PDA

View Full Version : what to do, what to do. Quit or stay

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
ahh, I've been debating this all night. Right after I graduated college I got this job that has a decent salary to start out with (30K) with benefits. Well after a few months, I HATE IT!!! they fed me a ton of B.S. about how they run their company with great people and treat each other with respect and blah blah blah...well every one is an a-hole and I hate it. It's not that I don't perform my job well, they just are like this to almost everybody. Bitching about stupid stupid little things constantly and now they want me to work on the weekends at god awful early hours (6am-3pm). Well I'm debating not showing up tomorrow and that would really screw them over because I'm supposed to be the only one there and it's pretty important for them that I show up. Well I'm thinking strongly about just screwing them over and not showing up, I would probably get a kick out of that, but who knows, I've never done that before. I've never been fired or have been threatened to be fired at any job I've ever had in my life, but daily the highers ups threaten to fire us over the dumbest little things (like if a trash can isn't emptied regularly, having fresh coffee...no KIDDING, if our desks aren't absolutely clean all the time and windows being windexed regularly) I'm not in the cleaning business and I don't know why they are such a-holes about these things.

Well anyways, I'm supposed to show up at 6am and I don't think I'm gonna! I still haven't decided, but I've never done anything like this and I don't think I'll regret it because I hate the job and the money isn't that great anyways. I pretty much just took the first job out of college that was offered to me. I've only been there a few months and the reference isn't that important to me so f*ck it. Our bosses speak to everyone as if we are all children or idiots and I'm tired of it.

I'm also going to really f*ck over my boss, when we work evenings he drinks a lot! he brings in cases of his miller high life and goes at it and he showed me a way you can cheat paper work, making the administrators in the KC based office think we are making way more of a profit than we are....and I don't really like that either. So I'm going to rat on him and at least cause him a headache...

what do ya all think?

Sully
04-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Good Idea: Find a new job, quit horrible job. Live happily ever after.
Bad Idea: Burn the bridges at your first post-college job to the point that you can't use it as a reference.

DomerNKC
04-29-2006, 10:10 PM
just give them back their ice cream truck and walk away...be the bigger man.

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Good Idea: Find a new job, quit horrible job. Live happily ever after.
Bad Idea: Burn the bridges at your first post-college job to the point that you can't use it as a reference.

it's only been a few months, had it been longer then the reference would make more of a difference to me

Iowanian
04-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Very responsible. That'll help build your resume' a positive way. I'll bet the boss will write "A shining example of team player and goes the extra mile"

Something looks familiar in these threads and there is 1 common denominator...and its never his fault.

just "not showing up" and dumping your work on someone else's sunday is a d!ck move.

greg63
04-29-2006, 10:15 PM
what to do, what to do. Quit or stay
If one has to seriously ask this question then most usually in his/her heart of hearts he/she has already decided, and is just looking for someone to affirm that decision.

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2006, 10:16 PM
I told myself that I would never wait tables again, but I could walk in that place tomorrow and have my job back. Not long term, but that would allow me to have more time to hold out and search for a job that I might like, or at least not hate. I know what some of you will say, but it doesn't seem like a bad option for me. I may think about doing another internship too, somewhere that actually hires interns after the internship is over, unlike the internship that I did. Plus waiting tables there, I made almost as much money as I am now....the only thing is no benefits

Iowanian
04-29-2006, 10:18 PM
I hope they're having a special during the NASCAR race across the street from a John Deere convention.

Strap on that hairnet trooper.

Just "not showing up" is a dick move and mostly just screws over those responsible enough to do their job, and yours.

KCChiefsMan
04-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Very responsible. That'll help build your resume' a positive way. I'll bet the boss will write "A shining example of team player and goes the extra mile"

Something looks familiar in these threads and there is 1 common denominator...and its never his fault.

just "not showing up" and dumping your work on someone else's sunday is a d!ck move.

I don't think that you know the situation. I don't need 3 months of a job I hate on my resume...it's already pretty good without it, it would be pretty stupid to put it on my resume if I do this. You are right, it would be a dick move, but my immediate boss is a complete a-hole, so I would feel no quilt or remorse. I could bring this guy down with the dirt I have on him, and if he wasn't such an a-hole to me and everyone than I wouldn't do it, but I'm gonna grin over that one for a while.

Katipan
04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I hope you do whatever the hell makes you happy.

But you'll be dumping trash and making coffee if you wait tables. Are free weekends worth giving up security?

KCChiefsMan
Just "not showing up" is a dick move and mostly just screws over those responsible enough to do their job, and yours.

not my problem.

Iowanian
You don't get it, and I doubt you ever will.

Every time you post about a job, its always the other guy thats the asshole.....The guy in the Cap, the cowboy, the girl who says you're racist...the dick boss....

If you've only been there 3 months, have little responsibility..I'm guessing the only way you could "Take him down" is if he gave you a $20 and you followed him to a large closet with a tube of carmex.

Sully
04-29-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure why you asked for advice. It seems you already know what you are doing, and the advice you are hearing is not good enough.
Do you just want to brag about screwing over a bad boss?

luv
04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Where I work, we have a rule. No call, no show, no job. It's considered job abandonment. It's also considered self-termination (in other words, you quit). People find that it's difficult to get their unemployment on those terms.

|Zach|
04-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't burn bridges. Just me though.

cdcox
04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
not my problem.

But your actions are making it someone elses problem. If you are in a bad employment situation, the smart play is to keep the job you have, while looking for another job. Give two weeks notice at your current job once you find your next position. Its called professional courtesy and it is what professional people do. Just not showing up only demonstrates that you are not responsible enough to be trusted with a better job.

I expect you'll ignore this advice.

luv
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Keep in mind that a$$holes are everywhere.

elvomito
04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
you could always get yourself fired so you can collect unemployment... take the summer off.
maybe try to pull the ol fight club/tyler durden/beat yourself silly con and get some paid vacation out of the deal while they pay for your psych evals.
anyway its always easier to find a job while you're emplyed for some reason

DomerNKC
04-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Keep in mind that a$$holes are everywhere.i'm an a$$hole.

Iowanian
04-29-2006, 10:32 PM
It will always be something, someone, somewhere.

Excuses are always easy to find for those looking for them.

BigMeatballDave
04-29-2006, 10:50 PM
If you really HATE the job, and do not want to go in the morning, atleast call-off for tomorrow. Then, on Monday, put in your notice. Regardless of how they treat you, they may think you are a quality employee, thus, giving you a good reference. Ultimately, it's your call. Good luck...

BigChief1
04-29-2006, 11:00 PM
You sound like someone that is immature and has never had a serious job in your life. And now that you've got one, you're willing to piss it away like it's nothing. It's time to grow up and accept some responsibility. In case you haven't looked lately there aren't all that many jobs out there. I interview many people every week that would kill for your job. They have a family and have been out of work for some time. As someone that works in a human resourses position, I encourage you to go to work. We all have had jobs we've disliked. It's time to be a man. Find another position before leaving your current one. Make it a clean break. You won't regret it.

BucEyedPea
04-29-2006, 11:33 PM

What he said.

Look...kiddo, you never know when you'll need someone in life.
So bite your tongue, mind your manners no matter how bad it is...and give a proper notice.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Bridge---------:fire:---------------Bridge

Just my .02

Mosbonian
04-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Sorry, but I see no sympathy in your future from most of us here. There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I can tell you this....

Just remember that karma has a way of biting back....I know a guy who quit a job in the same unruly way that you are intending to. A few years later he was a candidate for a job he REALLY wanted....when he showed up for the interview guess who was the person he was to interview with...yep, you got it, the very same Manager that he had stiffed a few years before.

m:mad:dog

kregger
04-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Sorry, but I see no sympathy in your future from most of us here. There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said, but I can tell you this....

Just remember that karma has a way of biting back....I know a guy who quit a job in the same unruly way that you are intending to. A few years later he was a candidate for a job he REALLY wanted....when he showed up for the interview guess who was the person he was to interview with...yep, you got it, the very same Manager that he had stiffed a few years before.

m:mad:dog
Exactly. Not sure what your field is but it's a small world and you can be black balled for a long time. Sack up and quit like a man.

Valiant
04-30-2006, 01:49 AM
Shit I just started my 8th year at a job that I really can't stand.. But I get almost 8weeks of vaction/sick pay and most weekends off, and they work around my school schedule...

Ok, my job just sucks some of the time.. Oh and they let me play home run derby in the warehouse with a pipe and tape ball... :)

Rausch
04-30-2006, 01:51 AM
You're a pussy.

Quit being one.

It really is that simple. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY.

Then flip off anyone who hates your decision and pretend their frown doesn't make you smile when they aren't looking...

KCChiefsMan
04-30-2006, 05:06 AM
wow great advice everybody, you really like putting other people down.

I'm going to work...bye

greg63
04-30-2006, 05:09 AM
wow great advice everybody, you really like putting other people down.

I'm going to work...bye

Have a good day.

...Hope that was encouraging and uplifting enough.

Chiefs Express
04-30-2006, 05:52 AM
What type of work do you do for this company?

What are your expectations?

What is your degree in?

How old are you?

How many jobs have you held in your life?

How many of those jobs were run by assholes?

Now the big question: Is the employer the problem or are you the problem?

Only you can answer those questions and only you can determine what to do with your life. This is a good place to come to talk football, sports in general and to have light conversations about general topics. There are very few people here I'd listen to regarding my career or my life.

Where ever you go, what ever you do there will be assholes.

My recommendation would be to suck it up and do the job you were hired to do while searching for another position elsewhere. You are working from 6:00am to 3:00pm which would leave you plenty of time daily to search for a position. After you find one then give your notice and move on. Be prepared to find a whole new set of assholes and problems, your current position is not the only place that hires and is run by assholes.

StcChief
04-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Don't do it, until you have another job lined up.

Leave the right way.

Not a good way to start your post college career.

wazu
04-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Our bosses speak to everyone as if we are all children or idiots and I'm tired of it.

wutamess
04-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Puzzy!

You're not supposed to let a bunch of internet BB types change your mind.

BE A FREAKING MAN!
Stick with your decisions. don't just blow smoke up everyone's ass just to be an attention whore.

This thread had potential. Now it's completely worthless.

~Looking for excitement.

Chiefs Express
04-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Puzzy!

You're not supposed to let a bunch of internet BB types change your mind.

BE A FREAKING MAN!
Stick with your decisions. don't just blow smoke up everyone's ass just to be an attention whore.

This thread had potential. Now it's completely worthless.

~Looking for excitement.

Go play football on the interstate.

KCChiefsMan
04-30-2006, 02:24 PM
eh, I can't do it. Not because of any of your influences, but I'll continue to perfrom at the highest ability and hope for the best. I'll be looking for a career change and go out properly. I've never done that in my life at any job I've ever had......except for that telemarking job I had my first year in college...but to my defense I figured out it was a scam (selling credit cards to low income people...but they were only getting info on how to get a card and they paid $230 for it and then sure enough they would get declined) and sure enough several months after I quit I see in the paper that the cops raided that place and shut it down.

Raiderhader
04-30-2006, 02:51 PM
What? Not one person suggested black mailing the boss? Not that it is my personal reccomendation, but I figured at least one of you nefarious f#ckers would bring up the idea. I feel let down.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 03:43 PM
There is a right way and a wrong way to proceed in most situations. Its a small world, and its AMAZING how word gets around, and how people move and oportunities to affect each others lives happen down the road.

I've had an oportunity to hire my college advisor for a contract, and be part of firing a former boss from HS who shafted me and another guy over a $.13 potato. He'd forgotten, I hadn't.

If you hate it....start looking now. Its easier to find a job when you already have one. It also looks better to the person hiring you, when you say "I can't start until xyz because I need to give my 2 weeks notice"...because they assume you'll do the same for them.

Take it as people just being mean to you if you want....but sometimes, you just seem like one of those guys that needs a glove across the lips to get your attention.

jspchief
04-30-2006, 03:51 PM
What? Not one person suggested black mailing the boss? Not that it is my personal reccomendation, but I figured at least one of you nefarious f#ckers would bring up the idea. I feel let down.That's exactly what I thought.

You have you boss by the short & curlies. Either use it to improve your situation at work, or use it as part of the ultimate resignation.

If he's really that much of an asshole, and you're going to quit, at least f*ck the guy over for cooking the books.

Fat Elvis
04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Why the heck did you take a job at the NASCAR track in the first place?

cdcox
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
eh, I can't do it. Not because of any of your influences, but I'll continue to perfrom at the highest ability and hope for the best. I'll be looking for a career change and go out properly. I've never done that in my life at any job I've ever had......except for that telemarking job I had my first year in college...but to my defense I figured out it was a scam (selling credit cards to low income people...but they were only getting info on how to get a card and they paid $230 for it and then sure enough they would get declined) and sure enough several months after I quit I see in the paper that the cops raided that place and shut it down.

Good move. Now follow through by starting to look for something better.

stevieray
04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Sticking it out makes finding another job much easier.

Phobia
04-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Good for you, Paul. I was hoping you'd do the right thing. Congratulations.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Here's another anecdote for you college grad:

Once upon a time I helped a college student who interned for a PR firm across from my office. It was a project for her homework and it was what I did for work. So I helped her out with it as she was stuck. I wasn't much older than her...perhaps four years older. I just did it to help her out.

She graduated a year later. I had lost touch with her.

One day I called a large corp looking for business. Guess who was one of the peeps in charge of hiring people that did what I did, as a newly hired PR professional? Yep! You guessed. I wound up with a new account.

One day she said to me....I never forgot about the time you helped me out without ever expecting anything in return. I always remembered it. I had forgoten but she didn't.

See kid....it can work both ways.

Gonzo
04-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Every job sucks at first. I started my current career as a 6.50/hr employee. Now I am in charge of an entire district at 4 times that. Every 2 yrs. I get promoted and am thankful that I put up with my first dickhead boss. The best piece of advice I could give is, make a fuggin decision and don't look back. Screw over the right people and hope for the best. Either stick it out for at least a year or quit now and keep your fingers crossed. Hey, how would you like to be the guy who bitches about the trash cans and drinks beer at the office? Pretty sweet job in my opinion. And I tell you what, if it does'nt work out for you, I have a nice position under my desk always open!

Gonzo
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Here's another anecdote for you college grad:

Once upon a time I helped a college student who interned for a PR firm across from my office. It was a project for her homework and it was what I did for work. So I helped her out with it as she was stuck. I wasn't much older than her...perhaps four years older. I just did it to help her out.

She graduated a year later. I had lost touch with her.

One day I called a large corp looking for business. Guess who was one of the peeps in charge of hiring people that did what I did, as a newly hired PR professional? Yep! You guessed. I wound up with a new account.

One day she said to me....I never forgot about the time you helped me out without ever expecting anything in return. I always remembered it. I had forgoten but she didn't.

See kid....it can work both ways.

Didja bang her?

BucEyedPea
04-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Didja bang her?

Well gee being another female, no!
And I don't stoop to that level to find work.
That's for losers too.

KcMizzou
04-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Well gee being another female, no!
Fun hater.

BucEyedPea
04-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Fun hater.

No it's called not http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/icons/poop-icon.gif where one eats. AKA being smart!

4th and Long
04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
No it's called not http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/images/icons/poop-icon.gif where one eats. AKA being smart!
That may be true but you just ruined the fantasies of about 100 of our male members (bad pun). You'll never be like the rest of the cool girls here, who profess to "swing" a little, unless you play along.

luv
04-30-2006, 08:01 PM
That may be true but you just ruined the fantasies of about 100 of our male members (bad pun). You'll never be like the rest of the cool girls here, who profess to "swing" a little, unless you play along.
I've never professed to swinging. Then again, I'm not cool either. :shrug:

4th and Long
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
I've never professed to swinging. Then again, I'm not cool either. :shrug:
Maybe you should start? Then, you'll be cool. :p

Braincase
04-30-2006, 08:53 PM
What? Not one person suggested black mailing the boss? Not that it is my personal reccomendation, but I figured at least one of you nefarious f#ckers would bring up the idea. I feel let down.

You aren't privy to the smokes, J. STFU

BucEyedPea
04-30-2006, 09:06 PM

That's okay...coming from 4th and Schlong. Live n' Let Live! :)

KcMizzou
04-30-2006, 09:13 PM
4th and SchlongOh, now that's just gross.

ROFL