PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Slot Machines, more secure than US Voting Machines... washingtonpost.com

Ari Chi3fs
05-04-2006, 04:36 PM
How To Steal an Election

It's easier to rig an electronic voting machine than a Las Vegas slot machine, says University of Pennsylvania visiting professor Steve Freeman. That's because Vegas slots are better monitored and regulated than America's voting machines, Freeman writes in a book out in July that argues, among other things, that President Bush may owe his 2004 win to an unfair vote count. We'll wait to read his book before making a judgment about that. But Freeman has assembled comparisons that suggest Americans protect their vices more than they guard their rights, according to data he presented at an October meeting of the American Statistical Association in Philadelphia.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2006/03/16/GR2006031600213.gif

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2006/03/16/GR2006031600213.html

jiveturkey
05-04-2006, 04:51 PM
America, **** YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother ****ing day yeah

patteeu
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
So is the suggestion here that we put a politician (similar to the head of the Nevada Gaming Commission) in charge of keeping the voting machines honest? I'm not saying that's a bad idea, but it has it's obvious flaws too. As do paper ballots collected and counted by the government, of course.

It seems reasonable to me that there should be some kind of independent verification/certification process available for electronic voting machines, but no matter what process is developed, there will be ways to criticize it. I'm sure that most of the states that have adopted electronic voting machines have also adopted some process aimed at maintaining the integrity of the vote count and I'm also sure that those processes can be improved in some way.

BucEyedPea
05-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Good post patteeu.

The foxes can regulate the chickens but who regulates the foxes?

I do think a paper receipt is one good idea...in fact is a must do.

Adept Havelock
05-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Good post patteeu.

The foxes can regulate the chickens but who regulates the foxes?

I do think a paper receipt is one good idea...in fact is a must do.

The paper receipt is ridiculously easy to circumvent. There is a great website on how to rig these Diebold machines. The only way to prevent fraud is to mandate that voting machines disclose the full source code for their machines.

banyon
05-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Bob Fitrakis and Harvey Wasserman, The Columbus Free Press

Ohio's Republican Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell has grabbed the GOP nomination for governor in a vote count riddled with machine breakdowns. In Franklin and Delaware Counties, election officials had to "shut down and recalibrate [machines] throughout the day," according to the Columbus Dispatch. Election officials use recalibration as a code word when machines are malfunctioning including the recording of votes for wrong candidates.

Blackwell became infamous in 2004 for his role in swinging the Buckeye State, and the presidency, to George W. Bush, with whom he met with on Election Day in Columbus. Karl Rove also accompanied Bush on his visit to Columbus. Exit polls showed a clear victory for John Kerry until a massive mysterious late vote surge reversed the popular vote for Bush. The state was later the target of the first Congressional challenge to an electoral delegation in US history.

Blackwell is the first African-American nominated by a major party for the Ohio governorship. The nod is widely considered a pay-back for his role in stealing the 2004 election, just as Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris was handed a safe Congressional seat after handing the state to Bush in 2000. Harris is currently a US representative is now a candidate for the US Senate. Both Harris and Blackwell simultaneously oversaw their state's vote count while serving as co-chairs of the Bush-Cheney campaign.

article continues...
http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2006/1953

jAZ
05-07-2006, 10:16 AM
The only way to prevent fraud is to mandate that voting machines disclose the full source code for their machines.
http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Bob Fitrakis and Harvey Wasserman, The Columbus Free Press

Ohio's Republican Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell has grabbed the GOP nomination for governor in a vote count riddled with machine breakdowns. In Franklin and Delaware Counties, election officials had to "shut down and recalibrate [machines] throughout the day," according to the Columbus Dispatch. Election officials use recalibration as a code word when machines are malfunctioning including the recording of votes for wrong candidates.

Blackwell became infamous in 2004 for his role in swinging the Buckeye State, and the presidency, to George W. Bush, with whom he met with on Election Day in Columbus. Karl Rove also accompanied Bush on his visit to Columbus. Exit polls showed a clear victory for John Kerry until a massive mysterious late vote surge reversed the popular vote for Bush. The state was later the target of the first Congressional challenge to an electoral delegation in US history.

Blackwell is the first African-American nominated by a major party for the Ohio governorship. The nod is widely considered a pay-back for his role in stealing the 2004 election, just as Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris was handed a safe Congressional seat after handing the state to Bush in 2000. Harris is currently a US representative is now a candidate for the US Senate. Both Harris and Blackwell simultaneously oversaw their state's vote count while serving as co-chairs of the Bush-Cheney campaign.

article continues...
http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2006/1953

As a resident of Ohio, I can confirm that Blackwell is a world class ass clown and Republican Stooge. He's every bit as corrupt as Taft. For some reason, when I think of him, I'm reminded of a book by Harriet Beecher Stowe :hmmm:

Adept Havelock
05-07-2006, 12:03 PM
For some reason, when I think of him, I'm reminded of a book by Harriet Beecher Stowe :hmmm::rolleyes:

While I also disagree with the mans politics, your statement leads me to believe you are again either trolling for, or allowing your own (latent?) racist views to come forth.

Just because he doesn't act in a manner that fits your pre-concieved notions of how a black man should behave, he's an "Uncle Tom"? Or is it because he supports a political ideal other than the one you believe black people should support? After all, his ideas couldn't have anything to do with the fact that every human being is different, with differing ideals of what "should be" when it comes to matters of politics, could it?

Personally, I figure if you are indicative of the Democratic Party in Ohio, GOP shennanigans nonwithstanding, I can see why your party has had so much difficulty in that state in the last few election cycles.

BucEyedPea
05-07-2006, 12:29 PM
The paper receipt is ridiculously easy to circumvent. There is a great website on how to rig these Diebold machines. The only way to prevent fraud is to mandate that voting machines disclose the full source code for their machines.

Oh it is? How? Just curious...not sarcasm.
Disclosing code...well if that makes it even safer against fraud..sure!

patteeu
05-07-2006, 01:38 PM
The nod is widely considered a pay-back for his role in stealing the 2004 election

ROFL

go bowe
05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
pay back?

i thought payback was when you get even with somebody or something like that...

are the republicans punishing their guy for his good work during the election?

banyon
05-07-2006, 03:21 PM
ROFL
http://www.elliottbaybook.com/events/nov05/covers/miller.jpg