PDA

View Full Version : Someone should start a thread with a list of all of our consolidated UDFA signings

cmh6476
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
TIA

LB Nick Reid (Kansas)
FB Jake Slaughter (Auburn)
WR Travis LaTendresse (Utah)
WR Chris Hannon (Tennessee)
TE Bob Docherty (Wisconsin Oshkosh)
RB De'Arrius Howard (Arkansas)
DL Alex Guerrero (Boise State)
OL Steve Franklin (Syracuse)
WR Ryan Waller - Maine
OT Derek Morris - NC State
WR Danny Melendez - Maryland
WR Jermaine Jamison - Fresno State
LB Brandon Guillory - UL-Monroe

ct
05-01-2006, 10:29 AM
LB Nick Reid (Kansas)

Kclee
05-01-2006, 10:38 AM
So instead of starting the thread yourself, you start a thread saying someone should start a thread.

cmh6476
05-01-2006, 10:39 AM
So instead of starting the thread yourself, you start a thread saying someone should start a thread.

yeah, i'll do it. But i've got some work to get done today and it seems that some of you others have more free time than i do :p

jspchief
05-01-2006, 10:41 AM
LB Nick Reid (Kansas)
WR Chris Hannon (http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hannon_chris00.html) (Tennessee)
TE Bob Docherty (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=113769) (Wisconsin Oshkosh)

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Chiefs | Team agrees with UDFA D. Howard
Mon, 1 May 2006 09:35:54 -0700

Alex Abrams, of The Times Record, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have reached a contract agreement with undrafted rookie free agent RB De'Arrius Howard (Arkansas).

Nice size and speed(5'11 230 4.4 40). Got beat out by a couple of big-time freshman RBs his Sr. year. Sporting News ranked him as the 14th best back

CupidStunt
05-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Chiefs | Team signs UDFA Guerrero
Mon, 1 May 2006 11:18:27 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent DL Alex Guerrero (Boise State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Cormac
05-01-2006, 12:26 PM
RB De'Arrius Howard (Arkansas)....5'11 230 4.4 40

:hmmm:

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Chiefs | Team agrees with UDFA D. Howard
Mon, 1 May 2006 09:35:54 -0700
Nice size and speed(5'11 230 4.4 40). Frank Moreau?

Woodrow Call
05-01-2006, 12:29 PM
:hmmm:

He might have a good chance to make the team. The RBs that beat him out were McFadden and Jones 2 of the best freshman rbs in the SEC if not the nation.

jspchief
05-01-2006, 12:31 PM
230 lbs and a 4.4? That's a load.

He must be on rails or something.

sedated
05-01-2006, 12:39 PM
230 lbs and a 4.4? That's a load.

He must be on rails or something.

????

jspchief
05-01-2006, 12:52 PM
????Different rails.

Like a train. Can only go one direction, ie doesn't cut well, bad vision, etc.

Kclee
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Like a train. Can only go one direction, ie doesn't cut well, bad vision, etc.

Trains have bad vision? I guess that's why you always hear about them hitting cars or people.

Ok, I'll shutup.

Woodrow Call
05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/153517/

FAYETTEVILLE — After former Arkansas tailback De’Arrius Howard agreed to a free agent contract with Kansas City on Sunday, Chiefs assistant coach James Saxon told him something interesting about Priest Holmes, the team’s threetime Pro Bowl running back.

“Coach Saxon told me Priest Holmes went into the NFL as a free agent, too,” Howard said. “I didn’t know that.”

Holmes wasn’t drafted in 1997 after his college career at Texas and signed as a rookie free agent with the Baltimore Ravens. He can be a role model for Howard and other players joining NFL teams as free agents.

“The Chiefs like to use big running backs and they feel I can fit into their offense,” said Howard, 6-0, 235 pounds. “I’m excited to go up to Kansas City and show what I can do.”

Howard is among several undrafted players with ties to the state of Arkansas who have signed free agent contracts.

Others include former Arkansas center Kyle Roper (Baltimore ); former Arkansas State running back Shermar Bracey (Green Bay ) and quarterback Nick Noce (Dallas ); former Harding linebacker Torrance Daniels (Philadelphia ); and Fayetteville native and former Colorado State offensive lineman Mike Brisiel (Houston ).

Howard said it would have been nice to be drafted, but he’s excited about getting a chance to play in the NFL after seeing his carries decrease last season with the emergence of Darren McFadden and Felix Jones as true freshmen.

“Just for me to get my name back in the mix was a good thing because I only had 328 [rushing yards ] last season,” Howard said. “Being drafted would have been icing on the cake, but things worked out fine.

“ I’m not disappointed. I could be in a worse situation hoping that a team calls me. I had a lot of options as far as teams wanting me to sign with them.”

Howard said he had nine free agent offers, but picked Kansas City because of the offensive style and its proximity to Fayetteville and his hometown of West Memphis. He also likes Saxon, who coaches the Chiefs’ running backs.

“Coach Saxon asked me, ‘How do you eat an elephant ?’” Howard said. “I said, ‘Well, one bite at time.’ He said, ‘Exactly.’ That’s how you’ve got to be here, take it one step at time and just don’t get comfortable. ’”

Whosurdaddy
05-02-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/153517/

FAYETTEVILLE — After former Arkansas tailback De’Arrius Howard agreed to a free agent contract with Kansas City on Sunday, Chiefs assistant coach James Saxon told him something interesting about Priest Holmes, the team’s threetime Pro Bowl running back.

“Coach Saxon told me Priest Holmes went into the NFL as a free agent, too,” Howard said. “I didn’t know that.”

Holmes wasn’t drafted in 1997 after his college career at Texas and signed as a rookie free agent with the Baltimore Ravens. He can be a role model for Howard and other players joining NFL teams as free agents.

“The Chiefs like to use big running backs and they feel I can fit into their offense,” said Howard, 6-0, 235 pounds. “I’m excited to go up to Kansas City and show what I can do.”

Howard is among several undrafted players with ties to the state of Arkansas who have signed free agent contracts.

Others include former Arkansas center Kyle Roper (Baltimore ); former Arkansas State running back Shermar Bracey (Green Bay ) and quarterback Nick Noce (Dallas ); former Harding linebacker Torrance Daniels (Philadelphia ); and Fayetteville native and former Colorado State offensive lineman Mike Brisiel (Houston ).

Howard said it would have been nice to be drafted, but he’s excited about getting a chance to play in the NFL after seeing his carries decrease last season with the emergence of Darren McFadden and Felix Jones as true freshmen.

“Just for me to get my name back in the mix was a good thing because I only had 328 [rushing yards ] last season,” Howard said. “Being drafted would have been icing on the cake, but things worked out fine.

“ I’m not disappointed. I could be in a worse situation hoping that a team calls me. I had a lot of options as far as teams wanting me to sign with them.”

Howard said he had nine free agent offers, but picked Kansas City because of the offensive style and its proximity to Fayetteville and his hometown of West Memphis. He also likes Saxon, who coaches the Chiefs’ running backs.

“Coach Saxon asked me, ‘How do you eat an elephant ?’” Howard said. “I said, ‘Well, one bite at time.’ He said, ‘Exactly.’ That’s how you’ve got to be here, take it one step at time and just don’t get comfortable. ’”

He's a good size back with a lot of talect, but he got ousted by 2 future high round draft picks IMHO. He hasn't had a lot of injuries and he has a few decent moves. The o-line hasn't been that great for a few years now, and he good turn out to be a good pick up. McFadden will be a #1 pick....

chief4life
05-02-2006, 09:10 AM
TIA

LB Nick Reid (Kansas)

I think Chris Hannon and Jake Slaughter might be good pickups

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2006, 01:11 PM
TIA

LB Nick Reid (Kansas)

Updates, anyone?

chefsos
05-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Chiefs | Team signs UDFA S. Franklin
Mon, 1 May 2006 22:51:46 -0700

Andy Walter, of the Delaware State News, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent OL Steve Franklin (Syracuse). The team plans to use him at guard and center.

How a guy from a shitty paper in my hometown got this news is beyond me. Any 'Cuse fans here know about this guy?

EDIT: Gee, I guess this is how. Dude went to my high school.

Scholar Athlete of the Week Steve Franklin

6-5 319 Dover, DE / Caesar Rodney HS/Coffeyville CC

At SU: Three letters … Three year starter at offensive guard … Also played center … Enrolled in January 2003 and participated in 2003 spring practice … Member of the 2003 Fall, 2004 Spring and 2005 Fall Athletic Director’s Honor Roll … 2003 and 2004 BIG EAST All-Academic Team selection.

Senior Year (2005): Was one of 16 players to start in all 11 games … Voted 2005 SU captain by teammates … Helped SU run the ball for a total of 1,172 yards for the season … Damien Rhodes used his blockers for 900 of those yards to finish his career ninth on SU’s all-time career rushing yards list.

Junior Year (2004): One of 13 players to start all 12 games … Part of the offensive line that blocked for the first SU duo to each run for 800 yards (Damien Rhodes & Walter Reyes) since 1979 … Team allowed 19 sacks, the second-fewest in the BIG EAST … Orange offense ran for at least 200 yards in five games, including two 300-yard rushing efforts … Played on the PAT/FG unit.

Sophomore Year (2003): Started 11-of-12 games at right guard … One of 39 players to participate in all 12 games … Blocked for tailback Walter Reyes, who rushed for 1,347 yards and a school single-season record 20 rushing touchdowns, and quarterback R.J.Anderson, who set SU single-season records for completions and pass attempts.

At Coffeyville CC: PrepStar Top-125 junior college prospect … Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference Second Team offensive tackle in 2002.

High School: Four-year letterwinner … First-team all-state and all-conference as a junior and senior … Team captain as a senior … All-state honorable mention for state runner-up as a sophomore … Played in 2001 Blue-Gold All-Star Game … Two-time state champion in the discus … Recruited by former associate head coach George DeLeone.

Personal: Stephen Darnell Franklin … Born June 9, 1983 in Kansas … Son of Joshua and Joshlyn Franklin … One brother and one sister … Majoring in child and family studies.

http://www.suathletics.com/info/scholar.asp?playerid=1390&sport=187

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Chiefs | Team signs UDFA S. Franklin
Mon, 1 May 2006 22:51:46 -0700

Andy Walter, of the Delaware State News, reports the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free agent OL Steve Franklin (Syracuse). The team plans to use him at guard and center.

How a guy from a shitty paper in my hometown got this news is beyond me. Any 'Cuse fans here know about this guy?

EDIT: Gee, I guess this is how. Dude went to my high school.

http://www.dailyorange.com/media/storage/paper522/news/2005/09/08/Sports/Syracuse.Has.A.Big.Leader.In.Lineman.Franklin-978460.shtml?norewrite200605021535&sourcedomain=www.dailyorange.com

Syracuse has a big leader in lineman Franklin

Scott Bisang

Posted: 9/8/05

After earning all-state honors as a junior and senior at Caesar Rodney High School in Dover, Del., Steve Franklin knew he could play college football somewhere. He just didn't know if he could handle the academics.

So instead of going to college and struggling, the senior offensive guard on the Syracuse football team went to Coffeyville Community College in Kansas and tested the college waters.

Halfway across the country, Franklin surprised himself by not just handling the academics but also doing well.

"To be honest with you, I didn't think I was going to go to college," Franklin said. "I struggled with high school and when I went to junior college it built my confidence up and it let me know that I could do this."

After a one-year stint at Coffeyville, Franklin enrolled at Syracuse and has started all but one game in three years. Along with three seniors and one junior, Franklin anchors the offensive line from his right guard position. He's succeeded on the field but also in the classroom, earning Big East All-Academic honors the past two years.

In his senior season, Franklin has now assumed a critical leadership role, too, serving as one of two captains, along with senior defensive end James Wyche. Franklin's teammates elected him to the position, a sign of their confidence in him.

Senior offensive guard Jason Greene said that Franklin's selection was very impressive because Franklin transferred and hasn't been at Syracuse as long as a typical senior.

"When he says something or yells, you definitely pay attention because it's not something you hear all the time," Greene said. "I know a lot of guys have bad days and don't really feel like being out there, they're tired. But he's the type of guy that's ready to go everyday."

Franklin will pull a younger player to the sideline and tell him to keep playing. He's not afraid to single somebody out or critique a teammate, but he usually leads by example.

"He's a great guy," defensive tackle Chris Thorner said. "He would do anything for anybody. If you ever need anyone to talk to, he will. You couldn't ask for anything more as a captain."

If Franklin's talent at offensive guard and leadership skills weren't enough, he also enjoys singing. Greene said Franklin usually sings after practice in the locker room. He doesn't pick any song in particular, just anything to make his teammates smile.

"He's probably still in there right now, singing and (joking around) with everyone else," Greene said.

Backup quarterback Joe Fields credited Franklin for helping him adjust to Syracuse when he enrolled in SU early after graduating high school a semester early. Franklin took Fields under his wing and helped Fields adjust to college life.

"Steve brings great leadership skills. He leads by example," Fields said. "He's not really an outspoken guy but you see him at practice and he takes the lead."

If Syracuse is to succeed this year and achieve one of its stated goals of winning the Big East conference, its offensive line play will have to improve. Greene said one of the unit's unspoken goals is to get the running back at least 100 rushing yards. If the line jells and consistently gives Damien Rhodes room to run, it'll only make Perry Patterson or whoever is quarterbacking the team that much better.

"We have some vast improvement to do over the first game and the second game," Syracuse offensive line coach Bob Wylie said. "They did some things that somebody who's learning the line for the first time would do."

Franklin knows that that the unit, including himself, needs to perform better. Starting with the first couple of plays, the line needs to set the tone and "look the defense in their eyes and let them know it's going to be a long haul," Franklin said.

If that does happen consistently the rest of the year, Franklin might find himself in the NFL. It's not something he talks about now; it's a topic for the offseason he said, but Wylie, with all his professional experience, thinks it's a possibility.

"He's going to have a chance," Wylie said. "Now once you get there, you have to make the best of the chance that you get. There is a good possibility he might have a chance."

Wylie called Franklin a lunch-box type of player. He said that he tells Franklin to work on a specific aspect and then leaves Franklin alone so he can tutor a younger lineman.

When Wylie looks around, Franklin is doing exactly what he asked. Along with his work ethic, it's just one of the many reasons Wylie loves to coach Franklin. It's something a professional coach might someday notice, too.

"He's my kind of guy," Wylie says. "He works hard and he's a tough, physical kind of guy that makes very few mental assignment breakdowns. He loves to play the game. He works at getting better and he studies at getting better. Those kids usually succeed and keep playing after they leave me."

If Franklin does end up in the NFL, he can credit Syracuse but you can be sure he'll also credit Coffeyville. If it hadn't been for community college, Franklin wouldn't be at Syracuse.

"It started in junior college. I worked my tail off and I was very confident," Franklin said. "I was looking at schools with good academics like Syracuse, and a lot of people back in my hometown thought I wouldn't be able to manage the academics. Hopefully I had the chance to prove them wrong."

<HR SIZE=1>© Copyright 2006 The Daily Orange

Ultra Peanut
05-02-2006, 02:31 PM
More:

WR Ryan Waller - Maine
OT Derek Morris - NC State
WR Danny Melendez - Maryland
WR Jermaine Jamison - Fresno State
LB Brandon Guillory - UL-Monroe

Morris is definitely one of the more interesting pickups, so far. He's huge and pretty athletic. With the coaching we have, he really could be molded into a pretty good OL; if not, no loss.

Ultra Peanut
05-02-2006, 02:37 PM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/02/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_15_rookie_free_agents/

CHIEFS AGREE TO TERMS WITH 15 ROOKIE FREE AGENTS
May 02, 2006, 2:00:16 PM

Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday that the club has agreed to terms with 15 rookie free agents. WR Kyle Brown, TE Robert Dockery, G Steve Franklin, DT Alex Guerrero, LB Brandon Guillory, WR Chris Hannon, RB De Arrius Howard, WR Jermaine Jamison, LB William Kershaw, WR Travis La Tendresse, WR Dan Melendez, T Derek Morris, LB Nick Reid, FB Jake Slaughter and WR Ryan Waller all agreed to terms of two-year contracts. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreements were made available.

WR Kyle Brown (6-0, 200) appeared in 42 games (26 starts) at Michigan State. He caught 88 passes for 1,329 yards (15.1 avg.) with six TDs. He added 25 kickoff returns for 270 yards (10.8 avg.) and 17 punt returns for 327 yards (19.2 avg.). The West Bloomfield, Michigan native was a SuperPrep and PrepStar All-America selection at West Bloomfield High School.

TE Robert Dockery (6-5, 274) played in 18 games (15 starts) at Wisconsin - Oshkosh after beginning his career at Wisconsin. He caught 33 passes for 452 yards with five touchdowns for the Titans. The two-year starter at Oshkosh North High School in Oshkosh, Wisconsin led his high school to the state championship as a senior.

G Steve Franklin (6-2, 302) saw action in 35 games (34 starts) as a guard for Syracuse, opening his final 23 contests. He began his collegiate career at Coffeyville (KS) Community College before transferring to Syracuse. He was a two-time all-state and all-conference selection at Caesar Rodney High School in Dover, Delaware.

DT Alex Guerrero (6-1, 303) appeared in 52 games (25 starts) at Boise State. He registered 105 tackles (47 solo), 21.5 tackles for loss and 8.0 sacks. The three-year starter at defensive end at Brea Olinda High School in Brea, California earned first-team all-league honors as a junior and senior.

LB Brandon Guillory (6-4, 253) played in 44 games (33 starts) at Louisiana - Monroe. He totaled 132 tackles (84 solo), 41.5 tackles for loss (-185.0 yards), 18.0 sacks (-136.0 yards), six passes defensed, two fumble recoveries and seven forced fumbles. A three-sport athlete at Abramson High School in New Orleans, Louisiana, Guillory played linebacker and wide receiver for the football team.

WR Chris Hannon (6-3, 205) played in 46 games (20 starts) at Tennessee, catching 69 passes for 850 yards (12.3 avg.) with 12 touchdowns. He also added four carries for 37 yards (9.2 avg.), two punt returns for nine yards and three kickoff returns for 42 yards. The all-district and all-area selection by the Sarasota Herald-Tribune rushed for 1,000 yards and passed for 680 yards as a senior at Riverview High School in Sarasota, Florida.

RB De Arrius Howard (5-11, 229) appeared in 44 games (one start) at Arkansas. He rushed 413 times for 1,719 yards (4.2 avg.) with 21 TDs. He rushed 345 times for 2,746 yards with 29 touchdowns as a senior at West Memphis High School in West Memphis, Arkansas.

WR Jermaine Jamison (6-2, 201) played in 52 games (14 starts) at Fresno State, catching 124 passes for 1,562 yards (12.6 avg.) with 10 touchdowns. His 124 receptions ranked ninth in school history while his 1,562 receiving yards were 10th-highest in team annals. He was selected the league player of the year in both football and basketball as a senior at Price High School in Los Angeles, California.

LB William Kershaw (6-3, 240) saw duty in 42 games (20 starts) at Maryland. He produced 204 tackles (103 solo), 12.5 tackles for loss (-39.0 yards), 3.0 sacks (-20.0 yards), eight QB pressures, an interception, two passes defensed and one forced fumble. He recorded 135 tackles (69 solo), 7.0 sacks, two interceptions and four fumble recoveries as a senior at Hoke County High School in Raeford, North Carolina.

WR Travis La Tendresse (6-1, 195) appeared in 43 games (33 starts) at Utah. He caught 135 passes for 1,782 yards (13.2 avg.) with 12 touchdowns. He recorded 55 receptions for 810 yards (14.7 avg.) with eight scores as a senior. The two-sport athlete led Oak Ridge High School in Oak Ridge, California to a 42-3 record during his time on the gridiron.

WR Dan Melendez (6-2, 173) played in 39 games at Maryland. He produced 61 receptions for 891 yards (14.6 avg.) with four touchdowns. The three-year starter at J.P. McCaskey High School in Lancaster, Pennsylvania earned AP big schools all-state honors as a senior. He was a former high school teammate of current Chiefs TE Kris Wilson.

T Derek Morris (6-5, 332) played in 25 games (22 starts) during his collegiate career at North Carolina State. He started all 11 games at right tackle as a senior for the Wolfpack. He earned first-team USA Today and Parade All-America honors as a senior at North Mecklenberg High School in Huntersville, North Carolina.

LB Nick Reid (6-3, 234) played in 48 games (40 starts) at Kansas, finishing his career second in school history with 416 tackles (254 solo). He added 41.0 tackles for loss (-154.0 yards), 14.0 sacks (-85.0 yards), three INTs, 14 passes defensed, nine QB pressures, one fumble recovery and six forced fumbles. He started all 12 games as a senior and was named the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Reid posted 112 tackles (72 solo), 14.0 tackles for loss (-49.0 yards), 3.0 sacks (-15.0 yards), an INT, six passes defensed and two forced fumbles. He earned all-state honors as a senior at Derby High School in Derby, Kansas.

FB Jake Slaughter (6-1, 242) appeared in 46 games (11 starts) at Auburn. He rushed eight times for 23 yards and caught eight passes for 72 yards for the Tigers. He added three tackles on defense as a freshman. He finished his prep career with 140 tackles, 6.0 sacks, three fumble recoveries and seven forced fumbles at Brentwood Academy in Brentwood, Tennessee. He also rushed for 810 yards and nine TDs in addition to 400 receiving yards as a fullback.

WR Ryan Waller (5-11, 183) saw action in 47 games at Maine, catching 149 passes for 1,948 yards (13.1 avg.) with 16 touchdowns. He led the Black Bears with 53 receptions for 528 yards and five scores as a sophomore. He played defensive back and wide receiver at L.C. Bird High School in Chester, Virginia.