PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs aren’t done making moves

RedThat
05-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Chiefs aren’t done making moves
Edwards: Team will look different by September
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The annual talent grab known as the NFL’s collegiate draft is over, and the Chiefs fortified themselves with four players Sunday and a total of seven over the weekend.

Their roster still has some holes, most notably at cornerback, where only Patrick Surtain stands out among candidates for two starting jobs. So the Chiefs aren’t quite ready to load up the truck and head for training camp in Wisconsin.

They’ve still got some work to do.

“The team you see practicing today, or (in three weeks) when we go to minicamp, that won’t be the same team that lines up in September,” coach Herm Edwards said. “A lot of things can happen between now and September.”

One of those things could be the signing of veteran cornerback Ty Law. The Chiefs drafted only one cornerback, Miami’s Marcus Maxey, in the fifth round.

Discounting Maxey’s ability to play immediately probably wouldn’t be wise given Edwards’ record in rapidly developing defensive backs while he was with the Jets.

Law, a four-time Pro Bowler, is more of a sure thing. He signed with Edwards and the Jets last season and tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson indicated he probably would be speaking with the agents for Law as soon as today.

In the meantime, the Chiefs have at cornerback Surtain, Maxey and a cast of veterans that includes former Broncos starter Lenny Walls.

“For me to say what our corner situation is … I haven’t seen our guys practice yet,” Edwards said. “We haven’t even had a minicamp yet. Ask me that in the summer sometime when these guys start practicing and I can evaluate them on the field.

“I’m not a panic kind of guy. I don’t throw my hands up and say, ‘We should have got a corner.’ We’ll be fine. I’m a big believer that you play with the players you have. Those are the players you have to coach. You can’t coach the players that ain’t here. You coach those players to the best of their ability and then you go play.”

The Chiefs on Sunday also drafted Mississippi guard Tre’ Stallings and San Diego State wide receiver Jeff Webb in the sixth round and UCLA safety Jarrad Page in the seventh.

They join Saturday’s picks of Penn State defensive end Tamba Hali, Purdue safety Bernard Pollard and Alabama quarterback Brodie Croyle to give the Chiefs a draft class tilted toward defense.

Hali figures to play immediately, at least as a reserve. Pollard also could challenge for a starting spot.

“We’ve created competition within the football team with young players,” Edwards said. “You need to do that.”

The Chiefs believe the four defensive players fit the mold preferred by Edwards and coordinator Gunther Cunningham. They are physical players who like to hit and tackle.

“It’s not a natural thing to do to tackle,” Edwards said. “It’s really not, if you think about it. There’s two ways to tackle. You can kind of tackle him and grab him or you can run through him.

“These guys run through guys. They get their pads dirty, they get their jerseys dirty. I’m not saying we don’t have those type of players on our team. I think when you infuse them with more of those type of players, you become more physical in your presence when you’re playing defense.”

Webb, who played with Edwards’ son Marcus in college, gives the Chiefs another developmental wide receiver. Their one established wide receiver, Eddie Kennison, is 33, and the Chiefs lost veterans Marc Boerigter and Chris Horn to free-agency, but they don’t appear concerned about their quality and depth at the position.

“I’ve never been involved with a football team — Philadelphia, Tampa, New York — that had an offense that could score as many points as this offense has done the last five years,” Edwards said. “Hopefully that answers your question about wide receiver.”

The Chiefs did not draft a running back to spell Larry Johnson. Their reserves are Quentin Griffin, Dee Brown and, perhaps, Priest Holmes.

“We’ll assess that as we go,” Edwards said. “We don’t know the answer to that right now.

BigMeatballDave
05-01-2006, 10:00 AM
You know, I was just thinking, "Man, we need another Law thread."

Mr. Laz
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
we'll see

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
For the 1st time in the 2 year saga of the Chiefs and Ty Law I honestly feel he will be a Chief. I like the youth movement but if Herm feels no CB is ready to start Law would be a good stopgap.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
For the 1st time in the 2 year saga of the Chiefs and Ty Law I honestly feel he will be a Chief. I like the youth movement but if Herm feels no CB is ready to start Law would be a good stopgap.

it would sure explain their attitude this offense

cutting cornerbacks ... saving cap room ... not drafting a corner high

RedThat
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
You know, I was just thinking, "Man, we need another Law thread."

We do. It's better than some of the gassy threads, and topics discussed here.

buddha
05-01-2006, 10:27 AM
It makes sense. If you know that Herm and Law have a good relationship, and that Law had a great year under Herm in NY, then it does free KC up to focus on other positions of need early in the draft. I thought it was baffling that they didn't look for a CB prior to round five, but if Law comes to KC, it will make sense.

Every time Herm mentioned that KC already has 12 CBs on the roster, I grew more and more suspicious. Having 11 CBs who can't start is the same as having NO corners.

Skip Towne
05-01-2006, 10:35 AM
If we get him he will take the AFC West to Law school.

Lzen
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up for Law this time around. If it happens, I will be ecstatic. But I've seen this dog and pony show before. We'll see.

CupidStunt
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
If they can give him a deal ala Charles Woodson (but perhaps not so lucrative) that pays him large base salaries but no huge signing bonuses, i'm all for it.

Having the ability to cut him after one or two years without getting a big cap penalty would be awesome. And, for his services, he should be paid appropriately with substantial base salaries.

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Who else is after Law? Seattle? NE?

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Ahmed Plummer is the only other CB I could see left as a FA option.

KevB
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM

Seattle just drafted cornerback Kelly Jennings in the first round, so I'd think their interest is waning.

RedThat
05-01-2006, 10:57 AM

At this point, I don't think anybody is. Seattle did express some interest and was the last team I heard, but they drafted Kelly Jennings.

They pretty much solidified their CB situation with Jennings, Herndon, Trufant, and Babineaux. I think Law is out of the picture in Seattle.

*No competition is a great thing.

PastorMikH
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Add Law, and our shakey D, starts to get pretty solid. And if Hali can either push Hicks to step up his pass rush, or take his job, the push from both ends of the line could make a big difference as well.

Cochise
05-01-2006, 11:05 AM
If they can give him a deal ala Charles Woodson (but perhaps not so lucrative)

Why on earth would Ty Law get a less lucrative deal than Charles Woodson? He's 5 times the player.

Chris Meck
05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Why on earth would Ty Law get a less lucrative deal than Charles Woodson? He's 5 times the player.

because he's older, and at this point in the offseason there are less suitors.

Timing is everything.

Chris

TEX
05-01-2006, 01:05 PM

Yep, but if it happens, I don't look for it to until after the kids hit the field in the next few weeks. Personally, I wouldn't wait that long as I'd want my starterts set with my competition being for the 3rd CB spot. Maybe Herm will take the DV route and tell Law that he can "compete" for the starting job...

DaKCMan AP
05-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I think this article is very misleading. I watched the press conference (you can too at kcchiefs.com) and I think Teicher took comments out of context.

http://www.geocities.com/dakcman/gator_champs2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dakcman/logo_head.jpg

Thig Lyfe
05-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Law is great... at the right price.

sedated
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
We still need a DT

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 03:16 PM
We still need a DT

I think Edwards is all they are going to get. If Krumrie can get Savaii, Sims, and Edwards to play up to their potential the Chiefs are set at DT.

sedated
05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I think Edwards is all they are going to get. If Krumrie can get Savaii, Sims, and Edwards to play up to their potential the Chiefs are set at DT.

if he gets Sims and Salivii to play up to potential, he should be a head coach next year

JBucc
05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
I think Edwards is all they are going to get. If Krumrie can get Savaii, Sims, and Edwards to play up to their potential the Chiefs are set at DT.Maybe he should go to the back of end zone that they're facing and hold up a box of krispy kreme.

chief52
05-01-2006, 03:34 PM
I think this article is very misleading. I watched the press conference (you can too at kcchiefs.com) and I think Teicher took comments out of context.

http://www.geocities.com/dakcman/gator_champs2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dakcman/logo_head.jpg

I agree. I watched the press conference and did not come away with the feeling that the Chiefs were looking to Law. They were very noncommittal when asked about him.

Spicy McHaggis
05-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Just read that Martin Nance WR signed with the Bills. I really wanted the Chiefs to try to bring him to camp.

Spicy McHaggis
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
Two UDFA WR we've signed:

Travis LaTendresse (http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/latendresse_travis00.html)

Chris Hannon (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/chrishannon.html)