PDA

View Full Version : Carl shows he can always blow a 2nd rounder

Logical
04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Meet Bernard Pollard

When we could have had Ashton Youboty, Darnell Bing, Richard Marshall as well as some others.:banghead:

JBucc
04-29-2006, 06:45 PM
there really needs to be a suicide emoticon

Dunit35
04-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Darnell Bing was still available. Carl you're and idiot. Herm better see something in this guy.

banyon
04-29-2006, 06:48 PM

I like this one a lot.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/phpbb/images/smiles/07-microwave.gif

KCChiefsFan88
04-29-2006, 06:54 PM
MORON

http://www.cheddarheads.co.uk/nfle/nfle98/p13.jpg

HolmeZz
04-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Some of you should wait to see how Pollard actually plays before declaring him a bust.

shakesthecat
04-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Meet Bernard Pollard

When we could have had Ashton Youboty, Darnell Bing, Richard Marshall as well as some others.:banghead:

Have you ever seen Pollard play?

banyon
04-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Some of you should wait to see how Pollard actually plays before declaring him a bust.

Nah, I didn't wait on Siavii.

I'm cool with blasting the pick now.

wazu
04-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Whitlock put it best when he wrote that on draft day Carl Peterson dances like nobody's watching.

I wonder if anybody in the Chiefs war room ever just goes ballistic and starts screaming, "OH COME ON THIS IS F#CKING INSANELY STUPID!!!!!"

KCChiefsFan88
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Whitlock put it best when he wrote that on draft day Carl Peterson dances like nobody's watching.

I wonder if anybody in the Chiefs war room ever just goes ballistic and starts screaming, "OH COME ON THIS IS F#CKING INSANELY STUPID!!!!!"

Carl makes sure that won't happen by surrounding himself with yes-men puppets.

HolmeZz
Nah, I didn't wait on Siavii.

I'm cool with blasting the pick now.

I mean having haven't seen him in college and continuing to call him a bust.

keg in kc
What's a draft without a total WTF?! pick.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-29-2006, 07:01 PM
"Carl shows he can always blow a 2nd rounder "

Geez, this thread is just fine without pictures. I know a lot is required to get picks to sign, but some negotiation tactics I don't want to know about. Plus, I thought this was why we had cheerleaders.

jspchief
04-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Some of you should wait to see how Pollard actually plays before declaring him a bust.I'm not calling him a bust, but I am calling the pick a reach.

We take 3rd+ round guys every fricking year in the 2nd round.

stevieray
04-29-2006, 07:02 PM
He got booed at his introduction at the draft party.

He kind of chuckeld and said to Herm.."They are already booing and we haven't even picked yet"

SNR
04-29-2006, 07:03 PM
All the reports seems to me like he's the safety-version of William Bartee Jr.

Logical
04-29-2006, 07:04 PM
"Carl shows he can always blow a 2nd rounder "

Geez, this thread is just fine without pictures. I know a lot is required to get picks to sign, but some negotiation tactics I don't want to know about. Plus, I thought this was why we had cheerleaders.Our cheerleaders are so ugly the players prefer Carl.

Tribal Warfare
04-29-2006, 07:05 PM

I second that maybe a hang-man smile

jspchief
04-29-2006, 07:07 PM
All the reports seems to me like he's the safety-version of William Bartee Jr.4 picks in something like 20 games.

IMO, he's the polar opposite of the type of safety we needed. We needed a rangy ballhawk that would always have to be accounted for downfield, instead we got a thumper LB in a safety's body. Not neccessarily a bad type of safety, just not what we needed IMO.

Ari Chi3fs
04-29-2006, 07:08 PM
We should always trade our 2nd round pick for something each year. Maybe we can trade our 2007, 2008, and 2009 2nd rounder for someones 5th this year. We do good in the 5th for some reason. heh.

Ari Chi3fs
04-29-2006, 07:11 PM
At least last year we got Surtain out of our 2nd rounder.

DJohnson 1st
PSurtain 2nd

Last year, I didnt want to Carls head on a platter as much as I do this year.

Logical
04-29-2006, 07:22 PM
4 picks in something like 20 games.

IMO, he's the polar opposite of the type of safety we needed. We needed a rangy ballhawk that would always have to be accounted for downfield, instead we got a thumper LB in a safety's body. Not neccessarily a bad type of safety, just not what we needed IMO.

Excellent analysis of the reasons for not making this pick.

Logical
04-29-2006, 07:23 PM
At least last year we got Surtain out of our 2nd rounder.

DJohnson 1st
PSurtain 2nd

Last year, I didnt want to Carls head on a platter as much as I do this year.

I agree how sweet would it be right now if we had Walker for our 2nd instead of the Broncos getting him for one of their 2nds?

chefsos
04-29-2006, 07:25 PM
A question from a football idiot: Are we gonna have to wait 'til the preseason games to see what this guy can do? I'm going under the assumption that you don't want a rookie, who's apparently a big hitter, blowing up his teammates in camp.

beer bacon
04-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Even if he plays well he still won't cure a weakness on our defense.

Gonzo
04-29-2006, 07:31 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again........
Here you go carl you sonbitch:

keg in kc
04-29-2006, 07:36 PM
I agree how sweet would it be right now if we had Walker for our 2nd instead of the Broncos getting him for one of their 2nds?I'm not sure I'd think it all that sweet, considering Walker's had just one good season of play and appears to have attitude problems, not to mention the fact that he's coming off a major knee injury.

listopencil
04-29-2006, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure I'd think it all that sweet, considering Walker's had just one good season of play and appears to have attitude problems, not to mention the fact that he's coming off a major knee injury.

That's OK we needed him to run slower anyway. So Plummer could get the ball to him, remember? It's all good.

keg in kc
04-29-2006, 08:48 PM
That's OK we needed him to run slower anyway. So Plummer could get the ball to him, remember? It's all good.You'll need him to be at 100% so he can jump high enough to get in the same area code as the passes.

listopencil
04-29-2006, 08:49 PM
You'll need him to be at 100% so he can jump high enough to get in the same area code as the passes.

We drafted a tall guy for that.

htismaqe
04-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Darnell Bing was still available. Carl you're and idiot. Herm better see something in this guy.

Bing is STILL available. Obviously, there's 31 other idiots besides the Chiefs.

Coach
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Bing is STILL available. Obviously, there's 31 other idiots besides the Chiefs.

Wow, I'm still suprised Bing is still on. I wonder what he did to drop this far.

PastorMikH
04-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Just got home myself and am scratching my head on that pick. We have Safteys, we need a starting CB. This guy doesn't look like he has the speed to play CB though it wouldn't have surprise me if they try to make him a CB anyway.

Not too sure about the 3rd round QB, his stats look good, though I don't know anything about him.

htismaqe
04-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Just got home myself and am scratching my head on that pick. We have Safteys, we need a starting CB. This guy doesn't look like he has the speed to play CB though it wouldn't have surprise me if they try to make him a CB anyway.

Not too sure about the 3rd round QB, his stats look good, though I don't know anything about him.

I've been saying for the weeks leading up to the draft (hell, I've been harping since about 2001) that the need at safety was bad and people weren't seeing it.

Obviously, Herm and his staff see what some of us here are seeing.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2006, 09:57 PM
I think this is a solid pick for depth. At any time one of our starters could go down and we have Bartee and nothing backing up.

Brock
04-29-2006, 09:58 PM

We have safeties? Who?

kc hopeful
04-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Herm better see something in this guy.

Living in TX I settled for listening to Dallas Cowboy radio draft coverage. They were shocked when KC choose Pollard. They said KC must not have done their homework. Dallas had the guy basically off limits. Problems with authority figures, apparently spent ample time in Tiller's dog house. Didn't think he would be a good locker room presence.

I have to assume Herm and Gunn think they can handle the "tude"?

MahiMike
I know, right? At least the 1st and 3rd picks are rock on!

banyon
I've been saying for the weeks leading up to the draft (hell, I've been harping since about 2001) that the need at safety was bad and people weren't seeing it.

For the rest of this year, I'm afraid we'll be saying the need at corner is not just bad, but appalling. I don't think we have anybody on our roster that would make another team's #2 starting CB.

milkman
04-29-2006, 10:04 PM

I agree with you, but I would've liked the pick better if it were a FS.

I don't see Pollard as a FS.

htismaqe
04-29-2006, 10:11 PM
For the rest of this year, I'm afraid we'll be saying the need at corner is not just bad, but appalling. I don't think we have anybody on our roster that would make another team's #2 starting CB.

Our CB's would have been alot better last year if we had 2 real NFL safeties.

htismaqe
04-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with you, but I would've liked the pick better if it were a FS.

I don't see Pollard as a FS.

I would at all be surprised to see this guy moved to WSLB.

BigChiefFan
04-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Why did we sign Sammy Knight just last year and then turn around and do this? Typical Carl Peterson head scratcher. Make a ****ing decision on who your starter is going to be then move on to the next position that needs an upgrade. Youboty AND Richard Marshall were available. Nothing like spending a 2nd rounder on DEPTH.

milkman
04-29-2006, 10:16 PM

I don't know.
I think, after seeing Hermie talking about him, that he has visions of John Lynch in Pollard.
I think the kid is going to be good.
He's just not likely to start this year.

I'll really like the pick if we do somehow land Simpson.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't know.
I think, after seeing Hermie talking about him, that he has visions of John Lynch in Pollard.
I think the kid is going to be good.
He's just not likely to start this year.

I'll really like the pick if we do somehow land Simpson.

Pollard will push Wesley if nothing else.

BigChiefFan
04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Pollard will push Wesley if nothing else.All indications are Pollard is a SS. Which is why I'm perplexed at the pick.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2006, 10:25 PM
All indications are Pollard is a SS. Which is why I'm perplexed at the pick.

Eh, I think the safety positions are interchangeable. Lynch played alot of free safety in Denver this year.

milkman
04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Pollard will push Wesley if nothing else.

Pollard is a big, strong hard hitter, who doesn't have the speed you hope for in a FS.
His strength is in run support.
His weakness, pass coverage.

He's a SS, and I hope he isn't looked at at FS.

milkman
04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Eh, I think the safety positions are interchangeable. Lynch played alot of free safety in Denver this year.

Not if you're a liabilty in coverage.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Not if you're a liabilty in coverage.

We don't really have ANY safeties that can cover.

BigChiefFan
04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Eh, I think the safety positions are interchangeable. Lynch played alot of free safety in Denver this year.Our new 2nd rounder is way too slow to be a FS.

milkman
04-29-2006, 10:34 PM
We don't really have ANY safeties that can cover.

I am aware of that, which is the primary reason this pick doesn't thrill me.

NaptownChief
04-29-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm sure it has probably already been mentioned but this is a kid who was a trouble child up at Purdue. Had problems with the coaching staff. With Youbouty, Hagan and even more importantly Eric Winston available this is a piss poor pick IMHO. But if you are a Chiefs fan you are use to that. I do like Tamba, I think we got a steal with him but really effed up our bargain with this pick. I'm sure I'm a dumb effer to doubt such a pick because I am questioning a GM who hasn't won a playoff game in 13 years. :rolleyes:

tk13
04-29-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm sure it has probably already been mentioned but this is a kid who was a trouble child up at Purdue. Had problems with the coaching staff. With Youbouty, Hagan and even more importantly Eric Winston available this is a piss poor pick IMHO. But if you are a Chiefs fan you are use to that. I do like Tamba, I think we got a steal with him but really effed up our bargain with this pick. I'm sure I'm a dumb effer to doubt such a pick because I am questioning a GM who hasn't won a playoff game in 13 years. :rolleyes:
I think this pick was all Herm.

Logical
04-29-2006, 10:55 PM
htismaqe][/b]
I would at all be surprised to see this guy moved to WSLB. At only 225 I would be suprised, I suppose it is possible he could bulk up.

milkman
04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
At only 225 I would be suprised, I suppose it is possible he could bulk up.

Huh?

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2006, 10:57 PM
At only 225 I would be suprised, I suppose it is possible he could bulk up.

ROFL

Yo! Can I get some 250-lb safeties up in hea?

Logical
04-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Huh?Sorry for the confusion I meant to quote Parker.

Originally Posted by htismaqe

Logical
04-29-2006, 11:01 PM
ROFL

Yo! Can I get some 250-lb safeties up in hea?Sorry for the confusion I meant to quote Parker.
Originally Posted by htismaqe

the Talking Can
04-29-2006, 11:08 PM

no, you're just gay for using a smiley to deflect criticism...if you want to cry about a pick just cry...

NaptownChief
04-29-2006, 11:17 PM
no, you're just gay for using a smiley to deflect criticism...if you want to cry about a pick just cry...

I will bitch about a pick if I want and I will tell a worthless prick like you to kiss my ass...If I want to use a smiley I will use a smiley and there is nothing a worthless liberal like yourself can do about it...go hug a tree Can...something you are good at.

Rain Man
04-29-2006, 11:24 PM
This is not the pick I wanted to see. I agree with htismaqe, though, that this guy could conceivably be projected as a weakside linebacker. I'm sick of drafting guys who aren't a fit for their position, though.

NaptownChief
04-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Pollard is a pretty good player and not a horrible pick in the 2nd round based on talent alone but from some of the folks I know associated with the Purdue program he is less than a quality person off the field. But I don't think we care much about that stuff..nearly half our team was on the police blotter last year.

shaneo69
04-29-2006, 11:33 PM
I was hoping that if we went for a safety there that we'd take Ko Simpson.

philfree
04-29-2006, 11:34 PM

According to the draft servicre I subscribe to Pollard is good candidate to play LB is a Cover-2. That makes me feel a little better about the pick. The guy's a thumper and interestingly enough he's aabout the same size as Thomas Davis who we were gonna draft last year except he was gone and DJ was there. As far as assessing him as areach or whatever the players in this draft went all over the place. We'ver gained some attitude and toughness with our first two picks of the 2006 draft.

PhilFree:arrow:

bringbackmarty
04-29-2006, 11:34 PM
opening day 2007 starting safeties
Pollard
Wesley

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2006, 12:13 AM
I like this pick. IMO, he was one of the 2-3 best safties in the draft. Then again, I'm not an "expert."

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 12:16 AM
I like this pick. IMO, he was one of the 2-3 best safties in the draft. Then again, I'm not an "expert."

Talent wise I don't disagree...But I think Derrick Hagan was one of the 2-3 best WR's in the draft and feel like WR was a much bigger need than safety...

You agree with that or no?

Pitt Gorilla
04-30-2006, 12:18 AM
I don't know what we're going to do at WR. Kennison and Parker are the starters. I would assume that Thorpe is the 3rd receiver, although Hall might also play some there. Other than that, I honestly don't know.

HolmeZz
04-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Derek Hagan's terrible. :-[

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I don't know what we're going to do at WR. Kennison and Parker are the starters. I would assume that Thorpe is the 3rd receiver, although Hall might also play some there. Other than that, I honestly don't know.

I hope Parker finds some stickum for his hands and I do have some hope that Thorpe could become a player but we have been gambling on stuff like that for too many years and leaving Green hamstrung with half ass talent to toss the ball. I wish we would give the position a serious address for a change. I think because our line has been so good and our running game has carried us it has created a level of arrogance that we can make anything work outside. Which has been somewhat true but wish we would put some high quality talent out there for a change.

Mosbonian
04-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Living in TX I settled for listening to Dallas Cowboy radio draft coverage. They were shocked when KC choose Pollard. They said KC must not have done their homework. Dallas had the guy basically off limits. Problems with authority figures, apparently spent ample time in Tiller's dog house. Didn't think he would be a good locker room presence.

I have to assume Herm and Gunn think they can handle the "tude"?

Sorry.....I don't want to appear to be an old-timer laughing about what a n00b posts.....

Having the Dallas Cowboys draft coverage guys acting shocked about how they see him off limits because he has problems with authority figures is hypocritical.....anyone remember the signing of Terrell Owens?

mmaddog

ChiefsFanatic
04-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Meet Bernard Pollard

Well, I am sure that Carl probably thinks he can convert him to CB.

Carl said that he was the leading tackler on the Purdue team. Isn't that like being the Math Team Captain at CMSU? It doesn't mean a damn thing.

Messier
04-30-2006, 12:31 AM
I think this was a Herm Edwards pick.

Mosbonian
04-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I hope Parker finds some stickum for his hands and I do have some hope that Thorpe could become a player but we have been gambling on stuff like that for too many years and leaving Green hamstrung with half ass talent to toss the ball. I wish we would give the position a serious address for a change. I think because our line has been so good and our running game has carried us it has created a level of arrogance that we can make anything work outside. Which has been somewhat true but wish we would put some high quality talent out there for a change.

I'll cop to being oblivious to how to answer these....

1) Are we sure that Carl isn't hoping that there might be someone to pick up with experience after June 1 to fill the WR spot that everyone wants us to pick up in te draft?

2)Also....other than Braylon Edwards who was impressive till he got hurt, what WR that was drafted last year made an impact on his team?

m:mad:dog

Mosbonian
04-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Well, I am sure that Carl probably thinks he can convert him to CB.

Carl said that he was the leading tackler on the Purdue team. Isn't that like being the Math Team Captain at CMSU? It doesn't mean a damn thing.

How about we hope that he turns out like one of the early guys who we got from Purdue that went on to wear the Red & Gold?

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 12:38 AM
I'll cop to being oblivious to how to answer these....

1) Are we sure that Carl isn't hoping that there might be someone to pick up with experience after June 1 to fill the WR spot that everyone wants us to pick up in te draft?

2)Also....other than Braylon Edwards who was impressive till he got hurt, what WR that was drafted last year made an impact on his team?

Counting on a gift falling from the sky certainly is the best description of what Carl has done to plan for the WR postion the last several years.

As for inital impact, you are correct that few WR's provide that in their first year but I hope Carl is building a team that is going to play more than just the 2006 season.

Coach
04-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Well, if Carl can show that he blows a 2nd rounder, when was the last time the Donks had a decent 2nd rounder?

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Well, if Carl can show that he blows a 2nd rounder, when was the last time the Donks had a decent 2nd rounder?

Portis was pretty nice...Wasn't Darrent Williams a 2nd rounder last year?

Mosbonian
04-30-2006, 12:44 AM
Counting on a gift falling from the sky certainly is the best description of what Carl has done to plan for the WR postion the last several years.

As for inital impact, you are correct that few WR's provide that in their first year but I hope Carl is building a team that is going to play more than just the 2006 season.

Sorry...Free Agency has really taken away the impact of the draft when it comes to building a team for more than just one season when it comes to RB's, QB's and WR's. I see the draft as a place where you build OL's and for the defense...

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Portis was pretty nice...Wasn't Darrent Williams a 2nd rounder last year?

Other than the fact that williams sucks, you got half that post right. Portis was the first pick of the 2nd round IIRC. I still don't understand why they chose this guy when they could have had Marshall, Youboty, Bing, or Simpson. It just baffles me. Furthermore, he's not an athlete like Thomas Davis was. Let's say he plays in our 4-3...he's our slowest LB, slower than DJ and Kawika, so it's not like we're talking about an animal here. A hitter? yes, but I'd much rather have someone who has the speed to run with the receivers or cover Gates, and that is something we could have had with Youboty, Marshall, Simpson or Bing.

Moooo
04-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I was under the impression this guy was drafted for special teams. I hear he has a hard-hitting mentality, which would fit right in. Knda high up to be going for special teams, but if he can make a difference on our punt and kick returns, I'm all for it.

He seems to be made out of the same mold as Sammy, with them both being slower safties who can knock the crap out of you. Maybe they got him cause they won't have to change the plays based on whether or not he's in for Knight? And if it is a Herm pick. I won't question it. If he knows anything its a good DB when he sees it.

And even though I wanted them to get Ashton Youboty, we shouldn't kid ourselves to think he would have been starting this year. I think the only way our DB problem will be alleviated for next season is through free agency.

Moooo

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Sorry...Free Agency has really taken away the impact of the draft when it comes to building a team for more than just one season when it comes to RB's, QB's and WR's. I see the draft as a place where you build OL's and for the defense...

You do realize that KC built the best O-line in the league by drafting one of the current starters and picking the rest up via trade or free agency, right??

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Hypothetically, let's say that we paid 1.75 million for a nickel corner or a guy to cover Gates when we play SD in Walls which is :banghead: in itself. Who do we then plan on picking up through FA?? Once Law extorts his way to the contract he wants, who do we pick once we're out of his price range?

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Other than the fact that williams sucks, you got half that post right. .

Well he was good enough to start for a playoff caliber team as a rookie...if that constitues sucking then I wish we would participate in said sucking as we have 1st and 2nd rounders who struggle to sniff the field on non-playoff squads.

Mosbonian
04-30-2006, 12:53 AM
You do realize that KC built the best O-line in the league by drafting one of the current starters and picking the rest up via trade or free agency, right??

Very much aware of that.....but KC has always been the team that drafted and built an Offensive line through the draft except for the past 3 or 4 seasons.. I still have hope that Jordan Black and Will Svitek will become like the OL studs we have now and we can once again point to our ability to draft a damn good OL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Well he was good enough to start for a playoff caliber team as a rookie...if that constitues sucking then I wish we would participate in said sucking as we have 1st and 2nd rounders who struggle to sniff the field on non-playoff squads.

He was also the worst player on the field when he did start :spock:

craneref
04-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Wasn't Steve Atwater receiveing the same kind of press, huge hitter, great in run support, but suspect in coverage when he came out. I personally like this pick. Not only does Pollard bring a big stick to the party, he wraps up and makes the tackle because if the safety is making the tackle, then he better make it or you have Tiki Barber Highlights on ESPN. A lot of us questioned the Wesley pick for the ame reasons a couple of years ago, and he ended up pretty good in coverage. I am going to give Edwards the benefit of the doubt here and be catiously optimistic with this pick. GO CHIEFS.

ChiefsFanatic
04-30-2006, 04:18 AM
How about we hope that he turns out like one of the early guys who we got from Purdue that went on to wear the Red & Gold?

The Chiefs did not get Len Dawson from Purdue. He did go to college there, though.

Rausch
04-30-2006, 04:20 AM
The Chiefs did not get Len Dawson from Purdue. He did go to college there, though.

Nope.

Same place we got Kimble Anders.

He's still pissed about that, BTW... :)

ChiefsFanatic
04-30-2006, 04:29 AM
Nope.

Same place we got Kimble Anders.

He's still pissed about that, BTW... :)

Kimble's daughter is on my niece's AAU BB team. It is so wierd sitting down, having a regular conversation with him, while on the inside I just wanna tell him he is one of my top 5 favorite Chiefs ever.

Rausch
04-30-2006, 04:36 AM
Kimble's daughter is on my niece's AAU BB team. It is so wierd sitting down, having a regular conversation with him, while on the inside I just wanna tell him he is one of my top 5 favorite Chiefs ever.

Ask him if he's still pissed Pittsburgh dissed him.

Oh, and tell him I know that tubby white boy from Jefferson City... :evil:

buddha
04-30-2006, 10:00 AM
http://boilerstation.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060430/SPORTS020101/604300351/1122/BOILER

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Other than the fact that williams sucks, you got half that post right. Portis was the first pick of the 2nd round IIRC. I still don't understand why they chose this guy when they could have had Marshall, Youboty, Bing, or Simpson. It just baffles me. Furthermore, he's not an athlete like Thomas Davis was. Let's say he plays in our 4-3...he's our slowest LB, slower than DJ and Kawika, so it's not like we're talking about an animal here. A hitter? yes, but I'd much rather have someone who has the speed to run with the receivers or cover Gates, and that is something we could have had with Youboty, Marshall, Simpson or Bing.

ROFL

We could STILL have Simpson or Bing. The rest of the NFL must be run by morons.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Talent wise I don't disagree...But I think Derrick Hagan was one of the 2-3 best WR's in the draft and feel like WR was a much bigger need than safety...

You agree with that or no?

I don't agree. I really don't see a need at WR at all.

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't agree. I really don't see a need at WR at all.

Well being that we only have one proven NFL WR and he is getting long in the tooth I think it might be wise to toss a little more talent into the WR pool to increase your odds of having some others work out. I think Parker and Thorpe both have a chance of being solid to good NFL receivers but at this point they have proven zilch and if we are banking on that our foundation is shaky at best.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Well being that we only have one proven NFL WR and he is getting long in the tooth I think it might be wise to toss a little more talent into the WR pool to increase your odds of having some others work out. I think Parker and Thorpe both have a chance of being solid to good NFL receivers but at this point they have proven zilch and if we are banking on that our foundation is shaky at best.

#1 offense in the NFL every year since Willie Roaf arrived. That's all I need to know.

If our foundation is shaky, we best be draft a LT of the future, not WR.

milkman
04-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Wasn't Steve Atwater receiveing the same kind of press, huge hitter, great in run support, but suspect in coverage when he came out. I personally like this pick. Not only does Pollard bring a big stick to the party, he wraps up and makes the tackle because if the safety is making the tackle, then he better make it or you have Tiki Barber Highlights on ESPN. A lot of us questioned the Wesley pick for the ame reasons a couple of years ago, and he ended up pretty good in coverage. I am going to give Edwards the benefit of the doubt here and be catiously optimistic with this pick. GO CHIEFS.

Wesley isn't good in coverage.
He's almost always out of position.

He's a lucky SOB, though.

He happens to be in the wrong place at the right time quite a bit.

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2006, 10:42 AM
No wide receiver we drafted this year would be better than Samie Parker.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:45 AM

except for the fact that you were saying that we need a FREE safety ... not a strong safety.

sammy knight is a strong safety
greg wesley is a strong safety

we don't have a decent free safety on the roster

buddha
04-30-2006, 10:47 AM
No wide receiver we drafted this year would be better than Samie Parker.

Perhaps not at this point, but the guys at the top of the draft are already better than Parker.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
we took pollard with these guys still on the board

richard marshall CB
dustry dvorchek DT
darryl Tapp DE
ashton youboty CB
eric winston OT
claude wroten DT
Gabe Watson DT

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
we took pollard with these guys still on the board

richard marshall CB
dustry dvorchek DT
darryl Tapp DE
ashton youboty CB
eric winston OT
claude wroten DT
Gabe Watson DT

Watson and Wroten? Give me a break. If anything we passed them up for Croyle, not Pollard.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
except for the fact that you were saying that we need a FREE safety ... not a strong safety.

sammy knight is a strong safety
greg wesley is a strong safety

we don't have a decent free safety on the roster

Sammy Knight is OLD.

Coach
04-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Sammy Knight is OLD.

And I made a post somewhere on this board that "I wonder if Pollard is a potentional replacement for Knight? :shrug:"

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Watson and Wroten? Give me a break. If anything we passed them up for Croyle, not Pollard.
richard marshall CB
dustry dvorchek DT
darryl Tapp DE
ashton youboty CB
eric winston OT

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Perhaps not at this point, but the guys at the top of the draft are already better than Parker.

None of those guys will outperform Parker this year.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 11:10 AM
richard marshall CB
dustry dvorchek DT
darryl Tapp DE
ashton youboty CB
eric winston OT

don't think we need another young backup CB
don't think we need another young backup DT
just drafted a DE in the 1st round
only one I would have picked

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM
don't think we need another young backup DT
just drafted a DE in the 1st round
only one I would have picked

think you wrong

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 11:21 AM
think you wrong

Care to explain or is this just part of the typical post-draft whining?

ck_IN
04-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Just when I thought DV's magical mystery drafts were over.

As strong saftey's go he was probably the best pick at the time, although I think he'd have been there later. I'm puzzled though because we need a free safety. This only makes sense if they're thinking Bartee is history and Knight only has a year or so left.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Care to explain or is this just part of the typical post-draft whining?

or your post draft dumbassery?

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 12:08 PM
or your post draft dumbassery?

If this is dumbassery, so be it.

It's damn FUN.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Just when I thought DV's magical mystery drafts were over.

As strong saftey's go he was probably the best pick at the time, although I think he'd have been there later. I'm puzzled though because we need a free safety. This only makes sense if they're thinking Bartee is history and Knight only has a year or so left.

BINGO!

Thanks Chuck, you caused me to go out to NFLPA and look it up.

Knight, Sammy
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

S (#29)
Year: 0

Kansas City Chiefs
Round: 0

Overland Park, KS
Position: 0

Salary History

2005 665000.00
2006 835000.00
2007 2000000.00
2008 1750000.00
2009 1500000.00

ck_IN
04-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Ouch htismaqe. Now it does make sense. There's no way Knight earns that kind of coin. It doesn't change the fact that we still need a free safety but at least now I understand what they're thinking.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Ouch htismaqe. Now it does make sense. There's no way Knight earns that kind of coin. It doesn't change the fact that we still need a free safety but at least now I understand what they're thinking.

Especially at his age.

Who knows what they're going to do at FS. I would have like to see them address it, but I still think this was a solid 1st-day overall...

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Especially at his age.

Who knows what they're going to do at FS. I would have like to see them address it, but I still think this was a solid 1st-day overall...

Strong safety's are a cheap commodity in the FA market. I don't understand why you'd waste a 2nd round pick on a SS who isn't going to start this year, especially when we have a glaring hole at FS and CB.

banyon
04-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Especially at his age.

Right we never restructure anyone's deal. :shake:

CoMoChief
04-30-2006, 12:24 PM
We need to address the DT position. Rodrique Wright is on board still, hopefully he will fall to us, and maybe Tony Palmer will fall to us in the 6th.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Right we never restructure anyone's deal. :shake:

What's that got to do with anything? We restructure deals all the time, when we have a need.

Obviously, we no longer need to. We got significantly younger at SS.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 01:21 PM
We need to address the DT position. Rodrique Wright is on board still, hopefully he will fall to us, and maybe Tony Palmer will fall to us in the 6th.

Wright in the 6th would be a good pick...

banyon
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
What's that got to do with anything? We restructure deals all the time, when we have a need.

Obviously, we no longer need to. We got significantly younger at SS.

Or we could keep Knight, restructure his deal, and actually not have glaring weaknesses at CB, DT, and WR.

jspchief
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
In the spirit of the Hali bump.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2007, 12:20 PM
ROFL I love these threads.

El Jefe
04-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Ashton Youboty isnt that good I watched him his entire career at Ohio State, and he was hurt like all last year anyway.

Cochise
04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Logical didn't like the pick? Shocking! :p

Mecca
04-27-2007, 03:52 PM
In fairness to the thread.......4th rounder Ko Simpson is better than Pollard is.......

Short Leash Hootie
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
In fairness to the thread.......4th rounder Ko Simpson is better than Pollard is.......
Don't think so...

I think Pollard is going to be a SUPERSTAR...

el borracho
04-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Pollard may become a great player but to this date he hasn't been a great 2nd round pick. Did he even see the field outside of special teams?

cdcox
04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Way too soon for either side to declare victory, IMO.

Crashride
04-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Pollard may become a great player but to this date he hasn't been a great 2nd round pick. Did he even see the field outside of special teams?

Only because he didnt get a chance to start...and yes he was on special teams and blocked 3 punts...sounds like he may be special if you ask me

el borracho
04-27-2007, 04:37 PM
"Didn't get the chance to start"? Chance had nothing to do with it. If the coaching staff thought he was good enough he would have played. It's not like there was a probowl player ahead of him on the depth chart.

I have nothing against Pollard. I hope he turns out to be a great player for us for many years but I expect 2nd round picks to see the field more than Pollard did in 2006.

*edit: Oh, and yes! three blocked punts in one season is special.

Baby Lee
04-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Good morning Mr. Logical, could you tell us a little about your morning routine?

I'm glad you asked. I take great comfort each and every morning ensconcing myself in the breakfast nook with my morning paper and a big ol cup of wrong.

Crashride
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
"Didn't get the chance to start"? Chance had nothing to do with it. If the coaching staff thought he was good enough he would have played. It's not like there was a probowl player ahead of him on the depth chart.

I have nothing against Pollard. I hope he turns out to be a great player for us for many years but I expect 2nd round picks to see the field more than Pollard did in 2006.

*edit: Oh, and yes! three blocked punts in one season is special.

Its very rare that a rookie safety is going to start over knight or wesley in their first year...especially with a new coach. With Knight gone and wesley going I think Herms intentions are clear. He asked Pollard to be the best special teams player and he delivered, which is something most chiefs dont do.

Mecca
04-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Don't think so...

I think Pollard is going to be a SUPERSTAR...

Ko Simpson is a good starting safety for the Bills in the same defense we run, that puts him ahead of Pollard right now in my book......seeing as he started 15 of 16 games last year and Pollard played special teams.

Crashride
04-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Ko Simpson is a good starting safety for the Bills in the same defense we run, that puts him ahead of Pollard right now in my book......seeing as he started 15 of 16 games last year and Pollard played special teams.

He probably wouldnt have started with us because we supposedly had "good" players in knight and Greg "I cant tackle Derek Anderson" Wesley.

Brock
04-27-2007, 04:58 PM
LOL.

HolmeZz
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
I was like the first one to come to the defense of those Hali and Pollard(aka the reaches).

jidar
04-27-2007, 05:04 PM

this is a dumb line of reasoning. 95% of the players in the draft have someone who was better than them get picked later. If you're going to cherry pick like that you can do it all day on every single player.

HolmeZz
04-27-2007, 05:05 PM
In fairness to Mecca, I even had Simpson ranked ahead of Pollard last year. I didn't understand why Ko fell like he did. And he played well last season.

Crashride
04-27-2007, 05:09 PM
I was like the first one to come to the defense of those Hali and Pollard(aka the reaches).

I actually noticed you did defend them in all those threads people a digging up from the grave

HolmeZz
04-27-2007, 05:18 PM
I think our draft ended up playing out find on the first day last year. Hali was a first rounder. I had Pollard as a 3rd rounder who we took in the 2nd, and I had Croyle as a 2nd rounder who we took in the 3rd. And I liked our 2nd day, with Page, Webb, and Maxey.

Coach
04-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Although Pollard is a impact on Special Teams, and that DOES COUNT for something.

LiL stumppy
04-27-2007, 05:23 PM
How can you rule Pollard a bust already? He looked good the few times he did play.

Messier
04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Well, he's gonna start this year so we will see.

Crashride
04-27-2007, 05:25 PM
All that matters is that Pollard wanted to be the starter but was told to do something else to earn it and he delivered.

Thig Lyfe
04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
How can you rule Pollard a bust already? He looked good the few times he did play.

Read the date of the post, pal.

Mecca
04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I bring it up because during the draft I said if they wanted a safety Simpson was a better prospect then Pollard.......

Simpson fell supposedly because he was a 21 year old sophomore and he "wasn't very smart" the same knock Reggie Nelson has.........boy teams got that one right.

Logical
04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I think the jury is still out on this one, but admittedly he is a very good special teams player.

Count Alex's Losses
04-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I think the jury is still out on this one, but admittedly he is a very good special teams player.

If you can't trust Herm's opinion of a DB what can you trust? I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. We dumped two very solid veterans to get him on the field.

Mecca
04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Well Herm drafted Jon McGraw in the 2nd round.......there's always that.