PDA

View Full Version : Best Chiefs draft EVER...

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I don't see how it could be any better.

We addressed 3 needs in the 1st 3 rounds, got a great player in Hali, FINALLY got a QBotF...

AND

We STILL get to see a meltdown from the whiners!

Best draft ever!

banyon
04-30-2006, 10:50 AM
:homer:

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:51 AM

the only reason you come to this board

the million dollar question is ... "who whines more ... the whiners or the people who whine about the whiners?"

the Talking Can
what's even better is we're getting a mini-meltdown over round 4 of the second day...kind of like an after shock from the main meltdown..

the Talking Can

the million dollar question is ... "who whines more ... the whiners or the people who whine about the whiners?"

the answer is "you"

JBucc
04-30-2006, 10:52 AM

the million dollar question is ... "who whines more ... the whiners or the people who whine about the whiners?"The whiners, because the people that whine about he whiners then become whiners.

VonneMarie
04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm liking this draft too. :)

Moooo
04-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Not the best... 1996 ranks as my fav, even though we didn't reap the rewards of Horn, we still drafted him!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/KC

Mooo

jspchief
04-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Obviosly it's a bit premature to call this the best draft ever. On paper it has the potential to be very good.

But it raises another question. What is the best draft KC has had under Peterson?

Sully
04-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Obviosly it's a bit premature to call this the best draft ever. On paper it has the potential to be very good.

But it raises another question. What is the best draft KC has had under Peterson?

Derrick Thomas.
I don't care who else was picked.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 10:55 AM
I fail to see how an injury prone QBOTF, a bonafide reach in round 2, and a B to B+ pick in round 1 equate to the best draft ever. Maybe Croyle stays healthy AND develops. Maybe Pollard turns out to be a good linebacker or safety and actually develops coverage skills. Until then, it's hard to make such categorical assertions.

JBucc
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
I fail to see how an injury prone QBOTF, a bonafide reach in round 2, and a B to B+ pick in round 1 equate to the best draft ever. Maybe Croyle stays healthy AND develops. Maybe Pollard turns out to be a good linebacker or safety and actually develops coverage skills. Until then, it's hard to make such categorical assertions.No it's easy, watch I'll do it. This is the best draft ever. See how easy that was?

Bob Dole
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM

OH! OH! Bob Dole knows the answer!

Laz.

banyon
04-30-2006, 10:57 AM
I actually like last year's draft a lot better.

Stud in DJ, potential pro-Bowl Punter, possible OT gems in Svitek and Parquet.

headsnap
04-30-2006, 10:58 AM
After we picked in the 4th round a couple of months ago, I have been kind of luke warm to the Herm Edwards thing. It took my excitement level down a bit, thoughts of a possible return to martyball, etc...

But the draft so far has brought the fire back!!!!

Go Herm!!!!!

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM
OH! OH! Bob Dole knows the answer!

Laz.
says the dumbass that can't help but talk in 3rd person

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM

First of all, I'm being somewhat facetious.

However, I'm also speaking of the here and now. You're using hindsight...throw out hindsight.

Which draft did you feel best about at this point in time?

Mooo mentioned 1996. Well, I can remember ALOT of people that HATED the Joe Horn pick, amongst others.

Donnie Edwards, Reggie Tongue. At this point in the 1996 draft, people were pissed.

Mi_chief_fan
04-30-2006, 11:01 AM

I'll not tolerate ANY Bob Dole bashing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Dole wouldn't like that.

Coach
04-30-2006, 11:01 AM
The 2003 draft looked shitty, especially at first when the Chiefs got LJ and Mitchell in the first 2 rounds. Who would had thunk of it that both of them would had panned out 2 years later?

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
No.

Best DRAFT ever. At least for me.

Chiefs doing great so far, DeAngelo to a great fit, Gotti to the Pats in the fourth... I am loving this so very much.

Plus the general depth and WTF moments that make it fun to follow and impossible to predict.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 11:04 AM

Stud in DJ, potential pro-Bowl Punter, possible OT gems in Svitek and Parquet.

I wasn't keen on trading a 2nd-round pick for an aging CB.

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2006, 11:04 AM
I never get pissed about the draft. I like to see how these players pan out before getting my panties in a bunch...

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2006, 11:06 AM
The 2003 draft looked shitty, especially at first when the Chiefs got LJ and Mitchell in the first 2 rounds. Who would had thunk of it that both of them would had panned out 2 years later?Exactly my point. You never know...

SNR
04-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Best Chiefs draft in a long time certainly.

Not the best draft, though. Denver's been making some great moves. That brings my enjoyment level down a notch or two

banyon
04-30-2006, 11:09 AM
I wasn't keen on trading a 2nd-round pick for an aging CB.

Oh, I forgot to include that. Yeah I WAS keen on getting a multiple Pro-Bowl corner at age 29 since we throw that pick away almost every year anyway. That actually makes me like it more, Thanks for the reminder. :)

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2006, 11:10 AM

Stud in DJ, potential pro-Bowl Punter, possible OT gems in Svitek and Parquet.I don't like it a lot better, but it was the most complete draft in a while. Lots of guys who could contribute.

This and last year really feel like core-building drafts.

DTLB58
04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I never get pissed about the draft. I like to see how these players pan out before getting my panties in a bunch...

You wear panties? :p

CoMoChief
04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
ROD WRIGHT/JONATHAN SCOTT STILL ON BOARD. GO GET EM CARL!!!!

CoMoChief
04-30-2006, 11:14 AM
You wear panties? :p

I do, big whup wanna fight about it?

chief52
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM

My attitude exactly. What the hell do we really know about all these guys? I mean, I have seen many play, but as far as how they will develop in the NFL I have no clue. I will defer to the experts* and let the chips fall where they may.

* The Chief front office...not the self proclaimed experts who know so little that none of them could even get a low level scouting job.

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2006, 11:16 AM
ROD WRIGHT/JONATHAN SCOTT STILL ON BOARD. GO GET EM CARL!!!!Rodrique Wright screams "out of the league in two years."

milkman
04-30-2006, 11:16 AM
ROD WRIGHT/JONATHAN SCOTT STILL ON BOARD. GO GET EM CARL!!!!

Scott is off the board now.

CupidStunt
04-30-2006, 11:20 AM
The only reason Denver's been mentioned close to the best draft is because of the Walker trade.

With that in mind, our draft last year, including Surtain, was much better, imo.

KCChiefsFan88
04-30-2006, 11:30 AM

We addressed 3 needs in the 1st 3 rounds, got a great player in Hali, FINALLY got a QBotF...

AND

Best draft ever!

Let's analyze the needs that were not addressed in the first 3 rounds:

1) WR: IMO the most dire position of need on the team currently. You look at the current depth chart at WR and it is scary. If Kennison gets injured, Kris Wilson may end up starting at WR. Have the Chiefs done anything to address this position in free agency? No Did the Chiefs do anything to address this position in the first 3 rounds yesterday? No.

2) CB: Herm claims this isn't as great of a need as some people think because of the fact the Chiefs currently have 12 CBs on the roster. Memo to Herm, quantity doesn't equate to quality.

3) Left tackle: Someone in the Chiefs front office has to remember what happened last year when Roaf was injured, right?? I think it was pretty clear that Black was NOT the answer at LT. This is likely Roaf's final season and the Chiefs have done NOTHING to address the position. Eric Winston was available in the 2nd round and it would be have been a perfect situation to draft a guy with first round potential prior to his injury.

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Our answer for LT was picked in the fifth round last year.

mikey23545
04-30-2006, 11:34 AM

1) WR: IMO the most dire position of need on the team currently. You look at the current depth chart at WR and it is scary. If Kennison gets injured, Kris Wilson may end up starting at WR. Have the Chiefs done anything to address this position in free agency? No Did the Chiefs do anything to address this position in the first 3 rounds yesterday? No.

2) CB: Herm claims this isn't as great of a need as some people think because of the fact the Chiefs currently have 12 CBs on the roster. Memo to Herm, quantity doesn't equate to quality.

3) Left tackle: Someone in the Chiefs front office has to remember what happened last year when Roaf was injured, right?? I think it was pretty clear that Black was NOT the answer at LT. This is likely Roaf's final season and the Chiefs have done NOTHING to address the position. Eric Winston was available in the 2nd round and it would be have been a perfect situation to draft a guy with first round potential prior to his injury.

Yeah, it really sucks the Chiefs didn't address six needs in the first three rounds...

Dammit Carl!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Priestgets30TDs
04-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Best draft ever was '89. We built the team around DT for an entire decade. DT had 52 sacks in college. 27 of them his senior year. That's sick.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 12:26 PM

1) Not a need. #1 offense in the league every year since Willie Roaf arrived. Willie Roaf isn't a WR I don't think.

2) Not a need, I agree with Herm.

3) This is the only one I agree with.

Adept Havelock
04-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Can't say I'm disappointed at all with this draft. Excited like last year, no. Then again, how often does a talent like DJ fall that far? We adressed some critical needs yesterday, and picked up a QB to groom as a replacement for Green. I expect we will see some decent depth added today. I do like the CB pick in the 5'th.

As for the other CB's, I'm willing to trust Herm on his opinion until he gives me a reason not to. It's trite but true that he's likely forgotten more about the position than most players know, IMO.

An LT would be nice, but there's still the second stage of FA to add a little depth on the O-line.

Ari Chi3fs
04-30-2006, 12:54 PM
All I know is, last year, I almost cried with happiness when Derrick Johnson fell to us.

None of that this year... we wont know how great this draft is for a couple years or so.

Halfcan
04-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Best draft ever was '89. We built the team around DT for an entire decade. DT had 52 sacks in college. 27 of them his senior year. That's sick.

DT was the best pick ever in modern Chiefs history.

Bob Dole
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM

Ouch. You really slammed Bob Dole's fingers in the door with that one. You big meaniehead.

i don't even post enough on this board anymore to be :"the" whiner ... dumbass

More accurately, you don't post enough on here that doesn't appear to need to be read aloud in a high-pitched, whiny little girl voice. You're such a little bitch any more, it wouldn't surprise Bob Dole one bit if you were sporting a couple of C cups at the moment.

KCTitus
05-02-2006, 09:46 AM
LOL...one thing we can all agree on is the importance of the draft to the team. The decisions make or break the teams future success.

Something unrelated, but the local sports talk stations were discussing the Redskins 'draft'...if you can call it that and all seemed to agree that Gibbs and the Skins dont care about the draft. They'll reach for players and if they pan out so be it, but otherwise, they're all about getting the FA's that pan out on other teams that are established NFL players that they can sign away from other franchises.

I certainly hope for the NFL's sake that the Skins version of talent development doesnt take root.

MahiMike
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I'll have whatever he's smoking...

Inspector
05-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Ouch. You really slammed Bob Dole's fingers in the door with that one. You big meaniehead.

More accurately, you don't post enough on here that doesn't appear to need to be read aloud in a high-pitched, whiny little girl voice. You're such a little bitch any more, it wouldn't surprise Bob Dole one bit if you were sporting a couple of C cups at the moment.

Mmmmm....C cups....

djplanb
05-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I personally don't see how anyone can think this was a good draft. I think we got some decent players, but certainly not at positions where we urgently needed them. I also was reading the Pro Football Weekly draft guide info on each of the picks and now am less excited than I was before.

I also think Hali is a great person, but I could see him not having the fire to play after he gets his mother to the states. Will that intensity still be there?

And how many QBs have we drafted to never even try to develop them? I think we certainly could have waited another year before drafting a replacement for Trent. And what about Killian? Guess he'll be out soon.

If they don't sign Law or another CB and maybe a WR, this team is going nowhere.

go bowe
05-02-2006, 02:13 PM
didn't herm say that we had like 12 cb's on the roster?

maybe we could play 4 of them at warfield's spot, all at the same time...

of course we'd have to have 14 players on the field to do it...

Chiefnj
05-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I personally don't see how anyone can think this was a good draft. I think we got some decent players, but certainly not at positions where we urgently needed them. I also was reading the Pro Football Weekly draft guide info on each of the picks and now am less excited than I was before.

I also think Hali is a great person, but I could see him not having the fire to play after he gets his mother to the states. Will that intensity still be there?

And how many QBs have we drafted to never even try to develop them? I think we certainly could have waited another year before drafting a replacement for Trent. And what about Killian? Guess he'll be out soon.

If they don't sign Law or another CB and maybe a WR, this team is going nowhere.

PFW's draft guide is useless since Buchbaum (sp?) died.

Ultra Peanut
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM

I also think Hali is a great person, but I could see him not having the fire to play after he gets his mother to the states. Will that intensity still be there?Damn. You read a draft guide, and you're also psychic.

We're boned.

go bowe
05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
you're a peanut...

what do you know about psychics?

ct
05-02-2006, 02:56 PM
you're a peanut...

what do you know about psychics?

heh, nice

Dave Lane
05-02-2006, 02:58 PM

AND

Best draft ever!

Funny last year must be a long way off for you. Last year was much better than this year. And this crop of crap has yet to play a down in the NFL. I doubt more than 3 of of these potential duds are on the team this time next year.

Dave

Jayhawkerman2001
05-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Im with him, Derrick Thomas, hands down the best thing carl peterson has ever done for this team and for this entire city. CP worked his ass off to get that pic didnt he?

ck_IN
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know that I would call it the best draft but it would appear to be a good one.

We needed in no particular order: Dline, Oline, WR, CB, FS, SS, QB.

We got a DE, 2 Olinemen, a SS, a CB that will likely become a FS, a Qb and a late round WR.

We didn't get a DT and we didn't really address CB but you only have so many picks. Now comes the real scouting test with the UDFA's.

Logical
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
No meltdown from me, but of course that is because I liked the Hali pick and I expect Carl to blow the 2nd round choice every year now. He did not fail to meet my 2nd round expectations. I sort of wish we had traded our 2nd for Herm because we usually get better value from our 4th round picks.

Logical
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I wasn't keen on trading a 2nd-round pick for an aging CB.That is where you and I differ, I wish we would trade our 2nd round pick every year. I think last year was the happiest I have ever been with a draft the only pick I disliked was Killian but big deal he was a 7th rounder.

Spicy McHaggis
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM

Draft guides are just someone else who isn't sitting in NFL War Room making guesses at players. They contradict each other and themselves at times.

Hali seems to have the fire as part of his person, a character trait rather than it being soley attributed to an outside influence. And isn't getting his mother over much more of a noble cause than 99.9% of the rest of the players reason for wanting to play in the league $$$?

Croyle is a character guy, a leader, has a big arm, played in a successful program, played in a similar style offense, reminds some of Joe Montana and was slated to go earlier than we got him. Trent is what, 36? We might have been able to wait one more year to draft his replacement but there isn't any guarantee that a guy near the ability of Croyle would be available. Also Croyle will be better if he can learn and develop for 2 years rather than just one.

That's a little extreme. But I actually hope we get Law and are active after June cuts. His price should be down and if he can pull a Troy Vincent and play a little FS after he slows down than all the better.

KCChiefsMan
05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
for middle rounds 2004 was awesome, Jared Allen, the steal, 2003 turned out very well. 2002 sucked ass, 2001 really stank up the joint except for trading for Trent, 1996 was definately a great draft...too bad we didn't have the 2 pro-bowlers while they were in their prime. Actually looking at this decades draft list is quite depressing. Well 11 starters drafted from 2000 - 2005 some being Ryan Sims, Scott Fujita, Greg Wesley and Jordan Black

htismaqe
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Some people evidently don't understand sarcasm...

djplanb
05-04-2006, 11:39 AM
i'll just say i hope you're all right and this draft is better than i thought it was originally.

Logical
05-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Some people evidently don't understand sarcasm...

Possibly, sarcasm unless heavily administered or accented with smilies is difficult to catch in text form. If this post was meant for me, then sorry I missed your sarcasm.