PDA

View Full Version : Tamba Hali Interview with Carl & Company press footage

Tribal Warfare
05-02-2006, 10:52 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/05/02/qa_with_de_tamba_hali2a/

Sorry if it's a REPOST

Q: How has your day at Arrowhead been so far?

HALI: “It’s been great. I just got in from my flight and my position coach picked me up and brought me here. I met with a couple people and I’m just happy to be here.”

Q: Who did you meet?
HALI: “I met with Carl Peterson, Coach Edwards, Gunther (Cunningham).’
Q: What did you think of Gunther?
HALI: “I liked him. He thinks I’m similar to one of his players that he coached earlier (Leslie O’Neal).”
Q: Can you talk about the whirlwind of the weekend and how your life has changed?
HALI: “Saturday was pretty nerve-racking just watching everybody go and knowing that this was the only place that I took a visit to. Even though other teams were interested in me playing for them, I didn’t take any other visit. I just stopped watching the draft after the Eagles went because they wanted a defensive end or a defensive player. When they didn’t pick me I said, ‘it’s got to be Kansas City,’ and I was just hoping now. I just stopped watching the draft and the call came in and then everything changed from there.”
Q: Was being picked 20th overall and emotional lift for you?
HALI: “I think it all had to do with my (40-yard dash) time. People were really concerned. They say, ‘he’s a good player but he didn’t run a good 40 time. A lot of teams looked at that and some other teams didn’t care. I don’t think the Buccaneers cared that much and I don’t think the 49ers cared that much. They’ve seen me play the game. I don’t think Kansas City cared that much because they knew I can change direction and I can play full speed all day. Going 20th in the draft was a huge lift off my shoulders, I won’t lie, but it really doesn’t change the way I’m going to approach the game. I’ve still got to play football.”
Q: What do you think you bring to this organization?
HALI: “As a player I think I’m a hard-working player. I think coming in here I want to become a leader and not just a mediocre player. Not just a person who just fits in, I want to stand out and do what I do. Play the pass rush and play every down with everything I’ve got.”
Q: Do you think you can help this team right away?
HALI: “I feel like I can be a help to the team. I think that’s the reason they drafted me. To sit here and tell you how many sacks I’m going to get every game I’d be lying to you. I’m going to come in here and work my tail off and pray for the best.”
Q: Do you think your background has anything to do with your ability to work so hard?
HALI: “I think playing soccer earlier in my life helped me. Also just the passion of getting to the ball. I play with a passion and I love playing football. Whoever has the ball in their hands I want to go get that person. I don’t care if they’re 20 yards downfield I still want to get that person.”
Q: Do you have an anger towards the ball-carrier?
HALI: “I wouldn’t say an anger, it’s more that I want to be noticed. I want people to notice that the game is not just played from one perspective. I’m not just a pass rusher, I’m a football player.”
Q: What was your family’s reaction to getting drafted?
HALI: “They almost cried and they hugged. Coach (Larry) Johnson has this big TV in his house and when Kansas City was up everybody just got around the big TV and everybody was just stuck. I had already gotten the news, ‘Welcome Tamba to be a Kansas City Chief.’ We were just stuck waiting and when they said ‘Tamba Hali’ the place just went crazy. It was a real relief off my parents shoulder and off my shoulders. I was happy with the decision and I think everybody was happy.”
Q: Have you talked with your mother?
HALI: “Yeah, but she doesn’t understand. It’s one of those things, ‘Mom, I got drafted.’ She just said ‘Thank You’. That’s all she was saying, ‘Thank You.’”
Q: Is it true that you like to write rap songs?
HALI: “I’m not going to rap here today, but I do rap. I write lyrics and I write beats. I do it all on my computer. That’s how I get away if I’m not doing school work I like to do those types of things.”
Q: What does this mean for your mother and your family situation?
HALI: “I guess it is going to be more help for my mom to come here. I hope that this is going to put my family in a better position right now. I don’t worry too much about it. I think those things will take care of themselves. My main concern is playing football again and helping Kansas City win a, I don’t want to say National Championship because I’m used to saying that, but a Super Bowl.”
Q: Have the coaches here told you what your role will be?
HALI: “They told me to be me and do what I do. I’m here to play football. Some guys will put so much on them, but they don’t want me to feel like I’m under any pressure. They want me to feel relaxed and be the same type of person I was in college, but it’s just in a business world now. So just be what do what you do.”
Q: Have you spoken with Kansas City RB Larry Johnson about the Chiefs?
HALI: “We didn’t talk too much about the Chiefs. He just wants to show me around a little bit. I talked to him on draft day and I text messaged him today on my way here.”
Q: Will it be helpful to have a former teammate here to help with the transition?
HALI: “Yes, I think it will.”
Q: Can you talk about the nature of the fight to get your mother to the United States?
HALI: “Getting anybody in this country is hard. It’s never easy. You’re not trying to bring a terrorist here, you’re trying to bring somebody who is going to be a good citizen. When it comes down to it they’re going to make sure the paperwork is accurate and they’re going to make sure that whoever you’re trying to bring here is exactly the person you’re trying to bring here. The entire thing is it’s not just me. I’m sure there are a lot of people trying to do the same thing doing the same process that I’m doing. I’m hoping that mine can get pushed a little faster. That’s my hope. It takes awhile though before they notice that oh, ‘Tamba is trying to bring his mom here.’ Every time we turn in the paperwork they say, ‘well this way it’s not going to work.’ So we’ve tried so many different ways that you just have to go with the best way possible and that’s becoming a citizen and then filing for your blood relatives.”
Q: So do you have to become a U.S. citizen to bring your mother here?
HALI: “That’s one of the ways it can happen and another way it can happen is through humanity parole. Feeling like whoever you are trying to bring here, their life is danger. That way is hard to go. There are a lot of ways you can take, but it’s not as easy as you think.”
Q: Why do you like hitting the quarterback so much?
HALI: “When you look at it, a quarterback can really make a difference all the time, especially if you have a running quarterback or a throwing quarterback. The reason I like getting to the quarterback is like Coach Paterno said to me, ‘Do you know what the most important position on the field is on defense?’ I said, ‘No,’ and he said, Defensive End.’ I said, ‘Why?’ and he said, ‘because if you can get to the quarterback all the time you are going to really disrupt what the offense is trying to do.’ I just took that to heart and starting saying that I need to get to the quarterback all the time.”
Q: Are you good at defending the bootleg?
HALI: “I’ve done well defending the bootleg. It’s a reading thing, you have to be able to read the flow. If you’re able to read the flow, you’ll be able to adjust to it really fast.”
Q: What has this last 48 hours been like?
HALI: “The first 24 has just been hanging out with the family and relaxing, trying to enjoy my family. Then the next 24 I slept all day. I just wanted to relax. I haven’t been sleeping. I’ve gotten more calls than I’ve ever gotten in my life.”
Q: Who would you compare yourself to?
HALI: “Just being recruited by Syracuse, they recruited me really hard and they thought I played a similar style as Dwight Freeney. Just knowing that and going to Penn State and playing as relentlessly as Dwight plays in the NFL I think that would be my comparison.”
Q: Have you ever thought about the contrasting opportunities you have here as opposed to if you grew up in Liberia?
HALI: “If I would have stayed in Liberia I could guarantee you I wouldn’t be living. There is no way I would be living today. I mean just looking at the situation, 80 percent unemployed, then I come here and there is a whole rack of opportunity to become something. I try to take the right way. I really appreciate it, and it’s a privilege being here. It’s a privilege negotiating a contract. I just need to try to keep doing what I do and help the team.”

Halfcan
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
I like this guy allready!!! Bye bye Hicks.

CoMoChief
05-03-2006, 01:27 AM
I hope he pans out well. We need DLine pressure like nobodys business.

Spicy McHaggis
05-03-2006, 02:18 AM
Nice interview, a few points stuck out to me.

The guy is going to go balls out the entire game, the entire season. Having two DE's that are relentless like that is going to be boon to the entire defense. I'm already excited to see them in pads.

Second he mentioned playing soccer helping him as a football player. As weird as it sounds, I agree completely. I was a soccer player for two years at high school before switching to football my last two. My footwork was light years ahead of some guys that had played football since Pee Wee.

Third, I don't think he holds out and if he does it won't be for too long. Of course, Tamba is only half the equation. Carl needs to do what he did with LJ his rookie year and just get the deal done and the kid on the field.

Ultra Peanut
05-03-2006, 05:08 AM
“As a player I think I’m a hard-working player. I think coming in here I want to become a leader and not just a mediocre player. Not just a person who just fits in, I want to stand out and do what I do. Play the pass rush and play every down with everything I’ve got.”I like...

“I’ve done well defending the bootleg. It’s a reading thing, you have to be able to read the flow. If you’re able to read the flow, you’ll be able to adjust to it really fast.”PRAISE JESUS!

jspchief
05-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but does anyone else find it slightly unnerving that KC is the only team that brought him in for a visit?

OldTownChief
05-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but does anyone else find it slightly unnerving that KC is the only team that brought him in for a visit?

Not really.

jspchief
05-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Not really.Honestly? Every NFL team brings in 30+ players for private visits, yet KC was the only team that felt Hali was worthy of a visit?

It may mean nothing, but I have to admit it makes me wonder a little.

OldTownChief
05-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Honestly? Every NFL team brings in 30+ players for private visits, yet KC was the only team that felt Hali was worthy of a visit?

It may mean nothing, but I have to admit it makes me wonder a little.

"Even though other teams were interested in me playing for them, I didn’t take any other visit."

I took this to mean that he may have been invited to meet with other teams but didn't bother to go.

jspchief
05-03-2006, 06:07 AM
"Even though other teams were interested in me playing for them, I didn’t take any other visit."

I took this to mean that he may have been invited to meet with other teams but didn't bother to go.I highly doubt that. What player in his right mind would limit his chances of being drafted by denying teams' requests for a visit?

Whosurdaddy
05-03-2006, 06:24 AM
philly did also

MichaelH
05-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Great interview with a great player. I hope he makes an immediate impact.

Regarding his mother, why doesn't he fly her into Mexico? It's a real bitch to get into this country from there. :rolleyes:

NewChief
05-03-2006, 06:54 AM
I bet he's sick of Phil asking him who he'd compare himself to.

FAX
05-03-2006, 07:46 AM
I really like Tamba the Mamba.

The beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX and I work with a group of the lost boys of the Sudan. Helping them with English, locate jobs, schools, get their citizenship papers, etc. Tamba's speech patterns and outlook reminds me a lot of them.

I will go on record now as saying that, if he stays healthy, this guy will bring it and make us proud.

FAX

ct
05-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I am so excited we got Tamba for our Chiefs!! He will make us proud!

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 09:57 AM
It's funny that he was asked about defending the bootleg.

FAX
05-03-2006, 09:59 AM

Yes it was, Mr. Rain Man.

Da Mamba read da flow.

FAX

CupidStunt
05-03-2006, 10:02 AM
As far as KC being the only team to bring him in, I know of a lot more that were interested. Tampa and the Giants were said to be very high on him with their first-round selections.

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Yes it was, Mr. Rain Man.

Da Mamba read da flow.

FAX

Tamba the Mamba? I'm afraid, Mr. Fax, that I have already proposed Tamba Hali's nickname to be "The Liberian Lightmare." We may have to take this to a vote.

FAX
05-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Tamba the Mamba? I'm afraid, Mr. Fax, that I have already proposed Tamba Hali's nickname to be "The Liberian Lightmare." We may have to take this to a vote.

Great Bulging Boxes Of Bogus Ballots, Mr. Rain Man!!

Why does everything have to be a vote? Poll this, poll that.

Let's just ask Mr. GoChiefs through one of his mediums and find out what he thinks.

FAX

milkman
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM

Not really.

Aside from the fact that Hicks couldn't chase down Drew Beldsoe in a wheelchair with a bad wheel, he also, after how many years, hasn't learned to defend the bootleg.

Hicks, no talent, and stupid to boot.

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Great Bulging Boxes Of Bogus Ballots, Mr. Rain Man!!

Why does everything have to be a vote? Poll this, poll that.

Let's just ask Mr. GoChiefs through one of his mediums and find out what he thinks.

FAX

It's called democracy, Mr. Fax. You know, that little experiment that was placed on this earth by our founding fathers, and probably by the Danes a thousand years earlier, but we'll ignore that since it has less impact.

But on the other hand, I wonder if Mr. Gochiefs can see the future in his new place. If so, it might be a good idea to channel him and determine if Mamba or Lightmare would produce a different fate. I'm willing to go either direction if one of those nicknames spurs Tamba Hali to greatness, while the other leads to shame.

Do we know who's channeling him at the moment?

FAX
05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
It's called democracy, Mr. Fax. You know, that little experiment that was placed on this earth by our founding fathers, and probably by the Danes a thousand years earlier, but we'll ignore that since it has less impact.

But on the other hand, I wonder if Mr. Gochiefs can see the future in his new place. If so, it might be a good idea to channel him and determine if Mamba or Lightmare would produce a different fate. I'm willing to go either direction if one of those nicknames spurs Tamba Hali to greatness, while the other leads to shame.

Do we know who's channeling him at the moment?

I think it's Ms. RedNFeisty, Mr. Rain Man. Her breasts appear to be acting like some sort of metaphysical dowsing rods attracting Mr. GoChiefs' spiritual energy plasma.

FAX

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 10:19 AM
I think it's Ms. RedNFeisty, Mr. Rain Man. Her breasts appear to be acting like some sort of metaphysical dowsing rods attracting Mr. GoChiefs' spiritual energy plasma.

FAX

Seriously? I've heard of mammaplasmatic induction, but I don't think I've ever seen it in real life. This is amazing!

FAX
05-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Seriously? I've heard of mammaplasmatic induction, but I don't think I've ever seen it in real life. This is amazing!

Yes, it is, Mr. Rain Man. Mr. GoChiefs is now, apparently, some form of knocker wraith.

They can be nasty little buggers.

FAX

R&GHomer
05-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I really appreciate it, and it’s a privilege being here. It’s a privilege negotiating a contract. I just need to try to keep doing what I do and help the team.”

Now that's refreshing! I really like this guy. One thing's for sure, he is going to bring it or die trying.

SNR
05-03-2006, 10:34 AM
This thread has just gotten silly

Reaper16
05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Rhonda Moss asked that one.

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Yes, it is, Mr. Rain Man. Mr. GoChiefs is now, apparently, some form of knocker wraith.

They can be nasty little buggers.

FAX

It actually makes a lot of sense that he would end up in this form. Nature works in mysterious ways.

FAX
05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
This thread has just gotten silly

Actually, Mr. SNR. There are interesting connections here.

For example, Liberians are well known for their widespread belief in the afterlife and the manifestation of the departed into this realm.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was a Liberian spiritualist who once said (and I'm translating from the original Dinka), "Man, that's some set of knocker wraiths, you've got there, girl!"

FAX

58-4ever
05-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Actually, Mr. SNR. There are interesting connections here.

For example, Liberians are well known for their widespread belief in the afterlife and the manifestation of the departed into this realm.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was a Liberian spiritualist who once said (and I'm translating from the original Dinka), "Man, that's some set of knocker wraiths, you've got there, girl!"

FAX

Sounds like a good translation. If one thing translates, it's definitely knocker wraiths! ROFL

MOhillbilly
05-03-2006, 11:02 AM
if this guy plays like DJ in his first year,pollard comes on strong and KC signs a serviceable CB it may be time to get alittle more enthusiastic.
I still think that sims wills have a very strong year and i know the LB core will be one of the best in the NFL this year.

god how id love to see Kansas City have a power rungame and a top D.
the football gods have forsaken wary Chiefs fans long enough.

Bowser
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Rhonda Moss asked that one.

"You see, Tamba, these are called 'appetizers'. Americans eat them so that they can get hungry. Since obviously you don't need them, I'll eat them for you..........."

buddha
05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Being compared to Dwight Freeney, Leslie O'Neal and Terrell Suggs is pretty good company. I've seen all three of those comparisons over the past couple of weeks and I think he's in that discussion.

Tribal Warfare
05-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Great interview with a great player. I hope he makes an immediate impact.

Regarding his mother, why doesn't he fly her into Mexico? It's a real bitch to get into this country from there. :rolleyes:

It's probably a bitch in general to get her out too