PDA

View Full Version : Wii are family

Reaper16
04-27-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150013
Nintendo's final name for the Revolution (which was a code name) is...

Wii.

Read about it.

Saulbadguy
04-27-2006, 01:06 PM
ROFL

Read the "member feedback"

irishjayhawk
04-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Guess they realized it wasn't "Revolution-ary"

listopencil
04-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Lame.

JBucc
04-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Dumbest. Name. Ever.

Talisman
04-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, I guess it's better than The Nintendo Caca. But just barely. I'm a fanboy, but they're making it very hard to stay with them.

If Wii is the answer, what was the friggin question?

JBucc
04-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Speaking of stupid things in the video game universe those PSP commericals with the squirrels and dust ball things saying random stupid crap make me really want to buy a PSP....so I can smash it up against the wall.

Ari Chi3fs
04-27-2006, 11:55 PM
teh gh3y

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 12:25 AM
A WII AWAITS

"Revolution, N5... nah, we'll go with Wii."

MORE LIKE WIITARDED M I RITE

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2006, 12:36 AM
'Wii' is a ghey name, but those controllers are even MORE ghey...

Guru
04-28-2006, 12:40 AM
WIIdiculous

Guru
04-28-2006, 12:41 AM
'Wii' is a ghey name, but those controllers are even MORE ghey...

Sure want to know how to play Resident Evil with that controller.

Guru
04-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Sure want to know how to play Resident Evil with that controller.

EDIT

Well this is interesting....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7965767564319548070&q=nintendo+revolution&pl=true

TrickyNicky
04-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm still buying one. The name isn't that bad... You can just call it the Dubb or something if you cant stand "wee".

JBucc
04-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm still buying one. The name isn't that bad... You can just call it the Dubb or something if you cant stand "wee".Me too. But I think I'm going to get a plate to put over the Wii

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
I may buy this for my son this Christmas. I just don't wanna hear him say "I'm gonna go play with my Wii...

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
EDIT

Well this is interesting....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7965767564319548070&q=nintendo+revolution&pl=true
:hmmm: It looks like it's motion-activated...

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Something I heard about the Wii is that Nintendo is supposed to have a server for users to download old games. From Donkey Kong up.

JBucc
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Me too. But I think I'm going to get a plate to put over the WiiOr I'll cover it with a pair of old boxers. Don't want anyone staring at my Wii while I'm playing.

TrickyNicky
04-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Something I heard about the Wii is that Nintendo is supposed to have a server for users to download old games. From Donkey Kong up.
Yes you will be able to download old games but at a premium. Some games will be free (probably the NES staples... SMB, Zelda, and Metroid) while others will cost you.

Reaper16
04-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes you will be able to download old games but at a premium. Some games will be free (probably the NES staples... SMB, Zelda, and Metroid) while others will cost you.
This excites me greatly. You'll be able to download games from pre-NES to Gamecube. Also, Nintendo is working with Sega to provide old Sega game downloads as well. (Which would RULE HARD)

Pants
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
A WII AWAITS

"Revolution, N5... nah, we'll go with Wii."

MORE LIKE WIITARDED M I RITE

lawl

Fish
04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
As bad as I am throwing my controllers in a fit of rage, I would totally go nunchaku with that controller within a week......

JBucc
04-28-2006, 04:42 PM
As bad as I am throwing my controllers in a fit of rage, I would totally go nunchaku with that controller within a week......So will I so I hope it's not too expensive. I know I'm going to go through more than a few. Then again the only controllers I've smashed a bunch are PS2's 1's. They are complete shit whereas I've only had two N64 controllers and 2 SNES controllers that went through the same punishment.

Talisman
04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
:hmmm: It looks like it's motion-activated...
There's a small device you place near your TV screen that senses where you are aiming it. It's supposed to make playing first person shooters more like playing with a mouse on PC.

I was reading about a new FPS that is supposed to launch with the Revolution (I can't bring myself to call it the Wii) that's called Red Steel. The designers said they're actually having to make the game harder than most FPS's on consoles b/c of the accuracy you can get with the controller.

They even have it so that if you turn your hand sideways, you can hold the gun gangsta style.

I heard the system's supposed to come out for about $200-$300. I'm thinking closer to $300 due to the technology of the controllers.

http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/revolution/red_steel/sca_002.jpg

http://www.gameshout.com/images/steel2.jpg

JBucc
04-28-2006, 05:28 PM
They even have it so that if you turn your hand sideways, you can hold the gun gangsta style.

I heard the system's supposed to come out for about $200-$300. I'm thinking closer to $300 due to the technology of the controllers.

haha that's pretty cool

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm still buying one. The name isn't that bad... You can just call it the Dubb or something if you cant stand "wee".The best idea I've seen is N-Dub. Yanno, hipster jive jargon an' whatnot.

The controller is why I thought it should be called the Revolution, but if it delivers, it doesn't matter if it's called the Buttrapemachine5000.

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:21 PM
This excites me greatly. You'll be able to download games from pre-NES to Gamecube. Also, Nintendo is working with Sega to provide old Sega game downloads as well. (Which would RULE HARD)That is also going to be great, yes.

Guru
04-28-2006, 11:53 PM
I may buy this for my son this Christmas. I just don't wanna hear him say "I'm gonna go play with my Wii...
ROFL

Guru
04-28-2006, 11:54 PM

Yep, every Nintendo game known to man will be available. For a fee, of course.

BigMeatballDave
04-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Will the Wii have a HD-DVD player? I havent heard...

Guru
04-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Will the Wii have a HD-DVD player? I havent heard...

Nope. They are not jumping on the HD bandwagon with this entry.

JBucc
04-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Nope. They are not jumping on the HD bandwagon with this entry.In fact if you want to play regular DVD's you need to buy some sort of an attachement. It's strictly a gaming machine out of the box. Cuts costs I guess. Really though, the XBOX and PS2 sucked as DVD players and who doesn't have one already?

Guru
04-30-2006, 12:04 PM
In fact if you want to play regular DVD's you need to buy some sort of an attachement. It's strictly a gaming machine out of the box. Cuts costs I guess. Really though, the XBOX and PS2 sucked as DVD players and who doesn't have one already?

Not worried about the DVD capabilities. A lot of people will be upset that it is not HD capable on the games though. I don't care because I can't afford an HD TV at this time anyway. Too many house improvements going on.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2006, 12:09 PM
In fact if you want to play regular DVD's you need to buy some sort of an attachement. It's strictly a gaming machine out of the box. Cuts costs I guess. Really though, the XBOX and PS2 sucked as DVD players and who doesn't have one already?If it came with a Hi-Def DVD player, that would've sealed the deal for me. Depending on the price, I may still get one...

RaiderH8r
05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Not worried about the DVD capabilities. A lot of people will be upset that it is not HD capable on the games though. I don't care because I can't afford an HD TV at this time anyway. Too many house improvements going on.
Your situation is precisely why Nintendo didn't go for HD. The HD market represents less than 20% of American households. HD pushes the price point up tremendously on the console. Nintendo has already stated their commitment to put the Wii (I hate the name, from now on I refer to it as Revolution) for less than $200, some rumors have it going for $150. I think it's a sound position.

In other news, the head of EA Canada (the studio committed exclusively to producing titles for the Rev.) had an interview with IGN that is amazing. Their ideas for Madden on Rev are very very exciting. Just a bit below, but good.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703727p1.html

IGN Wii: Perfect. Could you just for clarification purposes give us an idea of how a typical play might work using the controllers?

John Schappert: So, you take the controller, jerk it up to snap. Quarterback now has the ball. Your passing icons are now up. Take the wand controller and you'll see that the four directions on its D-Pad represent four of your receivers; the A button is your fifth receiver. Point to one of those receivers that you want to receive the ball and with your hand gesture a throwing motion to pass. Now, the harder you throw, the more that's going to be a bullet pass. The softer and the more you lob a throw, the more that it's going to be a lob. When you receive the ball, you run with the analog stick on the nunchuck and if you want to juke, you use the nunchuck to gesture it. And if you want to stiff-arm, you use the wand.

Guru
05-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Your situation is precisely why Nintendo didn't go for HD. The HD market represents less than 20% of American households. HD pushes the price point up tremendously on the console. Nintendo has already stated their commitment to put the Wii (I hate the name, from now on I refer to it as Revolution) for less than $200, some rumors have it going for $150. I think it's a sound position.

In other news, the head of EA Canada (the studio committed exclusively to producing titles for the Rev.) had an interview with IGN that is amazing. Their ideas for Madden on Rev are very very exciting. Just a bit below, but good.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703727p1.html

IGN Wii: Perfect. Could you just for clarification purposes give us an idea of how a typical play might work using the controllers?

John Schappert: So, you take the controller, jerk it up to snap. Quarterback now has the ball. Your passing icons are now up. Take the wand controller and you'll see that the four directions on its D-Pad represent four of your receivers; the A button is your fifth receiver. Point to one of those receivers that you want to receive the ball and with your hand gesture a throwing motion to pass. Now, the harder you throw, the more that's going to be a bullet pass. The softer and the more you lob a throw, the more that it's going to be a lob. When you receive the ball, you run with the analog stick on the nunchuck and if you want to juke, you use the nunchuck to gesture it. And if you want to stiff-arm, you use the wand.

Crap. That is going to have a serious learning curve. If it sells for 150 I will be all over that bad boy.

RaiderH8r
05-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Crap. That is going to have a serious learning curve. If it sells for 150 I will be all over that bad boy.
It will, but everything I've read from Nintendo regarding the controller, since that's the only new info they'll release until E3 next week, indicates they are working very hard to make it feel intuitive and have a high sensitivity to small motion. E3 will be cool, next Tuesday at roughly noon eastern Nintendo unveils the Revolution. News and reviews will be flowing fast and furious.

Ebolapox
05-02-2006, 01:08 PM
xbox 360 premium-400 bucks
nintendo revolution-150 bucks

ps3-(probably) 600 bucks

yeah, I think I'll go with a 360 and revolution

TrickyNicky
05-02-2006, 01:20 PM
I think the Wii goes to market at $199. Every other Nintendo Console has debuted at that number in North America.

RaiderH8r
05-02-2006, 02:59 PM
I think the Wii goes to market at $199. Every other Nintendo Console has debuted at that number in North America.
There's still a load of speculatioin but the one thing that is not speculated and has been absolutely committed to is that Nintendo is going for less than $200...which is good.

Ultra Peanut
05-10-2006, 04:53 PM
There's a small device you place near your TV screen that senses where you are aiming it. It's supposed to make playing first person shooters more like playing with a mouse on PC.

I was reading about a new FPS that is supposed to launch with the Revolution (I can't bring myself to call it the Wii) that's called Red Steel. The designers said they're actually having to make the game harder than most FPS's on consoles b/c of the accuracy you can get with the controller.

http://www.ngcfrance.com/images/news/revolution/red_steel/sca_002.jpg

http://www.gameshout.com/images/steel2.jpgJust for the record, this game is now at the top of my "Holy shit, I must play this!" list.

I'm probably getting either a 360 or a Wii this year, but I don't have a clue which one it will end up being. The pragmatic side will probably go for the 360 (for general usefulness, not price), but the fanciful side... geeze, just look at this stuff.

SLAG
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Just for the record, this game is now at the top of my "Holy shit, I must play this!" list.

I'm probably getting either a 360 or a Wii this year, but I don't have a clue which one it will end up being. The pragmatic side will probably go for the 360 (for general usefulness, not price), but the fanciful side... geeze, just look at this stuff.

The 360's Power cord was the most Genormous thing I have ever seen

you could kill somone with a quick blow to the temple with the damn external power supply.

Damn that thing was huge

i just cant get over how big the powersupply was..

**** it was huge

Guru
05-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Just for the record, this game is now at the top of my "Holy shit, I must play this!" list.

So far the Revolution has been extremely intriging. For the price, it will be the biggest hit this year.

personally, I think they are kicking $ony$ azz.

Valiant
05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
They are suppose to make an adapter controller for the wand that fits into a controller like the gamecube or n64 controller...

Ultra Peanut
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=57233

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=57234

Ultra Peanut
05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Htp7p02w4

TrickyNicky
05-11-2006, 05:28 PM
http://media.revolution.ign.com/media/748/748588/vids_1.html Check out the first video. Awesome boss fight.

Boozer
05-11-2006, 05:57 PM

So they're using revolutionary 1990 "Power Glove" technology?

Talisman
05-11-2006, 07:02 PM
So they're using revolutionary 1990 "Power Glove" technology?
They just announced another peripheral for the wii. It's call the Wobot:

http://www.geocities.com/rabidsmily/Hardware/Nintendo_Entertainment_System/rob.jpg

Boozer
05-11-2006, 07:05 PM
They just announced another peripheral for the wii. It's call the Wobot:

http://www.geocities.com/rabidsmily/Hardware/Nintendo_Entertainment_System/rob.jpg

I can't wait to shell out four hundy to play Gyromite.

Reaper16
05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm loving the SNES add-on. Wiimote controls are neat.

RaiderH8r
05-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Nintendo is pretty much handing Sorny and MacroShaft their asses on a platter. Industry news, MSM, and attendees have all stated that, while it takes a little getting used to, Nintendo's platform is the most FUN of them all. FUN, you remember that don't you. FUN. Mock all you like, Nintendo's showing up the other two. It's amusing.

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Nintendo is pretty much handing Sorny and MacroShaft their asses on a platter. Industry news, MSM, and attendees have all stated that, while it takes a little getting used to, Nintendo's platform is the most FUN of them all. FUN, you remember that don't you. FUN. Mock all you like, Nintendo's showing up the other two. It's amusing.
They're going a whole seperate direction than Sony and Microsoft; the big 2 are creating all-inclusive multimedia giant machines, while Nintendo is focusing on innovatie gameplay expereinces alone, and at a cheaper price. I think Wii is going to surprise people in terms of sales.

Pants
05-12-2006, 12:30 PM

Bullsh*t. If Nintendo doesn't get 10x the amount of 3rd party support Cube had, it's still going to suck as far as sales go. Fanboys will buy it like they bought Gamecube and 7 year olds will get it for their birthdays to play Mario. Now, if they manage to get the American 3rd party support, they might do rather well.

JBucc
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Wii will compete much better than Gamecube in sales. The PS3 is fuggin expensive and Wii makes a great side console for people who already have one of the others.

RaiderH8r
05-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Wii will compete much better than Gamecube in sales. The PS3 is fuggin expensive and Wii makes a great side console for people who already have one of the others.
Microsoft is already pushing that position. Get Nintendo and 360 for the price of a Sorny.

Rev is certainly headed in the right direction. It seems more and more 3rd party developers are announcing every week. Nintendo is going WiFi, the lack of online for the Cube turned a lot of developers off. Let's face it, you're more likely to play a game if you can compete with friends from the comfort of your own home. It was a solid move by developers. Eager to see more of the Rev as they unveil it.

Reaper16
05-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Bullsh*t. If Nintendo doesn't get 10x the amount of 3rd party support Cube had, it's still going to suck as far as sales go. Fanboys will buy it like they bought Gamecube and 7 year olds will get it for their birthdays to play Mario. Now, if they manage to get the American 3rd party support, they might do rather well.
You're a documented Microsoft fanboy, though.

Talisman
05-12-2006, 07:07 PM
It's also the console for whipped husbands who can talk their Mario loving wives into $200 but don't have a chance in hades of talking them into $400-$600.

I think I'm going to do the same thing I did this console generation: start out with my cheap fanboy console from Nintendo to play the Metroid & Zelda games I grew up with and then buy the slimmed down PS console a few years later and get all the cool games for bargain prices.

Pants
05-13-2006, 09:47 AM
You're a documented Microsoft fanboy, though.

Not really. I don't have a 360 and not planning on getting one any time soon. The only thing I argued about that was in favor of MS was that Xbox > PS2.

I also use the proper names of the companies, I don't use "Sorny", "MacroShaft", etc.

CupidStunt
05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I saw the video for the new Zelda game using those controllers. While adopting such technology and getting used to something different than what we've all been using for YEARS will be difficult, it does look intruiging and quite rewarding.