PDA

View Full Version : Geek-Chiefs Article I found While Trying to hack Work

SLAG
04-26-2006, 07:22 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs football team turned to Vericept Corp.'s Network Abuse Management Corporate Solution when the franchise was looking for a tool to help it deal with Internet activity that fell outside of its acceptable-use policy.

"The concerns were about potential problems arising from the inappropriate use of e-mail or the Internet. We viewed this as protecting the brand," says Richard McOsker, the Chiefs' information systems director, who declined to go into further detail. "We were looking for a tool that would perform the monitoring and reporting without day-to-day human intervention."

Monitoring Missteps

The Chiefs' software, based on Vericept's VIEW (Vericept Intelligent Early Warning) technology, is installed on Linux-based servers and plugged directly into a computer network.

Using sophisticated linguistic and mathematical analysis, the product passively monitors all TCP/IP traffic -- Internet, intranet, e-mail, chat, IM, P2P, FTP, Telnet and even bulletin board postings -- that falls outside of a company's appropriate-use and security policies.

If someone does step outside the boundaries, the abuse is logged, copied and reported, says Brett Schklar, senior director of product management at Englewood, Colo.-based Vericept.

"We saw a marked and immediate decrease or elimination of the inappropriate use after [the product] had been installed one week," says McOsker.

In order to document and archive everything its employees were doing on their PCs and the Internet, Summit Center, a medical facility in Flagstaff, Ariz., installed Spector CNE (Corporate Network Edition), from SpectorSoft Corp. in Vero Beach, Fla.

"Internally, we had no ability to monitor or track items coming through our firewall back to the end user," says Daniel Anderson, Summit's chief administrative officer. "SpectorSoft was the one package that enabled us to grab screenshots on an interval that we chose, as well as catch all e-mail activity, instant messaging, chats and keystrokes. It showed evidence of time, date stamps and the logged-on user."

In addition, by taking screen snapshots, Spector CNE creates the digital equivalent of a surveillance tape so an employer can see the exact sequence of everything its employees do on the computer, says Doug Fowler, SpectorSoft's president.

"We store the files on a Dell PowerVault data storage unit, so the files are always available for me to view," Anderson says.

Anderson recently discovered that someone was accessing an illicit Web site at night from a computer in the clinic area. This was particularly troubling because Summit employees don't work at night, he says. Ultimately, Anderson tracked the activity to the company's janitorial staff.

"I ran the basic screenshots as a video clip, and I was able to save that as an AVI file and burn it to CD," he says. "Then I had a meeting with HR people, who need to be involved, and [the janitorial staff], put in the CD, and when they start to deny it, all I have to do is hit Play and it speaks volumes."........

SOURCE (http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/2004/0,4814,93471,00.html)

SLAG
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
tt t

SLAG
06-19-2006, 11:20 PM
ttt