PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude-8.0 Quake Strikes Near Tonga

ROYC75
05-03-2006, 12:03 PM
BANGKOK, Thailand - A magnitude-8.0 earthquake struck early Thursday near the South Pacific nation of Tonga, the U.S. Geological Survey said. A tsunami warning was issued for Fiji and New Zealand.

The temblor, classified by the USGS as a "great" quake, struck 95 miles south of Neiafu, Tonga, and 1,340 miles north-northeast of Auckland, New Zealand.

The U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued the tsunami warning but said it was not known whether the quake generated a potentially deadly giant wave.

Clint in Wichita
05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
BANGKOK, Thailand - A magnitude-8.0 earthquake struck early Thursday near the South Pacific nation of Tonga, the U.S. Geological Survey said. A tsunami warning was issued for Fiji and New Zealand.

The temblor, classified by the USGS as a "great" quake, struck 95 miles south of Neiafu, Tonga, and 1,340 miles north-northeast of Auckland, New Zealand.

The U.S. Pacific Tsunami Warning Center issued the tsunami warning but said it was not known whether the quake generated a potentially deadly giant wave.

At least New Zealand should have decent building codes in place...I don't know about Fiji.

I bring it up because building codes are the difference between several dozen deaths, or several thousand.

Rain Man
05-03-2006, 12:30 PM
This could devastate the Tongan economy.

Smoke
05-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Ohga Noga!

el borracho
05-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Now you see, I posted this shit an hour ago, nobody likes me... :deevee:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140190
Well, not to kick you while you're down but it's probably the annoying cartoons in your avatar and sig and all that nosensical "giggity" crap.

Bootlegged
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I hope The Tonga Kid is okay. Luckily, Superfly Jimmy Snuka lives about 30 minutes from me, so I know he's allright.....or at least not killed in a Toga(n)? earthquake.

http://www.wrestlingtradingcards.com/images/1985_wrestling_all_stars/allstars_48.jpg