PDA

View Full Version : OOOPs: Sudan on new US state sponsor terror list

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Incase Radar and HC missed the news today:

Earlier today, HC maintained:

Excellent post!

Iraq & Sudan are dissimilar situations; invading Iraq was WAR. I am not for war on Sudan unless, of course, we find them to be willing harborers of AQ/other terrorist swine. We already know that AQ had a presence in Sudan; we know OBL and Zarqawi (may they both roast in hell) recently mentioned Sudan. The Sudanese government however, has tried very hard to stay out of our crosshairs. If we find them complicit, as we did the Taliban, then we smash them.

Since Sudan does not appear to be willing harborers of terrorist scum, I believe the UNITED NATIONS should be the ones to act in this situation. It is high time they do something (other than waste our time & money). Their inaction in this situation is inexcusable.

But....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4955430.stm

US says Iran top terror sponsor

Iran has made clear its support for suicide bombings in Israel
Iran is "the most active state sponsor of terrorism", according to the US state department's annual report on world terrorism.
It finds that Iran's Revolutionary Guards and intelligence ministry are directly involved in planning and supporting terrorist acts.

There was no immediate response from Tehran which is locked in a row with the US over its nuclear programme.

The report also argues that al-Qaeda had been weakened.

The US report says other state sponsors of terrorism include Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria and Cuba.

Cuba, for example, is accused of harbouring members of Spain's Eta militant group and Colombian leftist rebel groups.

Iraq, the report adds, is "not currently a terrorist safe haven" although Islamist militant groups view it "as a potential safe haven and are attempting to make it a reality".

The international community's actions have degraded the core al-Qaeda leadership group

BBC State Department correspondent Jonathan Beale says that, by highlighting successes in disrupting the al-Qaeda network, the US hopes to convey the message that it is winning the war on terror.

But the dramatic rise in the number of terrorist attacks paints a very different picture, our correspondent adds, even though the US puts that down to a new broader definition of what is a terrorist attack.

Other findings include:

Last year saw 11,000 terror attacks worldwide and 14,600 deaths, 8,300 of them in Iraq

Suicide attacks increased in several countries and caused more than a fifth of all terror deaths worldwide

The number of terror victims in Israel was 50 - half the total calculated by the US for 2004

Safe havens for terrorists include the Afghan border, the Celebes Sea in South-East Asia, Somalia; and the intersection of Argentina, Paraguay and Brazil

'Years of war ahead'

"The international community's actions have degraded the core al-Qaeda leadership group," the report says.

"Its core leadership no longer has global command of its network."

There is evidence, the report continues, that core leaders such as Osama Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri are "somewhat frustrated by their lack of direct control".

However, the report also argues that current terror groups are looser networks and therefore could pose greater danger.

America, it says, is in "the first phase of a potentially long war".

"The enemy's proven ability to adapt means we will go through several more cycles of action/reaction before the war's outcome is no longer in doubt," the US report says.

"It is likely we will have a resilient enemy for years to come."

Ugly Duck
04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Whoa! HC is calling for us to invade Sudan! Heavy Duty!!

Loki
04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
U.N. forced to cut food aid to Sudan (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/04/28/sudan.aid.reut/index.html)

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- The United Nations said on Friday it would cut food rations for more than 6 million people in Sudan, half of them in Darfur, because of a severe lack of funds.

Many donor countries appear to have tired of the long-term conflict in Darfur, despite signs that malnutrition is again on the rise among people living in squalid camps, the United Nations' World Food Program (WFP) said.

WFP said it was halving food aid from the minimum daily requirement of 2,100 calories to 1,050 calories as of May.

"This is one of the hardest decisions I have ever made. Haven't the people of Darfur suffered enough? Aren't we adding insult to injury?" WFP Executive Director James Morris said.

"This is a measure we should simply never have to take," said Morris, who heads the world's largest food aid agency, feeding 90 million people worldwide.

The Rome-based agency had only received $238 million, or 32 percent, of its annual appeal of $746 million for Sudan. Africa's largest country is emerging from civil war in the south as talks continue on a peace deal to end a conflict in Darfur.

Spokeswoman Christiane Berthiaume told a news briefing: "It is scandalous, but we have no choice."

Fighting erupted in Darfur in 2003 when mostly non-Arab tribes took up arms over land and water resources, accusing the government of neglect. Khartoum is accused of arming mainly Arab militia who began a murder, rape, and looting campaign that killed tens of thousands and uprooted more than 2 million -- a catastrophe that has been labeled a genocide targeting the Africans of Darfur by the global community.

"There is probably some donor fatigue. The conflict has been going on a long time. And there is no solution in sight," Berthiaume said.

The United States was the largest donor at $188 million, it said, while Italy was the only major European country to contribute so far ($1.2 million).

"WFP is particularly concerned about the effect of reduced rations in Darfur, where rampant insecurity continues to cause enormous suffering," WFP said in a statement.

The U.N. Children's Fund (UNICEF) has already reported increased malnutrition rates in the region this year.

The WFP said the cuts would allow limited food stocks to last longer into the annual "hunger season", from July to September, when needs are greatest ahead of the harvest.

The WFP estimates that 2,100 calories a day is the minimum daily requirement needed to stay in good health.

naaah. there's no validity to sudan being a state sponsor to
terrorism... or even genocide for that matter... :rolleyes:

memyselfI
04-28-2006, 09:50 PM
naaah. there's no validity to sudan being a state sponsor to
terrorism... or even genocide for that matter... :rolleyes:

Thank you for further proving my point.:clap:

Seems HC was of the belief that Sudan were actually good guys helping out on the WOT and RC didn't realize they had a large Muslim population that could one day be the next Iraq, hence this thread.

Loki
04-28-2006, 09:59 PM

i'm not usually in the habit... so don't get used to it. :p

however, i do believe that the sudanese gov't tried to give slick willie
OBL when they had him in custody did they not? perhaps that's what
HC was thinking about??

personally, i think the UN needs to get a handle the situation, but we all
know that aint going to happen. (considering the state they've left it in
for how many years now??) first they fail to intervene, now they're
cutting food to the starving/misplaced.
wtg UN... you ROCK! :thumb:

Radar Chief
05-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Seems HC was of the belief that Sudan were actually good guys helping out on the WOT and RC didn't realize they had a large Muslim population that could one day be the next Iraq, hence this thread.

Really? Please quote where I’ve posted anything like that.
But beyond that non-existent link, I’d appreciate it if you’d leave me out of your paranoid delusional fantasies.

Cochise
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
If only we had gone into Sudan, taken care of the warlords once and for all, and established a permanent, stable national government like we did in Somalia.

Chief Henry
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
If only we had gone into Sudan, taken care of the warlords once and for all, and established a permanent, stable national government like we did in Somalia.

Sudan, the country that offered up OSAMA on a silver platter to Bill Clinton and he took a PASS. Imagine that :rolleyes:

memyselfI
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Really? Please quote where I’ve posted anything like that.
But beyond that non-existent link, I’d appreciate it if you’d leave me out of your paranoid delusional fantasies.

What, you don't remember the following gems? I really like the one insulting my intelligence. Especially when you DISAPPEARED after the similiarities were pointed out...in full color, no less. ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=139819&page=2&pp=15

:LOL: Right, cause the situations are, like, so similar.

Oh, I see a very common link, your ignorance.
Didn’t even need what you’d call a “fancy edumacation” to figure that one out. ;)

Radar Chief
05-01-2006, 01:59 PM
What, you don't remember the following gems?

I actually remember exactly what I posted, and I’m still wait’n for the quote to my denying that Sudan has a large Muslim population.
A little help for the comprehension impaired, since I’m feel’n charitable today, it isn’t contained in any of what you’ve quoted.

I really like the one insulting my intelligence.

In response to your attempt to insult my intelligence. Why leave out the context Denise? I thought you libs were, like, all ‘bout context / nuance and stuff. ROFL
Here’s how that actually went down.

That is five more congresspeople than have been arrested for protesting the absolutely appalling situation in Iraq. :harumph:

:LOL: Right, cause the situations are, like, so similar.

Uh, if you had passed 6th grade social studies you'd see a very common link in both situations...

Oh, I see a very common link, your ignorance.
Didn’t even need what you’d call a “fancy edumacation” to figure that one out. ;)

Especially when you DISAPPEARED after the similiarities were pointed out...in full color, no less. ROFL

Yea gee, after 4:30 Friday. Why didn’t I just sit here and wait for you to respond? :rolleyes:
And aren’t you, like, the first one to claim that you post on your own schedule not others? Why the sudden change? :shrug:

HC_Chief
05-01-2006, 02:23 PM
I maintain what I said. OBL, as it is widely known, lived in Sudan. He trained in Sudan. For all intents and purposes, was based in Sudan.... <i>in the 90s</i>. He moved to Afghanistan. Set up shop w/ the Taliban. We told the Taliban to cease and desist - to hand over the *****tards responsible for 9/11. They declined, we promptly smashed them.

Sudan has gone to great lengths to distance themselves from OBL. They offered him up to your hero BC at one point... remember that? (probably not, you morons have a very narrow memory).

Sudan has been a festering shithole for many, MANY years. Horrible things occur there. I'm certain terrorists are there. AQ scumbags recently spoke of Sudan. The government has been accused of arming muslim extremists and genocidal bastards in that country for a <i>long</i> time. The UN continues to turn a blind eye. The US has turned a blind eye for far too long. The Sudanese government, however, has tried NOT to step into our crosshairs. That may change; it may not. What remains consistent however, is the fact that everyone knows bad things are happening there. It's time for the UN to step up to the plate (not holding my breath on that one). If the Sudanese government decides to block UN action, or continues to allow GENOCIDE, we Taliban their ass too. We can only do so however, with a clear plan for UN boots on the ground once our military actions are complete. The UN needs to start carrying their share of the load.

HC_Chief
05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Now back to ignore with the "oooooops" terrorist f*cktard :D

Radar Chief
05-01-2006, 02:33 PM
It’s been over 30 minutes Denise, where’d you “disappear” too? ROFL

patteeu
05-01-2006, 02:39 PM

ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
If anything, we should put as great of an effort as possible into restoring law and order into the Sudan. If it means ground troops, then so be it, bombing, then that is acceptable. We can't sit idly by and let a genocide just happen. We've done it far too many times in our history. This is one chance where we can actually stop an atrocity from happening (unlike Iraq), and I think that we should do everything in our power to make sure that it ends ASAHP.

HC_Chief
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
If anything, we should put as great of an effort as possible into restoring law and order into the Sudan. If it means ground troops, then so be it, bombing, then that is acceptable. We can't sit idly by and let a genocide just happen. We've done it far too many times in our history. This is one chance where we can actually stop an atrocity from happening (unlike Iraq), and I think that we should do everything in our power to make sure that it ends ASAHP.

:spock:
You're denying atrocities occurred under Saddam?

go bowe
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
It’s been over 30 minutes Denise, where’d you “disappear” too? ROFLyeah, in full color no less...

i have no idea what meme meant by that, but it just seemed appropriate somehow...

memyselfI
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM

To pick up the kids at school and take the dog to the Vet. Much less time than you did when the similiarities between the two countries was pointed out to you...

Radar Chief
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
yeah, in full color no less...

i have no idea what meme meant by that, but it just seemed appropriate somehow...

:shrug: Got me, but for your viewing pleasure here’s a troop of dance’n bananas.

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

We should see if the mods can just rename the dance’n bananas “Go Bo”. ;)

Chief Henry
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
To pick up the kids at school and take the dog to the Vet. Much less time than you did when a the similiarities between the two countries was pointed out to you...

She got her shots :)

Radar Chief
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
To pick up the kids at school and take the dog to the Vet. Much less time than you did when the similiarities between the two countries was pointed out to you...

Funny how a weekend without a ‘puter does that.

banyon
05-01-2006, 04:20 PM

I agree with this as a moral imperative.

But practically speaking, we have already overextended our military. Doing this would necessitate a draft IMO.

Radar Chief
05-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Ah oh, it’s 4:30, I'm leave'n for the evening and I won’t be back ‘till tomorrow. :eek:
Just let’n Denise know so she doesn’t get all panicky and feel the need to start another topic ‘bout me, and HC. ;)

Cochise
05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
She got her shots :)

ROFL

Anyway, I hope that people talking about Sudan were saying the same about going into Rwanda, which was probably one of the low points of recent human history.

memyselfI
05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Ah oh, it’s 4:30, I'm leave'n for the evening and I won’t be back ‘till tomorrow. :eek:
Just let’n Denise know so she doesn’t get all panicky and feel the need to start another topic ‘bout me, and HC. ;)

It will only happen if you make another ridiculous assertion like the one you made about Iraq and Sudan...

Correction, I assume it's not a matter if but when... :p

HC_Chief
05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
ROFL

Anyway, I hope that people talking about Sudan were saying the same about going into Rwanda, which was probably one of the low points of recent human history.

And Liberia.

Africa, as a whole, is a bloody mess of disease, poverty, starvation, and war.

Duck Dog
05-01-2006, 04:53 PM

I suppose you'll be the first to join and fight, eh?

Chief Henry
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
So the atrocities in Sudan were/are worse than what Saddam was doing in IRAQ.

Would some one draw me a picture of this.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
So the atrocities in Sudan were/are worse than what Saddam was doing in IRAQ.

Would some one draw me a picture of this.

Here's a picture for you:

1,000,000 plus Sudanese murdered and countless other thousands raped. (Since the beginning of the greater conflict in the late 80's. UN Estimates have put the death toll over the current conflict at 180,000 since 2004).

I hate to quote Con Air, but "Would you like me to draw it in crayon?"

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I suppose you'll be the first to join and fight, eh?

I'd definitely be the first to support such a fight that I feel is a far more beneficial use of our military than the current clusterf*ck.

CHIEF4EVER
05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
This is one chance where we can actually stop an atrocity from happening (unlike Iraq).
http://www.hrw.org/editorials/2002/iraq_032202.htm

*Cough *link* Cough*

CHIEF4EVER
05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
:spock:
You're denying atrocities occurred under Saddam?

Yea, he also thinks the Holocaust was a fairy tale. Wait, my bad. Wasn't him. Wrong terrorist sympathizer. Disregard. :evil:

Radar Chief
05-02-2006, 07:44 AM
It will only happen if you make another ridiculous assertion like the one you made about Iraq and Sudan...

Correction, I assume it's not a matter if but when... :p

Interesting to know that I’ve now got my own little stalker, in’a creepy sorta way, but you’ve yet to quote what “ridiculous assertion” I posted. :shrug:
What I did was poke fun at the one desperately try’n to equate a growing democracy (Iraq) to continuing genocide (Sudan) and you’ve apparently made up some conversation with the voices in your head that I said, or even inferred, that Sudan didn’t have a large population of Muslims.
What’s make’n it even creepier is your need to hang onto that unposted inference. :eek:

Chief Henry
05-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Here's a picture for you:

1,000,000 plus Sudanese murdered and countless other thousands raped. (Since the beginning of the greater conflict in the late 80's. UN Estimates have put the death toll over the current conflict at 180,000 since 2004).

I hate to quote Con Air, but "Would you like me to draw it in crayon?"

I prefer green color because thats the color of money.
How many did Saddam kill and rape and brutalize when he and his sons
were in power?

Dave Lane
05-02-2006, 08:29 AM

And Iraq don't forget Iraq well and then of course Afganistan hey we're getting pretty good at this.

Dave

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-02-2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.hrw.org/editorials/2002/iraq_032202.htm

*Cough *link* Cough*

I think you are forgetting who gave him the chemical weapons that he used to gas those Kurds....thus enabling said genocide (which also makes it past tense, and since we lack a flux capacitor, we really can't go back in time and undo that, now can we?)

HC_Chief
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I think you are forgetting who gave him the chemical weapons that he used to gas those Kurds....thus enabling said genocide (which also makes it past tense, and since we lack a flux capacitor, we really can't go back in time and undo that, now can we?)

China?
Russia?

Those are the two countries who provided the most armaments to Saddam's regime.

HC_Chief
05-02-2006, 10:42 AM
OOOPS, the French actually provided more armament than China (the Chinese provided the third-most weaponry).

listopencil
10-26-2006, 01:50 AM
BUMP