PDA

View Full Version : Would you be happy if our 1st pick...

Moooo
05-02-2006, 01:28 AM
Would you be happy if our first pick, Tamba, becomes an okay player who averages around 8 sacks a year as our starter? Nothing more, but nothing less, would you be okay with that seeings how he's a first rounder, or are you expecting more out of him?

Moooo

SBK
05-02-2006, 01:32 AM
No. He must be a first ballot hall of famer, who breaks the single season and career sack records, and changes the DE position forever.

Anything less and he's a reach at 20.

keg in kc
05-02-2006, 01:35 AM
It depends on what the people around him do. If he's getting 8-10 sacks a year and Allen's getting the same and Sims turns into what he's supposed to be...

Great!

tk13
05-02-2006, 01:43 AM
24 sacks, 89 tackles, 45 tackle for loss, 15 fumbles forced, 9 interceptions. Anything less, he's a bust.

Tribal Warfare
05-02-2006, 01:51 AM
I truly believe Hali will have 10-12 sacks this year

Spicy McHaggis
05-02-2006, 01:54 AM
Would you be happy if our first pick, Tamba, becomes an okay player who averages around 8 sacks a year as our starter? Nothing more, but nothing less, would you be okay with that seeings how he's a first rounder, or are you expecting more out of him?

Moooo

If he plays the run as well as he did in college and gets a consistent 8-10 sacks a year, I'd be happy. That said, I think he can be better than that.

Moooo
05-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Perhaps a better question would be if you guys get the impression from the majority of people this wouldn't be enough. I have been getting the feeling that they want him to be the saving grace of our D-line. And I don't see it happening. I see him being an adequate DL who won't be a weak link, but won't be a pro-bowler either.

Moooo

SBK
05-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Hali can kill Lions with his bare hands.

He'll pound RT's the way that Warfield pounded the 40 OZ.

Moooo
05-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Hali can kill Lions with his bare hands.

He'll pound RT's the way that Warfield pounded the 40 OZ.

Or how the Judge pounded the gavel on Warfield's court date...

Moooo

SBK
05-02-2006, 02:01 AM
Or how the Judge pounded the gavel on Warfield's court date...

Moooo

Or how Joe Horn pounded Big Willie Roafs wife?

ROFL

tk13
05-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Perhaps a better question would be if you guys get the impression from the majority of people this wouldn't be enough. I have been getting the feeling that they want him to be the saving grace of our D-line. And I don't see it happening. I see him being an adequate DL who won't be a weak link, but won't be a pro-bowler either.

Moooo
That might be just fine. I don't know if we need that many more stars. I really think there comes a point where you only need a couple stars and then solid players supporting them. If Allen, DJ, and Surtain played like "stars", we'd be in good shape... just need some solid contributors around them. Not a bunch of all-stars trying to get the most attention in the paper.

el borracho
05-02-2006, 03:11 AM
Quite honestly I would hope for more than 8 sacks a year from the #20 pick. I would like double digit sacks and stout run defense (multiple tackles-for-loss and no biting on the goddamn bootleg!).

edit: And a probowl or two in the first couple of years would be nice.

beer bacon
05-02-2006, 03:46 AM
Quite honestly I would hope for more than 8 sacks a year from the #20 pick. I would like double digit sacks and stout run defense (multiple tackles-for-loss and no biting on the goddamn bootleg!).

I would be happy if he turned out like Justin Smith: average around 8 sacks a season and 50+ tackles. Good against the run and solid, consistant, but not spectacular pass rush.

MahiMike
05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Hali = the next Neil Smith

InChiefsHell
05-02-2006, 08:01 AM

Well, we haven't had a rookie perform like that since DT. I'd guess this is the reason for the low expectations.

rad
05-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, we haven't had a rookie perform like that since DT. I'd guess this is the reason for the low expectations.
That's b/c we haven't drafted that high (#4) since DT

chief52
05-02-2006, 08:05 AM
If your first round choice does not have a "pro bowl" career, I feel it was a poor choice. How long it takes to get there I have no clue. That is the level the scouts feel they should come up with by taking a player in the first round and I agree.

"Poor Choice" is too strong of a choice of words. I would just say that he did not reach the level you had hoped for when you drafted him in the first round.

ROYC75
05-02-2006, 08:11 AM
It depends on what the people around him do. If he's getting 8-10 sacks a year and Allen's getting the same and Sims turns into what he's supposed to be...

Great!

Agreed, 8 - 10 would be great if the others are sent free to do their thing too . A good DL man helps the others around him get open as well, takes up an extra blocker, freeing our suspected DL to raise their ability to get to the QB.

philfree
05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
If those 8 sacks came on crucial 3rd downs in crucuial games then I'd be good with it. Not always how many sacks as much as when they occur. We need a defense that makes plays on 3rd downs instead of giving up plays on 3rd downs. That said i'm not sure eight's enough.

PhilFree:arrow:

Brock
05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
More importantly, does he recognize a bootleg when he sees it?

StcChief
05-02-2006, 09:11 AM
If those 8 sacks came on crucial 3rd downs in crucuial games then I'd be good with it. Not always how many sacks as much as when they occur. We need a defense that makes plays on 3rd downs instead of giving up plays on 3rd downs. That said i'm not sure eight's enough.

PhilFree:arrow:

Very true... Crucial 3rd down stops make or break games in W-L.

FAX
05-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Personally, I would be happy if he stays healthy and can contribute throughout the year.

I figure that, if I set my expectations low, the odds of my being pleasantly surprised increase exponentially (Mr. Rain Man term).

FAX

Rain Man
05-02-2006, 09:19 AM
8 sacks a year over a 12-year career equals nearly 100 sacks. I'd be happy with 8 sacks a year if it occurs for a decade or more.

Lzen
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I suppose I would prefer at least 10 sacks. But the other important thing is getting consistent pressure on the QB as well as stuffing the run. If he could do that and still only gets 8 sacks, he'll be a solid draft pick. As others have said, not biting on the bootleg every damn time is vitally important, too.

ArrowheadHawk
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
if he can make the defense better than i will like him

ChiefsfaninPA
05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
I just hope that regardless of the sacks he has, he always keeps up his image of having great character.

Iowanian
05-02-2006, 09:44 AM
I want consistant pressure, 8-10 sacks, recognition of the bootleg and counter plays.

If he does that consistantly, it'll take some of the pressure off the Dline and should also open things up for Allen and blitzing LBs.

I really just want a solid contributor from that side of the line, and respectable sack numbers. Anything over 10 sacks is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

A solid, dependable and consistant starter is all I expect to be happy with the pick.

Anything more, and I'm thrilled.

Bowser
05-02-2006, 09:52 AM
24 sacks, 89 tackles, 45 tackle for loss, 15 fumbles forced, 9 interceptions. Anything less, he's a bust.

Please. There is only one Hugh Douglas.

Bowser
05-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I just hope that regardless of the sacks he has, he always keeps up his image of having great character.

Thanks, Vermeil.

leviw
05-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Just to go against the grain, my predictions for Hali:
- Holds out until final two days of training camp
- Finally sees the field in Week 8
- Suffers season-ending injury in Week 10
- Final stats: 2 tackles

wolfpack0735
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
some how make simms play better. 8 sacks or more a year and hold his own against the run would be great. and to keep dalton supplied with jellyrolls.

rad
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Just to go against the grain, my predictions for Hali:
- Holds out until final two days of training camp
- Finally sees the field in Week 8
- Suffers season-ending injury in Week 10
- Final stats: 2 tackles

You need a sunshine enema

Pasta Giant Meatball
05-02-2006, 01:48 PM
8 to 10 sacks and a consistent pass rush would be quite nice.

Ari Chi3fs
05-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Muhammed Hali is the Greatest #20 of All time.

ck_IN
05-02-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd expect more but I'd be ok with a solid run stopper who contributed 8+ sacks a year. withr picks like Sims, Junior and Freeman that would be a good pick for CP.

I have to wonder, have our picks been so bad due to CP or due to DV? At least with Marty and CP we got some good defensive talent.

ct
05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Averaging 8 sacks per year, with a consistent run stopper as well? Hell yeah I'd be very happy with that.

CHENZ A!
05-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't care if he only gets 8-10 sacks his entire career... If he makes some big plays to help us win ballgames during our superbowl run this yr. (pending the signing of Ty Law). :D

PastorMikH
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
With our current success with 1st round picks, I'll be happy if he is still on the roster as a productive starter in 5 years.