PDA

View Full Version : Ty Law will visit Tennessee

brent102fire
05-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Titans | Team to visit with T. Law
Wed, 3 May 2006 06:29:56 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports free agent CB Ty Law (Jets) will visit with the Tennessee Titans sometime next week. "What we'll do is bring him in, give him a physical and let him visit with the coaches and see exactly where we are,'' Titans' general manager Floyd Reese said. "I don't know what our chances might be (of signing Law), but it's worth an attempt. We'll spend some time with him and see.'' Law has a big price tag, however, and right now the Titans don't have much money to work with. They could free up at cap money by releasing or trading QB Steve McNair. If the Titans can't sign Law, Reese said, the Titans still plan to add a veteran free agent cornerback at some point.

Already shy on depth and experience at cornerback, the Tennessee Titans have lost Michael Waddell for four to six months after he suffered a ruptured patella tendon in his right knee during an accident at his home. CP will low-ball Law and he will end up in Tennessee... :cuss: :banghead: :shake: :mad: :deevee:

BigChiefFan
05-03-2006, 11:07 AM
The cap-strapped Titans? If he signs there, we didn't want him very much.

StcChief
05-03-2006, 11:08 AM
If it's all about $$$ and playing for a sh1tty Titan team
good bye LAW dog.

or stand by your wanting to play along side Surtain.

Dunit35
05-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I guess if Law wants a better chance at winning another title he'd sign here.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 11:29 AM
We have alot more cap room than the Titans do.

King_Chief_Fan
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
sounds like posturing to me. The agent says to Law: "I know you don't want to play with the Titans, but you have to make a visit somewhere so that the tight ass Chiefs think that someone else might be interested. That will make them come to us with something. Don't worry, you won't have to play with the Titans...................................... I hope."

ROYC75
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Titans are not close to a SB, releasing McNair just to get cap space makes them farther away......

Just a plot by Postons to drive up price.......

Kclee
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM

Would we still have more if McNair gets released/traded? I wonder how much they would save exactly.

CupidStunt
05-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Even though McNair's cap hit is around $23 million, they'd save at LEAST $9 million by not paying him his base salary, putting them on equal terms with us.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Would we still have more if McNair gets released/traded? I wonder how much they would save exactly.

The way I heard it, he could cost as much as $23M against the cap. If they dump him, they would save ~ $12M, which means he's gonna cost $11M against the cap even if they get rid of him...

FAX
05-03-2006, 11:38 AM
The pundits in this market are reporting that McNair is definately going to the Ravens.

FAX THE INSIDER STUFF GUY

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 11:42 AM

No, we probably wouldn't.

But I can't see the Titans signing Law for more than we can pay anyhow.

The whole reason they want to let him go is because they don't want to pay $10M to one player.

Cochise
05-03-2006, 11:45 AM
I guess if Law wants a better chance at winning another title he'd sign here.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Law cares about anything but money.

Kclee
05-03-2006, 11:47 AM

to feed his family. Kids gotta eat.

John_Wayne
05-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Carl should bring him to KC and not let him leave without a contract. But, I'll believe it when I see it.

Dunit35
05-03-2006, 12:02 PM

Well that's the only chance we have at singing him unless Carl decides to offer him more than two cases of Dr. Pepper and a free one day pass to Worlds of Fun.

TEX
05-03-2006, 12:05 PM

True. But big deal because a big part will be what Lamar is willing to shell out on the signing bonus, and we know where the Chiefs stand on that issue this season.

TEX
05-03-2006, 12:10 PM

Exactly, Law has always been about the MONEY, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
True. But big deal because a big part will be what Lamar is willing to shell out on the signing bonus, and we know where the Chiefs stand on that issue this season.

VERY true.

brent102fire
05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Cornerback Waddell out four to six monthsBy Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Already shy on depth and experience at cornerback, the Tennessee Titans have lost Michael Waddell for four to six months after he suffered a ruptured patella tendon in his right knee during an accident at his home.

Michael Waddell
Cornerback
Tennessee Titans

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
18 14 4 0 1 0

The injury, sustained recently while Waddell was playing with his 2-year-old son, almost certainly means the two-year veteran will miss the start of the regular season and perhaps even the first month of the campaign. The uncertainty surrounding Waddell, a standout special teams performer, could prompt the Titans to seek a veteran cornerback.

The team's stating cornerbacks, Pacman Jones and Reynaldo Hill, have just one season of experience but started a combined 23 games as rookies in 2005. Jones has been absent from much of the Titans' offseason program.

Veteran backups Andre Woolfolk and Rich Gardner have started only 22 games between them in five combined seasons. A former first-round choice, Woolfolk has yet to progress beyond being primarily used as a nickel cornerback.

Team officials are tentatively scheduled to meet next week with free agent cornerback Ty Law, arguably the highest-profile player remaining in the unrestricted pool, although the two sides have not set a date for the visit. General manager Floyd Reese has also spoken with the representative for free agent Ahmed Plummer, once viewed as one of the top young cornerbacks in the league, but limited by injuries to only nine appearances over the past two seasons.

Waddell, 25, has appeared in all 32 games the past two seasons and has stated five of them. The former North Carolina standout has 66 tackles, one interception, five passes defensed and one-half sack. In two seasons, Waddell has 20 special teams tackles.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm not so sure having Law to mentor Pacman would be a good move. Law is not exactly known as a good character guy

ct
05-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Mr. Jones was misbehavin, so we brought in The Law!

CoMoChief
05-03-2006, 02:49 PM
This has to be all about money because the Titans arent going anywhere for a long time. Why would the Titans wanna do this from their business side, pay him a shit ton of money when they fully know that he wont help them get to the playoffs. If they still had their old players and werent in such cap hell then that would be one thing to add a player like him to add to a SB run.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
This has to be all about money because the Titans arent going anywhere for a long time. Why would the Titans wanna do this from their business side, pay him a shit ton of money when they fully know that he wont help them get to the playoffs. If they still had their old players and werent in such cap hell then that would be one thing to add a player like him to add to a SB run.

Exactly what I brought up earlier...why would they want to acquire Law and his price tag when their getting rid of McNair precisely because they don't want to tie up that much money in one aging player...

wolfpack0735
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Law should just hire an auction house to auction off his services. say start the bidding at 6 mil. he could careless about going to the best team.

ROYC75
05-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Clayton speaks today in ESPN sports pages ......

What's next for Ty Law?
The top free agent is cornerback Law, who wants a $10 million signing bonus and a $7 million salary. Since he's coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he had 10 interceptions, he's in a position to get it. The Chiefs remain the most likely team. The Seahawks were interested but drafted Kelly Jennings in the first round. The Patriots didn't draft a cornerback, and they still have $17 million of cap room. Could the Patriots bring Law back? They could, but that's being presumptuous. The Chiefs might be the more viable option.