PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to see "United 93" ?

Deberg_1990
04-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Simple question....ill leave it at that. Its getting some of the most positive reviews ive ever seen. Paul (Bourne Supremecy) Greengrass directed it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_93/

JBucc
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
I'll rent it

BIG_DADDY
04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
NO

InChiefsHell
04-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes. I'm taking my kids too.

ct
04-28-2006, 11:39 AM
no

StcChief
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
after the crowds thin out.

Sure-Oz
04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
yes

jspchief
04-28-2006, 11:47 AM
No. I have a problem with Hollywood profiting off this tragedy so soon after it happened.

Katipan
04-28-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd like to watch it at home.

I bet I cry.

ENDelt260
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
No. I have a problem with Hollywood profiting off this tragedy so soon after it happened.
What would be an appropriate length of time?

jspchief
04-28-2006, 11:57 AM
What would be an appropriate length of time?I have no idea. I just know that my current opinion is that it's too soon, so I won't support it. If a larger portion of the proceeds was going to victims families or other related causes, I'd probably feel differently.

I know that a lot of steps have been made to do it in good taste. I know that most family members OK'd it. But I also know that this movie is being made because Hollywood thinks they can turn a buck on it, and that doesn't sit well with me.

jynni
04-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD, get it from Netflix and then cry my eyes out in the privacy of my own home.

58-4ever
04-28-2006, 11:59 AM
I saw the made-for-TV movie, and it was pretty good. I don't know if I'll pay 8 bucks to go see this one at the theater though.

MOhillbilly
04-28-2006, 12:00 PM
no. its tacky.

Herzig
04-28-2006, 12:02 PM
What's intriguing to me about it is the fact that it is more of view from the air traffic controllers' perspective of 9/11. I played golf with an ATC that was working in Cleveland that day...to ground 4000 planes simulatneously and get all of them down safely(excluding the hijacked planes) was pretty amazing. I think that job pretty much already has a super high amount of stress.

Katipan
04-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Air traffic controllers have a high suicide rate I think. Someone told me that. People tell me lots of things tho. Maybe she was lying.

vailpass
04-28-2006, 12:03 PM

I heard a good percentage of the proceeds is earmarke for the contruction of a monument at the crash site.
Still, I have to agree that Hollyweird will make cash off of this story and that seems somehow wrong.

jspchief
04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I heard a good percentage of the proceeds is earmarke for the contruction of a monument at the crash site.
Still, I have to agree that Hollyweird will make cash off of this story and that seems somehow wrong.10% is the number I heard.

ct
04-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Listen, there's a contractor who works up here, not sure exactly where he's from, but he's middle-eastern descent. He really wants to see this show, and speaking to him it's just innocent curiousity to see how they portray the passengers, the emotion, the bravety and tragedy. He is extremely concerned how his attendence could get him in a bad spot with some folks. Even considered going with a group of friends(also ME descent), but thinks that's an even worse idea. He's not sure what to do.

Any thoughts?

Fish
04-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Spoiler.........

The plane crashes.... everybody dies.........

Just sayin.....

ct
04-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Spoiler.........

The plane crashes.... everybody dies.........

Just sayin.....

nuthooks

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 12:10 PM
No. It's a docudrama that will end up being presented as something else...like 'reality tv' on a big screen.

Deberg_1990
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I have no idea. I just know that my current opinion is that it's too soon, so I won't support it. If a larger portion of the proceeds was going to victims families or other related causes, I'd probably feel differently.

I know that a lot of steps have been made to do it in good taste. I know that most family members OK'd it. But I also know that this movie is being made because Hollywood thinks they can turn a buck on it, and that doesn't sit well with me.

So was it wrong to for Hollywood to make films about Pearl Harbor as well????

Inspector
04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
So...what's it about?

KCTitus
04-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I want to, but Im not sure I could deal with the emotions that the movie will evoke. I still get upset when I think about that day...driving home after our building was evacuated because our building is next door to a federal reserve building, getting home and flying the flag...Still chokes me up/gets the blood boiling a little.

Im up in the air on it, but have heard good things about the movie.

vailpass
04-28-2006, 12:15 PM
10% is the number I heard.

If it's 10% of total profits that is a fairly significant contribution, IMHO.
Can you believe what a prick the Senator (is it a Senator?) is being by denying the necessary funding to build the monument?

Fish
04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
This movie.... and the new gem coming out on ABC soon...."Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America"

Let's all profit from America's new fad..... Scare Tactics for our Ignorant Society...

jspchief
04-28-2006, 12:24 PM
So was it wrong to for Hollywood to make films about Pearl Harbor as well????Wrong? I don't even know if it's wrong in regards to Flight 93. I just know that I don't feel comfortable supporting it.

I wasn't alive during Pearl Harbor. I don't know what the mindset of the nation was. I think I probably would have felt the same way about those films. But growing up in an entirely different era, I'm not really sure.

jspchief
04-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Can you believe what a prick the Senator (is it a Senator?) is being by denying the necessary funding to build the monument?10% might be a lot of money. But in relative terms, it's a small slice of the pie.

I don't know what percentage would fit. Maybe 50%. It's purely my subjective opinion.

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 12:28 PM
This movie.... and the new gem coming out on ABC soon...."Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America"

Let's all profit from America's new fad..... Scare Tactics for our Ignorant Society...

Bravo! :clap:

Duck Dog
04-28-2006, 12:28 PM

Are you going for the record for the most dumbass comments on one page?

Duck Dog
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD, get it from Netflix and then cry my eyes out in the privacy of my own home.

Dito.

'cept for the crying my eyes out part.

kaplin42
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM

Barring the too soon part, I totaly agree.

Some may say that the movie was made to portray the humantiy, horror, and heroism that took place that day. I say if you believe that crap, then please go stick your head in a garbage compactor. This movie was made for one reason, to make a buck, and thats it. The studios may be giving some of the profit to a charitable cause, but that is only to make themselves not look so bad. I will not see this movie ever, not in theatres, on DVD or late night cable. And the studio exec who okayed the film should be beaten.

Frazod
04-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Nope. I don't need to relive any of crap. Like it's not burned into our brains anyway.

Duck Dog
04-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Barring the too soon part, I totaly agree.

Some may say that the movie was made to portray the humantiy, horror, and heroism that took place that day. I say if you believe that crap, then please go stick your head in a garbage compactor. This movie was made for one reason, to make a buck, and thats it. The studios may be giving some of the profit to a charitable cause, but that is only to make themselves not look so bad. I will not see this movie ever, not in theatres, on DVD or late night cable. And the studio exec who okayed the film should be beaten.

Hollywood, IMO, is just a step above Islamists and meme on the evolution chart, that being said, should everyone who watches it be beaten too?

MOhillbilly
04-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Hollywood, IMO, is just a step above Islamists and meme on the evolution chart, that being said, should everyone who watches it be beaten too?

Because its run by jews?

patteeu
04-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Can you believe what a prick the Senator (is it a Senator?) is being by denying the necessary funding to build the monument?

I think it's 10% of the opening weekend. And I think it's 10% of the gross as opposed to 10% of the profit, but I could be wrong.

patteeu
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Listen, there's a contractor who works up here, not sure exactly where he's from, but he's middle-eastern descent. He really wants to see this show, and speaking to him it's just innocent curiousity to see how they portray the passengers, the emotion, the bravety and tragedy. He is extremely concerned how his attendence could get him in a bad spot with some folks. Even considered going with a group of friends(also ME descent), but thinks that's an even worse idea. He's not sure what to do.

Any thoughts?

My advice is to stay home and wait for the DVD. I think his concerns are justified. If he needs to see it in the theater, he should try to go with a bunch of obviously American types.

vailpass
04-28-2006, 12:39 PM
I think it's 10% of the opening weekend. And I think it's 10% of the gross as opposed to 10% of the profit, but I could be wrong.

Gross is better than net I guess but if it's only opening day and not total profits I wonder how much that will come to? How much is a strong opening day box office take?

Radar Chief
04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
So...what's it about?

It’s ‘bout 90 minutes too long.
Buh, dum, tish. ;)

kaplin42
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Meh, your last question is a tough one. No, I don't think the viewers should be beaten, who am I to tell me what they can watch and can't. For that matter who am I to tell people what movies they can make and can't. I just think its incredibly trashy, and low to make a movie about this. But then I can't explain why it's fair to have the one guy beaten and not the viewers. In my twisted mind, it works out perfectly.

Raiderhader
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM

I do not disagree that this was a tragedy, however I have trouble viewing it as such. I tend to think of it more as an act of heroism and bravery that stopped an even larger tragedy, the plane reaching the intended target.

I think this is a story that should be told, and those doing the telling should be supported so long as it is accuracte (as accurate as it can be with what details we have on the subject) and done in a tasteful manner. So what if they make a buck? This is still capitalist America is it not? We still believe in paying for a job well done and a quality product, do we not?

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
My advice is to stay home and wait for the DVD. I think his concerns are justified. If he needs to see it in the theater, he should try to go with a bunch of obviously American types.

If he's really that curious he could probably check it out via Bit Torrent within a week after it's released.

Katipan
04-28-2006, 12:52 PM
raiderhader's post just made me realize i really don't mind if they make a buck. if it's done right, they deserve it. if most of the family members appreciate it, that's all i'll care about.

Raiderhader
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
No. It's a docudrama that will end up being presented as something else...like 'reality tv' on a big screen.

Yet she takes her kids to see Michael Moore's docufiction that was presented as reality.

You are a sick twisted individual. Seek help.

keg in kc
04-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Probably, because according to a number of reviews I've read, it's apparently an excellent film, regardless of the subject matter.

As for the docudrama bit, I've read that it's much more involved with the response than it is with the motivation of the terrorists, although obviously the events on the plane are portreyed. Even so, apparently they barely even talk in the film.

Donger
04-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Yet she takes her kids to see Michael Moore's docufiction that was presented as reality.

Ouch.

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 12:59 PM

You can argue that Michael Moore inserted his political views and used news footage in a ways that supported his points without attention, or regard, to context...

however, you cannot state he made up dialogue, actions, and events attributed them to real people and real events in an attempt to re-create something as entertainment. Yes, he may have scenes in his film that did this but the entire film is not unverifiable fiction based on a few verifiable facts.

Meaning, MM didn't create a story out of events that happened, may have happened, didn't happen. He took events that did happen and gave his interpretation of the story surrounding them. In this film, because we have a lack of real understanding of what went on in that airplane and because we have no verifiable means of confirming what is presented, the situation is quite different. I don't expect you to be able to decipher the difference.

vailpass
04-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Okay who unbarred the door to DC?

Thig Lyfe
04-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes, I hope to, but then again I've hoped to see lots of movies. While it does seem a little too soon, I don't think it's exploitation at all. It seems like an attempt to realistically portray the events while still making a good movie.

Iowanian
04-28-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't need to see this movie to still be pissed off.

I'd say its about time to have the networks replay 9-11, including the video of the jumpers. A little slap in the face wouldn't hurt some folks at all.

Raiderhader
04-28-2006, 01:16 PM
You can argue that Michael Moore inserted his political views and used news footage in a ways that supported his points without attention, or regard, to context...

however, you cannot state he made up dialogue, actions, and events attributed them to real people and real events in an attempt to re-create something as entertainment. Yes, he may have scenes in his film that did this but the entire film is not unverifiable fiction based on a few verifiable facts.

Meaning, MM didn't create a story out of events that happened, may have happened, didn't happen. He took events that did happen and gave his interpretation of the story surrounding them. In this film, because we have a lack of real understanding of what went on in that airplane and because we have no verifiable means of confirming what is presented, the situation is quite different. I don't expect you to be able to decipher the difference.

I am fully capable of understanding the difference: One film HAS to improvise because of a lack of details concerning exactly what happened, yet still manages to capture the essence of what took place. The other film CHOSE to improvise, spin, take out of context, and even lie for political and personal reasons.

The difference is, you supported a film that was completely disingenious because it fits your personal (and misguided) beliefs, but refuse to see a film that attempts to be as accurate as circumstances will allow simply because you don't care to see your terrorist buddies' one loss that day.

Iowanian
04-28-2006, 01:17 PM
If he goes with a group of male cabbies..he's asking for trouble(not litterally, but it is likely). I think he'd be better off to go with some other Americans.

If he were to say...cheer when it crashes....well, the results are on him.

In 7th grade, I saw some Vietnamese guys cheer at Full Metal Jacket...when the chic sniper shoots the Soldiers. That went badly for them.

Any thoughts?

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 01:26 PM
The difference is, you supported a film that was completely disingenious because it fits your personal (and misguided) beliefs, but refuse to see a film that attempts to be as accurate as circumstances will allow simply because you don't care to see your terrorist buddies' one loss that day.

Terrorist buddies? :rolleyes:

Well, I'll grant you that one is unabashedly overtly political and makes no claims otherwise while the other... :hmmm:

Regardless, both are intent on selling their version of history whether they market it as a drama, docudrama, or entertainment.

HC_Chief
04-28-2006, 01:30 PM

I'd say its about time to have the networks replay 9-11, including the video of the jumpers. A little slap in the face wouldn't hurt some folks at all.

A Chuck Norris roundhouse to the ass wouldn't snap <i>some</i> f*cktards into reality.

Of course, that would also be instantly lethal, so I'm for it :thumb:

ct
04-28-2006, 01:30 PM

That is exactly what I told him. Just looking for other opinions. Thanks.

Taco John
04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
No. I couldn't imagine anything more tacky.

Reminds me of the new Tool song "Vicarious."

Eye on the the TV
'Cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be, like...
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used a poison
in his tea...kissed him goodbye"
THAT'S my kind of story
It's no fun 'til someone dies

Don't look at me like
I am a monster
Frown out your one face
But with the other
Stare like a junkie
Into the TV
Stare like a zombie

While the mother holds her child
Watches him die
Hands to the sky crying,
"Why, oh why?"

Cause I need to watch things die... from a distance
Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
YOU ALL NEED IT TOO, DON'T LIE

Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing
Neither the brave nor bold
WILL WRITE US the story's told
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing

I need to watch things die... from a good safe distance
You all feel the same, so...

Blood like rain falling down
DRUM ON GRAVE AND GROUND

Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and Voyuer
Stare at the TRANSMITTAL
Sing to the death rattle

La, la, la, la, la, la-la-lie (x4)

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
But pull your head on out
YOUR HEAD PLEASE, and give a listen
Shouldn't have to say it all again

The universe is hostile, so impersonal
Devour to survive... so it is, so it's always been

We all feed on tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire

Much better you than I

QuikSsurfer
04-28-2006, 01:35 PM
i have no desire.
where's the poll?

Raiderhader
04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Terrorist buddies? :rolleyes:

Well, I'll grant you that one is unabashedly overtly political and makes no claims otherwise while the other... :hmmm:

Regardless, both are intent on selling their version of history whether they market it as a drama, docudrama, or entertainment.

You haven't read very many reviews about this movie, have you?

Katipan
04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I bet it's an entirely new trait in human nature.

4th and Long
04-28-2006, 01:38 PM
I have no reason to pay money to see this film. Everyone knows the story (planes gets hijacked) and how the movie ends (plane crashes, killing everyone). The only people that truly know what happened on that flight are unable to give their accounts. Everything else is Hollywood and speculation.

picasso
04-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I am fully capable of understanding the difference: One film HAS to improvise because of a lack of details concerning exactly what happened, yet still manages to capture the essence of what took place. The other film CHOSE to improvise, spin, take out of context, and even lie for political and personal reasons.

I liked the part in MM's movie where Bush just sat on his assface in the class room after being told about it, before he took to the air for safety and rushing the Bin Ladens out of the U.S. He looked like a little kid who had the shits.

I wonder who wil play the role of Bush in United 93? I hope it's the guy from the tonight show he's hilarious. Was he the guy who played the part in the MM movie as well? :)

Taco John
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I hear that the movie producers strapped dynamite onto the terrorists because it was just too unbelievable that they were able to hijack a plane with box cutters in the early screenings...

Iowanian
04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
if T@co had been the director, he'd have them all on bluetooth with Bush giving them orders on when to set off each explosive charge.

mikey23545
04-28-2006, 02:52 PM

You are seriously saying that since no video cameras were onboard that day to record actions and dialogue no movie should ever be made about the event? Or if it was, then the actors playing passengers should have to sit silently in their seats since we don't know what they <i>really</i> said or did?....

Or are you saying those Middle Eastern thugs ( like the ones you sell your ass to every night ) should never be shown in a bad light?

Go **** yourself.

Taco John
04-28-2006, 02:53 PM
if T@co had been the director, he'd have them all on bluetooth with Bush giving them orders on when to set off each explosive charge.

I would certainly include evidence in the public record of Flight 93 having landed in Cleveland with a bomb threat (56:30 in the video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8260059923762628848&q=eyewitness&pl=true)). I might also include the scientific fact (http://www.physics911.net/projectachilles.htm) that in 2001 it would have been impossible to make cell phone calls from cruising altitude of an airplane.

As was shown above, the chance of a typical cellphone call from cruising altitude making it to ground and engaging a cellsite there is less than one in a hundred. To calculate the probability that two such calls will succeed involves elementary probability theory. The resultant probability is the product of the two probabilities, taken separately. In other words, the probability that two callers will succeed is less than one in ten thousand. In the case of a hundred such calls, even if a large majority fail, the chance of, say 13 calls getting through can only be described as infinitesimal. In operational terms, this means "impossible."

http://www.physics911.net/projectachilles.htm

HC_Chief
04-28-2006, 03:11 PM

Gawdamn you nailed it!

cdcox
04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
If I'd made the film, I'd have Bruce Willis take out the terrorists and then Tom Cruise fly the fighter that shot the plane out of the sky.

Taco John
04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Of course he did. I've been very open about my skepticism of the official report for some time now given the scientific invalidity of it all.

Donger
04-28-2006, 03:16 PM
I might also include the scientific fact (http://www.physics911.net/projectachilles.htm) that in 2001 it would have been impossible to make cell phone calls from cruising altitude of an airplane.

At altitude, it's certainly not easy, but it can be done.

Iowanian
04-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I made a cell phone call from an airplane in 1999.

Of Course, T@co is easily confused, since he is currently working on his hypothesis that Lucky Charms aren't actually made by a REAL cartoon leprachan and Keebler fudge stripes aren't really painted on by elves in a chocolate tree trunk.

Donger
04-28-2006, 03:21 PM
I made a cell phone call from an airplane in 1999.

Of Course, T@co is easily confused, since he is currently working on his hypothesis that Lucky Charms aren't actually made by a REAL cartoon leprachan and Keebler fudge stripes aren't really painted on by elves in a chocolate tree trunk.

ROFL

IIRC, some outfit a little more reputable than Taco's watched the spectrum and deduced that one to four cell phone calls are made on EVERY commercial flight.

Taco John
04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Actually, the hypothesis that I'm currently working on is that 80% of all farmers who are against welfare are accepting it themselves from the government.

Hydrae
04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Havent' read all the replies but I just have to say that I have no desire to see this movie. Way too much raw emotion with regards to that day for me still.

RedNFeisty
04-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Most certainly, I am very curious. With it being a movie you know things are going to be embellished.

Sully
04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I saw the movie. Just got back from it. I made a thread about what I thought, but I made it separate from this, as this has become exactly what we all knew it would.

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 03:43 PM
You are seriously saying that since no video cameras were onboard that day to record actions and dialogue no movie should ever be made about the event? Or if it was, then the actors playing passengers should have to sit silently in their seats since we don't know what they <i>really</i> said or did?....

Where, exactly, did I say either of these two things?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if the movie is made or not. Frankly, I'm of the belief that the same crowd who finds 'reality' tv to be entertaining and believeable will also enjoy this movie. Meaning, the entertainment value has more importance to them than the actual validity or veracity of the program they are watching. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that...

different strokes for different folks.

Iowanian
04-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Actually, the hypothesis that I'm currently working on is that 80% of all farmers who are against welfare are accepting it themselves from the government.

Oh, how cute....the fat kid talking with his mouth full again.

Taco John
04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh, how cute....the fat kid talking with his mouth full again.

Hey, welfare is a good gig if you can get it. If I could get the taxpayers to pay for my "way of life" I'd be all over it in a heartbeat, right?

Talisman
04-28-2006, 04:39 PM
I have no idea. I just know that my current opinion is that it's too soon, so I won't support it. If a larger portion of the proceeds was going to victims families or other related causes, I'd probably feel differently.

The director said he wouldn't make the movie unless he got 100% approval from all of the families of the victims. They all signed off on it. He got as much information as he could about each person who was on board even asking the families if they know what clothes each person was wearing. I think that says a lot about it being as accurate of a portrayal as possible.

I agree w/ raiderhader. It's a story of heroism during a tragedy. And not just by those on the plane. I'm interested to find out about all of the stuff that was going on behind the scenes at air traffic control and with the military. I heard that the head guy over US aviation whose decision it was to ground all the planes plays himself in the movie.

I hope it does well and I'll probably catch it at the cheap theatre before it hits DVD.

big nasty kcnut
04-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Coryt tell your friend to go cause it's wasn't them that try to kill american it's was the nutcases muslim that did like i laway say muslim aren't bad people just the nutcases muslims. But tell them to sit in the back just in case.

Raiderhader
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Wow. That shook me a little more than I expected.......

UteChief
05-01-2006, 09:12 PM

I can't agree more!

Simplex3
05-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Wow. That shook me a little more than I expected.......
I will admit that I'm not ready to watch this movie and may never be.

Simplex3
05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I can't agree more!
While I would tend to agree, I think a large percentage of the people (read "idiots") in this country can't remember anything they haven't been directly exposed to within the last two years. Since we have such an absurdly celebrity-centric culture the only way to get this back in front of the masses are movies, TV, and pop music. Movies are the only medium of the three that can really do this justice.

While it's very sad that they're making the movie it's even sadder that they need to.

Halfcan
05-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I don't know if I will see the movie. It is still very fresh in my mind. I was in NY the last day they took the cross down. It was the saddest thing I ever saw. The victims clothes were lined up on a fence. Their families were crying, it was horible.

Raiderhader
05-01-2006, 09:27 PM
I will admit that I'm not ready to watch this movie and may never be.

It needs to be seen.

There is no political message or spin and not really much in the way of Hollywood theatrics that we have come to expect from these types of movies (with the exception of what really happened on the plane, but that is beyond control, and it really wasn't anything over the top, in my eyes anyway). It is just a depiction of what did take place, and what we believe may have taken place. Pure raw emotion. It is gut wrenching from the word go, for obvious reasons. Seeing the footage of the second plane flying into the second tower at regular speed (I had only seen it in slow motion on the news) totally rocked me and the young lady that went with me. And I don't know how Ben Sliney and the other people who played themselves managed to do so. How they were able to relieve the horror they went through that day is beyond me. All I know is, if they could find the strength to tell this horrific, yet heoric story, we need to find the strength to go see it.

stevieray
05-01-2006, 09:31 PM
sadder that they need to.

:clap:

Raiderhader
05-01-2006, 09:34 PM
While I would tend to agree, I think a large percentage of the people (read "idiots") in this country can't remember anything they haven't been directly exposed to within the last two years. Since we have such an absurdly celebrity-centric culture the only way to get this back in front of the masses are movies, TV, and pop music. Movies are the only medium of the three that can really do this justice.

While it's very sad that they're making the movie it's even sadder that they need to.

I agree with this only to a point. If it were just a story about tragedy I would agree completely. The actions taken by the people aboard that flight deserve to be shown. They were just ordinary people like you and me who decided they did not want to be pawns in the sick game being played, so they took action to thwart the evil plan. As it so happened, they were doomed to succeed.

It is a story worth putting on film, IF done properly. And this was done properly.

Nzoner
05-01-2006, 09:35 PM

You guys said it all.

:clap:

Simplex3
05-01-2006, 09:36 PM
I agree with this only to a point. If it were just a story about tragedy I would agree completely. The actions taken by the people aboard that flight deserve to be shown. They were just ordinary people like you and me who decided they did not want to be pawns in the sick game being played, so they took action to thwart the evil plan. As it so happened, they were doomed to succede.

It is a story worth putting on film, IF done properly. And this was done properly.
Yes, but I remember and appreciate that as much today as I did in the days following 9/11 with our without a movie.

Raiderhader
05-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes, but I remember and appreciate that as much today as I did in the days following 9/11 with our without a movie.

And I am not trying to suggest that you don't.

Simplex3
05-01-2006, 09:42 PM
And I am not trying to suggest that you don't.
I know, that wasn't really directed "at" you. I respect where you're coming from, I just know that I'd be messed up if I went to relive it all again.

stevieray
05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
I know, that wasn't really directed "at" you. I respect where you're coming from, I just know that I'd be messed up if I went to relive it all again.

I think about it every time I see a passenger jet in the air.

My wife and I saw the second plane hit on live TV. That moment still angers me.

Nzoner
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM

I recorded the tv movie 9-11 shot by the two French brothers who were at the firehouse just down from the towers.While I haven't rewatched it for sometime,because it's a very difficult watch,I do wish CBS would try and air it on occasion simply because as stated so many people seem to have forgotten.

Chiefs Express
05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0481522/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475276/

I saw Flight 93 on Sunday.

I do not think I'd go to a walk-in to see it.

Simplex3
05-01-2006, 09:51 PM

I was in my first week at a brand new job. Someone came into my office and said a plane just hit the WTC and I replied "what drunk jackass just flew a Cessna into a building." I only wish I'd been right.

The thing that angers me the most to this day is the fact that political correctness has kept us from taking so many obvious steps to keep this from happening again.

Raiderhader
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM

I understand, like I said, it shook me up more than I expected it would. I am not one easily brought to tears, but there were a couple of scenes that had my eyes watering. The film did mess me up a little, but I don't exactly consider it a bad thing.

Of course, I could just be a masochist......

Simplex3
05-01-2006, 10:00 PM

I was in my first week at a brand new job. Someone came into my office and said a plane just hit the WTC and I replied "what drunk jackass just flew a Cessna into a building." I only wish I'd been right.

The thing that angers me the most to this day is the fact that political correctness has kept us from taking so many obvious steps to keep this from happening again.

banyon
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
No.

f*** those motherf***ers

Jenson71
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
I went to it on Saturday.

Throughout, I was thinking of the few, young, imaginative, who think the president was behind September 11. I think those few really need to see it.

The film, has a particular sickening quality, not because of the subject matter, but in the jutting, shaking camera movements. In that sense, it seemed like an ABC Friday Night End of the World Special. However, this did not stop the strong surge of nationalism that swept through me as the credits rolled.

banyon
05-01-2006, 10:20 PM
I went to it on Saturday.

Throughout, I was thinking of the few, young, imaginative, who think the president was behind September 11. I think those few really need to see it.

The film, has a particular sickening quality, not because of the subject matter, but in the jutting, shaking camera movements. In that sense, it seemed like an ABC Friday Night End of the World Special. However, this did not stop the strong surge of nationalism that swept through me as the credits rolled.

a strong surge of nationalism? from a guy with T.R. in his avatar?

:shrug:

Halfcan
05-01-2006, 10:23 PM

**** political correctness. I am sick of it. Today I had to watch a Sexual/Diversity video and take a test. It was retarded.

True or False

You are the boss and you tell your secretary to blow you on her lunch hour or she is fired. Is this Sexual Harrassment, if she wants to do it?

True or False

6 Iranians are at the airport, but the gaurds don't ask them to take their shoes off like the rest of us, because it is Sunday, and it would shame them in the eyes of God. Is it politically correct to kick their asses out of the airport?

True or False

Is it wrong to be disgusted when you are watching the Sopranos and it turns into Brokeback Gangster. A big fat Itallian making out with a scraggly white trash cook? Or is it okay to dislike it as long as you don't talk about it at work and use words like Rump Ranger, gay, homosexual, or pillowbiters?

Frazod
05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Is it wrong to be disgusted when you are watching the Sopranos and it turns into Brokeback Gangster. A big fat Itallian making out with a scraggly white trash cook? Or is it okay to dislike it as long as you don't talk about it at work and use words like Rump Ranger, gay, homosexual, or pillowbiters?

If it's wrong they'll have to put us both away. Christ, ENOUGH ALREADY. :banghead:

Bugeater
05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
I already lived that day once, and I'll never forget it. I can't possibly imagine what watching this film will accomplish.

Halfcan
05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
If it's wrong they'll have to put us both away. Christ, ENOUGH ALREADY. :banghead:

Now a hot sex scene with Meadow Soprano and a stripper at Badda Bing-I am okay with.

dirk digler
05-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I definitely want to go see it because IMHO we all need to be reminded what happened on that day, and that includes me.

As Americans we tend to have short memories, including myself and IMO we need to see the planes crash into WTC and it pisses me off that network or cable TV don't have the balls to replay it.