PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams agrees to contract with Texans, will go #1 overall...

jAZ
04-28-2006, 06:22 PM
ESPN just reported this "breaking" news. I didn't see a thread, sorry if it's a dupe.

Miles
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Wow, I don't think Texans fans will take this well.

big nasty kcnut
04-28-2006, 06:23 PM
So where does bush goes to. Also young.

banyon
04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
stupid if true

Dave Lane
04-28-2006, 06:25 PM
I think this character thing with his family may have hurt him...

Boy does that move around some picks...

Dave

blueballs
04-28-2006, 06:26 PM
Super Dooper
Mario

Kerberos
04-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Boy does that move around some picks

Dave

In other news "Mel Kipper Jr." is taken to regional medical center for what appears to be a mild stroke or heart attack.

FAX
04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Where did you guys think Mario would go in the draft?

FAX

Dunit35
04-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Good. It means they want to win.

banyon
04-28-2006, 06:30 PM
per espn.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003) front page:

Texans reach contract agreement with WilliamsESPN.com news services

The Texans have told ESPN's Rachel Nichols that they have reached an agreement with Mario Williams, making him the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.

ChiefsCountry
04-28-2006, 06:31 PM

FAX

#2 to New Orleans.

Herzig
04-28-2006, 06:31 PM

FAX

Most of us thought he would go to New Orleans

Starbux37
04-28-2006, 06:32 PM
This draft is going to take on a whole new complexion now. I'm sure the Saints war room telephones are going off the hook now for trades to move up. Question is who is willing to give up the most to the Saints to get Bush if they don't take him for themselves.

This could really be good for the Chiefs, someone is more than likely going to fall to us now.

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Wow.

Yup. It will make the rest of the draft interesting, now. New Orleans folks have to be doing a jig right about now.....I can't see them drafting Bush, but they just got the leverage they needed for a trade.

Herzig
04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
This draft is going to take on a whole new complexion now. I'm sure the Saints war room telephones are going off the hook now for trades to move up. Question is who is willing to give up the most to the Saints to get Bush if they don't take him for themselves.

This could really be good for the Chiefs, someone is more than likely going to fall to us now.

How so? Mario woulda went # 2...they just flip flopped draft order.

cdcox
04-28-2006, 06:37 PM
I called it a few weeks ago in the thread where Bush wanted to wear #5 in the NFL.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3137839&postcount=7

blueballs
04-28-2006, 06:38 PM
the Saints want J Walker
the Pack have #5 pick

Rain Man
04-28-2006, 06:40 PM
So if Bush ends up dropping to the #20 spot...

(I'm kidding, I'm kidding.)

Jim Jones
04-28-2006, 06:40 PM
This is the NFL equivalent of passing on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie.

Hoover
04-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Carl Peterson is stupid for not trading up to the .5 spot so we could have drafter Williams!

Starbux37
04-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Because there are more teams out there who are willing to give up more for Bush then for Mario.

Saints could take Bush, but I think they will go with Ferguson now and they could drop a few and probably still get him, and that will cause a scramble for other teams to go for Bush and then other teams who are going to try to get the QB's who probably wouldn't have until this.

chief4life
04-28-2006, 06:42 PM

saints are not going to draft bush. so he falls from there i dont think he is going to tennessee they have two good rbs. the jets probably wont either they are wanting a qb, so that leads us to greenbay. that is a good possibility. Now people could trade up but I am telling you this now he is not getting drafted to the saints mark it down.

Douche Baggins
04-28-2006, 06:44 PM
The Jets have an aging Curtis Martin at RB and pass on Bush? No way.

SBK
04-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Good move by the Texans. They have a great RB already, now they have a great DE.

I mean seriously, they've got a decent O, the D there sucks nuts.

FAX
04-28-2006, 06:45 PM
How are the Saints fixed at RB? I am ashamed to admit that I know little or nothing about their team needs.

FAX

chief4life
The Jets have an aging Curtis Martin at RB and pass on Bush? No way.

That still is 4 so that could mess this draft up

Douche Baggins
How are the Saints fixed at RB? I am ashamed to admit that I know little or nothing about their team needs.

FAX

They have Deuce McCallister. He's pretty good.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Tennessee doesn't even have one good RB...henry and brown aren't sh*t.

The fact of the matter is that if Houston's fb people were really smart, they would have traded down to 4 and taken tha' brick. They need to try and save Carr's life. Davis is a serviceable enough back, and with what Houston would get for moving down, they'd be able to pick up probably a 2nd and a 5th rounder to try and draft some more O-line and defense. If this is true this is a stupid, stupid move. Taking Bush was a Sonny Corleone move, trading down to take tha Brick and get extra picks is a Michael Corleone move, and drafting Mario Williams at #1 is a Fredo Corleone move.

Crush
04-28-2006, 06:46 PM
... and then there was chaos in the world.

chief4life
04-28-2006, 06:49 PM

The fact of the matter is that if Houston's fb people were really smart, they would have traded down to 4 and taken tha' brick. They need to try and save Carr's life. Davis is a serviceable enough back, and with what Houston would get for moving down, they'd be able to pick up probably a 2nd and a 5th rounder to try and draft some more O-line and defense. If this is true this is a stupid, stupid move. Taking Bush was a Sonny Corleone move, trading down to take tha Brick and get extra picks is a Michael Corleone move, and drafting Mario Williams at #1 is a Fredo Corleone move.

Tennesee will not draft bush they are going QB mark it down.

Cochise
04-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Wow, this is unexpected, but Williams' stock is sky high right now. Plus, you know that Houston had to be trying to reach an agreement with Bush but he proved cost-prohibitive to a team with so many holes.

If Williams is as good as his pre-draft hype, a la the comparisons to Reggie White, I can see the Texans making this move.

People have questions about Bush. It's been said he doesn't have the strength to carry the ball 20 times at the next level, and the Texans already have a pretty good running back in Davis.

I'm not as shocked as most people. Bush isn't a sure thing at the pro level.

Starbux37
04-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Tennesee will not draft bush they are going QB mark it down.

I have to agree with you on that. The situation with McNair is to unstable at this point. I think QB is the choice for them as well.

FAX

Right. I forgot about him, Mr. GoChiefs.

Thanks.

FAX

KevB
I think the Jets will do everything in their power to get Bush. The New York teams will always look to make a big splash, and Bush fills a need. I'd be very surprised if they don't trade up to #2 to get Bush. The Saints can fall back to 4 and take Brick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Wow, this is unexpected, but Williams' stock is sky high right now. Plus, you know that Houston had to be trying to reach an agreement with Bush but he proved cost-prohibitive to a team with so many holes.

If Williams is as good as his pre-draft hype, a la the comparisons to Reggie White, I can see the Texans making this move.

People have questions about Bush. It's been said he doesn't have the strength to carry the ball 20 times at the next level, and the Texans already have a pretty good running back in Davis.

I'm not as shocked as most people.

Even if the Texans don't want Bush and don't want to pay for him, they have to either trade down, or draft him and then trade him to a team that is willing to pay through the nose for him (a la the Giants-Chargers trade). Williams is benefitting from the Bush backlash, he's good, but he's not going to be Reggie White.

SBK
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I think the Jets will do everything in their power to get Bush. The New York teams will always look to make a big splash, and Bush fills a need. I'd be very surprised if they don't trade up to #2 to get Bush. The Saints can fall back to 4 and take Brick.

Don't rule out Vern Davis though. Brees and Gates were a pretty good combo, they might look for a monster for Brees to throw to in NO as well....

htismaqe
04-28-2006, 06:54 PM
saints are not going to draft bush. so he falls from there i dont think he is going to tennessee they have two good rbs. the jets probably wont either they are wanting a qb, so that leads us to greenbay. that is a good possibility. Now people could trade up but I am telling you this now he is not getting drafted to the saints mark it down.

I was listening to a Jets guy last night say that he couldn't see the Jets taking a QB. They don't like Young for what they plan to do on offense and they apparently feel that Leinert is too much like Pennington.

The Jets are now on the Bush train, bank on it.

Starbux37
04-28-2006, 06:55 PM

Bush would fit in with the Jets, all that NY hype and endorsement money will help. But I still think they are crazy if they don't take a QB. Pennington has way to many ? marks to be reliable.

Cochise
04-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I was listening to a Jets guy last night say that he couldn't see the Jets taking a QB. They don't like Young for what they plan to do on offense and they apparently feel that Leinert is too much like Pennington.

I could buy that, but with the seller's market that New Orleans has, they can auction off Bush to whomever wants to move up and get him. I am no draft guru, but I can't imagine he won't go in the #2 spot, whatever team that ends up being.

Starbux37
04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
The Saints are sitting good right now. They could come out of this draft with extra picks this year and next and still get the guy they want.

Wish the Chiefs were so lucky to be in this situation.

nychief
04-28-2006, 07:01 PM
the texans are idiots.

Herzig
04-28-2006, 07:03 PM

You may be right...I think they are the only team with 2 #1 picks(#4 and #29 overall). Maybe they package both to move up and take Bush.

JBucc
04-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Unexpected buy I kinda like it

Wa-Z
04-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Wow, can't wait to watch the draft now...anyone know what time it starts...?

1adam1238
04-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow, can't wait to watch the draft now...anyone know what time it starts...?

Noon eastern....11 yours.....9 mine

Wa-Z
04-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Noon eastern....11 yours.....9 mine

Cool! Thanks.

the Talking Can
04-28-2006, 07:14 PM
damn

agree with the Bush-to-Jets scenario...but there might be a team willing to leap frog the Jets for that pick..will be interesting...

chop
04-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Bush would fit in with the Jets, all that NY hype and endorsement money will help. But I still think they are crazy if they don't take a QB. Pennington has way to many ? marks to be reliable.

That is why they traded for Ramsey.

the Talking Can
04-28-2006, 07:25 PM
after the Pennington debacle, the Jets are better off drafting Bush and then looking for a Vet/backup QB next year...a la Green/Hassleback/Plummber (lol) etc...grooming a rookie QB is great but not neccessary..

chop
04-28-2006, 07:27 PM

He is coming off a season ending injury.

alpha_omega
04-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Very interesting...i guess i didn't know they could actually sign the player before they pick.

ChiefsCountry
04-28-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm glad the Texans made a smart pick. Good for them.

rad
04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
You may be right...I think they are the only team with 2 #1 picks(#4 and #29 overall). Maybe they package both to move up and take Bush.

The 49ers have 2 first-rounders also.

Bush could stay in Cali and help out young Alex Smith....

Tribal Warfare
04-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Wow, can't wait to watch the draft now...anyone know what time it starts...? '

11 AM as always

ct
04-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Great move by Houston, much bigger need.

I don't see much difference really. New Orleans will gladly select Bush. Deuce is very injury prone anyway, so it's still a good move for them.

I do see Houston possibly making a move back into the 1st round now. They own the top pick in the 2nd round, and the top2 picks in the 3rd.

tk13
04-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Pretty surprising. I haven't watched NC State play much... so I'll defer to our experts, is this guy the real deal? I mean, is he really a better pick than Bush? That's really hard to believe. I wonder what caused this... signability has never been a real issue in football before.

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Here I go, dropping names again, but a very good friend of mine in LA (he sold my house to me) is best friends from college with the D-Coordinator at NC State. They all seem to think this guy is going to be a super stud. Maybe not Reggie White or Bruce Smith, but more like a Neil Smith type player (somewhere around 130 sacks for a career). If that's the case, I'd definitely go with him over Bush. Bush just has too many question marks and I've seen him firsthand.

I think it really shakes up the draft though, and Houston may get a 1st round quality running back with the first pick of the second round (Williams or Maroney). It should be a very interesting draft.

KCChiefsFan88
04-28-2006, 08:36 PM
If Denver some how ends up with Reggie Bush I am going to throw up

FAX
04-28-2006, 08:40 PM
If Denver some how ends up with Reggie Bush I am going to throw up

God. Don't even think it, Mr. KCChiefsfan88.

Is there some way to put a reverse hex on a post?

FAX

TEX
04-28-2006, 09:03 PM

They're not. Some fools are already organizing a "fan strike" and they're supposed to show up at Reliant Stadium tomorrow to voice their outrage. It's pretty UGLY in Houston at the moment. No "favorite son" Vince Young, no Reggie Bush etc... It's kind of like when the Portland Trail Blazers picked 2nd in the NBA draft and were assured of either Hakeem Olajuwon or Michael Jordan, but they chose Sam Bowie instead... Charlie Casserly (sp?) is saying it's his pick and he's responsible. Well, it really doesn't matter cause everyone knows Dan Reeves is waiting in the wings and Charlie is alrerady sooooooo gone he's simply a scapegoat.

Funny thing is since they announced it on 610AM, the TEXANS know all about the "strike" and will see to it that any damaging signage will be removed from the stadium grounds and the draft party.

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:11 PM
As long as he stays out of the AFC West and away from the fuking Redskins, I really don't care who he plays for.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Bush is over-rated. This is the right choice.

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Bush is over-rated. This is the right choice.

Just like Courtney Brown?

ROFL

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:30 PM

FAX

Number 1 overall.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:32 PM

Only if Bush has a creative offensive coordinator...because that's a bunch of jack tied up in a guy that only will carry the ball 10-15 times a game. The DE is thewise choice for the Texans.

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Only if Bush has a creative offensive coordinator...because that's a bunch of jack tied up in a guy that only will carry the ball 10-15 times a game. The DE is thewise choice for the Texans.

you are crazy if you think he is only going to get 15 touches...

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:38 PM
the texans are idiots.

LOL...I guess they like the guy from Durham better.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
you are crazy if you think he is only going to get 15 touches...

Why would he be able to when he couldn't in college? Further more...in the biggest game of his life...why was he sitting on the bench? He's a great talent, but he's not worth the money. I also said carries...you said touches...which would imply recpetions...which is why I stipulated a creative OC.

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Why would he be able to when he couldn't in college? Further more...in the biggest game of his life...why was he sitting on the bench? He's a great talent, but he's not worth the money.

he was sharing the backfield with White. And, if he is getting paid big bucks, then it would stand to reason that he would be asked to carry the load. Williams is a great pick, BUT not the pick. Bush is going to light up the league. Houston is a joke.

TEX
04-28-2006, 09:46 PM

Now you might be right but part of the reason for the outrage is that ever since Vince Young announced that he was turning pro, the TEXANS have been spinning everything Reggie's way. Folks here were just getting convinced that Bush was the right choice. I'm betting that the Williams pick came down to $$$ meaning he was going to be easier to sign so the TEXANS went that route.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
he was sharing the backfield with White. And, if he is getting paid big bucks, then it would stand to reason that he would be asked to carry the load. Williams is a great pick, BUT not the pick. Bush is going to light up the league. Houston is a joke.

He's not going to light up the league. That's crazy talk when you consider which awful team he's going to play against. If he was good enough to carry the ball every down he would have. Like I said...to use him properly you're going to have to line him up wide and throw the ball down field to him....if he gets open. These aren't 18-19 year olds he's playing in the frickin PAC-10. 24 million in signing bonus is a bunch of jack to have tied up in a running back. Plus they already have a good back in Davis...making Williams or Brickshaw the better choices.

Tell ya what...turn in you ESPN card...they've sold you a bum bag of goods.

TEX
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM

You're exactly right here. I have no problem with Willimas at all, but at #1, I sure would if I were a TEXAN fan.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Now you might be right but part of the reason for the outrage is that ever since Vince Young announced that he was turning pro, the TEXANS have been spinning everything Reggie's way. Folks here were just getting convinced that Bush was the right choice. I'm betting that the Williams pick came down to $$$ meaning he was going to be easier to sign so the TEXANS went that route.Of course it came down to the money. Were the Texans selling the public Bush...or was ESPN and the media? Because every report I've read has said that they hardly even met with Bush and met with Williams to talk contract first.

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:54 PM
He's not going to light up the league. That's crazy talk when you consider which awful team he's going to play against. If he was good enough to carry the ball every down he would have. Like I said...to use him properly you're going to have to line him up wide and throw the ball down field to him....if he gets open. These aren't 18-19 year olds he's playing in the frickin PAC-10. 24 million in signing bonus is a bunch of jack to have tied up in a running back. Plus they already have a good back in Davis...making Williams or Brickshaw the better choices.

Oh, so Reggie Bush wasn't good enough to get more carries in college? Okay. I get it. Color me dumb. See I was under the impression he was playing on a loaded college team, a team he also returned kicks and punts for... but it turns out he was just not very good. Okay. Got it. Let me just... mark that down... and... done. I feel better now.
See I tend to think that Bush can carry the load in the pros. Is he going to lead the league in yardage his rookie year? No, probably not. But he will electrify. I understand that as a Texans fan, one might be in a world of shock right now - the first stage is denial, the second is booing the GM, the third is going 3-13 again. But, what do I know.

chubychecker
04-28-2006, 09:54 PM
I will never understand why everyone is no infatuated with Bush. I think much of the bush appeal has been built up by the media. In the nfl; it is hard for me to see him as much more than a change of pace back. Best case scenerio; he is warrick dunn. If he wasn't in SoCal it would be different.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Just like Courtney Brown?

ROFL

As a Chief Fan I wouldn't expect you to understand the importance of a defensive line anymore. Which is exactly why it will dumb if you guys draft a corner first tomorrow when you sorely need DT's and DE's. Based on the recent history of you poor pass defense which is a function of a poor pass rush...I wouldn't expect you to understand why Williams is the better pick.

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Come on man, you know me... I only get my news from BLOGS!!!

nychief
04-28-2006, 09:59 PM
You are kinda dumb...I didn't want to say anything.

Zinger. Well said. Honestly, good job.

I am going to go watch more ESPN, I like how they lie to me about Reggie Bush's worth.

Hydrae
04-28-2006, 10:00 PM

As someone who grew up following the Blazers, 4321

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Zinger. Well said. Honestly, good job.

I am going to go watch more ESPN, I like how they lie to me about Reggie Bush's worth.

I apologize...it was rude.

TEX
04-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Of course it came down to the money. Were the Texans selling the public Bush...or was ESPN and the media? Because every report I've read has said that they hardly even met with Bush and met with Williams to talk contract first.

Yes. They were selling Reggie's talents to the city shortly after the Rose Bowl. They spent the better part of the past couple of months touting him hoping to ease the "pain" of not drafting Vince Young. When they extended Carr's option in MArch, the talk really heated up. But, the funny thing is they were very quiet the past couple of weeks. Then 2 days ago was the first anyone in Houston ever heard that Williams might indeed be the #1 pick. I'm telling ya, it's pretty U-G-L-Y in this city right now.

I think the city could have forgiven the TEXANS for not drafting Young if they drafted Bush. Now, to not get either one, especially after Bush was highly touted, does not sit well. It all means that now the careers of all 3 will be watched very closely by TEXAN fans.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes. They were selling Reggie's talents to the city shortly after the Rose Bowl. They spent the better part of the past couple of months touting him hoping to ease the "pain" of not drafting Vince Young. When they extended Carr's option in MArch, the talk really heated up. But, the funny thing is they were very quiet the past couple of weeks. Then 2 days ago was the first anyone in Houston ever heard that Williams might indeed be the #1 pick. I'm telling ya, it's pretty U-G-L-Y in this city right now.

I think the city could have forgiven the TEXANS for not drafting Young if they drafted Bush. Now, to not get either one, especially after Bush was highly touted, does not sit well. It all means that now the careers of all 3 will be watched very closely by TEXAN fans.

I don't understand. The Houston Texans were telling people who they were going to draft? If that is the case...something had to cause that. Probably like you said. Too much money.

I think the folks down there are going to be real happy after next season with a year under Kubes. So they don't need to worry.

58-4ever
04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I will never understand why everyone is no infatuated with Bush. I think much of the bush appeal has been built up by the media. In the nfl; it is hard for me to see him as much more than a change of pace back. Best case scenerio; he is warrick dunn. If he wasn't in SoCal it would be different.

Your and idiot. Reggie Bush is going to be a great pro. Mark it down. But, I also happen to think Mario Williams is going to be a great pro and is probably a better fit for the Texans. An every down player is what you should get at #1, which Bush could be, but has not proven to be.

TEX
04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't understand. The team was ..The Houston Texans were telling people who they were going todraft? If that the case...something had to cause that. Probably like you said. Too much money.

I think the folks down there are going to be real happy after next season with a year under Kubes.

Well when the TEXANS hired Gary Kubiak, Charlie Casserly went out of his way to make sure that everyone knew that Kubiak was "returning home" and that Vince Young wasn't the "only good QB to have played HS ball in Houston." Casserly also went out of his way to say things like Reggie Bush was an exceptional athlete who could really help the TEXANS right now as opposed to waiting to develop another young QB. So, the TEXANS never actually guaranteed they would draft Bush, they (Casserly) just said stuff all the time like he's really going to help them. The more the media pushed Vince Young for all the obvious PR advantages, the more TEXANS brass (Casserly and to some extent Kubes) touted the talents of Reggie Bush. The way ot all played out, I really don't think Williams was thier 1st choice, but rather their easiest choice to sign. Casserly is on his way out anyway, so it really doesn't matter if he takes responsibility for the move cause he won't be around to pay for it.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Well when the TEXANS hired Gary Kubiak, Charlie Casserly went out of his way to make sure that everyone knew that Kubiak was "returning home" and that Vince Young wasn't the "only good QB to have played HS ball in Houston." Casserly also went out of his way to say things like Reggie Bush was an exceptional athlete who could really help the TEXANS right now as opposed to waiting to develop another young QB. So, the TEXANS never actually guaranteed they would draft Bush, they (Casserly) just said stuff all the time like he's really going to help them. The more the media pushed Vince Young for all the obvious PR advantages, the more TEXANS brass (Casserly and to some extent Kubes) touted the talents of Reggie Bush. The way ot all played out, I really don't think Williams was thier 1st choice, but rather their easiest choice to sign. Casserly is on his way out anyway, so it really doesn't matter if he takes responsibility for the move cause he won't be around to pay for it.

I did hear the report that Casserly would be removed and probaly get a league office job.

greg63
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
ESPN just reported this "breaking" news. I didn't see a thread, sorry if it's a dupe.

That blows what I heard about Bush out of the water.

58-4ever
04-28-2006, 10:54 PM
I never pass on Bush.

TEX
04-28-2006, 10:56 PM
I did hear the report that Casserly would be removed and probaly get a league office job.

Yep. He's going to be made the scapegoat here in Houston. But in all honesty, he has really $UCKED A$$ as the GM. He has gotten hardly no production past round 1 of the draft. Last year not one offseason move worked,and it's down right criminal that David Carr still has total $HIT for an offensive line. Only Matt Millen has done a worse job the past few years.

Garcia Bronco
04-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Yep. He's going to be made the scapegoat here in Houston. But in all honesty, he has really $UCKED A$$ as the GM. He has gotten hardly no production past round 1 of the draft. Last year not one offseason move worked,and it's down right criminal that David Carr still has total $HIT for an offensive line. Only Matt Millen has done a worse job the past few years.

That's why I thought they would take the tackle.

TEX
04-28-2006, 11:06 PM
That's why I thought they would take the tackle.

That would make more sense than Williams IMO. However, I still wouldn't like it as the # 1 pick in the entire draft. I know they tried to trade down, but there weren't any takers. Wonder if that would have held up through tomorrow? Now we'll never know. Again, another bone head move. :shake:

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:10 PM
This is the NFL equivalent of passing on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie.If Bowie hadn't had such shitty luck with his health...

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:11 PM

The fact of the matter is that if Houston's fb people were really smart, they would have traded down to 4 and taken tha' brick. They need to try and save Carr's life. Davis is a serviceable enough back, and with what Houston would get for moving down, they'd be able to pick up probably a 2nd and a 5th rounder to try and draft some more O-line and defense. If this is true this is a stupid, stupid move. Taking Bush was a Sonny Corleone move, trading down to take tha Brick and get extra picks is a Michael Corleone move, and drafting Mario Williams at #1 is a Fredo Corleone move.Agreed.

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Tennesee will not draft bush they are going QB mark it down.And if Floyd Reese gets his way, it'll be Young.

tk13
04-28-2006, 11:15 PM
If Bowie hadn't had such shitty luck with his health...
Well on top of that, at least Portland had Clyde Drexler... not MJ but a great, great player at the position. Dominick Davis is an okay RB but he's not the basketball equivalent of Clyde Drexler.

chubychecker
04-28-2006, 11:26 PM
but bush is not the equivalent of MJ either. Give me a break.

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Well on top of that, at least Portland had Clyde Drexler... not MJ but a great, great player at the position. Dominick Davis is an okay RB but he's not the basketball equivalent of Clyde Drexler.Domanick "the--wait, what rhymes with Domanick?

Mr. Kotter
04-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Domanick "the--wait, what rhymes with Domanick?

Flick-a-bic?

Ultra Peanut
04-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Is Domanick gonna have to choke a bitch?

SNR
04-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Does this screw up the QB situation in the draft? Is it possible Cutler could fall to us?

Cochise
04-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Does this screw up the QB situation in the draft? Is it possible Cutler could fall to us?

I think there are too many QB-poor teams ahead of us.

chubychecker
04-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Too early to tell but probably not; looks like picks no 1 and 2 are just going to switch hands.

whtgldwldr
04-29-2006, 12:08 AM
I personally believe that Mario Williams has an amazing chance at becoming a perennial all-pro for the texans...a better chance than Reggie Bush.

HE's not all hype...he has alot of talent, but i havent seen anything to prove that he can carry the load in the NFL. If he couldnt carry the load in the NCAA, how in the hell is he going to carry a team against paid professionals? It doesnt click in my mind, I could be horribly...horribly wrong, time will tell.

But for my money, I'd rather have Williams...especially if I'm the texans. I like Domanick Davis.

As far as who will draft Bush. I dont think NO can, when they need something to compliment Drew Brees. Titans have a shot at it, but they NEED to draft a QB, because McNair is gone either this year or the next, I think Vince Young would fit them the best...The jets could use a running back, but i wouldnt want to spent countless millions of dollars for a third-down back who will sit on the bench for Curtis Martin. Its more likely they'll get Ferguson, or a quarterback...

So, who the hell knows where bush is going. Someone will trade up for him because of the hype, but i dont know who. But I think the texans are doing the right thing here, no matter how stupid it may seem.

Mr. Kotter
04-29-2006, 12:10 AM

MN takes Cutler ahead of us, if he's still on the board.

Miles
04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Too early to tell but probably not; looks like picks no 1 and 2 are just going to switch hands.

Mario is already signed.

beer bacon
04-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Drafting Mario is better for winning football games, but not drafting Bush could get Houston burnt to the ground. If Houston drafts a good tackle and interior O-linemen with their 2nd and third round pick they could be much better next season.

They already have a good running back, but it doesn't matter how good the back is if he can't take two steps with the ball without getting smothered by defenders. Bush probably would have put up pretty mediocre stats behind that line. Even if he did put up good stats, does anyone remember Tomlinson in 2002-2003? He was one of the top three backs both those seasons, but the team was still horrible.

Houston is already pretty decent at the offensive skill positions with Davis, Carr, and Johnson. An O-line that can actually block and a defense that can actually stop somebody will do much more towards making Houston into a competitive team then Bush would have.

Jim Jones
04-29-2006, 12:25 AM
HE's not all hype...he has alot of talent, but i havent seen anything to prove that he can carry the load in the NFL. If he couldnt carry the load in the NCAA, how in the hell is he going to carry a team against paid professionals? It doesnt click in my mind, I could be horribly...horribly wrong, time will tell.

Who ever said he CAN'T?

He just didn't because when you have two elite RB's, especially ones who combined give you an amazing speed/power tandem, it makes sense to play both, doesn't it?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Drafting Mario is better for winning football games, but not drafting Bush could get Houston burnt to the ground. If Houston drafts a good tackle and interior O-linemen with their 2nd and third round pick they could be much better next season.

They already have a good running back, but it doesn't matter how good the back is if he can't take two steps with the ball without getting smothered by defenders. Bush probably would have put up pretty mediocre stats behind that line. Even if he did put up good stats, does anyone remember Tomlinson in 2002-2003? He was one of the top three backs both those seasons, but the team was still horrible.

Houston is already pretty decent at the offensive skill positions with Davis, Carr, and Johnson. An O-line that can actually block and a defense that can actually stop somebody will do much more towards making Houston into a competitive team then Bush would have.

I refer to my prior statement. Williams has been hyped up just as much as Bush the last two weeks. He may be a consistent 10 sack guy in the league, but he's not going to be a franchise left tackle, like tha' brick, and he's not going to get you some more draft picks, like dropping down to 4 and picking tha' brick would have. This is the worst kind of football move, it's cheap and stupid all the while thinking that it's actually smart. If you wanted to really be clever you should have traded down and takent the guy who can actually save the ass of your 'franchise' qb.

chubychecker
04-29-2006, 12:31 AM
I refer to my prior statement. Williams has been hyped up just as much as Bush the last two weeks. He may be a consistent 10 sack guy in the league, but he's not going to be a franchise left tackle, like tha' brick, and he's not going to get you some more draft picks, like dropping down to 4 and picking tha' brick would have. This is the worst kind of football move, it's cheap and stupid all the while thinking that it's actually smart. If you wanted to really be clever you should have traded down and takent the guy who can actually save the ass of your 'franchise' qb.

Can't disagree with you there. Oline is still unerrated. brick is an all pro two years from now and will be for another ten years. He could be the cornerstone to a program.

beer bacon
04-29-2006, 12:32 AM

I see Mario more as a Richard Seymour then anything else. He may not be posting 15+ sacks every season, but he will always be a good pass rush threat against any team because of his combination of size and speed. He is also big and versatile enough to move in and play DT in the 4-3 or DE in the 3-4. He is the type of player you can build a defense around.

Also, while I don't think taking Mario is a bad decision, I definately think taking Brick would have made a ton of sense as well. While Brick isn't an extraordinary run blocker, he is a superb pass blocker and may have actually allowed Carr to actually hold the ball for longer then 1.5 seconds every once in a while. Mario is on a level all his own this draft as far as DEs go, but I think the calibur of OTs that will be left at 42 is much higher then the DEs that will still be around.

My point is that if they focus on the O-line for the rest of the fist day, they can still do a lot towards having an actual NFL calibur O-line, while still having Mario to build their defense around.

tk13
04-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Harsh.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/3828722.html

Miles
04-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Harsh.

I was wondering when the reaction from the Chronicle would make it out tonight. Its going to definitly be a rough public relations situation for the team.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Bush is a ridiculous athlete, but I can't say he's the ONLY person they should consider. I really like the idea of trading down for D'Brickashaw, in all honesty.

Picking Williams at #1 seems like a bad move in comparison, though.

beer bacon
04-29-2006, 03:19 AM
So is Houston mad that McNair didn't make the Carl Peterson move and decid that asses in the seats are more important then Ws in the left column?

If Houston fans/media are really putting that much stock in a player that is "exciting" and "interesting to watch" then they should have just traded their #1 pick for Michael Vick. I am sure he would put plenty of asses in the seats. There isn't an exact parallel between Vick and Bush, because Bush on a team like the Panthers or Broncos would be a gigantic boost capable of making them Super Bowl worthy, and Vick is still more of a side show.

With that said, it still seems pretty evident that if you would have put Bush on Houston's team from last season, they still would have been a five win or less team. For every big run he would have broken off because of his great moves and speed, he would have got hammered multiple times behind LoS due to horrible blocking. Carr would have still been getting hammered two seconds after the handoff, and the defense still would have horrible.

For all anyone in the NFL knows, if Houston tried to lean on him like the Chargers did on LT from 2001-2003, the poor guy might have just broken under a gigantic load he was not used to carrying. Even if he did still manage to shine through, it wouldn't have really mattered if the rest of the team around him was still being dominated.

Douche Baggins
04-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Even if he did still manage to shine through, it wouldn't have really mattered if the rest of the team around him was still being dominated.

And Mario Williams changes this...how? He'll just be double-teamed.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2006, 03:23 AM
For all anyone in the NFL knows, if Houston tried to lean on him like the Chargers did on LT from 2001-2003, the poor guy might have just broken under a gigantic load he was not used to carrying.I don't think that would have happened, though. They would have still had Davis to relieve some of the load, unless they were total morons who expected someone who had less than ten (maybe less than five, IIRC*) 20-carry games in three seasons in college to be able to carry an NFL load right off the bat.

If Bush is expected to be a workhorse, it could be bad for all involved. If he gets a chance to be a playmaker and pick his spots, so to speak, he could be amazing.

* I remember comparing him to DeAngelo during an argument about "true" running backs once, and being stunned that DeAngelo had more 30-carry games than Bush did 20-carry games. Part of that is that Bush had a star-studded supporting cast, of course, but still, he hasn't had to carry that sort of load just yet.

beer bacon
04-29-2006, 03:30 AM
And Mario Williams changes this...how? He'll just be double-teamed.

Dominick Davis is already a good RB that would be even better behind a good O-line. Along with Davis, Houston already has two other high calibur players on offense in Carr and Andre Johnson. On the other hand, they don't really have anyone on defense other then Robinson. There DEs are just plain bad.

Don't get me wrong, unless Houston can take both of their lines from really bad to above average between now and the regular season they will be a below average team. In the long term, I think infusions of talent in the D-line and O-line will help a lot more then replacing one good back that underperforms because of horrible blocking with an even better back that will underperform because of horrible blocking.

Even if drafted Bush with the 1st pick, and then got two good O-linemen in 2nd and 3rd that both contributed right away and made them O-line at least average this year, they would still be in bad shape. At the best they could hope to be the DV era Chiefs with that strategy.

Miles
04-29-2006, 03:31 AM
I don't think that would have happened, though. They would have still had Davis to relieve some of the load, unless they were total morons who expected someone who had less than ten (maybe less than five, IIRC*) 20-carry games in three seasons in college to be able to carry an NFL load right off the bat.

If Bush is expected to be a workhorse, it could be bad for all involved. If he gets a chance to be a playmaker and pick his spots, so to speak, he could be amazing.

* I remember comparing him to DeAngelo during an argument about "true" running backs once, and being stunned that DeAngelo had more 30-carry games than Bush did 20-carry games. Part of that is that Bush had a star-studded supporting cast, of course, but still, he hasn't had to carry that sort of load just yet.

Yep the Houston situation with Davis would have been ideal easing him into more carries. I think the whole he can't carry the ball 20+ times is more to do with what he was used to rather than his size.

Still the RB approach seams to be shifting back towards the larger backs with S Jax, Mcgahee, LJ and maybe some are forgeting it doesnt take that huge size to carry the ball as a feature back.

beer bacon
04-29-2006, 03:32 AM
I don't think that would have happened, though. They would have still had Davis to relieve some of the load, unless they were total morons who expected someone who had less than ten (maybe less than five, IIRC*) 20-carry games in three seasons in college to be able to carry an NFL load right off the bat.

I don't hate Bush or anything. I think he is great, and not drafting him could still easily blow up in Houston's face if Mario turns into the next Courtney Brown. I just think that drafting Mario over Bush isn't as horrible as some people make it out to be.

I do think that if they trade back up into the late first to draft another running back that their entire front office should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Kerberos
04-29-2006, 04:26 AM
I apologize...it was rude.

Good thing we don't expect much more from a donk fan!

J/K

:D

the Talking Can
04-29-2006, 04:38 AM
Harsh.

"Let's be clear: Bypassing Bush smacks of stupidity"

ROFL fun article...

"Once the Texans are finished explaining their decision today, they can release one other bit of information: the phone number that fans can call to cancel season tickets."

SCTrojan
04-29-2006, 06:43 AM
I normally stay out of threads about USC players because of my obvious bias. But the simple reason that Reggie Bush did not get 20 + carries regularly was that USC didn't need him to do that to win football games. When you have Leinart handing off to White, throwing to Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith and Dominique Byrd, you don't need one guy to carry the load to be effective. The last three seasons bear that philosophy out.

As for the Texans move of drafting Mario Williams ahead of Reggie or Vince Young, for that matter, I think it's a big gamble at best. You can count on one hand the number of defensive ends that have changed the fortunes of a franchise. There are many more RBs and QBs who have done that.

The draft is what it is - the hope that the potential you see translates to actual production on the field for a prolonged period of time. I've never seen Williams play, but I think Houston could have traded down and still picked him. IMO, the bottom line is the only way this works out for them is if Williams is a Reggie White-like transcendent player and Reggie Bush and Vince Young turn out to be only so-so players. That's an awful big risk to take with the first pick no matter what their motivation for taking it.

CupidStunt
04-29-2006, 06:47 AM
Kudos to Houston for having the balls to ignore public and fan opinion and doing what they think is the smart thing.

As Spielman said, you pay the people in your building to make decisions, not the fans and the public and the media.

Garcia Bronco
04-29-2006, 07:52 AM
I normally stay out of threads about USC players because of my obvious bias. But the simple reason that Reggie Bush did not get 20 + carries regularly was that USC didn't need him to do that to win football games. When you have Leinart handing off to White, throwing to Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith and Dominique Byrd, you don't need one guy to carry the load to be effective. The last three seasons bear that philosophy out.

As for the Texans move of drafting Mario Williams ahead of Reggie or Vince Young, for that matter, I think it's a big gamble at best. You can count on one hand the number of defensive ends that have changed the fortunes of a franchise. There are many more RBs and QBs who have done that.

The draft is what it is - the hope that the potential you see translates to actual production on the field for a prolonged period of time. I've never seen Williams play, but I think Houston could have traded down and still picked him. IMO, the bottom line is the only way this works out for them is if Williams is a Reggie White-like transcendent player and Reggie Bush and Vince Young turn out to be only so-so players. That's an awful big risk to take with the first pick no matter what their motivation for taking it.

Mike Williams hasn't played on the team in almost 3 years. The big gamble would have been to spend that much on an unproven RB that doesn't carry the ball more than 15 times a game against college/highschool talent. Reggie Bush is going to be a great player, and so is MArio Williams. Bottom line....Reggie Bush isn't going to stop Peyton Manning.....he doesn't even have a chance...Mario Williams does.

nychief
04-29-2006, 07:59 AM
okay, I've slept on this is and.... the texans have still made a mistake.

FAX
04-29-2006, 08:00 AM
I had hoped that Reggie Bush would run in fast circles around Manning, Mr. Garcia Bronco. Like the Flash used to do in order to cause a whirlwind effect.

This would disorient Manning and make little balloon question marks pop out of his head.

FAX

Garcia Bronco
04-29-2006, 08:12 AM
I had hoped that Reggie Bush would run in fast circles around Manning, Mr. Garcia Bronco. Like the Flash used to do in order to cause a whirlwind effect.

This would disorient Manning and make little balloon question marks pop out of his head.

FAX

LOL...yes and cause a tornado that snatches Harrison from his route.

TEX
04-29-2006, 08:42 AM
okay, I've slept on this is and.... the texans have still made a mistake.

At this moment, many are outside Reliant Stadium showing thier outrage. I just drove past the stadium on my way to Starbucks and it wasn't pretty.

FAX
04-29-2006, 08:43 AM
At this moment, many are outside Reliant Stadium showing thier outrage. I just drove past the stadium on my way to Starbucks and it wasn't pretty.

Seriously, Mr. TEX?

FAX

oldandslow
04-29-2006, 08:45 AM
The Texans are idiots, plain and simple....

If you don't want R.Bush you trade out of the pick and take the OL that will save Carr's life...

M. Williams was up and down at NC State. He may become Neil Smith. But you sure as hell don't trade Neil Smith for Gale Sayers. EVER!!!

nychief
04-29-2006, 08:46 AM

If you don't want R.Bush you trade out of the pick and take the OL that will save Carr's life...

M. Williams was up and down at NC State. He may become Neil Smith. But you sure as hell don't trade Neil Smith for Gale Sayers. EVER!!!

Why didn't they trade out?

TEX
04-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Seriously, Mr. TEX?

FAX

Yep. The draft party starts at 10:00AM and they're not letting anyone in with ANTI-TEXAN signs, so they're all standing around on Kirby Drive across the street. The news crews are there as well so I wouldn't be too shocked if the rest of the country sees this at some point. The crowd isn't out of control or anything, but some ruined thier jersey's by painting a red circle with a line through it in protest. If I had to guess at the numbers, I'd say about 75-100 or so people and Starbuck's is BOOMING because of it.

The best sign I saw read as follows:

"No Bush, No Young, the TEXANS are F*CKING DUMB! " ROFL

FAX
04-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Yep. The draft party starts at 10:00AM and they're not letting anyone in with ANTI-TEXAN signs, so they're all standing around on Kirby Drive across the street. The news crews are there as well so I wouldn't be too shocked if the rest of the country sees this at some point. The crowd isn't out of control or anything, but some ruined thier jersey's by painting a red circle with a line through it in protest. If I had to guess at the numbers, I'd say about 75-100 or so people and Starbuck's is BOOMING because of it.

Unbelievable. Well, I'm glad that the Texas fans are so involved with their team. I think this is amazing, really.

Protesting a draft pick. God.

FAX

nychief
04-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Protest a war? NEVER. Protest a pituitary case becoming a millionarie? ALWAYS.

TEX
04-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Unbelievable. Well, I'm glad that the Texas fans are so involved with their team. I think this is amazing, really.

FAX

Me too, but you have to remember that Vince Young played HS ball about 5 miles from Reliant Stadium and wone a HS State Championship there and then went on to UT and did what he did there. The city had finally been sold on Bush and had come to grips with the fact that the TEXANS wold not be drafting thier favorite son, so not getting either one of them is not sitting too well with some.

Brock
04-29-2006, 09:19 AM

They could have drafted D'Brick number one and they would have been right to do it.

TEX
04-29-2006, 09:21 AM
They could have drafted D'Brick number one and they would have been right to do it.

Makes more sense since Carr has been playing behind CRAP from day 1. Still, they could have traded down to get him IMO.

FAX
04-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Great points. Williams does nothing to alleviate the Texan's problem with Carr's throwing motion.

The one where he pitches it toward the sideline as his a$$ is handed to him, I mean.

FAX