PDA

View Full Version : Maynard James Keenan

BigMeatballDave
04-28-2006, 02:08 AM
Tools frontman. My younger brother told me not long ago that he is A Perfect Circle's lead singer, also. I had no idea. :doh!:

Bob Dole
04-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Tools frontman. My younger brother told me not long ago that he is A Perfect Circle's lead singer, also. I had no idea. :doh!:

Been living under a rock?

He's in Puscifer, too.

Reaper16
04-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Also, he's 42 years old.
Also, he's awesome.

chagrin
04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Did you also know that he likes King Crimson?

Donger
04-28-2006, 11:29 AM

I don't know why you didn't know this. Their music is virtually identical.

chagrin
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't know why you didn't know this. Their music is virtually identical.

Except APC sucks

just my opinion of course

DMAC
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
He's in Puscifer, too.What's the deal with that band. Do they have an album? I have never heard them, just seen them on numerous movie soundtracks.

DMAC
04-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Except APC sucks

just my opinion of courseDo you think they suck just because they are more radio friendly? I like them, especially 13th step, but i feel they were invented to appeal to a wider market. But, who knows?

chagrin
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I don't know, it just seems like they are really just useless. The baldy dude just comes across, to me, as anotther publicity whore - like the smashing pumpkins dude, excpet instead of singing about being pissed because he had a bad childhood, this guy sings about hating God. It doesn't really move me, that's all.

DMAC
04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
this guy sings about hating God. I just dont listen to the lyrics

Bob Dole
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
What's the deal with that band. Do they have an album? I have never heard them, just seen them on numerous movie soundtracks.

As far as Bob Dole knows, there is no album. And numerous = 2.

Bob Dole
04-28-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't know, it just seems like they are really just useless. The baldy dude just comes across, to me, as anotther publicity whore - like the smashing pumpkins dude, excpet instead of singing about being pissed because he had a bad childhood, this guy sings about hating God. It doesn't really move me, that's all.

So you admit you've only listened to one song and didn't like it?

chagrin
04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
So you admit you've only listened to one song and didn't like it?

Bob,

I only heard something like 3 songs by APC, I didn't like what I heard and from the interviews I have seen in FUEL (and I am not about to go DC with this, so don't ask for sources - I don't remember, because I blew them off) they seem to be nothing more than attention seeking kids, Maynard not withstanding.

And as far as pure "suck" goes, lyrics or no lyrics? I have heard more than "Imagine" off the new record, and I'd say it qualifies for "suck" level.

I am sorry if you don't agree with me, but there it is.

DMAC
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Bob,

I only heard something like 3 songs by APC, I didn't like what I heard and from the interviews I have seen in FUEL (and I am not about to go DC with this, so don't ask for sources - I don't remember, because I blew them off) they seem to be nothing more than attention seeking kids, Maynard not withstanding.

And as far as pure "suck" goes, lyrics or no lyrics? I have heard more than "Imagine" off the new record, and I'd say it qualifies for "suck" level.

I am sorry if you don't agree with me, but there it is.Oh Chag you cant base if you like them off Emotive. It was just a bunch of anti war remakes, I personally think that album was made to put an end to APC. Go out and get 13th step. It is very good.

chagrin
04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
I won't go buy it, but I might download it.

I guess I'm just in a pissy mood today. Badgirl's leaving is really getting to me

Bob Dole
04-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Bob,

I am sorry if you don't agree with me, but there it is.

Bob Dole was referring more to your statement that they are just songs about hating God.

Bob Dole has never been one to tell people what they should and shouldn't like musically. Music is most definitely a subjective thing. If you think Tool and APC suck, you're entitled to that opinion (and entitled to state it).

chagrin
04-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Bob Dole was referring more to your statement that they are just songs about hating God.

Bob Dole has never been one to tell people what they should and shouldn't like musically. Music is most definitely a subjective thing. If you think Tool and APC suck, you're entitled to that opinion (and entitled to state it).

I never get tired of Bob Dole statements ROFL

Sorry about the defensiveness, I'm all messed up over Badgirl taking off to titanville :deevee:

HC_Chief
04-28-2006, 01:19 PM
APC's first album <i>Mer de Noms</i> was infinitely better than their second, boring, listless release. I haven't bothered with the third.

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
maynard likes to drink soda... his favor color? green.

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 02:17 PM
APC's first album <i>Mer de Noms</i> was infinitely better than their second, boring, listless release. I haven't bothered with the third.
WHAT?!!!
mer de noms was great but thirteenth step was just SICK.. twiggy (Jeordie White) and josh freese had A LOT of input on this album whereas mer de noms was pretty much all Billy Howerdel - old guitar/stage tech for Nine Inch Nails - thus, most of the guitar parts being played around the same frets.. oh and w/a slide.. got on nerves :shrug:
anywho-HA, thirteenth step is a great album and shouldn't even be compared to mer de noms, IMO. The Package, The Noose, The Ousider, The Nurse who loved me (Failure cover).. good things on this album

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh Chag you cant base if you like them off Emotive. It was just a bunch of anti war remakes, I personally think that album was made to put an end to APC. Go out and get 13th step. It is very good.
:thumb: :thumb:

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
he doesn't hate god.. just your god. maynard has made this very clear in numerous interviews.

Cochise
04-28-2006, 02:22 PM

Iha is a great musician. On top of that, he has a wide range of capability. He did the mellowest acoustic album you ever heard, worked in everything from surreal rock to electronica with the smashing pumpkins.

On top of that, the guy has virtually zero noteriety aside from fans of the smashing pumpkins. How can you call him a publicity whore? Especially with as unremarkable of an act as A Perfect Circle.

Your and idiot.

DMAC
04-28-2006, 02:28 PM
he doesn't hate god.. just your god. maynard has made this very clear in numerous interviews.I think he hates the way that God is celebrated through outputs such as religion. I'm not sure but I think that's what he is talking about in the song 10000 days (Wings for Marie part 2).

HC_Chief
04-28-2006, 02:32 PM
WHAT?!!!
mer de noms was great but thirteenth step was just SICK..

I found it incredibly boring. As a matter of fact, I gave it away (sent it to Iraq... hopefully one of our soldiers enjoys it).

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Iha is a great musician. On top of that, he has a wide range of capability. He did the mellowest acoustic album you ever heard, worked in everything from surreal rock to electronica with the smashing pumpkins.

On top of that, the guy has virtually zero noteriety aside from fans of the smashing pumpkins. How can you call him a publicity whore? Especially with as unremarkable of an act as A Perfect Circle.
good post.

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 02:34 PM
I found it incredibly boring. As a matter of fact, I gave it away (sent it to Iraq... hopefully one of our soldiers enjoys it).
:shake:
someone will appreciate it

HC_Chief
04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
:shake:
someone will appreciate it

I hope so. That album is one of the main reasons I now TORRENT everything prior to purchase ;)

I was pissed. Actually angry. I looked forward to that release for quite a while only to have it bore the hell outta me. I am not a fan of slow, emo crap.... the majority of the album had that feel for me (I was a fan of "The Outsider".... expected more of that sound)

Queens of the Stone Age "Lullabies to Paralyze" was in the same shipment to Iraq; another album I was looking forward to, only to be sorely disappointed.

chagrin
04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
he doesn't hate god.. just your god. maynard has made this very clear in numerous interviews.

LOOK,

I did not intend for this to be an indictment on religion, I am not "pimping" God, I just used an example of something I heard on hi ssong and used it as my example.

I am not going to discuss religion here, got nothing to do with TOOL and ME

Carry on

DMAC
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
"Lullabies to Paralyze" The name should have given it away.

chagrin
04-28-2006, 02:45 PM

On top of that, the guy has virtually zero noteriety aside from fans of the smashing pumpkins.

Part I
How can you call him a publicity whore?

My answer is that I didn't call him an attention whore. I stated that they seem to be attention whores, at least that's what I got out of all the interviews and performances I saw on FUEL, not eve a live concert. I reserve my right to judge any band I see fit, just as you do.

Especially with as unremarkable of an act as A Perfect Circle.

Your and idiot.

Ooh, he did an acoustic album, that was mellow and this makes him someone I am supposed to like? How do you know what I like and what acoustic music I have listened to.

BTW the "mellowest" acoustic music I have ever heard is by Tim Snow; I suggest YOU check IT out.

It has nothing to do with James Iha's talents.

I said their music doesn't move me, I don't have to defend myself to you.

If APC doesn't sound good to me, live with it =you don't have to stoop to calling me and idiot just because I don't feel the same way you do.

DMAC
04-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Manure Fight!!! Chag just hit Cochise in the boot!!

chagrin
04-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Manure Fight!!! Chag just hit Cochise in the boot!!

What the hell does that mean exactly?

HC_Chief
04-28-2006, 03:06 PM
The name should have given it away.

heh, well if I were particular in names/titles I never would have purchased a "Queens of the Stone Age" album in the first place ;)

DMAC
04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
What the hell does that mean exactly?When I was a kid helping on my friends cattle farm, me and his grandpa would get into manure fights where we would fling manure on each other with sticks. Of course we would dodge the oncoming onslaught of poo. The only hit came when he tagged me right on the boot.

So when I see 2 people getting into it, I yell Manure Fight!!

Sorry, sometimes I forget that nobody knows me on here.

Der Flöprer
04-28-2006, 03:15 PM

Precisely. I understand that real TOOL fans understand that eulogy is a tribute to Bill Hicks but that song has a serious resemblance to a rant against Jesus Christ. Whether it be APC or TOOL there is some anti god rant, but as surfer said, it is YOUR God not Maynards. Or mine for that matter.

BigMeatballDave
05-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Been living under a rock?

He's in Puscifer, too.Well, I do live in Ohio, so...
:)

BigMeatballDave
05-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Before XM and Squizz, I haven't really gotten into some on these lesser known metal bands(A Perfect circle). I've only known of Tool for about 5 years. Pathetic, I know. For some reason, I've never liked Korn, Slipknot, and Mudvayne. Now, I like them. I've been missing out.

BigMeatballDave
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
What's the deal with that band. Do they have an album? I have never heard them, just seen them on numerous movie soundtracks.I've heard them on Squizz.

Molitoth
05-03-2006, 12:11 PM
For some reason, I've never liked Korn, Slipknot, and Mudvayne. Now, I like them. I've been missing out.

Just think of how much underground stuff that is 1000 times better then Korn, Mudvayne, and Slipknot that you are missing out on....

Reaper16
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Just think of how much underground stuff that is 1000 times better then Korn, Mudvayne, and Slipknot that you are missing out on....
Mudvayne rule hard; I will fist fight anyone who says otherwise. I'm completely serious - someone will get ****ed up.

Der Flöprer
05-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Before XM and Squizz, I haven't really gotten into some on these lesser known metal bands(A Perfect circle). I've only known of Tool for about 5 years. Pathetic, I know. For some reason, I've never liked Korn, Slipknot, and Mudvayne. Now, I like them. I've been missing out.

better late than never. try listening to some Rush

JamSec128
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Read, in one of my Guitar Mags that Maynard is also going to be doing a few shows with Alice in Chains, when they kick off the reunited tour at the end of the summer. Alice in Chains is going to have rotating lineup, different singer each night. No dates announced yet but the following ppl will be filling in.

Tool's Maynard James Keenan, Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin, Heart's Ann Wilson, and Comes with the Fall singer William DuVall.

Tool's Maynard James Keenan, Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin, Heart's Ann Wilson all sang with Alice in Chains last month durning a 5 song set in Alantic City, opening for Heart.