PDA

View Full Version : Profile on Marcus Maxey

BigChiefFan
04-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Prospect Profile last updated by Drew
Marcus Maxey
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Position: CB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
College:

Miami

Projected

Round4 MEASUREMENTS
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
40 TIME
6'2"

ATTRIBUTE SCORE
SIZE
SPEED
STRENGTH
ATHLETICISM
XFACTOR
out of 10
out of 10
out of 10
out of 10
out of 10

DRAFTX.com VALUE

Pros:
Cons:
Draft Exchange Analysis:
CAREER: Very physical athlete who is competing with Devin Hester for the starting job at right cornerback, to replace Antrel Rolle...Has the potential to develop into a top defensive back...Played as the team's nickelback much of the 2004 season...Has quickness and athletic ability and is an instinctive defender who has a knack for making big plays...Is also an excellent special teams player...Graduated in May 2005 with a degree in psychology and is now pursuing a second degree in criminology.

2004 (JUNIOR): Played in all 12 games, making four starts as the nickelback... For the season, totaled 21 tackles, one fumble recovery and three pass breakups...Also played on the kickoff and punt coverage units...Played as the nickelback in the season opener vs. FSU and tallied 4 tackles and 1 tackle for loss...Started at nickelback vs. Louisiana Tech and made 1 pass breakup and 1 fumble recovery...Started at nickelback at Houston and made 1 tackle...Played as the nickelback at Georgia Tech and made 1 tackle...Started at nickelback vs. Louisville and registered 2 tackles...Started at nickelback at NC State and registered 3 tackles and 1 pass breakup...Played as the nickelback at North Carolina and made a career-high 5 tackles...Played mostly on special teams the next three games, making 1 tackle vs. Clemson, 2 tackles at Virginia, and 1 tackle vs. Wake Forest...Played as a reserve defensive back vs. Virginia Tech and made 1 tackle...In the Peach Bowl vs. Florida, played as reserve DB and on special teams (no tackles).

2003 (SOPHOMORE): Played in all 13 games in the defensive backfield and special teams, making 16 total tackles...he also has one fumble recovery and one quarterback hurry...assisted on two tackles in the season opener at Louisiana Tech...recovered a fumble and had one quarterback hurry against East Carolina...recorded one assisted tackle against West Virginia...made one solo tackle on special teams against Florida State...turned in the best day of his career against Temple with a career-best four tackles (one solo)...made one solo stop and one assisted tackle against Syracuse...had one tackle against Rutgers...made three tackles (two solos) in the FedEx Orange Bowl Classic victory over Florida State.

2002 (FRESHMAN):Played in 11 games as a reserve safety and on special teams...credited with four tackles (two unassisted) and a tackle for a loss...recorded one solo tackle in the win over Connecticut...had two tackles (one solo), including one for a loss of six yards in the season opener against Florida A&M.

2001 (REDSHIRT): Sat out the 2001 season with a redshirt and played on the Hurricanes' scout team.

HIGH SCHOOL: Navasota...was named a utility back on the prestigious "Super Team" of top Texas talent by Texas Football maga-zine prior to the 2000 season, recognizing that state's top 22 players at any position...has outstanding quickness and size at cornerback... an aggressive cover man who shown outstanding ability to read routes and passing situations...excelled in man coverage and shows a quick break to the ball...had 78 tackles as a senior in 2000...garnered 60 tackles, four interceptions and forced four fumbles in 1999 as a junior...a three-time first-team All-Area and first-team All-District selection who also played wide receiver as a senior...rated the No. 53 safety in the nation by Rivals.com...rated the No. 94 prospect overall in Texas by SuperPrep...rated among the Texas Top 50 prospects by PrepStar magazine...Texas Top 100 by The Dallas Morning News, The Houston Chronicle, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram and the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal...a member of the Texas Fab 55 by the Austin American-Statesman...two-time All-District defensive back...two-time All-Brazos Valley...coached by Robert Perkins.

CoMoChief
04-30-2006, 12:19 PM
So whats so damn special about this guy? Did we just draft this guy for special teams?

BigMeatballDave
04-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Does Marcus wear 'Maxey' pads?"

keg in kc
04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Blub on last season from the Chiefs 'site (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/04/30/chiefs_select_cb_marcus_maxey_in_round_5/):

UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI HEAD COACH LARRY COKER
QUOTES ON CB MARCUS MAXEY
“Marcus really came on for us. He has great speed. He doesn’t have quite the mobility of a Kelly Jennings or a Devin Hester, but he’s very physical player once he gets the opportunity. He can start in the NFL, and can certainly play in the nickel, dime and quarter packages, and he does a great job on special teams.“

CORNERBACK
MIAMI (FLA.)
6-0 192
NAVASOTA, TX

Maxey was an excellent special teams player during his first three seasons at Miami, but was asked to fill very big shoes as a senior by replacing perennial All-American, Antrel Rolle, at right cornerback. His physical style of play was a perfect blend for the coverage skills of left cornerback Tim Jennings. The pair consistently shut down the opposition’s passing game, as the Hurricanes led the nation in pass defense (152.17 ypg) and pass efficiency defense (89.48 rating) in 2005.

2005 SEASON

Played in twelve games, starting eleven contests at right cornerback…Recorded 37 tackles (23 solos) with two stops for losses of 6 yards and one quarterback pressure…Deflected four passes and intercepted two others for 32 yards in returns.

jspchief
04-30-2006, 01:13 PM
So whats so damn special about this guy? Did we just draft this guy for special teams?Well, we wanted Huff, but he was already taken.

What's so special? Nothing. That's why he was a 5th round pick. :shake:

CosmicPal
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
Did we just draft this guy for special teams?

Yes! Haven't you heard? Special teams win championships!

:D

Chan93lx50
04-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Deflected four passes and intercepted two others for 32 yards in returns.

At least the guy has some int's

CupidStunt
04-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Possible free safety in a cover-2 reading a little and remembering what I saw.

Hell knows, we need a guy who can man centerfield.

bringbackmarty
04-30-2006, 04:31 PM
yeah two safeties and a tweener cb\s in one draft. We are getting rid of Bartee and Woods, or Wesley, or maybe Knight. Nonw of our safeties are safe IMO.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 04:31 PM
So whats so damn special about this guy? Did we just draft this guy for special teams?

wtf is with some of you people? You expect Chuck Norris in the 7th round?

If the guy is an upgrade at the 53rd spot on the team and improves his spot on ANY special team...its an improvement.

This team needs improvement from every position from the bottom up pretty far up the roster.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm hoping this means the end of Wesley at the least. It could save us some money next year on Knight as well.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 04:45 PM
You think Maxey projects as a FS instead of a corner?

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
You think Maxey projects as a FS instead of a corner?

Yep.

KCBOSS1
04-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I don't. I think he's intended to be used as a smashmouth corner to deal with the big WRs.

KCBOSS1
04-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Didn't somebody say on another post yesterday that Herm has a good past in recognizing really good talent in DBs in lower rounds and developing them?

JohnnyV13
04-30-2006, 07:11 PM
I think maxey sounds like a good cover 2 corner. Good at handling plays in front of him, but the NFL.com analysis says he had problems turning and running with WRs. In a tampa style cover 2, that's not such a big deal, b/c it uses the 2 safeties and the mlb back in deep coverage.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2006, 07:42 PM
All of the reports I read had Maxey as a Cover 2 corner.

SoCalBronco
04-30-2006, 08:08 PM
That was a good pick. I am a Hurricanes fan. I was impressed by him this season. I was very surprised he was able to beat Hester out. Marcus made some real nice strides this year and has good speed.

penchief
04-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Does Marcus wear 'Maxey' pads?"

If he doesn't make it in the NFL he could start a business building homes and he could call it "Maxey Pads."

Ultra Peanut
05-01-2006, 02:44 AM
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Maxey and Pollard as the starting safeties next year. They're both perfect fits for a Cover Two, it would seem, what with the whole "do their best with the play in front of them" thing.

This draft is exciting because I see a starter and guys who could be starters relatively soon, rather than projects; Page is probably the closest thing we've got to a project, and he's a seventh-rounder.

Woodrow Call
05-02-2006, 08:54 AM
http://www.brazossports.com/stories/050206/football_20060502043.php
If you can play, you'll be found.

The Navasota Rattlers managed to win only five games in Marcus Maxey's junior and senior seasons, but he was good enough to earn a scholarship to the University of Miami.

Maxey, who redshirted with the Hurricanes, made only four starts in his first four years. But he was good enough as a senior to be drafted in the fifth round by the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday.

"Personally I feel like this is the perfect thing and a good fit for me," Maxey said at a Sunday press conference in Kansas City. "I waited patiently. I'm thankful for this opportunity. I met the Chiefs and interviewed with them at the combine. Ever since I met with them it's been all positive. I know they're good people. I'm just looking forward to coming in and helping the Chiefs get to the Super Bowl."

Maxey played some safety and special teams in his first three seasons as a backup at cornerback to All-American Antrel Rolle. He's glad he waited his turn to play for a program that's had a player picked in the first round for 11 straight years and has had 45 first-round picks since 1982.

"Without a doubt [it helps to play at Miami]," Maxey said. "You can go to one of those schools and start, but the system that we ran and how the coaches played us there was very much NFL-style. I know a lot of other guys from other colleges and they're styles weren't anything like ours at Miami. I just feel like going to the University of Miami, even though I didn't start every year, I feel like I'm more prepared. I realize that in the NFL there is going to be competition. Now if I never had competition at these smaller schools, when I got to the NFL it would be somewhat of a shock to me. Things are not going to be just handed to me. So not having things handed to me at Miami and having to work for everything I earned it's an attitude and something I can take with me to the next level."

Kansas City is looking to replace its right cornerback, Eric Warfield, who left for the New England Patriots.

The Chiefs don't expect Maxey to start right away.

"He hasn't played the position that long," Kansas City coach Herman Edwards told the Kansas City Star. "But he can run, he can jump, and he's not afraid to tackle."

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said it was an advantage that Maxey had to cover Sinorice Moss, Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow in practice before he become a starter.

"We're very happy with Marcus Maxey," Peterson said. "He's been a starting cornerback for a very fine football team and played against strong competition."

That confidence showed when he met the press Sunday in Kansas City.

"When you listen to him talk," Edwards told the KC Star, "he's got energy and he's got a little bit of a nervousness to him. And I think when you play that position that we're going to ask him to play, you'd better have that. You'd better have a little anxiety in your belly when you play corner and he has that."

NOTES - Maxey was Miami's fastest player in 2005, being timed at 4.25 seconds in the 40-yard dash. ... Maxey, who majored in psychology, graduated last summer. ... Maxey earned a national championship ring on the 2001 Miami team, even though he redshirted

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Maxey looks to be a CORNERBACK, who is perfectly suited to a COVER 2. This should help clear it up...

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=1162&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport

Here's a copy of the write-up on him from the link...

Pros:Maxey is a very athletic defender who played at a few positions, mainly as a nickel corner until his late career. He is one of the better corners in this draft when it comes to raw size, speed, leaping ability and overall athleticism. He has a nice level of development in press coverage, which will help him compete for a nickel corner role early in his career. His awareness in coverage must improve to play in nickel package, but he has the athletic ability to be a very good addition with fine potential.
Cons: He was slow to develop due to questionable instincts and the depth of the Miami backfield. He still needs a lot of reps because he is raw and inexperienced in all areas of cornerback technique. He is often late reacting and out of position for making a play. He has quick footwork but is not smooth and clean in his backpedal and will take some false steps.
Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds with a 41.5” vertical jump and a 10’9” broad jump. He did 14 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Maxey looks to be a CORNERBACK, who is perfectly suited to a COVER 2. This should help clear it up...

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=1162&PT=7&PR=2&type=scoutingreport

Pros:Maxey is a very athletic defender who played at a few positions, mainly as a nickel corner until his late career. He is one of the better corners in this draft when it comes to raw size, speed, leaping ability and overall athleticism. He has a nice level of development in press coverage, which will help him compete for a nickel corner role early in his career. His awareness in coverage must improve to play in nickel package, but he has the athletic ability to be a very good addition with fine potential.
Cons: He was slow to develop due to questionable instincts and the depth of the Miami backfield. He still needs a lot of reps because he is raw and inexperienced in all areas of cornerback technique. He is often late reacting and out of position for making a play. He has quick footwork but is not smooth and clean in his backpedal and will take some false steps.
Numbers: At the Combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds with a 41.5” vertical jump and a 10’9” broad jump. He did 14 reps in the 225-pound bench press.

I've seen plenty of reports that suggest he would be well suited for either cover 2 CB or FS.

milkman
05-03-2006, 10:55 AM

I posted this in the Pollard thread:

I look at Marcus Maxie, and I draw a comparison to Dwight Smith, who I believe played corner in college, and converted to safety in the pros.

After looking it up, here's something I found on Smith

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr01/defensivebacks-dwightsmith.asp

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 10:56 AM
After watching the predraft interview with Kuharich, Peterson, and Edwards, I've walked away feeling alot more informed on their game-plan. Edwards specifically stated you pick players that fit the scheme. He said you can have all-world talent, but if they don't fit the scheme, it's a waste of resources.

That being said, Maxey looks to fill an immediate need for nickle CB, with the hopes to become a STARTER as a cover 2 CB, IMO. Edwards knows the scheme they are running and they did their homework with taking a cover 2 corner in Maxey.

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I posted this in the Pollard thread:

After looking it up, here's something I found on Smith

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr01/defensivebacks-dwightsmith.asp
Smith has played CB AND safety in the NFL,s o he's a versatile player. He's also a player who comes from the SAME Bucs cover 2. Wink, wink.

el borracho
05-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Anyone care to explain the attributes of a "cover 2 cornerback?" What distinguishes a cover 2 cornerback from a regular cornerback?

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Anyone care to explain the attributes of a "cover 2 cornerback?" What distinguishes a cover 2 cornerback from a regular cornerback?

Mike from Burbank, CA: Could you please explain the “cover two” and the “3-3-5” defenses you mentioned in an answer?
Vic: Both are defenses geared primarily to stop the pass. “Cover two” is a base defense, whereas the “3-3-5” is more of a specialty defense. “Cover two” uses two cornerbacks up toward the line of scrimmage and two deep safeties in the middle of the field. In “cover two,” the safeties are to stay deep and take away the deep pass; the cornerbacks are used as extra men in run-support. The idea of the “cover two” is to discourage quarterbacks from throwing deep. “Cover two” teams don't give up big plays. They do, however, have trouble stopping the run because they don't get that eighth man in the box. The addition of Corey Simon and the Colts' improvement up front this year have allowed them to play “cover two” and still stop the run. Tony Dungy was able to play “cover two” in Tampa and still stop the run because he had Warren Sapp in the middle. The “3-3-5” is nothing more than an “odd nickel.” Usually, you would take out a linebacker and add a defensive back in “nickel,” which would give you a 4-2-5 look. The “3-3-5” takes out a lineman and adds a defensive back. The Jaguars can do that because Marcus Stroud and John Henderson are so good. The Jaguars couldn't use their “3-3-5” against the Colts this past Sunday, however, because the Colts opened up with two tight ends. That would've given the Colts seven blockers against six guys up front, three of whom would've been linebackers, and that would've created a major mismatch in the running game.

sedated
05-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Graduated in May 2005 with a degree in psychology and is now pursuing a second degree in criminology.

Doesn't everyone at Miami study criminology?

ct
05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Well, we wanted Huff, but he was already taken.

What's so special? Nothing. That's why he was a 5th round pick. :shake:

Exactly! 5th round pick, has potential, needs development, blah blah blah. If he gets it, great pick, if not...eh.

sedated
05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
The addition of Corey Simon and the Colts' improvement up front this year have allowed them to play “cover two” and still stop the run. Tony Dungy was able to play “cover two” in Tampa and still stop the run because he had Warren Sapp in the middle. The Jaguars can do that because Marcus Stroud and John Henderson are so good.

sounds like we need some good DT's to play the Cover 2.

uh-oh

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 11:27 AM
A CB from Miami? Who started in place Devin Hester? In the 5th round?-those are all good things. I don't know why anyone could complain about Maxey. He looks to be a good fit for what we are trying to do on defense.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
After watching the predraft interview with Kuharich, Peterson, and Edwards, I've walked away feeling alot more informed on their game-plan. Edwards specifically stated you pick players that fit the scheme. He said you can have all-world talent, but if they don't fit the scheme, it's a waste of resources.

That being said, Maxey looks to fill an immediate need for nickle CB, with the hopes to become a STARTER as a cover 2 CB, IMO. Edwards knows the scheme they are running and they did their homework with taking a cover 2 corner in Maxey.

I see what you're saying, and I know what the team has said, but...

enter the pick of Pollard.

I don't think we're gonna run a cover 2 as much as we thought. I think when Herm is talking about getting players that fit, he's talking about fitting GUNTHER'S system (and referring to the ridiculous way we used Kendrell Bell last year).

buddha
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I don't know why anybody would complain about him either. It doesn't really matter whether he ends up playing CB, nickle or safety, does it? It's not like we have enough quality at any of those positions. Maxey is a big kid who can run, jump and make plays. Playing DB at a place like Miami is something completely different. Their overall talent level is so high that he was competing with prep All-Americans just to see the field at any position. I think he was a great grab in the fifth round. I doubt that he'll see the field much in his first year, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a starter by year two at some position.

Ultra Peanut
05-03-2006, 11:51 AM
He's got a Psych degree? Maybe he was drafted to try to get into Simmmmmmmmmmms' head.

Maxey is right up there with Tamba... and Croyle... and Pollard... and Webb in that "pants-wettingly exciting picks" category.