PDA

View Full Version : Will Brad Smith be good...

DMAC
05-03-2006, 02:20 PM
as a WR? Or will he end up a QB?

Discuss...

InChiefsHell
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
He's a hell of an athlete that's for sure...but I don't see him as a QB. If he stays healthy, he will probably be a pretty good reciever.

ChiefsOne
05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I think he could be a 'good' QB if given the opportunity, great I am not sure about. WR I have no idea since I have never seen him play WR.

SBK
05-03-2006, 02:25 PM
He was a "reach" I'm sure.

sedated
05-03-2006, 02:27 PM
He can't throw worth a damn, no way he makes it as a QB.

I think he has the size to be a safety, but that transition has never worked out.

htismaqe
Guys like that rarely work out at any position...

DMAC
I think he could be a 'good' QB if given the opportunity, great I am not sure about. WR I have no idea since I have never seen him play WR.See, I think he would make a good QB in the NFL as long as he had good coaching and good veteran leadership helping him.

But in New York that just is not the case. So unless he gets shipped off to say Seattle or something like that, he will probably drift away... or end up like Randal El... you never know.

DMAC
05-03-2006, 02:29 PM
He can't throw worth a damn, no way he makes it as a QB.

I think he has the size to be a safety, but that transition has never worked out.A safety?! Who else has tried that one?

tk13
05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
There's no way he'll be a QB. The Jets already took a QB in the 2nd round, plus they have Ramsey and Pennington... so Smith probably isn't gonna get any practice at QB.

sedated
05-03-2006, 02:34 PM
A safety?! Who else has tried that one?

the Jets tried it with Scott Frost (the Nebraska QB)

he played a couple years (and started) but was nothing special.

DMAC
05-03-2006, 02:35 PM
the Jets tried it with Scott Frost (the Nebraska QB)

he played a couple years (and started) but was nothing special.Didnt Eric Crouch try to be a CB or a safety?

buddha
05-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I think the Jets will use him on offense and he'll be a "Slash" kind of player. I don't see him playing QB, but I could see him getting the ball with a run/pass option. He is very dangerous in the open field, as we all know. It's obvious that the Jets have a plan for him considering where he went in the draft.

KCChiefsMan
05-03-2006, 02:45 PM
it worked out pretty well for Anquan Boldin

Bowser
05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Didnt Eric Crouch try to be a CB or a safety?

Not really.

htismaqe
05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
it worked out pretty well for Anquan Boldin

Boldin played QB in high school.

He played QB in ONE game because FSU had no QB's ready to play. He threw 16 passes in his entire college career.

Not at all analogous to Smith.

ROYC75
05-03-2006, 03:52 PM
A safety?! Who else has tried that one?

Rams ........ Nolan Cromwell. But Norm played defense before being switched to QB.

Skip Towne
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Rams ........ Nolan Cromwell. But Norm played defense before being switched to QB.
Rollin' Nolan was not really a QB. He just was in charge of the Wishbone offense. He and another one of his DB mates were in the Rams defensive backfield together. I can't remember his name.

Baconeater
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
No, once he found out he wasn't going to get a shot at QB he quit.

KCinNY
05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Corby Jones had a shot as a safety with the Ravens, but never made the final roster.

Smith simply can't throw like an NFL QB. I hear he's a really nice guy(unlike Jones) so I hope he makes it as a WR.

farmerchief
05-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Rollin' Nolan was not really a QB. He just was in charge of the Wishbone offense. He and another one of his DB mates were in the Rams defensive backfield together. I can't remember his name.

Would that be LeRoy Irvin CB?

Sure-Oz
05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
I could see him in the Antwan Randel EL meche, better speed though I believe. Slash type player but his best bet is to stay at WR.....I think he still wants to be a QB.

Skip Towne
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Would that be LeRoy Irvin CB?
Yep. That's who it was.

DMAC
05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I could see him in the Antwan Randel EL meche, better speed though I believe. Slash type player but his best bet is to stay at WR.....I think he still wants to be a QB.I really hope he can make it as a WR, or anything for that matter. The guy has too much athletic talent to let it go to waste in the business world.

WilliamTheIrish
05-03-2006, 10:17 PM
He'll be great as a qb. In the CFL.

Pitt Gorilla
05-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Guys like that rarely work out at any position...Ward and Randal El?

InChiefsHell
05-04-2006, 07:59 AM

Ah, the story of Eric "Spoiled Rotten" Crouch. He got drafted by the Rams who intended to use him as a reciever. Played in like one or two pre-season games, but quit because he really wanted to play QB. After a few months, the Packers tried to get him, and told him that he could be #3 on the QB depth chart but that they wanted him to return kicks and be a reciever. I thought he had actually signed with them, but if so it was very short lived. Then just last season, the Chiefs picked him up and sent him to Europe, where he played safety for the Sea Devils. He was injured after like 2 games and didn't finish the season. Last I heard, he is playing in the CFL, who knows how well he'll do up there.

Prima Donna. If he would have just accepted the fact that he is not NFL QB and been willing to learn, he was athletic enough to play DB or WR. It did work out for Scott Frost, he had a 6 year NFL career and was a starter. No, he ain't going to the hall of fame, but he is a millionaire now and can pretty much call his own shots in life. Crouch learned too late.

MahiMike
05-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Hey, Matt Jones ended up being one of the best rookie WR's last year and he never played the position. Brad can do it too.

Boozer
05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
He'll be great as a qb. In the CFL.

Damn it. I was going to post this verbatim, but I saw this thing had over twenty replies and figured someone might have beat me to it. Well done.

Brock
05-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Ward and Randal El?

Ward?

DMAC
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Last I heard, he is playing in the CFL, who knows how well he'll do up there.
Seems like I heard he entered the business world, to work for his dad or something. But I am going straight off what the back of my mind is telling me, so...

DMAC
05-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Ward?Does he mean Charlie Ward? The hesimann winning basketball player?

Baconeater
05-04-2006, 09:16 AM
Seems like I heard he entered the business world, to work for his dad or something. But I am going straight off what the back of my mind is telling me, so...
That is correct, he started a business installing swingsets and playground equipment here in Omaha.

Bowser
05-04-2006, 09:38 AM
That is correct, he started a business installing swingsets and playground equipment here in Omaha.

What is it with former Nebraska players continuing to pimp various businesses long after they're gone? I remember seeing billboards with Scott Frost and John Parella pushing businesses and thinking, "wow. Those guys are long gone from Cornhusker football."

The problem with Crouch was that he was a local kid, and the man on campus at Lincoln. He got away from that life into the real world, and couldn't handle not being the man anymore. Nevermind the life of fame and luxury being an NFL player brings, even if you are a third round draft choice.

My sister-in-law went to Lincoln Weleyan the same time Crouch was at UN. Said she ran into him several times at different places, and every time he was a world class dick.

Baconeater
05-04-2006, 10:17 AM
What is it with former Nebraska players continuing to pimp various businesses long after they're gone? I remember seeing billboards with Scott Frost and John Parella pushing businesses and thinking, "wow. Those guys are long gone from Cornhusker football."

The problem with Crouch was that he was a local kid, and the man on campus at Lincoln. He got away from that life into the real world, and couldn't handle not being the man anymore. Nevermind the life of fame and luxury being an NFL player brings, even if you are a third round draft choice.

My sister-in-law went to Lincoln Weleyan the same time Crouch was at UN. Said she ran into him several times at different places, and every time he was a world class dick.
Because once a Husker player brings any type of glory to the program, Husker fans will mindlessly support them in whatever business they are in. It's basically a free pass to success.

As far as Crouch being a dick, one of my friends is a bricklayer, and he was working in a neighborhood that he had heard Eric built a house in a while back. Well, lo and behold, one day he saw Eric working in his yard right next door to the house he was working on. He approached him and said "aren't you Eric Crouch?" and he flat-out denied it!

Boozer
05-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Because once a Husker player brings any type of glory to the program, Husker fans will mindlessly support them in whatever business they are in. It's basically a free pass to success.

As far as Crouch being a dick, one of my friends is a bricklayer, and he was working in a neighborhood that he had heard Eric built a house in a while back. Well, lo and behold, one day he saw Eric working in his yard right next door to the house he was working on. He approached him and said "aren't you Eric Crouch?" and he flat-out denied it!

He pulled a Tony Dungy!

DMAC
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM
As far as Crouch being a dick, one of my friends is a bricklayer, and he was working in a neighborhood that he had heard Eric built a house in a while back. Well, lo and behold, one day he saw Eric working in his yard right next door to the house he was working on. He approached him and said "aren't you Eric Crouch?" and he flat-out denied it!and I am sure it said crouch on his mailbox, he was holding a stack of mail that said Eric Crouch on it, and he was wearing a Nebraska shirt.

duncan_idaho
05-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Ward?
Hines Ward is who he was talking about, i believe... he was a pretty damn good quarterback at Georgia before moving to WR.

DMAC
05-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Hines Ward is who he was talking about, i believe... he was a pretty damn good quarterback at Georgia before moving to WR.Wow, I did not know that.

Deberg_1990
05-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Of course he will be good. Hes the next Michael Bishop.

Clint in Wichita
05-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Of course he will be good. Hes the next Michael Bishop.

I was thinking Scott Frost.

Sully
05-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Hines Ward is who he was talking about, i believe... he was a pretty damn good quarterback at Georgia before moving to WR.

The difference being that Ward played WR at times at Georgia. As did Randle El. I don't think Matt Jones did, but he is a far better athlete than BD. Smith.

duncan_idaho
05-04-2006, 12:53 PM
The difference being that Ward played WR at times at Georgia. As did Randle El. I don't think Matt Jones did, but he is a far better athlete than BD. Smith.

Yeah, I think Ward moved after his freshman or sophomore year... he also played running back at Georgia. Versatile guy.

I didn't remember Randel El ever playing WR... was that early in his career?

I'm not sure what to think of Smith's ability to make the transition... he's such an athlete, he'd be a great slot receiver. His quickness and moves would be put to good use there... but he still insists he can be a quarterback (keep dreaming, Brad), and I'm not sure how he'll respond to the coaching. I think he's too much of a by-the-book guy... seems afraid to deviate or make a mistake.

Scared is no way to play... thanks, Gary Pinkel.

Skip Towne
05-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Matt Jones played both QB and WR at Arkansas.