PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the 240lb. DE's?!

Chris Meck
04-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Man, I've gotta tell you...

I don't like the idea of paying first round money for a guy that will only be on the field half the time. I mean, maybe some of these guys can bulk up some, but I don't know about bulking up 30-40 pounds in order to be an every down player.

I think Allen is best suited on the weak side, as he's not real big either. So you're basically looking for a strong-side DE; which traditionally are a little bigger.

I'm a firm believer in the theory that you build quality football teams from the inside out, front to back; that it all starts with quality line play that allows your second and third level "skill position" players to flourish. If you look at teams that build that way, you see consistent winners. Even in KC, it's clear that our offensive line is THE key to our success. (For the opposite's evidence, look at Detroit, Oakland, Houston, etc.) So I desperately want a book-end pass rusher to pair with Allen; but I don't want a situational pass rusher, I want a complete player.

If I were running the draft, I'd be real tempted to trade down a few spots to one of the teams coveting a Lawson-type player (which is fine if you're running a 3-4 and want to use him as an OLB) and look for someone with more size and 'all-around' versatility. Like Hali, maybe.

For what it's worth, I'm sort of against a CB in round 1; I think in the current NFL that CB is not the position of worth it has been in the past. I just think it's rare that you really get a star CB anymore with the rules being enforced as they have been the last couple of years.

Just thinking out loud,

Chris Meck

ct
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Would it change you opinion of Lawson if you heard that Jevon Kearse, John Abraham, and Jason Taylor all came into the league in the 240s also?

Chris Meck
04-28-2006, 11:47 AM
No, I'm aware of that. I just don't think that any of those guys are the norm. They're unusual, and I'm leery of banking on that.

My thinking is like this:

If you get a pass rusher with your first rounder that you have to rotate off the field on first and second down, that's one thing.

I'd rather have a guy that is also an excellent run defender. It allows you to do more things with your LB's in blitz schemes, etc.

I'm not gonna throw a fit if we draft Lawson, for example, but I'm not sold on the VALUE of it.

Mr. Laz
04-28-2006, 12:12 PM
as offensive tackles have become bigger ... power has become less effective in the DE pass rush.

to combat the huge tackles the DE's have started using speed to just run around them.

just my 2 cents

ct
04-28-2006, 12:20 PM
I think you're right Laz. Pendulum seems to be swinging back to a smaller player. Also the rotation system of specialization lessens the need for an every down guy.

Chris, I have felt the very same way as you, up until the last few days when I've started reading and watching more video of Lawson. He is a lanky kinda guy, seems very willing to put on some weight, and frankly, I saw him making plenty of plays away from the QB in the run game too.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I would rather have an impact player that excelled at the main thing our defense is lacking.....a consistent edge pass rush, rather than taking a guy that was a solid all around player but really won't be great at anything....it seems like we have enough of those guys.

That's just me.

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I feel the same way as Coryt does. I watched a few films on him earlier and he was making some nice run stopping plays. As was Hali.

Coogs
04-28-2006, 02:16 PM
I think it is a cyclic type of thing. Bigger DE's, Bigger OT's... then Bigger DE's, Bigger OT's... and more Bigger DE's, Bigger OT's to counter.

Now that the OT's are so huge, a smaller faster DE seems to be just the ticket to win the battle. Look at the Bears D for example.

BigChiefFan
04-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Speed kills. Speed is where DEs can get the better of an OT. I don't see any problem with it.

milkman
04-28-2006, 06:42 PM
I would rather have an impact player that excelled at the main thing our defense is lacking.....a consistent edge pass rush, rather than taking a guy that was a solid all around player but really won't be great at anything....it seems like we have enough of those guys.

That's just me.

I'm assuming that you are referring to Tamba Hali when you dscribe the solid all around player.

I'm hoping that Lawson is there at #20.

However, if he's gone, I'm hoping that the Chiefs find a trade partner to move back, and take Hali with that later pick.

I think he's a player whose desire and work ethic will lift his play to a higher level than many of you expect.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm assuming that you are referring to Tamba Hali when you dscribe the solid all around player.

I'm hoping that Lawson is there at #20.

However, if he's gone, I'm hoping that the Chiefs find a trade partner to move back, and take Hali with that later pick.

I think he's a player whose desire and work ethic will lift his play to a higher level than many of you expect.

Yep, I was basically referring to Hali.

I know there are some on here that really like Hali, but I just don't believe that a high-motor guy like him with below average speed and athleticism for his position is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. He seems like a Vonnie Holliday clone to me, and that's not what we need.

Sorry, I know that opinion is unpopular on here, but I just don't see him being that elite edge rusher that we really need.

milkman
04-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Yep, I was basically referring to Hali.

I know there are some on here that really like Hali, but I just don't believe that a high-motor guy like him with below average speed and athleticism for his position is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick. He seems like a Vonnie Holliday clone to me, and that's not what we need.

Sorry, I know that opinion is unpopular on here, but I just don't see him being that elite edge rusher that we really need.

Don't apologize for sharing your opinion.

Yours is as valid as mine.

But don't forget to apologize in a couple of years when you've been proven wrong! :p

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Don't apologize for sharing your opinion.

Yours is as valid as mine.

But don't forget to apologize in a couple of years when you've been proven wrong! :p

Eh, seems like some people on here take objections personally, so I wanted to diffuse any argument ahead of time....even though I know i'm right.

:)