bucks was enough to drive to the beach and party all weekend, with plenty left over for the next week...

In a big car that got shitty mileage, too. :banghead:

Baconeater
04-27-2006, 12:34 AM
Hell, I'd happily continue to pay $3/gal if it meant less traffic. That's a small price to pay for my sanity.

ROYC75
04-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Oh the days of yesteryears when I was a laddy . I could buy gas for 0.169 per gallon, get 4 handful of bubble gum and mow yards all day. Pocket about $ 30.00 and thinking I was going to be rich one day.

Guru
04-27-2006, 12:57 AM
If they want to purchase more than their rationed amount, the cost will go up five-fold...

And STILL be cheaper than it is here.

That is exactly what I thought as I read that. Five-fold=2 bucks.

PastorMikH
04-27-2006, 08:05 AM
So Iran ends up importing 40 percent of its gas from other countries, mainly India.

There's an idea. Why not start shipping refined gas in from other countries to give the american refineries competition?

InChiefsHell
04-27-2006, 08:14 AM
There's an idea. Why not start shipping refined gas in from other countries to give the american refineries competition?

We need to build more refineries. Hell that's half our problem right there. They can't keep up. Instead of bringing it in from other places, we need to enlarge our own capacity for refining...

..but I'm sure the bloody spotted owl or whatever will stop that from happening...

InChiefsHell
04-27-2006, 08:17 AM
That is exactly what I thought as I read that. Five-fold=2 bucks.

Ah...2 dollar a gallon gas...the good old days... :shake:

Donger
04-27-2006, 08:21 AM

We already do.

Donger
04-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Oh the days of yesteryears when I was a laddy . I could buy gas for 0.169 per gallon, get 4 handful of bubble gum and mow yards all day. Pocket about $ 30.00 and thinking I was going to be rich one day.

When was that?

Cochise
04-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Yeah, government is the answer to this, just like it was in the 70s.

R&GHomer
04-27-2006, 09:16 AM
.40 cents a gallon? Probably 1/6 of the average weekly salary.

ROYC75
04-27-2006, 09:20 AM
When was that?

1966 & 1967

Then gas went up to around 19 - 20 cents a gallon. Still mowed alot of yards on a quarter.

Donger
04-27-2006, 09:27 AM
1966 & 1967

Then gas went up to around 19 - 20 cents a gallon. Still mowed alot of yards on a quarter.

Just an FYI, but adjusted for inflation, that's about $2.00 per gallon in today's dollars.