PDA

View Full Version : Brake repair cost???

alnorth
05-04-2006, 07:05 PM
OK, so from a combination of laziness and stupidity, I didnt get my brakes checked for over a year. Today while leaving the parking garage at work, I notice the brake light is on. When I turn to leave, I hit the brakes while turning to the intersection and the brake feels really funny. I hear this weird metallic grinding noise, I almost hit a car before the brakes finally catch hold. I drive very slowly all the way home on back roads, with the problem sometimes reoccuring, sometimes not.

The car goes to the shop tomorrow morning, and it will cost $90 just to diagnose the problem. Any idea how badly I could get hammered when they figure out whats wrong with the brakes?

Bwana
05-04-2006, 07:10 PM
OK, so from a combination of laziness and stupidity, I didnt get my brakes checked for over a year. Today while leaving the parking garage at work, I notice the brake light is on. When I turn to leave, I hit the brakes while turning to the intersection and the brake feels really funny. I hear this weird metallic grinding noise, I almost hit a car before the brakes finally catch hold. I drive very slowly all the way home on back roads, with the problem sometimes reoccuring, sometimes not.

The car goes to the shop tomorrow morning, and it will cost $90 just to diagnose the problem. Any idea how badly I could get hammered when they figure out whats wrong with the brakes? Year, make, model? You are already getting screwed if they are hitting you with $90 to tell you it needs pads, the rotors turned and a caliper or two. (Or new ones) There, I just did, you owe me a beer.:)

alnorth
05-04-2006, 07:14 PM
2000 Chevy Blazer, diagnosis cost quoted by the local Chevy dealer.

Bwana
05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I have to be honest bud, the Chevy dealer is screwing you. It takes 3 minutes to buzz the wheels and take a look, $90 indeed. If you were closer, I would have you bring it over (And some tasty beverages) and we could likely knock out the entire job for around $90.00.

Hydrae
05-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Ok, problem one is going to the dealer. They will charge you an arm and a leg and seriously consider your first born.

Sounds like you will need some work done. There are places that will do brakes for $100 an axle but that is just the basics. I can pretty much guarantee you need more than just new pads. So I would honestly expect something approaching $300 as a ballpark figure. From the dealer, double that amount.

Bwana
05-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Yep, what you need to do is talk to your friends. One of them is going to know a wrench. Call the old boy up and have him knock it out on his own time and it will be half price. As Hydrae stated, the worst place to take it is the dealer most of the time, they have the highest prices and brakes are no big deal.

Psyko Tek
05-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Last time I took a truck to Just Brakes they soaked me for $700....

that was the last time, I learned to diagnoss and do what I can

they will f*ck you hard given the chance

alnorth
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the advice, if it werent for yall I probably would have went to the dealer and gotten screwed.

I called an auto service place in Des Moines that has late hours to 9pm 7 days a week, and they quoted me $20 to look at the brakes and tell me the problem. That sounds a lot more reasonable to me, so we'll see how it goes.

Bwana
05-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the advice, if it werent for yall I probably would have went to the dealer and gotten screwed.

I called an auto service place in Des Moines that has late hours to 9pm 7 days a week, and they quoted me $20 to look at the brakes and tell me the problem. That sounds a lot more reasonable to me, so we'll see how it goes.

Good deal, you already saved $70. :)

OldTownChief
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Jack up the car, pull off the front wheels, look at the pads and roters. (your pads are gone rubbing metal to metal) Tale off the pads and roters, toss the pads, take the rotors to Auto Zone, buy a set of pads for your make/model and ask them to turn the rotors for you. Way under $90 for the whole job and not to hard to figure out even if you don't do this sort og thing. If the rotors can't be turned down for you than you can buy new ones fairly cheap.