PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt on 810, says this about Pollard...

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Purdue's team effort really affected his stock. If he had come out after the 2004 season, he likely would have been a late 1st-rounder or early 2nd-rounder...

ExtremeChief
05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I really like his attitude and the way he likes to punish blockers. I just don't understand why they didn't improve the free safety position.

Are we stuck with Wesley this year?? Or is there something I'm missing.

dtebbe
05-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Gil Brant is the man, I don't know just how old he is, but he has forgot more about football than most of the talking heads will ever know. During the draft it was simply amazing all the stuff he could pull right off the top of his head.

DT

Woodrow Call
05-03-2006, 09:00 AM
I think Pollard will end up being the cocky, hard-hitting safety that the Chiefs have lacked for years. The more I hear about him the more I think he will end up being the best player out of this draft for the Chiefs.

Cochise
05-03-2006, 09:07 AM
No way. He was a 'reach' (tm)

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 09:13 AM
That's Mr. Gil Brandt, to you. :p

Woodrow Call
05-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Are we stuck with Wesley this year?? Or is there something I'm missing.

Thats the question I have been trying to figure out since the draft. IMO the defense wont reach its potential till Wesley is no longer the starter.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't see any way we can jettison Wesley, if for no other reason than the salary cap.

Cormac
05-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Wesley's not great, and I tend to think he's probably a better SS than FS. But having said that, if we play improved team D, I think he'll do fine. After all, he's usually good for 5-6 turnovers a year too, so that helps. He suffered last year as much as anybody from the lack of a passrush. He just might improve this year being his second season at FS, and with a new defensive emphasis on the Chiefs team.

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't see any way we can jettison Wesley, if for no other reason than the salary cap.

You think there's any chance Pollard can play Free Safety, effectively, at all? I should try to find that article I posted about the cover 2....and see what it says, specfically, about safety play.....:hmmm:

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
You think there's any chance Pollard can play Free Safety, effectively, at all? I should try to find that article I posted about the cover 2....and see what it says, specfically, about safety play.....:hmmm:

No. He's a SS.

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
No. He's a SS.Okay. I guess Herm must be comfortable with the idea of Wesley at FS then.....:(

:banghead:

I haven't read the post draft interviews closely, but I wonder if they are considering moving Pollard to OLB if they go cover 2.....into a Derrick Brooks sort of roll.....I found that article, here's an excerpt:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514 Dungy raised quite a few eyebrows, but he knew precisely what he was doing when he drafted undersized end Dwight Freeney in the first round of his first draft with the Colts. He was getting his version of Tampa's Simeon Rice, a premier pass rusher, a key component of the Tampa 2. Smith has two terrors coming off the edge in Adewale Ogunleye and Alex Brown. Sanders, taken in the second round last year, is the intimidator at safety, the Colts' version of ex-Buc John Lynch. For the Bears, that's Mike Brown.

The parallels in the blueprints don't stop there. Before Anthony McFarland took over, the Bucs had Warren Sapp as their dominant defensive tackle. The Colts have Simon; the Bears Tommie Harris, Smith's first draft pick. Lance Briggs is to the Bears what Derrick Brooks is to the Bucs, what former sixth-round pick and college safety June is to the Colts, the playmaking weak-side linebacker. Chicago has Brian Urlacher in the middle. Back in the day, the Bucs had Hardy Nickerson running the defense; now that guy is Shelton Quarles. Bears cornerback Nathan Vasher, Smith says, possesses the ball skills of Tampa's Ronde Barber. From that quote, Hali (Freeney, Rice) makes sense to pair with Allen.....but two questions emerge:

1. Is Pollard the "intimidator" at safety (Sanders, Lynch, Brown), or the weakside LB (DJ on Strongside?)....? :hmmm:

2. Is Herm counting on Simms, Dalton, or Saivii to be the dominant DT? :banghead:

milkman
05-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Okay. I guess Herm must be comfortable with the idea of Wesley at FS then.....:(

I haven't read the post draft interviews closely, but I wonder if they are considering moving Pollard to OLB if they go cover 2.....into a Derrick Brooks sort of roll.....I found that article, here's an excerpt:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514

From that quote, Hali (Freeney, Rice) makes sense to pair with Allen.....but two questions emerge:

1. Is Pollard the "intimidator" at safety (Sanders, Lynch, Brown), or the weakside LB (move DJ to Strongside?)....? :hmmm:

2. Is Herm counting on Simms, Dalton, or Saivii to be the dominant DT? :banghead:

I think Pollard will be the intimidator at safety.

Hermie, in his interveiws, kept alluding to Lynch when discussing Pollard.

sedated
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
I think we are gonna move Wesley to Cornerback

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
I think Pollard will be the intimidator at safety.

Hermie, in his interveiws, kept alluding to Lynch when discussing Pollard.

I guess that puts DJ on the weakside; and we gotta hope Bell, Fox, or Griffin can man the Sam backer spot. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I think we are gonna move Wesley to Cornerback

Actually, I think he was better at Strong Saftey; if we'd have drafted a true FS (Ko Simpson)......that move might have made sense.

milkman
05-03-2006, 10:52 AM
I guess that puts DJ on the weakside; and we gotta hope Bell, Fox, or Griffin can man the Sam backer spot. :hmmm:

I think DJ is just fine where he's at, and I believe that Fox, if healthy can man the weakside.

Chiefnj
05-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm coming around to liking Pollard as a player, I'm just really not sure of his fit in KC right now and the fact that I really think the best move would have been to upgrade the DT position with Wroten.

milkman
05-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Actually, I think he was better at Strong Saftey; if we'd have drafted a true FS (Ko Simpson)......that move might have made sense.

I've been doing some reading, and I still think that my initial reaction to the Maxie pick is a good one.

He is FS safety material.

I've found a few draft sites that discuss this possibility.

Here's one.

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/insider/draft/2006/biosdetail.aspx?fname=Marcus&lname=Maxey&pos=CB

Maxey has the smarts to line up and play any position in the secondary. He is a good program performer and excellent special teams tackler who might not be a big playmaker, but will stick it to the ball carrier when hitting. Look for Maxey as a second day draft target who could bring nice value in nickel and dime packages. But without explosive quickness, he is better suited to play safety at the next level.

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I think DJ is just fine where he's at, and I believe that Fox, if healthy can man the weakside.

Technically, in the current system, they only play left or right OLB....maybe with Herm, they'll go to Will and Sam--at least for the cover 2 package. I think DJ could play either very well--probably more valuable at Will though.

I've been doing some reading, and I still think that my initial reaction to the Maxie pick is a good one.

He is FS safety material.

I've found a few draft sites that discuss this possibility.

Here's one.

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/insider/draft/2006/biosdetail.aspx?fname=Marcus&lname=Maxey&pos=CB

Maxey has the smarts to line up and play any position in the secondary. He is a good program performer and excellent special teams tackler who might not be a big playmaker, but will stick it to the ball carrier when hitting. Look for Maxey as a second day draft target who could bring nice value in nickel and dime packages. But without explosive quickness, he is better suited to play safety at the next level.

Well, if Wesley falters, it would be nice to have a backup plan.

PunkinDrublic
05-03-2006, 11:05 AM
You know a lot of people are knocking the Chiefs for making this pick but I'm going to put my faith in Herms ability to find talent for the defensive backfield.

Mr. Kotter
05-03-2006, 11:06 AM
You know a lot of people are knocking the Chiefs for making this pick but I'm going to put my faith in Herms ability to find talent for the defensive backfield.

I think most of us are on-board with Pollard, the question is Free Safety....

el borracho
05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Okay. I guess Herm must be comfortable with the idea of Wesley at FS then.....:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514From that quote, Hali (Freeney, Rice) makes sense to pair with Allen.....but two questions emerge:

1. Is Pollard the "intimidator" at safety (Sanders, Lynch, Brown), or the weakside LB (DJ on Strongside?)....? :hmmm:

I would bet money that Wesley stays at FS, Pollard stays at SS (may or may not start this year), and that Herm is counting on Sims to be a penetrating DT.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure Wroten gives us anything we don't already have.

He's got tons of athleticism and tons of question marks about his character, just like Sims.

Chiefnj
05-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure Wroten gives us anything we don't already have.

He's got tons of athleticism and tons of question marks about his character, just like Sims.

I think Wroten's character issues are more in the line of a Darnell Dockett as opposed to a Sims.

58-4ever
05-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I liked the Maxey pick. If you start in Miami's defensive backfield even for one year, you have to be a decent football player. He's another big corner at 6'2, which is why some would speculate that he may become a FS. Also, 4.5 isn't ideal for a CB, but you never know until they put the pads on.

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Bernie Pollard is a sledgehammer with a motor.

I was perplexed on draft day by the pick, but I can see now what they were doing and that's addressing our weak-ass safeties. Our defense is sorely lacking players that WANT to hit and Pollard, wants to hit. If he can carry that over to the NFL, it will be a huge boost to our defense. Players getting knocked on their asses a few times, tend to shy away from going over the middle, which is an advantage and something that could take place if Pollard keeps bringing the hammer.

Also, many had Pollard rated as the 2nd best SS in the draft. That's better value than the 14th overall CB, wouldn't you say?

milkman
05-03-2006, 11:50 AM
I look at Marcus Maxie, and I draw a comparison to Dwight Smith, who I believe played corner in college, and converted to safety in the pros.

buddha
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
You can't address every need in one draft...that's just a fact of life. I like what the Chiefs did and they will be able to supplement their draft through free agency. The writing is already on the wall for Wesley and the other safeties. Produce or get out.

CoMoChief
05-03-2006, 12:29 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2271514From that quote, Hali (Freeney, Rice) makes sense to pair with Allen.....but two questions emerge:

Shouldve signed Rocky Benard. That will hurt us this season.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Shouldve signed Rocky Benard. That will hurt us this season.

I'll bet it doesn't.

Demonpenz
05-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I can see a bunch of 15 yard penalty's in the future gets on the field. How wierd would it be to see a bunch of whiney bronco fans making a gif about how a hit wasn't legal?

Ultra Peanut
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
I just want to go on the record as saying that I was the first person on the Planet to have a Pollard avatar, and Reaper was the second.

Chiefnj
05-03-2006, 01:14 PM
I remember when Wesley and Woods liked to hit.

Is there a chance the Chiefs won't go cover two?

milkman
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I remember when Wesley and Woods liked to hit.

Is there a chance the Chiefs won't go cover two?

I think we'll see a lot of cover two, and Gun's man/blitz scheme.

I also think we'll even see a few 3-4 sets.

In other words, Gunt can't dazzle 'em, so he's gonna try to baffle 'em.

Chiefnj
05-03-2006, 01:19 PM
I think we'll see a lot of cover two, and Gun's man/blitz scheme.

I also think we'll even see a few 3-4 sets.

In other words, Gunt can't dazzle 'em, so he's gonna try to baffle 'em.

I hope Gun doesn't end up confusing himself.

tk13
05-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I still think there's a chance he plays some FS. We'll see. Don't forget that John Lynch himself plays Free Safety. It can be done.