PDA

View Full Version : It's round 5 who do the Chiefs take?

RedThat
04-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Do you go CB?

Another Safety?

DT?

thoughts.

Chief Roundup
04-30-2006, 12:34 PM
fullback

Ultra Peanut
04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
LeKevin Smith
Anwar Phillips
Ben Obomanu

Any of the above would please me greatly.

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Jesse Mahelona, Rodrique Wright and Lewis are still available at DT.

RedThat
Jesse Mahelona is still there.

Dee Web from Florida.

milkman
Rod Wright

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Rod Wright, Marcus Maxley, LeKevin Smith

RedThat
04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I say we go CB or DT...Watch it be a fullback...lol

Frosty
04-30-2006, 12:41 PM
[HOMER PICK] WR Mike Hass [/HOMER PICK]

HC_Chief
Rod Wright

Would be a solid pick IMO.

milkman
Jesse Mahelona is still there.

Dee Web from Florida.

I can see Mahelona.
He's the kind of high motor guy that Edwards likes.

KCChiefsFan88
04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Oh hell the Chiefs are on the clock... what disaster does Carl have in store

Bwana
04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I have no idea, but I want to see how may people cry and bitch about it. A few have bawled about all three picks so far and we can make it four in a row, we should get some respectable sized pearls forming in there ginas by now.

Crush
The suspense is killing me.

Coach
Marcus Maxey, CB from Miami Florida.

Count Alex's Losses
CB Marcus Maxey

Ultra Peanut
Marcus MaxleyZING!

'Hamas' Jenkins
Maxley, I called that one. We may have a future solid Free Safety, even though he's listed as a CB.

Crush
Anybody know about this Marcus Maxley?

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2006, 12:45 PM
6'3 198!

HC_Chief
Career nickleback

Count Alex's Losses
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/maxey_marcus

Maxey is a competitive cornerback who consistently comes up on plays (runs and passes) in front of him and makes good tackles. He has good instincts and they help him to consistently read and react quickly to passes in front of him. He transitions out of the pedal well and has a good closing burst. He has good hands and body control to reach in front of a receiver to break up the pass and can cut in front to make the tough interception. He seems to enjoy playing physical with the receiver, which helps him to stay on the receiver's hip all over the field. He has good playing speed to run with most receivers on deep routes.

Maxey is a straight-line athlete who lacks the hips and flexibility to flip hips and turn and run with receivers. He consistently loses a step and lacks the burst to catch up. He allows the receiver to close the cushion and get on top of him in 'Off' coverage too quickly and is late flipping hips to try and turn and run with the receiver. He only started for one season at Miami and lacks the good athleticism and elite playing speed and explosiveness to be a complete cornerback.

Coach
04-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Marcus Maxey
CB | (6'1", 198, 4.51) | MIAMI (FLA.)

Strengths: Is a big defensive back with good athletic ability and speed for his size. Has long arms. Shows improved ball skills and challenges receivers for the ball in the air. He can match up on the perimeter with bigger receivers in the red zone. He has good quickness and initial burst for his size. Does a good job of fighting off of blocks and is an efficient open-field tackler. Also has great experience playing special teams in college and shows the potential to contribute in multiple facets in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal playing experience. Spent majority of time at DC position in college but might fit better at FS in NFL. Lacks ideal top-end speed to match up versus elite speed receivers in the NFL. Must improve instincts and awareness in zone coverage. Better athlete than football player at this point. He is a solid tackler and productive special teams player, but he does not fill as hard as he should in run support. Not as physical as his size would indicate.

Overall: Maxey redshirted in 2001 and played primarily on special teams in 2002. He played a versatile role as a DS and DC in all 13 games as a sophomore in 2003, while also contributing on special teams. Maxey started four of the 12 games he played as a nickel DC during his junior season in 2004, when he finished with 21 tackles and three passes broken up. Maxey played in all 12 games as a senior in 2005, when he beat out Devin Hester for the starting DC job opposite Kelly Jennings and finished with 27 tackles, three TFL, two interceptions and three PBU. Maxey lacks ideal playing experience and possesses just adequate top-end speed. He is a 'tweener DC/DS that may wind up being a better fit at the safety position in the NFL, but only if his awareness in coverage and aggressiveness in run support improve. Regardless, Maxey has made significant strides as a big, athletic and versatile defensive back over the course of the last three seasons. Maxey will be a developmental project early in his NFL career but he has great experience as a special teams and will at least be able to earn his keep in that area while finding a niche and polishing his skills on defense. In our opinion, Maxey is worth the gamble as a fourth or fifth round pick in 2006.

* Player biographies are provided by Scouts Inc.

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Maxey is a player who was a surprise with his good play in 2005 because he was a backup prior to his senior season, but in every game graded, he consistently broke up passes and made plays on passes in front of him. He has shown toughness coming up in run support and making strong and physical tackles on big running backs. He does a very good job of using his hands to play physically with a receiver in coverage. He slows the receiver's release consistently and can bump the receiver off his route with physical play. He is tight in the hips and cannot stay with the receiver when he has to turn and run and lacks the burst to catch up once he loses a step. Overall, Maxey is the type of player who often gets overlooked because he was only a one-year full-time starter, lacks good all-around athletic ability and elite speed. His quick feet, instincts and competitiveness will enable him to compete for a roster spot as a backup cornerback initially and if he gets the chance to play in a Tampa Bay Cover 2-type defensive scheme, he will develop into a solid starter who makes plays on the ball consistently, but also will get beaten deep more often than most corners due to tight hips and a lack of top-notch speed.

Count Alex's Losses
04-30-2006, 01:02 PM
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1026/193206662ud.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Ari Chi3fs
04-30-2006, 01:06 PM
The 5th round is our baby. We own this round.

milkman
04-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Maxley, I called that one. We may have a future solid Free Safety, even though he's listed as a CB.

That was my initial thought, as well.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Odds on Denver taking Rod Wright here??

Dunit35
04-30-2006, 01:13 PM
I would've taken Rod Wright. Maybe he could fall to us or we could trade our two sixth rounder to move up and get him. He could be a steal.

Cave Johnson
04-30-2006, 01:14 PM

That's what I think he'll play as well. Although he appears to have the straight line speed (4.42 at the combine) to play corner, his agility drill times (11.26 seconds in the short shuttle, 7.60 in the three-cone drill) scream FS.

He's also pretty strong for a corner (17 repetitions on the 225).

http://kffl.com/player/13952/NFL

Sully
04-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Why is there such a discrepancy in his 40-times? Everything is saying 4.5, then Gil Brandt says almost a 10th faster at the combine.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
I noticed his scouting reports all say that he excels at keeping plays in front of him.

I have to agree with you guys, looks like we may have gotten a FS prospect here...

wazu
04-30-2006, 01:24 PM
He's also pretty strong for a corner (17 repetitions on the 225).

Okay, that's stronger than me, but I am kind of surprised to hear that it is strong for any NFL player that isn't a kicker. With my weakling girl arms, I bet if I trained for a couple months I could do at least 2 or 3 reps of 225. I would kinda expect an NFL player to be throwing that weight through the ceiling.

(BTW I like this pick, he sounds like he is big, fast, and strong, and can make plays. Just pointing out my confusion on the definition of "strong" in the NFL.)

Sully
04-30-2006, 01:30 PM
It's not so much the weight of 225, it's the fatigue of pushing it time and again. I'm sure many of them could throw it through the ceiling if they were just doing one rep.

Cave Johnson
04-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Okay, that's stronger than me, but I am kind of surprised to hear that it is strong for any NFL player that isn't a kicker. With my weakling girl arms, I bet if I trained for a couple months I could do at least 2 or 3 reps of 225. I would kinda expect an NFL player to be throwing that weight through the ceiling.

You might think so, but corners usually put up less weight. Jimmy Williams, Richard Marshall and Kelly Jennings put up 12. Ashton Youboty and Johnathan Joseph put up 11. Performing well in the 225 requires upper body bulk, which is counterproductive for corners and free safetys.

CupidStunt
04-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Career nickleback

At a school LOADED at DB.

He beat out Devin Hester for the starting job who went in round 2 (or was it 3?).