PDA

View Full Version : Grade the 2006 Draft

jspchief
04-30-2006, 04:03 PM
OK girls. Now's your chance to put your money where your mouth is and grade this draft. Yea, yea, I know. Can't grade a draft for another 3-4 years. We obviously don't know what any of these players can do, so we're talking about pure speculation.

Based on your expectations of what these guys can do for the Chiefs, where does this draft grade out?

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 04:04 PM
I give them a B+

Second day was outstanding.

jspchief
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm going with a B-

I thought day 1 was a B or B+, but I'm not as excited about day 2. I felt we passed on a few guys.

Overall, this draft has me about as excited as I can remember, mainly because of the Croyle pick.

JBucc
04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
yesterday it was a C now its a B+

Coach
04-30-2006, 04:16 PM
C+/B- depending on how you want to grade it. I'll say that it doesn't look sexy, but it doesn't look ugly either.

Hali - We need someone to supplant Hicks at LE and Carlos Hall can't do that. Based on his 11 sack season in the Big Ten last year and being a 1st team All American at his position in 2005 the ONLY REASON that he wasn't a top ten pick was because of his workouts.

To by quite honest, I don't care if he runs a 10 flat forty if the guy can pull 11 sacks in a 14 game season. The kid can play, so he's okay in my book. Especially with some of the jokers on our defense. And yes, he had 2 sacks last year in his junior year, but I do strongly suggest that you look at his TFL (tackles for losses) and tackles. They have increased from his Jr year to Sr year. Hopefully we'll have some T-shirts of "The Liberian Nightmare" soon.

Pollard - This one is confusing, yet at the same time, intruging. One thing is for certain that most experts agree that he is a solid tackling and weak on the coverage skills. Plus, let's see who's our safties on the roster:

Woods: Yeah, let's not go there.
Bartee: See above.
Wesley: Inconsistent at best, and is scared shitless to hit someone.
Knight: Seems to be the consistent one, but is getting old.

This one is a big ? mark. Of course, at the same time, when was the last time the Chiefs had a "headhunter" safety?

Croyle - Good pick. I wasn't confident on Whitehurst, and I would had perferred Croyle instead. Kid's a gamer, and does actually make smart decisions. It didn't help Croyle that the fact that Alabama had to revamp their O-line, along with the lines of losing their #1 WR to a broken leg.

Maxey - Not a bad pick. I would think he could be a CB or a FS, one of the two.

The other 3, meh, I'm not too sure about. Still a solid draft though.

banyon
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Rd. 1: Hali = C no one has been able to convince me that this guy wouldn't have been available at 30 and if not someone with similar ability would've been there. I really hope he works out, because pass rush is one of our weakest areas.

Rd. 2: Pollard = F this guy was a 4th rounder according to nearly everyone. more than that he duplicates positions we already have. Total reach.

Rd. 3: Brodie Croyle = A great value. First QBOTF that has a real shot to be a QBOTF. like his ability and heart.

Rd. 4: Herm = B+ considering the player the Jets picked here maybe I could rate this pick higher.

Rd. 5: Marcus Maxey = C FS candidate who is three steps slow. hopefully he will rock on SP teams.

Rd. 6. Tre Stallings/ Jeff Webb = A+ As you can see from my new avy, I like the Webb pick. (it's an A+++, which averages out with my B excitement over Stallings to an A+). Stallings looks like he mightbe molded Svitek style.

Rd. 7. Jarrad Page. = D- Did we really need another :cuss: safety? he's sure to be cut, but at least someone else might've had a better shotat the scout team.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
B....I don't know anything about the second day guys, so I can't really judge...love Hali and Croyle...obviously if we found a QB this will have been an A draft...I'm nervouse about the rest of our picks though, even our 2nd...

Thig Lyfe
04-30-2006, 04:21 PM
B

Not as exciting as getting DJ last year, but still pretty good picks. Some reaching occured, yes, but stealing Croyle made up for it. He's the best pick in this draft, IMO.

The Offense is not in the same decline we thought it was this time last year. In three years we could have Croyle, LJ, and Samie Parker leading a similarly prolific squad.

Tamba Hali is a very good pick, because he's finally a good lineman who also has work ethic and good character! Who woulda thunk such a thing existed! After fatasses like Sims and Siavii, and general failures like Eddie Freeman, Hali is a breath of fresh air and will have Eric Hicks's job by the end of the season. His presence can boost the pass rush, thus making the whole defense more efficient. Jared Allen plus Hali at his potential equals a potentiall top tier D-line.

I'm happy.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2006, 04:29 PM
I gave it a B. We had a good first day, while second day wasnt the best it was okay.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 04:29 PM
the meltdown factor alone pushes it into the A- range

Rausch
04-30-2006, 04:30 PM
B.

We had a chance to grab one of the top 4 CB's in this draft and I hate the idea of a 1 year Law deal or just going with what we've got.

Outside of that position we hit every need. What really impressed me was rounds 3-7. Each and every pick was solid and I think we got some steals...

HemiEd
04-30-2006, 04:35 PM
I give it an A-, I like them all.

Reaper16
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
B-
If only because we didn't have a 4th round pick to take advantage of. Ideally, it could have been managed better. I'm not sold on the 5th round pick. Also, we could have made a worthwhile pick in the 7th, but we chose a guy who might not make the team. (Whereas I think Gordon, Steve Williams or Dave Tollefson would have)

CoMoChief
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Hali...B-, I'm warming up more to this pick because I've seen a few videos of him and watched him play in the orange bowl. Hopefully Hicks is a goner.

Pollard...F, typical Kansas City Chiefs reach on the 2nd day. I knew something like this was coming. Darnell Bing would have been my choice instead. IMO we already have 2 safeties that can hit but cant cover ground in the secondary.

Croyle...A+, this is a steal IMO. This guy is a gamer and Im surprised he fell this far in the draft. This is our QBOTF if he can stay healthy.

Maxey...C-, I dont know too much about this guy. Why? Because he hardly played in any games. This is a project S in the works IMO. The only upside I see here is his size and the fact that he comes from the U, were the talent is at its best in NCAA football.

Tre Stallings, D+ Personally I wanted Rod Wright because as of now our DT's are the shittiest thing about our defense. We will never have a good pass rush from up the middle. Wright was a dominant player most of the time. We have a few OT's already and I think the way Svitek is panning out in NFLE, we wont need to address that, at least for now. That can wait til next season or when Raof retires and becomes our Oline coach :)

Jeff Webb,...A-, this is another sleeper pick IMO. He fell down to us and he could become a Keyshawn Johnson like WR for us. Im excited about him.

Page,...F....Why another safety??? This is another example of the usual PAC-10 suck off that Peterson drafts every year.

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Hali...B-, I'm warming up more to this pick because I've seen a few videos of him and watched him play in the orange bowl. Hopefully Hicks is a goner.

Pollard...F, typical Kansas City Chiefs reach on the 2nd day. I knew something like this was coming. Darnell Bing would have been my choice instead. IMO we already have 2 safeties that can hit but cant cover ground in the secondary.

Croyle...A+, this is a steal IMO. This guy is a gamer and Im surprised he fell this far in the draft. This is our QBOTF if he can stay healthy.

Maxey...C-, I dont know too much about this guy. Why? Because he hardly played in any games. This is a project S in the works IMO. The only upside I see here is his size and the fact that he comes from the U, were the talent is at its best in NCAA football.

Tre Stallings, D+ Personally I wanted Rod Wright because as of now our DT's are the shittiest thing about our defense. We will never have a good pass rush from up the middle. Wright was a dominant player most of the time. We have a few OT's already and I think the way Svitek is panning out in NFLE, we wont need to address that, at least for now. That can wait til next season or when Raof retires and becomes our Oline coach :)

Jeff Webb,...A-, this is another sleeper pick IMO. He fell down to us and he could become a Keyshawn Johnson like WR for us. Im excited about him.

Page,...F....Why another safety??? This is another example of the usual PAC-10 suck off that Peterson drafts every year.

Yeah, we could have drafted Bing who's smaller, slower, and not as good of a tackler. Not to mention that he's being moved to LB.

tk13
04-30-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm pleased. I don't know the right word for it.. I don't wanna say it was a "vanilla" draft, but it was kinda. Nothing overly flashy but nothing that makes you want to scream and throw an axe through Carl's head. I'd probably give it a B to B+.

I like where we went with it though. We went with guys who can hit as opposed to project athletes who can't.

I'm not surprised we drafted so many possible safeties, that's a big Herm thing. He's obviously trying to put a physical stamp on this team right away, he's not afraid to draft safeties in the late rounds and throw them in the fire. Any DB not named Surtain on this roster is not safe. I think all three DB's we drafted could make the team... I can see Herm doing that. We've got cap room to whack people. I could see him putting three completely different DB's out there with Surtain. I think this is going to be a very different defense.

NaptownChief
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I gave it a B plus...Pretty pleased with it all...Only pick I didn't like is Pollard in the 2nd...I think he was late 2nd to late 3rd round talent but his possible character/personality issues made him more of a 4th round pick that we reached on. Derrek Hagan at that pick would have me rating this draft in the A category. The Jeff Webb pick late has a chance to make missing on Hagan feel much better however. Maxey seems like a good roll of the dice. Page seems like a decent talent for the 7th round but due to the Pollard pick and all the other current safeties on the roster would make it unlikely for him to make the final roster. Dee Webb the CB from Florida who fell much farther than expected would have been my pick at that point assuming there isn't a major issue that we don't know about off the field that caused him to fall.

Over all quite pleased and I think Hali on the opposite side of Allen could make watching this defense fun again.

Demonpenz
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
the chiefs need some extra credit in the worst way.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm rather surprised/pleased. I'll give a B.

As my sig attests, the Hali, Croyle and Webb picks were excellent IMO.

While Pollard may have been a reach according to the "experts", I have a gut feeling he'll impress.

Really the only picks I feel were "wasted"......not picking Rod Wright in the 6th, and the pick of Page in the 7th....he'll never make the roster.

All in all, I thought CP adressed some glaring needs, and STOLE Croyle and Webb.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 06:08 PM
my initial thought is a B. Good value picks, at positions of need. I think Hali is a good choice to immediately improve the pass rush.

I also think Banyon is going to look like an ID-10-T in a couple of years and look forward to bringing this thread back up.

banyon
04-30-2006, 06:10 PM
my initial thought is a B. Good value picks, at positions of need. I think Hali is a good choice to immediately improve the pass rush.

I also think Banyon is going to look like an ID-10-T in a couple of years and look forward to bringing this thread back up.

That would mean we'd have a solid pass rush and strong hitting safety.

I'm willing to take that one for the team.

penchief
04-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm pleased. I don't know the right word for it.. I don't wanna say it was a "vanilla" draft, but it was kinda. Nothing overly flashy but nothing that makes you want to scream and throw an axe through Carl's head. I'd probably give it a B to B+.

I like where we went with it though. We went with guys who can hit as opposed to project athletes who can't.

I'm not surprised we drafted so many possible safeties, that's a big Herm thing. He's obviously trying to put a physical stamp on this team right away, he's not afraid to draft safeties in the late rounds and throw them in the fire. Any DB not named Surtain on this roster is not safe. I think all three DB's we drafted could make the team... I can see Herm doing that. We've got cap room to whack people. I could see him putting three completely different DB's out there with Surtain. I think this is going to be a very different defense.

Don't forget, there may still be some real talent lurking in our two or three previous drafts. Some of those kids (Parker, Sampson, Black, Thorpe, Hodge, Griffin, Fox, Grigsby, Wilkinson, Battle, Wilson, etc.) might be good players who can contribute to a winning team if given a real opportunity. For Edwards, tapping into the untapped potential of Vermeil Era draftees is a viable option in the quest to upgrade this team.

In a way, it might be like having twenty rookies if Edwards can promote the development of players from the past couple drafts instead of giving young players the LJ treatment (ala, Vermeil).

tk13
04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Don't forget, there may still be some real talent lurking in our two or three previous drafts. Some of those kids (Parker, Sampson, Black, Thorpe, Hodge, Griffin, Fox, Grigsby, Wilkinson, Battle, Wilson, etc.) might be good players who can contribute to a winning team if given a real opportunity. For Edwards, tapping into the untapped potential of Vermeil Era draftees is a viable option in the quest to upgrade this team.

In a way, it might be like having twenty rookies if Edwards can promote the development of players from the past couple drafts instead of giving young players the LJ treatment (ala, Vermeil).
I don't disagree with that at all. DV didn't leave us in a mess or anything like that. Herm has stuff to work with, I didn't mean to imply he's going to pick his guys over DV's guys, just he added some more bodies to the mix, and nobody should feel safe. I expect someone like Battle or Hodge will put up a good fight for that 2nd CB spot. I do think last year's safeties aren't locks for starting spots. I like Knight though, he's a smart player.

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't disagree with that at all. DV didn't leave us in a mess or anything like that. Herm has stuff to work with. I expect someone like Battle or Hodge will put up a good fight for that 2nd CB spot.
I heard on the radio this afternoon that the coaching staff really likes Hodge and they didn't think that he got a fair shake last year.

He'll get a long look this time around.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 06:25 PM

excellent point...we have alot of players to find out about...Parker and Fox, for example, could very well break out next year...I'm ready for camp!

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 06:29 PM
excellent point...we have alot of players to find out about...Parker and Fox, for example, could very well break out next year...I'm ready for camp!
I know that I've mentioned the radio a couple of times already but Fox was aparently the best LB at camp last year and big things are expected out of him this year. The knee injury wasn't even that serious and IR was a knee jerk reaction (get it).

I'm guessing that he'll be a starter and with that we'll have a lot of speed at LB'er.

Chiefnj
04-30-2006, 06:32 PM
I gave it a C.

I love the Hali pick, and like the Maxey pick. Other than those two I'm not overy impressed with the other choices. Very vanilla draft. We'll see in 3 years.

ChiefsCountry
04-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Actually ProFootball Weekly had Pollard rated as a second round pick.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I know that I've mentioned the radio a couple of times already but Fox was aparently the best LB at camp last year and big things are expected out of him this year. The knee injury wasn't even that serious and IR was a knee jerk reaction (get it).

I'm guessing that he'll be a starter and with that we'll have a lot of speed at LB'er.

were you listening to 610 about 30 minutes ago?

guys from WPI [insert joke here] were talking Fox..claimed he was best LB in Camp and one guy said "I stake my reputation on Fox, he will be a playmaker...he will replace what we lost with Donnie Edwards"

now, I don't know these guys, and I doubt they even have reputations to stake....but still, the conviction was good to hear, they had no doubts about Fox....

I've never seen it from him, but hopefully they're right.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 06:37 PM

guys from <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> [insert joke here] were talking Fox..claimed he was best LB in Camp and one guy said "I stake my reputation on Fox, he will be a playmaker...he will replace what we lost with Donnie Edwards"

now, I don't know these guys, and I doubt they even have reputations to stake....but still, the conviction was good to hear, they had no doubts about Fox....

I've never seen it from him, but hopefully they're right.

That was probably Mike Campbell. He said the same thing to me on the phone this week. He's pretty knowledgable.

Dunit35
04-30-2006, 06:46 PM
R1 Tamba Hali. (B+)
R2 Bernard Pollard (B-)
R3 Brodie Croyle (A)
R5 Marcus Maxey (C- maybe C)
R6 Tre' Stallings (D-)
R6 Jeff Webb (B)
R7 Jarrad Page (F)

Overall on a 4.0 scale I would give them 2.28. That last pick dropped the grade.

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 06:47 PM

guys from <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> [insert joke here] were talking Fox..claimed he was best LB in Camp and one guy said "I stake my reputation on Fox, he will be a playmaker...he will replace what we lost with Donnie Edwards"

I've never seen it from him, but hopefully they're right.That's where I got it.

I also remember the coaching staff talking up Fox last summer.

Logical
04-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Stealing from Dunit35 format
R1 Tamba Hali. (A-)10
R2 Bernard Pollard (C) 5
R3 Brodie Croyle (B+) 9
R5 Marcus Maxey (C-) 4
R6 Tre' Stallings (D) 2
R6 Jeff Webb (C) 5
R7 Jarrad Page (D-) 1

Overall on a 11.0 scale I would give them a 5.14 which is a C.

One of the best day 1 grades I can recall, but one of the worst day 2 grades.

Reaper16
04-30-2006, 06:56 PM
R1 Tamba Hali. (A-)10
R2 Bernard Pollard (C) 5
R3 Brodie Croyle (B+) 9
R5 Marcus Maxey (C-) 4
R6 Tre' Stallings (D) 2
R6 Jeff Webb (C) 5
R7 Jarrad Page (D-) 1

What don't you like about the Webb pick?

htismaqe
04-30-2006, 06:58 PM
R1 Tamba Hali. (A-)10
R2 Bernard Pollard (C) 5
R3 Brodie Croyle (B+) 9
R5 Marcus Maxey (C-) 4
R6 Tre' Stallings (D) 2
R6 Jeff Webb (C) 5
R7 Jarrad Page (D-) 1

I don't think your rating scale is quite objective enough. It needs to be weighted, considering Day 1 >>> Day 2.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Webb is the only day 2 pick that intrigues me.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 07:04 PM
A C for Webb. ROFL

Rain Man
04-30-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm not as optimistic as everyone else, I guess. I like Hali, though at that pick I probably would've taken Jimmy Williams, and like most other people I haven't got the slightest idea about any of the second-day players. My grimacing comes at the expense of the second and third-round picks. We drafted Larry Atkins and Matt Blundin, when we needed some people who could contribute immediately. We needed a wide receiver or a cornerback or another pass rusher.

Does anyone else worry about Gunther's insistence on large defensive backs, too? We drafted some hulking monsters in the backfield this year, per his preference, and the rules of the NFL have tilted the past couple of years toward small and quick defensive backs. (If you can't touch the receivers, you can't jam them.)

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Not every draft pick can be an immediate impact kind of guy.

The first two picks have a shot a being starters while the QB and the WR have a shot at being future starters.

This is a great draft IMO.

milkman
04-30-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not as optimistic as everyone else, I guess. I like Hali, though at that pick I probably would've taken Jimmy Williams, and like most other people I haven't got the slightest idea about any of the second-day players. My grimacing comes at the expense of the second and third-round picks. We drafted Larry Atkins and Matt Blundin, when we needed some people who could contribute immediately. We needed a wide receiver or a cornerback or another pass rusher.

Does anyone else worry about Gunther's insistence on large defensive backs, too? We drafted some hulking monsters in the backfield this year, per his preference, and the rules of the NFL have tilted the past couple of years toward small and quick defensive backs. (If you can't touch the receivers, you can't jam them.)

I would agree with you if we were talking about corners, but for Safety, size isn't as much as issue.

Logical
04-30-2006, 07:29 PM
What don't you like about the Webb pick?Just a very average player for a 6th round pick nothing to get upset about, nothing to get excited about.

The biggest failure of this draft was at CB where we basically completely whiffed (and picked a CB that probably would not even make a good safety, I hope I am wrong I like U players) and at DT where we did not even step up to the plate. Topped off with going way overboard on safeties it really brought the grade of this draft down.

milkman
04-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I decided to give this draft a B.

That grade is based somewhat on the assumption that Maxie will be a safety, that will eventually replace Wesley, and line up alogside Pollard, who will eventually replace Knight.

Logical
04-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't think your rating scale is quite objective enough. It needs to be weighted, considering Day 1 >>> Day 2.

It was weighted, any of those day 2 picks made on day one would have been a D or F.

Logical
04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
One more thing about Webb, he played in a pass happy offense, Tom Craft thought that he was the 2nd coming of Coryell and ran his offense that way, so the receievers numbers are inflated.

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 07:38 PM
One more thing about Webb, he played in a pass happy offense, Tom Craft thought that he was the 2nd coming of Coryell and ran his offense that way, so the receievers numbers are inflated.
That actually makes him sound better to me since it's a similar offense.

Do you prefer WR's from run happy offenses that have deflated numbers?

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Just a very average player for a 6th round pick nothing to get upset about, nothing to get excited about.

What?

6'2, 210, 4.4 40.

Yeah. Average. :rolleyes:

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 07:45 PM
The biggest failure of this draft was at CB where we basically completely whiffed and at DT where we did not even step up to the plate.

Not really.

No one we drafted after the first round was going to be better this year than Alphonso Hodge or Julian Battle. We need to find out what we have in these guys before we go willy nilly on more young corners.

The same applies for defensive tackle.

If the Chiefs thought they needed to draft DTs or CBs, they would. It's not like they forgot.

Cormac
04-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I decided to give this draft a B.

That grade is based somewhat on the assumption that Maxie will be a safety, that will eventually replace Wesley, and line up alogside Pollard, who will eventually replace Knight.
I agree with the above.

Besides that, I think we addressed need positions and am glad that we took a DE first, rather than a CB who would probably take 1-3 years to develop.

Pollard brings a tough attitude and great tackling, although I don't know how much he'll play this year???

Croyle is an exciting pick, and excellent value in the 3rd.

The Webb pick seems intriguing, but apart from his speed, his bio reads like he's a jackass. A couple of "underachievers" or players that don't seem all that coachable were picked up in this draft. That worries me a bit for the future, and I hope it doesn't show a pattern for Herm's tenure.

Overall I give it a B. I think we made some good decisions and executed a well thought out plan. It's not as exciting as last year with DJ, Surtain and Colquit, but it's certainly decent.

shaneo69
04-30-2006, 07:47 PM
My biggest problem with this draft was the Hali pick. I can't see him being better than Lawson or Kiwanuka. I think Lawson will be another Julian Peterson. But of course, he doesn't fit our system, because he looks like a 3-4 OLB even though he played DE in college. Fine, my next choice would've been Kiwanuka. He's been a stud for 3 years for a solid program. His stock dropped only after he stopped playing football games and scouts started over-analyzing the BS crap that scouts like to nitpick.

Hali just reminds me of another Eric Hicks. The "try hard" type. I think I'd rather have a guy like Derrick Thomas who may look like he's taking a few plays off, but can dominate at other times and change football games.

My other problem is the Croyle pick. I like him and hope he succeeds, but if you watched him play in college, he is not future starting material. You could've had Gradkowski, Betts, Pinegar, Omar Jacobs, etc. later in the draft, guys with comparable talent. Since we didn't have a 4th round pick, it was imperative that we got a defensive player like a Kyle Williams at that point, somebody who could come in and immediately join the DT rotation. I'd rather have a "try hard" guy at DT anyway to give Sims a kick in the ass, with a talent guy like Kiwanuka or Lawson at DE.

For those reasons, I give this draft a "D".

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 07:47 PM
One more thing about Webb, he played in a pass happy offense

San Diego State threw it 400 times last year.

Webb caught 92 of those passes.

His numbers weren't inflated.

Logical
04-30-2006, 07:50 PM
That actually makes him sound better to me since it's a similar offense.

Do you prefer WR's from run happy offenses that have deflated numbers?

No I prefer receivers that aren't catching constant 4 yard slants and outs, and has run up his numbers against some of the worst defensive team in Div 1

Coogs
04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
My biggest problem with this draft was the Hali pick. I can't see him being better than Lawson or Kiwanuka. I think Lawson will be another Julian Peterson. But of course, he doesn't fit our system, because he looks like a 3-4 OLB even though he played DE in college. Fine, my next choice would've been Kiwanuka. He's been a stud for 3 years for a solid program. His stock dropped only after he stopped playing football games and scouts started over-analyzing the BS crap that scouts like to nitpick.

Hali just reminds me of another Eric Hicks. The "try hard" type. I think I'd rather have a guy like Derrick Thomas who may look like he's taking a few plays off, but can dominate at other times and change football games.

My other problem is the Croyle pick. I like him and hope he succeeds, but if you watched him play in college, he is not future starting material. You could've had Gradkowski, Betts, Pinegar, Omar Jacobs, etc. later in the draft, guys with comparable talent. Since we didn't have a 4th round pick, it was imperative that we got a defensive player like a Kyle Williams at that point, somebody who could come in and immediately join the DT rotation. I'd rather have a "try hard" guy at DT anyway to give Sims a kick in the ass, with a talent guy like Kiwanuka or Lawson at DE.

For those reasons, I give this draft a "D".

I gave it a C because I like Croyle. If not for him, I agree totally. Hali reminds me a lot of Hicks. Not a good thing IMO.

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Fine, my next choice would've been Kiwanuka. He's been a stud for 3 years for a solid program. His stock dropped only after he stopped playing football games and scouts started over-analyzing the BS crap that scouts like to nitpick.
I guess that you missed the Sr Bowl.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Hali is not Hicks. Hali has quick feet and a good burst.

Hicks is a slow POS.

shaneo69
04-30-2006, 07:56 PM
I guess that you missed the Sr Bowl.

I don't throw out 3 years of top production for one week of practices.

tk13
04-30-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't throw out 3 years of top production for one week of practices.
Yeah but really the same thing happened to Hali.

Coogs
04-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Hali is not Hicks. Hali has quick feet and a good burst.

Hicks is a slow POS.

They looked a whole lot the same what I saw in the Senior Bowl game I just watched.

shaneo69
04-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Yeah but really the same thing happened to Hali.

Not really. Hali was a nondescript DT until he moved to DE his junior year, and he ended up with like 3 sacks in 2004. Suddenly he gets 11 sacks in 2005 (4 in one game), and he's the #20 pick in the draft.

But he's probably got Demoff as his agent.

tk13
04-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Not really. Hali was a nondescript DT until he moved to DE his junior year, and he ended up with like 3 sacks in 2004. Suddenly he gets 11 sacks in 2005 (4 in one game), and he's the #20 pick in the draft.

Yeah, but this is Joe Paterno we're talking about here. If anybody knows how he can take it very, very slow with younger players, it's a group of Chiefs fans.

Coogs
04-30-2006, 08:10 PM

Freeney and Suggs were both in the 20's their SR years and close to that their JR years. I just didn't see a pass rusher in the Senior Bowl inspite of his two sacks. One was a blow assignment by the RT and the other was nearly the only time the whle game he got any penetration at all.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 08:10 PM

I like how a guy's serious improvement at a new position is considered a negative.

He was twice as good his second year at DE as his first. And this is a cause for concern?

Works hard.
Learns fast.
Produces at highest level.

Verdict: Bust

shaneo69
04-30-2006, 08:14 PM
I like how a guy's serious improvement at a new position is considered a negative.

He was twice as good his second year at DE as his first. And this is a cause for concern?

Works hard.
Learns fast.

Never said he would be a bust. Just said I thought Lawson and Kiwanuka will be better players. I think Hali will probably be a 7-8 year starter like Hicks and put up about 6-7 sacks per year. I don't see him being a Pro Bowl player.

jiveturkey
04-30-2006, 08:15 PM

Works hard.
Learns fast.

Verdict: BustYou're talking to professional scouts. You might want to shut the hell up.

Tampa was interested in Hali a few picks after us and I've recently read that the Giants tried to trade up to our spot to take Hali as well. Kiwi was their 2nd choice but according to the Sr Bowl he was shaneo69's first choice.

Coogs
04-30-2006, 08:17 PM

Works hard.
Learns fast.

I think he is going to be a good player. Not a great player, but a good player. At #20, I was hoping for great. And maybe he will be. I don't watch many Penn State games. Only thing I have to go by is the Senior Bowl. And I know he was the defensive MVP, but that was very undeserving based upon what I saw.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Come on guys. We're missing the real teller.

Has the NFL ever drafted a player from Liberia that DIDN'T bust?

tk13
04-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Never said he would be a bust. Just said I thought Lawson and Kiwanuka will be better players. I think Hali will probably be a 7-8 year starter like Hicks and put up about 6-7 sacks per year. I don't see him being a Pro Bowl player.
I actually like Kiwi and think he's gonna be a good player, people would've flipped if we took him at 20 but I don't think I would mind, I think he maybe got nitpicked a bit too much. However I think sitting here and criticizing things Hali did during the Senior Bowl week while pimping Kiwi is kinda backhanded... Kiwi was terrible that week.

Munson
04-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I'm gonna give our draft a C+. Hali is the only player that will get significant playing time and become a starter after a few games. I'm starting to warm up to Pollard, but still think he was a bit of a reach. I would rather have picked Richard Marshall or Ashton Youboty. Croyle was a decent pick as a possible QBOTF, but won't be on the field any time soon. The only second day pick that is decent is Webb.

I think that we drafted too many safeties. It seems like half of our current roster is filled with safeties. I would liked to have seen one more CB and one DT drafted. Maybe we can land a nice UDFA.

shaneo69
04-30-2006, 08:22 PM
You're talking to professional scouts. You might want to shut the hell up.

Tampa was interested in Hali a few picks after us and I've recently read that the Giants tried to trade up to our spot to take Hali as well. Kiwi was their 2nd choice but according to the Sr Bowl he was shaneo69's first choice.

I like how every year after we draft a player higher than his ranking, there's always 3-4 teams who the Chiefs claim would've taken him with their next pick or tried to trade up to get him.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 08:22 PM
I think he is going to be a good player. Not a great player, but a good player. At #20, I was hoping for great. And maybe he will be. I don't watch many Penn State games. Only thing I have to go by is the Senior Bowl. And I know he was the defensive MVP, but that was very undeserving based upon what I saw.

I bet it was rigged.

Dammit CArl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I like how every year after we draft a player higher than his ranking, there's always 3-4 teams who the Chiefs claim would've taken him with their next pick or tried to trade up to get him.

I like how a player's production is proof that he can't produce.

It's like an enigma wrapped in a pastrami sandwich.

Coogs
04-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I bet it was rigged.

Hey man, I'm just telling you what I saw. He did virtually nothing for the entire game. Non-existant. A lot like Hicks.

Sorry, but that is what I saw.

Does that mean he is a bust. NO. But I just didn't see anything to make me think.... Man, this guy is a stud.

Now maybe after the first pre-season game, I will be touting him for the HOF. Who knows. :shrug:

tk13
04-30-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna give our draft a C+. Hali is the only player that will get significant playing time and become a starter after a few games. I'm starting to warm up to Pollard, but still think he was a bit of a reach. I would rather have picked Richard Marshall or Ashton Youboty. Croyle was a decent pick as a possible QBOTF, but won't be on the field any time soon. The only second day pick that is decent is Webb.

I think that we drafted too many safeties. It seems like half of our current roster is filled with safeties. I would liked to have seen one more CB and one DT drafted. Maybe we can land a nice UDFA.
That's how Herm is. Last year with the Jets his starting safeties were a 4th round rookie and a 5th round second year player. He's always seemed unafraid to draft DB's all over the board and throw them right in the fire. I really would not be surprised to see Pollard getting playing time this year.

Cochise
04-30-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't understand why Tamba Hali is seen by some as a 3-4 OLB trying to play DE, but many wanted us to pick someone who is seen as a 3-4 OLB trying to play DE that is 35 pounds lighter. They said they liked his numbers, his size, motor, motivation, attitude, work ethic. I'm fine with it.

I gave the draft a B+. I would have liked to see our second round safety be a corner, but they put a lot more work into the draft than I did, if he's the guy then he's the guy.

I am just glad that they weren't there for BAA in the first. They targeted their guys at positions of need and went out and got them.

BAA took a beating around here for a long time so this should make some people happy.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I don't understand why Tamba Hali is seen by some as a 3-4 OLB trying to play DE, but many wanted us to pick someone who is seen as a 3-4 OLB trying to play DE that is 35 pounds lighter. They said he liked his numbers, his size, motor, motivation, attitude, work ethic. I'm fine with it.

That's how I see it. Lawson was WAY too small for an everydown LDE in a 4-3. Kiwanuka was, too.

Hali not only is big enough but he has experience at defensive tackle. You don't waste a first rounder on a player that won't play on every down.

Rain Man
04-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Come on guys. We're missing the real teller.

Has the NFL ever drafted a player from Liberia that DIDN'T bust?

The Liberian Lightmare?

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
The Liberian Lightmare?

You coined it too early! Jinx!

Logical
04-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Not really.

No one we drafted after the first round was going to be better this year than Alphonso Hodge or Julian Battle. We need to find out what we have in these guys before we go willy nilly on more young corners.

The same applies for defensive tackle.

If the Chiefs thought they needed to draft DTs or CBs, they would. It's not like they forgot.

Believe what you will, I am not sure what has suddenly given you faith in Gunther, Herm and especially in Carl.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Believe what you will, I am not sure what has suddenly given you faith in Gunther, Herm and especially in Carl.

ROFL

I have not an ounce of faith in any of them when it comes to gameday coaching and decisions. I like the draft, though. Herm is slowly winning me over, I need to award points for this draft now.

greg63
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
...Going with a "C" over all for King Carl's outstanding aptitude to be average in the draft.

morphius
04-30-2006, 09:21 PM
I sadly don't know who any of these players are, really. I do like that we didn't take one of the DL from the team that had 3 of theirs drafted early. We tried something similar to Sims, and it really hasn't worked out.

A safety who is a solid tackler is a HUGE improvement, even if he is a step slower then some of the others, its not a big deal if he can take the right angles and actually tackle the guy.

I like that we did get a young QB that people seem to be high on. Especially with Edwards and his willingness to actually work with the young guys. I'm a big fan of bringing in the slightly less expierenced guys over mediocre one time starters who were cut because they were bad.

Oh well, I guess I will give them a B, but it really doesn't mean squat.

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I think you guys comparing Hali to Hicks should take the plastic sack off your head.....

Hicks was a non-descript RFA who had to put on weight and work his way into the lineup.

The only comparison between the two is that they possibly are both overachievers.

I remember alot of people talking trash about the Allen pick in the 4th round...small school, week bench press, unimpressive 40 time...

Enough workout warriors....give me Motivated, determined FOOTBALL Players. Its only a bonus to me if they've been chased by tigers or angry men in wedding dresses and AKs.

How many posters, bashing the picks have seen ANY of them play?

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 10:01 PM
I think you guys comparing Hali to Hicks should take the plastic sack off your head.....

Hicks was a non-descript RFA who had to put on weight and work his way into the lineup.

The only comparison between the two is that they possibly are both overachievers.

I remember alot of people talking trash about the Allen pick in the 4th round...small school, week bench press, unimpressive 40 time...

Enough workout warriors....give me Motivated, determined FOOTBALL Players. Its only a bonus to me if they've been chased by tigers or angry men in wedding dresses and AKs.

How many posters, bashing the picks have seen ANY of them play?

I know someone who saw the Senior Bowl.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah, we could have drafted Bing who's smaller, slower, and not as good of a tackler. Not to mention that he's being moved to LB.
instead of being a smartass bleeding little gunt, why don't you just post your grade opinions and move the **** on.

wannebe Rufus dawes fugtard :shake:

Iowanian
04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Good ole Laz...always there to bitch when the room gets too quiet.

Your clam trail is strewn throughout the room.

the Talking Can
04-30-2006, 10:07 PM
instead of being a smartass bleeding little gunt, why don't you just post your grade opinions and move the **** on.

you should pull a Kotter and stalk him offline too...

penchief
04-30-2006, 10:10 PM

Maybe size doesn't matter in Herm's scheme. Other than the added intimidation factor, body size may be less important than ball skills and field smarts. At the risk of sounding like a Penn State homer, I would have loved to have had both Calvin Lowry and Alan Zemaitis for Herm's secondary.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Rd. 1 - DE Tamba Hali B+

wish we would of traded down first ... but Hali is a guy i wanted and like. he reminds me of jevon kearse for some strange reason ... maybe it's just the way he runs or something. i expect him to kick Hicks to the curb before game 4.

Rd. 2 - SS Bernard Pollard D

blech ... don't know much about him. but if a strong safety was the BAA we should of moved up or down. New England moves up and grabs chad jackson ... we stay put and add yet another strong safety to our roster.

Rd. 3 - QB Brodie Croyle A

nice pick/nice value ... pretty much exactly want i projected and wanted the chiefs to do in round 3. i think he's underrated and if he can stay healthy he is a viable starting NFL quarterback. BTW he beat out Vince young and company in the football challenge long distance throw competition with a 76 yard thrown. :)

Rd. 4 - Coach Herman edwards C

bleh ... so far he seems like another hot air blowing, arrogant doink. I just hope he's better at his job, than the other hot air blowing "king" we already have.

Rd. 5 - CB Marcus Maxey B-

would of been a starter at 80% of colleges ... got stuck in miami. Still looks major raw imo though.

Rd. 6 - OG Tre Stallings B

:shrug: ... But the Chiefs seemed to know what they are doing when it comes to offensive lineman.

Rd. 6 - WR Jeff Webb B

Good size,Good speed ... good production. we'll have to see what happens.

Rd. 7- SS Jarred Page D

another SS ... wtf

Mr. Laz
04-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Good ole Laz...always there to bitch when the room gets too quiet.

Your clam trail is strewn throughout the room.

oh good... another ole' school BBS punk who's never met a poster he didn't want to abuse.

such a warm feeling you provide

Logical
04-30-2006, 10:35 PM

Rd. 4 - Coach Herman edwards C

blech ... so far he seems like another hot air blowing, arrogant doink. I just hope he better at his job than the other hot air blowing "king" we already have.
...Rd. 7- SS Jarred Page D

another SS ... wtf

Completely agree on these two. Not that different on the rest.

KansasCityChiefs
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
<u>Round 1</u> - <i>Tamba Hali (Defensive End)</i>: I like his upside, he's a raw athlete that can either turn into something special (Pro-Bowler) or can stay at the same level he's at right now. I think it was a bit of a reach, but not one that can be questioned. <b>Grade: B</b>

<u>Round 2</u> - <i>Bernard Pollard (Safety)</i>: I don't really like this pick because Pollard doesn't really have much potential to work with. He's known for head-hunting and that's about it. He doesn't have the covering skills that can make him a reliable starter in the future, so this seems somewhat like a pick that could've been used elsewhere. <b>Grade: D+</b>

<u>Round 3</u> - <i>Brodie Croyle (Quarterback)</i>: Love this pick, but I don't love it as much as some on this board. He is not the next Tom Brady. He is not the next Joe Montana. I don't think he is ever going to be a perennial Pro-Bowler, but I do think he will provide some solid years under center for KC. Good value pick though in the 3rd round. <b>Grade: A-</b>

<u>Round 5</u> - <i>Marcus Maxey (Cornerback/Safety)</i>: Has good size at 6-2 almost and 200 pounds. A bit slow at 4.5 and sounds to me like he is going to be a project, which usually never work out. Too many questions to justify this pick. Might be decent in ST because he has good instincts and is a good tackler, but I don't ever seeing him getting much time at CB or S. <b>Grade: C-</b>

<u>Round 6</u> - <i>Tré Stallings (Tackle/Guard)</i>: This was a bit of a reach, he was projected to be a FA, so this made me question even furthur why we didn't get Rodrique Wright at this position. He has good size and the brains to be a decent backkup, but is a big softy. Said not be very strong and isn't very quick and his work ethic is questioned, so this is not a very impressive pick to me. <b>Grade: D</b>

<u>Round 6</u> - <i>Jeff Webb (Wide Receiver)</i>: Great value pick here, but it would've been an even bigger steal if we took Nance. I still can't believe he wasn't drafted at all. I like Webb because he has good size (6-2 210) and speed (4.4) and looks like he can adjust to balls really well. Plays strong and reminds some people of a little bit faster Keyshawn Johnson. The only downside I can see in this pick is he doesn't run routes very well, he seems pretty cocky and his work ethic is questioned also. I don't think this is as good a pick as some people do on here too. People act like he's the Chiefs savior at WR and the heir to Eddie Kennison. Settle down people, he might be a solid starter, but he's not going to come in and dominate. <b>Grade: B</b>

<u>Round 7</u> - <i>Jarrad Page (Safety)</i>: This was one of those picks where you say, "Why did we even draft him?" There is slim to none chances of this guy making the roster because we have about three or four other guys that are clones of him: slow and can't cover. The only chance of this guy making any NFL roster is if he switches to a backer, because 4.7 speed won't cut it at safety. <b>Grade: F</b>

Overall, as you can see, I wasn't as high on this draft as some people are. I still think it was overall solid, but not spectactular.

Review:

<u>First Day</u>: <b>B</b> (Pollard picks drops it down)
<u>Second Day</u>: <b>C-</b> (Webb is the only reason the grade is salvaged)
<b><u>OVERALL</u>: C+</b>

Thoughts and reactions are welcomed.

Douche Baggins
04-30-2006, 11:24 PM
He is not the next Joe Montana.

Yes he is.

Ultra Peanut
05-01-2006, 02:54 AM
I really, really like it.

1. Tamba Hali - "Reach" or not, we got the best possible player we could have drafted at #20, in my eyes. A
2. Bernard Pollard - Reach? Probably. Immensely intriguing prospect? You betcha. B-
3. Brodie Croyle - Amazing value pick, and a legit QBOTF. Basically, if he can avoid getting hurt, he's going to be a very good QB. In the immortal words of Michael Bluth, "You've gotta lock that down." A+
5. Marcus Maxey - Quite possibly our FSOTF. Not experienced, but he's impressed quite a lot in his limited action. He beat out second-rounder Devin Hester for a starting spot at Miami, and sounds like he was made for the Cover Two. B
6a. Tre Stallings - I'd have rather had a DT like LeKevin Smith, but for what he is, he seems like someone who could develop into a nice OG or even RT prospect. Also, calling a sixth-rounder a reach is patently ludicrous. C+
6b. Jeff Webb - A big, reasonably fast (when motivated?) receiver; he honestly does seem to play in that Randy Moss, "la la la I guess I'll catch this" sort of mold, but I do believe he's got skills. Can they pay the bills? We'll find out. B+
7. Jarrad Page - After being initiallly disappointed, I actually think he's a decent enough seventh-rounder and am apparently higher on him than most. B-

Draft Philosophy - By and large, the selections are productive football players rather than guys with great measurables who could someday be productive football players. This is a far more pragmatic approach, and gives me great hope for these players and this team. A

Overall (not an average): B+

Ultra Peanut
05-01-2006, 03:12 AM
yet another strong safetyYet another SS? Do we even have any beyond Knight?

would of been a starter at 80% of colleges ... got stuck in miami.Technically speaking, he was a starter at Miami.

King_Chief_Fan
05-01-2006, 06:26 AM
They did nothing to help themselves in the DB or WR position...at least not for this coming season. Hali was a bit of a reach, but a good pick. Pollard a C, Croyle a B......rest are C's.

Extra Point
05-01-2006, 06:29 AM
AOL Sports article gave KC a D, the lowest grade of all teams. We have consistently drafted poor at QB. Why do anything different?

jspchief
05-01-2006, 06:32 AM
We have consistently drafted poor at QB. Why do anything different?We have also consitently drafted poor at DT and CB, so I assume you didn't want us to take a DT or CB either.

What a f*cking ridiculous line of reasoning. Dur, 4 coaches and 15 years ago, we bombed on a QB, therefore we can't draft QBs.

Ultra Peanut
05-01-2006, 06:33 AM
It really does suck that we couldn't get 8 new starters for 2006 through the draft. I'm revising my grade to an F.

StcChief
05-01-2006, 06:44 AM
R1 Tamba Hali. (A-)10
R2 Bernard Pollard (B) 6
R3 Brodie Croyle (B+) 9
R5 Marcus Maxey (C-) 4
R6 Tre' Stallings (D) 2
R6 Jeff Webb (C) 5
R7 Jarrad Page (D-) 1

Overall 'B' hopefully the one or two of the 2nd day guys will surprise...

jspchief
05-01-2006, 07:01 AM
My own thread, and I haven't even broken it down yet.

Tamba Hali: B Solid value for the pick, but I don't think Hali will ever be spectacular. Solid DE, that will be a nice compliment to Allen, and quick upgrade over Hicks.

Bernard Pollard: C Based on talent alone, He might be a B+. But I do think it was a reach in round 2, and I also don't think he's the type of safety we needed. Don't hate the pick, but do think there other more enticing options.

Brodie Croyle: A We haven't QB on this team that got me this excited since never. I believe he's the prototype NFL QB, with both tangibles and intangibles. The one knock is an injury history that I hope is more about bad luck than a pattern. Unbeateble value with this pick.

Marcus Maxey B- You know if he was starting in Miami, that he has the athleticism. The biggest knock I see is he's a bit raw, but I still think he's a good candidate to compete with our young CBs for a roster spot.

Tre Stallings: C+ I like the durability and experience, but question if maybe he's already hit his ceiling. I do like that he's played both tackle spots and projects to guard, He should be a good utility lineman. Typical late Chiefs pick, I'll hope out staff can work the magic.

Jeff Webb: B+ Relevant to where he was drafted, I think it's a solid pick. The guy was productive all three years of play, growing with experience. The biggest knock is level of competition, I'll let Jared Allen comment on that knock. Certainly more upside than guys like Horn or Boe.

Jarrad Page: D- I assume this was CP's obligatory PAC 10 pick. He doesn't excite me in terms of ability, and I don't think it was a need. Just kind of a head scratcher pick.

Brock
05-01-2006, 07:22 AM
They looked a whole lot the same what I saw in the Senior Bowl game I just watched.

I love how people can determine the arc of a player's career by watching a college exhibition game.

ct
05-01-2006, 07:26 AM
I said B. We got a pass-rusher, actually an all-around, every-down DE, and a high potential QBOTF. That in itself qualifies for a B-. Also got 3 prospects in the secondary, 2 of whom I look to contribute immediately on ST, and a decent WR prospect.

No top quality DB prospect keeps this initial grade from being an A.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 07:28 AM

I already posted it on other threads, as if you care. You MIGHT read it, just so you could make sure and whine about it.

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 08:11 AM
I give the Chiefs a B+

1. Hali- a true 4-3 DE that will work perfectly with Allen. He gives the Chiefs a good run defender that will get to the QB. Hicks gets to be a what he was made to be, a good backup.

2. Pollard- My favorite pick. He looks like the SS the Chiefs have needed for years. Big, strong, and decent speed IMO he pushes Knight to the bench.

3. Croyle- QBOTF an absolute steal. He has everything a QB needs to have to be successful. When Green is ready to retire Croyle will be ready to step in and be a good QB. In a few years he might be the best QB out of this draft.

4. Herm- So far I love his vision and I am 100% behind him. He drafts football players that have speed and love to hit. For once I am excited about the defense again.

5. Maxey-I think Foxsports said it best. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5558260
Herman Edwards will eventually turn this superior athlete into a superior cornerback by teaching him proper fundamentals. One warning, though: Maxey will be toasted like an almond if he has to play a lot this year.

6. Stallings- Looks like another OL project which the Chiefs are good at developing.

6. Webb- This is a great pick. Size, speed, hands he has it all. He is the type of receiver the Chiefs have been lacking. I think he can contribute right away and maybe beat out Thorpe for the #3 spot.

7. Page- I dont know much about him but safety is a huge need. If he can make the team and contribute on special teams he will be a good 7th rd pick.

Lzen
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM

That argument sounds eerily similar to the one people were making about Larry Johnson when we drafted him. "His numbers were inflated. He had huge games against bad teams."

Iowanian
05-01-2006, 09:28 AM
oh good... another ole' school BBS punk who's never met a poster he didn't want to abuse.

such a warm feeling you provide

Not true. I like lots of posters, its just that I find you to be a special level of whining puss.

Extra funny following this post from you

Coogs
05-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I love how people can determine the arc of a player's career by watching a college exhibition game.

I didn't say he was going to be a bust. His play during the one game I have seen him play was very uninspiring at best. Hell, even a Penn Stat fan said as much about his performance in that game.

Dave Lane
05-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Parker gave it an A because they picked two safeties. If they had picked 3 he'd have made it an A+

ROFL

Dave

el borracho
05-01-2006, 10:05 AM
Admittedly, I am no expert but since you asked...

For now I would give this draft a C+. On paper it looks like we took good value but didn't get many guys who are going to start soon nor any guys that make you think, "Wow! I can't believe we got that guy!" My biggest concerns are that we probably reached a bit on the early picks (biggest no-no in the draft is reaching early) and that we didn't even bother to draft a DT (our biggest concern, IMO) and the only CB (second biggest concern, IMO) we took was Maxey in the 5th. These picks may turn out to be good value/ great players (a good thing) but I don't see that we helped ourselves much for this year (a bad thing).

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Another thing I really like about this draft is all the players played for programs from big-time conferences. This should speed up the transition to the pro game. It seems that Herm and Co. stayed away from big projects and went with solid football players. Best draft in years IMO.

htismaqe
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Parker gave it an A because they picked two safeties. If they had picked 3 he'd have made it an A+

ROFL

Dave

Bleh...

1) They drafted ONE safety. Jarrad Page won't even make the team.

2) They drafted a SS instead of a FS.

So overall, I give them a B, but the Pollard pick definitely produced alot of bitching, which raises my enjoyment of this draft into the A- range...

Iowanian
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
The fact that they drafted an obvious SS made me think they've got a Current roster plan at FS.

I'm really hoping that sollution isn't Wesley.

Logical
05-01-2006, 08:43 PM

4. Herm- So far I love his vision and I am 100% behind him. He drafts football players that have speed and love to hit. For once I am excited about the defense again.
....You lost me on that, not a single player drafted was noted for being fast, in fact they are all noted for being slow for their positions.

Logical
05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Another thing I really like about this draft is all the players played for programs from big-time conferences. This should speed up the transition to the pro game. It seems that Herm and Co. stayed away from big projects and went with solid football players. Best draft in years IMO.Sorry wrong again, San Diego State is not in a major conference and is definitely not a big time program.

Chiefnj
04-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Wow, people were pretty hostile about picking Page.

HolmeZz
04-27-2007, 11:49 AM
1) They drafted ONE safety. Jarrad Page won't even make the team.

X

Kclee
04-27-2007, 11:57 AM
X

Heh. Come on, give the guy a break. Unless someone said our 7th round pick would be good, they shouldn't be busting balls. :p

Douche Baggins
04-27-2007, 11:58 AM
ROFL
Herm is slowly winning me over

:)

Douche Baggins
04-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Jarrad Page won't even make the team.

Well, well. A chink in his armor.

Reaper16
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Wow, people were pretty hostile about picking Page.
I know I was dead wrong about him. He was unimpressive to me in the college games I watched him in, and apparently so to a lot of others here. I can say that I'm glad to be wrong.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2007, 12:07 PM

wow .... some anger issues

Chiefnj2
04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
BUMP

Woodrow Call
04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
God, I'm an idiot.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I'd say my C+ was pretty accurate. Unfortunately, we cut Pollard, which means the grade should really be a C-

Rain Man
04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I'd say my C+ was pretty accurate. Unfortunately, we cut Pollard, which means the grade should really be a C-

So in other words, you're saying that I was exactly right.

(Just don't look up my post where I wanted Jimmy Williams over Tamba Hali.)

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2010, 09:09 PM

Yeah, but he's still an NFL starter, so C+ is probably accurate.

I rated it a B+, mainly because of Croyle and Page. I was really excited about Croyle and I don't think the book has been shut on his career.

I knew about Page living in Pac-10 country and for a 7th rounder, he's definitely exceeded his draft position.

Someone let me know when Tyson Jackson equals #3 overall.

KCwolf
04-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Pretty much can qoute this year in and year out

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2010, 09:10 PM
So in other words, you're saying that I was exactly right.

(Just don't look up my post where I wanted Jimmy Williams over Tamba Hali.)

Jimmy Williams over Tamba "Flatfoot" Hali?

Baaalaaaasphemy.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Pollard was a good pick. The fact that he was cut doesn't affect the fact that he is a solid starter in the league.

Tamba Hali is a very good pick. Good starter. Good chance to make the pro bowl in the next couple years.

Brodie Croyle- Solid backup QB in the third round. Could be a very good starter if he has gotten over the injury bug. I think he will end up having a decent career when he leaves KC. I imagine he will win the starting job elsewhere.

Marcus Maxey-bust, but it is a fifth round pick... not going to worry too much about picks this late.

Tre Stallings- Two years service. About average for a sixth round pick.

Jeff Webb-three years service, above average for a sixth round pick.

Jared Page- Decent starter, great pick for seventh round.

Hali, Pollard, Page, Croyle and Jeff Webb all graded out above average for where they were taken int he draft. Maybe none is a 'great' player..... but value for round/position taken.... pretty good top to bottom in that draft.

I think you should look at the actual draft history of the entire league more. I think it would give you more perspective about what is realistic when it comes to the draft.

BossChief
04-28-2010, 09:21 PM

The curse was in effect back then huh?

Please tell me this guy didn't grade this years draft and explain why he graded it as such...

I like "The Liberian Nightmare" nickname...

DaneMcCloud
04-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I think you should look at the actual draft history of the entire league more. I think it would give you more perspective about what is realistic when it comes to the draft.

Sorry for bypassing all of your other worthless musings, but the bottom line is if the Chiefs want to compete for a championship year in and year out, they'll need to draft MUCH better than they did in 2006.

Regardless of what the other 31 teams do in the draft each year.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry for bypassing all of your other worthless musings, but the bottom line is if the Chiefs want to compete for a championship year in and year out, they'll need to draft MUCH better than they did in 2006.

Regardless of what the other 31 teams do in the draft each year.

I don't disagree with this statement. These kind of drafts don't set the Chiefs back though. In fact, the only reason the Chiefs aren't further along is a completely new coaching staff that runs a completely different system on both sides of the ball.

I think teams need to hit on 'stars' at least every third year. Other than that, a draft like 2006 is a decent draft. Anytime you draft three solid starters in a draft.... it is a decent draft.

The point is that they weren't 'bad' picks. Just not great picks.

thurman merman
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Jeff Webb sucks.

Reaper16
04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
I put down B-, which was very optimistic. I should have graded it into the C range.

Farzin
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I was reading all these posts on page one and saw really strange grades. Then I realized the time this was posted. Lol.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I really think my B grade in this draft was justified and still applies. 3 starters came out of this draft. Sure, we cut one of them, but he went on to start and excel with his new team. One of those starters was a 7th round pick and is still on the team starting.

Couple of guys didn't last long but they were drafted late. This was actually one of our better drafts recently. Not saying a ton, but this was better than average. Particularly for the Chiefs.