PDA

View Full Version : XM radio news........... it's not good.

John_Wayne
04-27-2006, 08:13 AM
Link:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/27/D8H8B18O7.html

Another Link:
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-04-27T115829Z_01_WEN5888_RTRUKOC_0_US-XMSATELLITE-PROBE.xml&rpc=23

Also, I heard that XM added some new stations. All of my stations are preset, so I haven't looked for the new stations yet. What are the new stations? Are they any good?

John_Wayne
04-27-2006, 08:39 AM
I wish they'd add more talk and sports stations. I don't listen too much to the music.

ChiefsfaninPA
04-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Look on the bright side. At least if you choose to stick with this sub-par product it should get cheaper for there monthly subscription. If you called now they might even lower your rate just to keep you as a subscriber.

John_Wayne
04-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Look on the bright side. At least if you choose to stick with this sub-par product it should get cheaper for there monthly subscription. If you called now they might even lower your rate just to keep you as a subscriber. Subpar? It's a good product. There's really nothing to compare it to other than Sirius. And it's better than Sirius. They are almost exactly the same, but I think most would say that XM is just a tad better.

ChiefsfaninPA
04-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Subpar? It's a good product. There's really nothing to compare it to other than Sirius. And it's better than Sirius. They are almost exactly the same, but I think most would say that XM is just a tad better.

Well I do hear that they have better technology than Sirius. In all siriusness(pun intended) I only have Sirius to listen to Stern. Though I do like the NFL programming and there financial shows.

John_Wayne
04-27-2006, 08:59 AM
Well I do hear that they have better technology than Sirius. In all siriusness(pun intended) I only have Sirius to listen to Stern. Though I do like the NFL programming and there financial shows. Stern can jump off of a bridge. I hate that SOB. However, I do wish XM had acquired the NFL. But they do have 4 good sports stations. I just wish I could listen to NFL talk and news and discussions all day, every day.

John_Wayne
04-27-2006, 11:42 AM
I saw a guy who had a 13" flat screen TV hanging from where the passenger visor would be in his Explorer the other day. I don't know if it was a TV or a computer monitor. It looked like it would create a blind spot. But, it also looked like it was on a hinge where he could fold it up and store it flat against the roof.

I just happened to think of that.

FYI--

The Bad Guy
04-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Subpar? It's a good product. There's really nothing to compare it to other than Sirius. And it's better than Sirius. They are almost exactly the same, but I think most would say that XM is just a tad better.

Your ignorance shines through again.

There's not one aspect, besides technology, where XM is better than Sirius.

XM's programming is a bag of suck. The only thing they have is MLB.

I listen to XM all day at work because they are on DTV and I wouldn't pay for that shit.

I would also be pissed as hell if I was an XM subscriber since O & A are now available free in most markets through their deal with CBS.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Stern can jump off of a bridge. I hate that SOB. However, I do wish XM had acquired the NFL. But they do have 4 good sports stations. I just wish I could listen to NFL talk and news and discussions all day, every day.

Sirius has about 8 good sports stations I would say.

XM developed technology, Sirius decided to go with lesser receivers and more programming.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2006, 11:57 AM
I wish they'd add more talk and sports stations. I don't listen too much to the music.:spock:It is beyond me why anyone would pay to listen to people yaking on the radio. That is the exact reason why I got XM. I got sick of chatter between the music.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2006, 12:03 PM
I could not possibly give a **** less about different programming on XM or Sirius. I got it for music and music only. If XM goes under, I'll switch to Sirius. The only reason I got XM to start with, is because their recievers are lower priced.

Sully
04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
What technology does XM have?
I got Sirius because of the NFL (which ended up being a stupid idea), but I like it so far. However, I'm thinking of getting an in-dash radio with satellite, instead of my dashboard box, and am curious what XM has.

Carlota69
04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Satellite radio is not where it's at. Internet radio is.

The cost of operating satellite radio is astrnomical ( they have to replace the satellites every 5 years..ouch), and it will cost the subscriber too much as well. Plus to further try to recoop costs, satellite will also start running commercials.

Now internet radio is about to explode. There is a website called Listenerradiostation.com (something like that), and you can program your own radio station based on stations around the country, plus you can check out new, unsigned music.

Example, say you dig your local morning show, and you also dig a sports talk show on another station, in another city from 10a-3p, , and want your afternoon show to come from anoter station in your city, and your night programming to come from a sports talk in Detroit. Plus you would be able to download podcasts and integrate that into your station. You can create that on your own radio station. it's kind of like radio tivo. And of course, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, internet radio will make it's way to the car. Plus it wont be another bill, it would be added your current internet bill.

And as a broadcaster, I welcome this all the way.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Satellite radio is not where it's at. Internet radio is.

The cost of operating satellite radio is astrnomical ( they have to replace the satellites every 5 years..ouch), and it will cost the subscriber too much as well. Plus to further try to recoop costs, satellite will also start running commercials.

Now internet radio is about to explode. There is a website called Listenerradiostation.com (something like that), and you can program your own radio station based on stations around the country, plus you can check out new, unsigned music.

Example, say you dig your local morning show, and you also dig a sports talk show on another station, in another city from 10a-3p, , and want your afternoon show to come from anoter station in your city, and your night programming to come from a sports talk in Detroit. Plus you would be able to download podcasts and integrate that into your station. You can create that on your own radio station. it's kind of like radio tivo. And of course, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, internet radio will make it's way to the car. Plus it wont be another bill, it would be added your current internet bill.

And as a broadcaster, I welcome this all the way.Internet radio doesn't do squat for me in my truck.

Carlota69
04-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Internet radio doesn't do squat for me in my truck.
Yeah, I know. It doesn't do squat for me in my car either, but the future is a different story.

Swanman
04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
What technology does XM have?
I got Sirius because of the NFL (which ended up being a stupid idea), but I like it so far. However, I'm thinking of getting an in-dash radio with satellite, instead of my dashboard box, and am curious what XM has.

The main thing XM has the Sirius doesn't is a portable unit that you can use like a walkman and can pick up live XM signals. I use mine on the train everyday and it's great. Sirius has a portable unit, but it doesn't pick up live signals. You have to record programming using a dock and then you can listen to the recorded stuff on the go.

Swanman
04-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I would also be pissed as hell if I was an XM subscriber since O & A are now available free in most markets through their deal with CBS.

O&A are only available in 7 markets through CBS, I wouldn't consider that "most markets". They still do an XM-only show for 2-2.5 hours after the CBS show ends. Their CBS show, through the increased exposure, will allow them to get much better guests and should help their satellite-only show.

CoMoChief
04-27-2006, 01:40 PM
This thread title is decieving. I thought this was gonna be draft news from NFL.

ChiefsfaninPA
04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Sirius has a portable unit, but it doesn't pick up live signals.

This is not entirely true. I own a S50 which is the one you are referring to but I also own a XTR1 and purchased a batter pod for it, so I can take it for a walk or bike ride and receive LIVE broadcasts.