PDA

View Full Version : Why did we ignore defensive tackle in this draft?

Count Zarth
04-30-2006, 03:42 PM
To me, Herm is sending the message that our current defensive tackles are good enough to get the job done.

banyon
04-30-2006, 03:43 PM
SIAVII and SIMS are teh bomb!1!

Demonpenz
04-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I don't mind not taking a DT. I am going to hold out hope simms will play upto his potential

jspchief
04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
To me, Herm is sending the message that our current defensive tackles are good enough to get the job done.I think part of it has to with the belief that Sims and Edwards will be solid if they're healthy.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I assume that the Chiefs assume that the current DTs, with a healthy Sims, another year for Siavii to prove himself and the addition of Ron Edwards would suffice, but that it was more important to bring a pass rush from Hicks' side of the defense, and shore up safety.

The edges and the deep secondary were the problems last year more than the middle of the Dline imo.

Bowser
04-30-2006, 03:45 PM
This is the year Siavii breaks out.

Coach
04-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Not to mention that the Chiefs got a old-school D-line coach in Krumrie.

HC_Chief
This is the year Siavii breaks out... of his spit collar

Completed your post :D

CoMoChief
I don't mind not taking a DT. I am going to hold out hope simms will play upto his potential

Yeah we all have been doing that the past 4 seasons. I think we all know how thats turned out. :shake:

Bowser
04-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Completed your post :D

Heh.

When you throw an 82 mph fastball straight down the pipe, you know it's gonna get swung on.... :)

Coach
04-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Heh.

When you throw an 82 mph fastball straight down the pipe, you know it's gonna get swung on.... :)

Unless you're Greg Maddux.

Spicy McHaggis
04-30-2006, 03:55 PM
There were a couple guys that I wish we had looked at in the 5th but then we wouldn't have had Maxey. If Herm felt strong enough to like this kid over the DT's on the board I'll trust him for now. Lewis and Jolly going right before us in the 6th kind of sucked though.

Oh and Eddie Freeman is averaging almost a tackle a game in the NFLE.

Bowser
04-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Oh and Eddie Freeman is averaging almost a tackle a game in the NFLE.

Nice.

So that's what in NFL terms? About 9 tackles for the whole season if he were a starter?

tk13
04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Well, Hali can play inside too. Herm seemed to make a point of that. Maybe we'll have a rotation of Sims/Edwards/Dalton on the first two downs... then on passing downs move Hali/Hicks or Sims on the inside with Bell/Hall/Allen rushing from the DE spot. We could even line Hali and Allen next to each other from time to time....something like that, you get the picture.

old_geezer
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
SIAVII and SIMS are teh bomb!1!

How true - the Fat Albert twins will clog up the middle of the D this year (or maybe just clog up their arteries with more twinkies). I'd bet on the latter.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd think it might make more sense to have a DE rotation of Allen, Hall, Wilkerson and Hali.....and have Hicks work into the DT rotation if he can, particularly on passing downs....especially if Browing indeed retires.

Thig Lyfe
04-30-2006, 04:25 PM
This is the year Siavii breaks out.

Fortunately he can afford Clearasil.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Siavii will be watching Ron Edwards play his position from the sidelines.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 04:28 PM
For me it's a simple case that we've spent way too many draft picks on DT's already. At some point we HAVE to pick other positions and hope some of these guys cut the mustard.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Did Siavii ever have the surgery DV claimed he was going to need on his knees?

Or will he just be fat, lazy, and injured again this year?

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I dont' know about surgery....he had tendonitis in his knees from what they said.....Rest, ice therapy and high dose anti inflamatories usually work.

I'll say I've had it in the knee and its pretty sore. I can see how that would affect play.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 04:39 PM
I thought DV said he had particles under his kneecap, or something, that only surgery would fix.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 04:44 PM
That might be true....If I heard it, I had forgotten.

That sounds shitty too.

DTLB58
04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
I'd think it might make more sense to have a DE rotation of Allen, Hall, Wilkerson and Hali.....and have Hicks work into the DT rotation if he can, particularly on passing downs....especially if Browing indeed retires.

I like this idea :clap:

Halfcan
04-30-2006, 04:51 PM
For me it's a simple case that we've spent way too many draft picks on DT's already. At some point we HAVE to pick other positions and hope some of these guys cut the mustard.

Simms and Junior need to earn their cash.

Halfcan
04-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Hicks at DT? Sounds like a real gamble.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Simms and Junior need to earn their cash.

Yep.

All the more reason not to draft another DT.

tk13
04-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Hicks at DT? Sounds like a real gamble.
He already plays some DT on passing downs. I like him as a DE on running downs. I think Hali will start taking up his time but the one thing Hicks is actually useful for is being a big DE on running downs.

If you really want to go crazy though, talking about fixing our pass rush...

Bell/Hali/Hall/Allen

DJ/Mitchell/Fox

Surtain/CB/safety/safety

Rush 4, drop 7 in zone... blammo. Wouldn't want to do that all the time but it's a Colts' type look you can throw out there.

Cormac
04-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Sims isn't going to be cut....yet.....and might have a good year if injury free
Edwards was brought in by his old line coach - might have upside
Dalton was resigned
Siavii is worth keeping for one more season, just to see what the new coaching staff can do
Wilkerson is serviceable and may still be improving
I'm assuming Browning will retire/be cut

Adding a DT in the draft would just have muddied the picture further, IMO. I would have liked to pick up a prospect, but our DT corps is full of prospects.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Sims, Edwards, Dalton could be a decent front line. Sims could be a star, but I doubt it. The other two are nice solid DTs.

milkman
04-30-2006, 05:34 PM
My guess.

They tried to call a couple of 'em totalk to them when the picks were up, but the fat bastards were to lazy to answer the phone, so they passed.

Count Zarth
04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
He already plays some DT on passing downs. I like him as a DE on running downs. I think Hali will start taking up his time but the one thing Hicks is actually useful for is being a big DE on running downs.

If you really want to go crazy though, talking about fixing our pass rush...

Bell/Hali/Hall/Allen

DJ/Mitchell/Fox

Surtain/CB/safety/safety

Rush 4, drop 7 in zone... blammo. Wouldn't want to do that all the time but it's a Colts' type look you can throw out there.

Screw Bell.

tk13
04-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Screw Bell.
Just don't drop him back in coverage as much. We totally, absolutely, completely misused him last year. He's better at attacking than reacting.

tiptap
04-30-2006, 05:52 PM
If Sims is healthy he will do fine. Dalton has been steady. The whole defensive line played well on defending the run. The problem came with trying to make the QB hurry just a little in making his 3rd down throw. We need a better pass rush without blitzing. I think when you add Edwards and Dixon from the NFLE will add competition for Siavii. If Browing competes we will get good 4 man tackle tandems. That will leave Wilkerson, Hall and the new guy to fight it out for the right side and Allen on the left with back up from the rest. I don't know if Hicks remains or not but I think we get an upgrade on the passing downs and the same play in the running game.
I am hoping our LBs are all healthy and get to use their speed. It could be a real active defense. But the proof in is the pudding.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Hicks.

To clarify..I'm talking using him as depth at DE...and on Running downs until Hali proves himself an every down player....then, use him at DT on passing downs, which I think was done a few times last year. He can play and contribute, he's just not a starting caliber DE in the NFL.

FAX
04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Just don't drop him back in coverage as much. We totally, absolutely, completely misused him last year. He's better at attacking than reacting.

I agree, Mr. tk13. If his shoulder is alright, let him defend the 1st and 2nd levels.

If his shoulder isn't in shape, well, there's a problem.

FAX

Nelson Muntz
04-30-2006, 08:07 PM
I assume that the Chiefs assume that the current DTs, with a healthy Sims, another year for Siavii to prove himself and the addition of Ron Edwards would suffice, but that it was more important to bring a pass rush from Hicks' side of the defense, and shore up safety.

The edges and the deep secondary were the problems last year more than the middle of the Dline imo.

Don't let common sense like that ruin goat****er's hate of Herm.