PDA

View Full Version : Did I just see that the Texans reached

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
an agreement with Mario Williams? He will be the #1 pick.

blueballs
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
yes
#1 pick
Mario

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Yup. You sure did. It will make the rest of the draft interesting, now. New Orleans folks have to be doing a jig right about now.....I can't see them drafting Bush, but they just got the leverage they needed for a trade.

VonneMarie
04-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Texans | Texans reach agreement with M. Williams
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:16:22 -0700

The NFL Network reports the Houston Texans have reached a contract agreement with North Carolina State DE Mario Williams. He is now expected to be the first pick in the NFL Draft.

blueballs
04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
the Saints want J Walker
Pack have #5

milkman
04-28-2006, 06:47 PM
the Saints want J Walker
Pack have #5

I don't think the Pack need to move up to #2.
They can probably land the guy they are targeting at #5.

I think they will take either AJ Hawk or Vernon Davis.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Houston better be joking about drafting Mario, or Casserly is even dumber than I thought he was.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Houston better be joking about drafting Mario, or Casserly is even dumber than I thought he was.

Agree, this better be a smokescreen of epic proportions, otherwise the Texans have officially become the laughingstock of the NFL.

How stupid can you be...

milkman
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM

Why?

Bush is going to be a great back, but he won't lead them to a SB.

If I was selecting for the Texans, I would be taking Williams, or Ferguson, if I couldn't find a trade down partner.

I heard on ESPN Radio today, no RB taken #1 overall has ever played in the SB for the team that drafted him.

Only one has ever been on a SB team.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Why?

Bush is going to be a great back, but he won't lead them to a SB.

If I was selecting for the Texans, I would be taking Williams, or Ferguson, if I couldn't find a trade down partner.

I heard on ESPN Radio today, no RB taken #1 overall has ever played in the SB for the team that drafted him.

Only one has ever been on a SB team.

How do you know Bush can't lead Houston to a Super Bowl? Do you have a crystal ball?

Bush could help Houston create the new version of The Triplets with Carr, Bush, and Andre Johnson. That kind of triple threat attack could certainly lead them to a Super Bowl someday.

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 07:08 PM
The Texans DID NOT need Bush and if you couldn't see that then you're and idiot. They needed help on the OL and help all around on the defensive side. They already have a running back.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:11 PM
The Texans DID NOT need Bush and if you couldn't see that then you're and idiot. They needed help on the OL and help all around on the defensive side. They already have a running back.

Ever heard the term "best player available"? When you're picking #1 overall you have A LOT of holes, not just one or two. Bush was considered by far the best overall player available by the extreme majority of experts and one of the best prospects of the last twenty years.

htismaqe
04-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Mario vs. Bush is a no-brainer IMO.

A "special" player like Bush can't help you if you can't figure out how to get him on the field.

Williams is the smart pick.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
Ever heard the term "best player available"? When you're picking #1 overall you have A LOT of holes, not just one or two. Bush was considered by far the best overall player available by the extreme majority of experts and one of the best prospects of the last twenty years.

Bush is overrated he's not Gail Sayer or Barry Sanders, and I believe Williams isn't a reach the guy is an amazing athlete also. The Texan's already have a running game, and like you said they have holes to fill and the D-line is one of them

milkman
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
How do you know Bush can't lead Houston to a Super Bowl? Do you have a crystal ball?

Bush could help Houston create the new version of The Triplets with Carr, Bush, and Andre Johnson. That kind of triple threat attack could certainly lead them to a Super Bowl someday.

Poor wording.

The Texans need O-Line help.

The "Triplets" won't have a whole lot of success unless, and until, they fix that.

They also need help on D.

Bush is smallish.
He might not hold up long enough to get the rest of the team fixed.

Dunit35

Yeah I've heard of that. Obviously like you said the team tha has the number one pick has a lot of holes, so you try to fill them through the draft by drafting players that would fill those holes and drafting Reggie Bush meant that they weren't trying to fill those holes.

By drafting Williams over Bush that fills a hole that wouldn't of been filled if they would've drafted Bush.

eazyb81
Bush is overrated he's not Gail Sayer or Barry Sanders, and I believe Williams isn't a reach the guy is an amazing athlete also. The Texan's already have a running game, and like you said they have holes to fill and the D-line is one of them

I think most experts would disagree with your assessment of Bush. How is he not like Sayers and Sanders? Why do you think he is overrated? Like I stated already, he was considered not only the best available prospect by far, but one of the best prospects of the last 20 years.

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Exactly. Drafting Bush would not have filled any of their holes.

the Talking Can
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
in a perfect world they would have traded down with the Jets and had their choice of Ferguson/Williams plus a high 2nd at least....

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Poor wording.

The Texans need O-Line help.

The "Triplets" won't have a whole lot of success unless, and until, they fix that.

They also need help on D.

Bush is smallish.
He might not hold up long enough to get the rest of the team fixed.

Did I imply that ONLY Bush, Carr, and Johnson would take them to the Super Bowl?

Of course they need more help on the Oline and on defense, but you don't pass up a once in a lifetime talent like Bush when you have a chance to grab him.

Barry Sanders was smallish...who cares? If you've seen Bush play enough times in the past two years and seen any of his workouts, you would know the guy is a SPECIAL player, he's not just a good RB.

JBucc
04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm not too suprised they took him but I am suprised they didn't trade down. Guess there were no takers so they just went with the guy they wanted.

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Did I imply that ONLY Bush, Carr, and Johnson would take them to the Super Bowl?

Of course they need more help on the Oline and on defense, but you don't pass up a once in a lifetime talent like Bush when you have a chance to grab him.

Barry Sanders was smallish...who cares? If you've seen Bush play enough times in the past two years and seen any of his workouts, you would know the guy is a SPECIAL player, he's not just a good RB.

I would say that a 6'7 290 lb DE that runs a 4.6 forty would also be considered a SPECIAL player. Williams is considered the best Defensive end since Reggie White.

The Texans did the right thing by drafting Williams.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:29 PM
I would say that a 6'7 290 lb DE that runs a 4.6 forty would also be considered a SPECIAL player. Williams is considered the best Defensive end since Reggie White.

The Texans did the right thing by drafting Williams.

No he's not, he's considered about on par with Julius Peppers. Don't get me wrong, I think Williams could be a great player too, but I just don't think he is the slam dunk, no brainer that Bush is.

Reggie Bush is as explosive a player as you will ever find. Every single time he touches the ball, he is a threat to take it the distance. He is a gamebreaker in every sense of the word and someone you cannot pass on. Players with his ability do not come around very often, and he has a chance to be one of the games greatest talents.

I guess we will see who was right in a few years, but I would hate to be a Texans fan right now.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:30 PM
I think most experts would disagree with your assessment of Bush. How is he not like Sayers and Sanders? Why do you think he is overrated?

The biggest thing is he hasn't played a down in the NFL, and these "experts" are already putting in the same league of NFL hall of famers.

beer bacon
04-28-2006, 07:32 PM
The biggest thing is he hasn't played a down in the NFL, and these "experts" are already putting in the same league of NFL hall of famers.

Now and days you don't even need to start more then a single game in college football to be the future Deon Sanders.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:35 PM

Well, he's certainly proved a lot during his time in college. Obviously he has never played a down in the NFL, but that doesn't mean his game can't compare to former NFL players. His workouts are off the charts and the fact that he won a Heisman while splitting time with another player is downright ridiculous.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
Well, he's certainly proved a lot during his time in college. Obviously he has never played a down in the NFL, but that doesn't mean his game can't compare to former NFL players. His workouts are off the charts and the fact that he won a Heisman while splitting time with another player is downright ridiculous.

Again has he played a down in the NFL ?

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Again has he played a down in the NFL ?

So we should never be able to compare a player's attributes to another former player? No one is saying that he is as good as those players, just that he has a similar playing style. Why would anyone be offended by that?

milkman
04-28-2006, 07:41 PM

Sanders was on the short side, but he wasn't really smallish.

He also never took the Lions to the SB.

I live in California.
I've seen Bush many, many times.
I know he is a special player, but I still don't think he's the right choice for the Texans, at this particular point in time.

I don't believe you build a team around a RB.

It didn't work for the Bills with OJ.
It didn't work for the Lions with Sanders.

I've never, in 40 years of watching football, seen it work.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
So we should never be able to compare a player's attributes to another former player? No one is saying that he is as good as those players, just that he has a similar playing style. Why would anyone be offended by that?

yes the are the best RB in 20 years? The hype is bullshit, lets see if he can do it on the pro level

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Sanders was on the short side, but he wasn't really smallish.

He also never took the Lions to the SB.

I live in California.
I've seen Bush many, many times.
I know he is a special player, but I still don't think he's the right choice for the Texans, at this particular point in time.

I don't believe you build a team around a RB.

It didn't work for the Bills with OJ.
It didn't work for the Lions with Sanders.

I've never, in 40 years of watching football, seen it work.

Who were the Cowboys built around? Who were the Rams built around? Who were the Raiders built around?

I'm not sure how much football you've really watched, many successful teams have been lead by dynamic running backs.

Barry Sanders played at 200 pounds, same as Bush.

chubychecker
04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
They made the right pick. Mario will be an every down player. Bush has always been overrated. He is the football version of Jason Williams for the Heat. He can make spectacular plays but he won't be able to carry the load on a consistent basis. Everyone talks about playing bush in the backfield with another feature back. Too much payroll for one position. Bush also benefited mediawise from playing in USC.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:48 PM

Barry was also 5'8 and built like a FB cutoff at the legs, the guy use to do his leg training with Lions O-line

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Who were the Cowboys built around? Who were the Rams built around? Who were the Raiders built around?

I'm not sure how much football you've really watched, many successful teams have been lead by dynamic running backs.

The Cowboys had an awesome offensive line during their super bowl years.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
Barry was also 5'8 and built like a FB cutoff at the legs, the guy use to do his leg training with Lions O-line

If we're going to keep this up, Bush has better hands than Barry ever had, and most experts agree that he has better hands than any WR in this draft. Bush would be like getting a RB and WR in one, along with potential Pro Bowl return man. Whatcha got?

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:55 PM
If we're going to keep this up, Bush has better hands than Barry ever had, and most experts agree that he has better hands than any WR in this draft. Bush would be like getting a RB and WR in one, along with potential Pro Bowl return man. Whatcha got?

Easy, Barry has accomplished an hall of fame carreer . Reggie Who???

eazyb81
The Cowboys had an awesome offensive line during their super bowl years.

Is there a rule that the Texans can't improve the offensive line in the next couple years if they can't draft Bush?

And the Cowboys improved their line a ton after they drafted Irvin, Aikman, and Smith in successive years.

Dunit35
Bush hasn't even played a down of football so let's not go overboard here on saying he gives people orgasms every time he touches the ball. Who gives a shit what he did in college. NFL is completly different.

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Easy, Barry has accomplished an hall of fame carreer . Reggie Who???

Reggie hasn't had his opportunity yet, so it's not like he has failed in the NFL. That's kind of a weak argument.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Bush hasn't even played a down of football so let's not go overboard here on saying he gives people orgasms every time he touches the ball. Who gives a shit what he did in college. NFL is completly different.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Reggie hasn't had his opportunity yet, so it's not like he has failed in the NFL. That's kind of a weak argument.
It's a perfectly valid agruement, comparing him to Hall of Famers before playing in the NFL??? Not buying that Reggie's god shit

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 08:00 PM

It's not JUST what he did in college...his attributes are ridiculous and his workouts are off the charts. I'm not sure how closely you follow the draft, but he is a consensus pick among the experts as not only the best available prospect but one of the best prospects to come along in years. That may mean nothing to you, but for the people that follow the draft that is a big deal.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 08:01 PM
It's not JUST what he did in college...his attributes are ridiculous and his workouts are off the charts. I'm not sure how closely you follow the draft, but he is a consensus pick among the experts as not only the best available prospect but one of the best prospects to come along in years. That may mean nothing to you, but for the people that follow the draft that is a big deal.

Work outs don't mean a damn thing

eazyb81
04-28-2006, 08:02 PM
It's a perfectly valid agruement, comparing him to Hall of Famers before playing in the NFL??? Not buying that Reggie's god shit

God damn you are dumb as a rock. I'M NOT COMPARING HIM TO FORMER PLAYERS, I'M COMPARING HIS PLAYING STYLE AND ATTRIBUTES TO FORMER PLAYERS. WHY CAN YOU NOT DIFFERENTIATE THE TWO???

Good God, now I remember why I hardly ever come on here anymore.

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 08:05 PM
God damn you are dumb as a rock. I'M NOT COMPARING HIM TO FORMER PLAYERS, I'M COMPARING HIS PLAYING STYLE AND ATTRIBUTES TO FORMER PLAYERS. WHY CAN YOU NOT DIFFERENTIATE THE TWO???

I may not be a very smart person but comparing his playing style and attributes to former players is the same as comparing him to former players, isn't it?

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 08:08 PM

Thanks I'm dumb as a rock!!!!!!!! :thumb: :rockon:

his running style's more like Terry Metcalf, and not like Barry Sanders or Gayle Sayers.

we're going to keep this up, Bush has better hands than Barry ever had, and most experts agree that he has better hands than any WR in this draft. Bush would be like getting a RB and WR in one, along with potential Pro Bowl return man. Whatcha got?http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/clear.gif

What's this indicating that he sells damn good vanilla ice cream

ct
04-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Great move Houston!!

milkman
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM

The Cowboys were built around Aikman.
Marshall Faulk was added to a Rams team that had years of high draft choices.
I'm assuming the Raiders team you are referring to are the 80s team hat included Marcus Allen.
Allen was another added piece to an already solid foundation.

None of those teams were built around the RB, even though those RBs were vital cogs.

OK, I see.
You're going to play this "you don't know football" card, after I treated you with respect in another thread when we disagreed, and have been respectful here.

Well **** you, you little whiney little ****.

milkman
04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
his running style's more like Terry Metcalf, and not like Barry Sanders or Gayle Sayers.

I hate to agree with the little ****, but in this I do agree.

Bush's style is very much like Gale Sayers.

I don't know that he'll ever be the RB that Sayers was, but he looks very much like Sayers with the rock in his hands.

Miles
04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Work outs don't mean a damn thing

I think I follow now. It doesn't matter what a player accomplished in college since they haven't played a down in the NFL and workouts are meaningless. Guess you have some kind of way to look at players without either of those.

chubychecker
04-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Every year there is a player that "won't come around for years" Hell, I've not only heard that about Bush this year, but also Williams and vince young. In fact this morning I heard one "expert" say that passing on vince young would be like passing on MJ. Who knows, besides if the Royals were halfway decent we wouldn't be spending all of this time scrutinizing this anyway.

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I think I follow now. It doesn't matter what a player accomplished in college since they haven't played a down in the NFL and workouts are meaningless. Guess you have some kind of way to look at players without either of those.

Are you also comparing Bush to Hall of Famers? Though he hasn't played a down in the NFL

htismaqe
04-28-2006, 08:45 PM
His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts. His workouts were off the charts.

milkman
04-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I wonder how Bush performed in his workouts?

LiL stumppy
04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Not a bad move.How is Reggie Bush going to run with no OL.Bush can't win every game.Temas are going to find ways to stop him.