PDA

View Full Version : How will T. Richs departure affect the running game?

UteChief
05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
What are your feelings? Damn I should have put up a poll!

FAX
05-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Our run game will suffer, I imagine, Mr. UteChief. But, not as bad as our pass protection.

FAX

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2006, 08:12 PM
It's a f*cked situation guys like T-Rich don't grow on trees. That guy was a gladiator in every sense.

burt
05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
I fear LJ may have to take some very small holes and make 'em bigger...and that ain't good for longevity.

ChiefGator
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
That guy was a gladiator in every sense.

Well... not in EVERY sense, of course.

Moooo
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I would say he could make about 200-300 yards difference passing.

Tony was one of the greatest unsung players of the NFL. Hardly anyone could tell you what he did, but yet he was nothing short of amazing.

Moooo

Edited to specify passing game.

UteChief
05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Our run game will suffer, I imagine, Mr. UteChief. But, not as bad as our pass protection.

FAX

Damn it, Trents going to die.

DJay23
05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Larry prefers one back sets.

rocks
05-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Better have the back up QB thing worked out and LJ better hope big Willie still has the wheels!

htismaqe
05-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I would say he could make about 200-300 yards difference passing.

Tony was one of the greatest unsung players of the NFL. Hardly anyone could tell you what he did, but yet he was nothing short of amazing.

Moooo

Edited to specify passing game.

Yardage won't drop off that much, primarily because we didn't use TRich that much between the 20's.

What WILL dropoff is redzone scoring. He was money inside the 10.

Moooo
05-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Yardage won't drop off that much, primarily because we didn't use TRich that much between the 20's.

What WILL dropoff is redzone scoring. He was money inside the 10.

Good point. Points are the only stat that actually matters. The others we just look at for justification of the score.

I was just figuring one 10-20 yard pass a game would be affected. Though I do agree with you.

Tony is a machine. He does what he's supposed to do without problems, and doesn't ask to be given credit for it.

Moooo

Halfcan
05-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Slaughter will be a Terminator for LJ and Q.

el borracho
05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Depends on who we put in to replace him. I would feel really confident putting Dunn in as a fullback in goal line/ short yardage situations. Can't really say about Wilson/ Cruz/ etc. because we haven't seen enough to judge yet.

SNR
05-04-2006, 10:06 PM
We should be thankful that we were at least able to keep Jason Dunn. That off tackle left play sure won't be what it used to be when we lose him eventually.

Bowser
05-04-2006, 10:10 PM
We should be thankful that we were at least able to keep Jason Dunn. That off tackle left play sure won't be what it used to be when we lose him eventually.

No doubt.

I suspect we'll see more two tight end sets than we have in the past.

wazu
05-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Holcombe is capable if healthy, but it's still not the same. T-Rich was/is my favorite Chief of all time.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 05:16 AM
ROFL

Adam, I luv ya man, but this will be like the 50th time in the last couple of weeks that this has been said:

We reached an injury settlement with Holcomb a while ago. He's not on the team.

jspchief
05-05-2006, 05:36 AM
I think he'll be missed considerably in short yardage situations.

I keep hearing about how he's only on the field for 20% of the plays, but no one seems to consider that those plays are typically some of the most important plays in the game.

I still think it's bullshit that we let him go, especially considering that he wasn't that expensive anyway. We had better spend that cap space on some other player. Otherwise, the stupidity of losing him will just be compounded.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 05:56 AM
I think he'll be missed considerably in short yardage situations.

I keep hearing about how he's only on the field for 20% of the plays, but no one seems to consider that those plays are typically some of the most important plays in the game.

I still think it's bullshit that we let him go, especially considering that he wasn't that expensive anyway. We had better spend that cap space on some other player. Otherwise, the stupidity of losing him will just be compounded.

You're 100% right.

Rausch
05-05-2006, 06:14 AM
You're 100% right.

Yep.

And we've drafted/signed WHO to replace him?...

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Yep.

And we've drafted/signed WHO to replace him?...

Well, I would argue that you don't just "replace" him. The only way we're gonna do that is to trade for Lorenzo Neal or something.

We just have to move on. Solari isn't an idiot, he'll come up with something.

Rausch
05-05-2006, 06:30 AM
Well, I would argue that you don't just "replace" him. The only way we're gonna do that is to trade for Lorenzo Neal or something.

We just have to move on. Solari isn't an idiot, he'll come up with something.

So far he's come up with squat.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 06:34 AM
So far he's come up with squat.

Well, it's not Solari's job to come up with BODIES to fill the position.

It's his job to adapt the scheme to compensate for the loss.

Rausch
05-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Well, it's not Solari's job to come up with BODIES to fill the position.

It's his job to adapt the scheme to compensate for the loss.

I'm just saying there's been no replacement so far.

We don't even HAVE a b/u FB...

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 06:41 AM
I'm just saying there's been no replacement so far.

We don't even HAVE a b/u FB...

Yes we do. Ronnie Cruz has been on the roster for over a year.

Rausch
05-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Yes we do. Ronnie Cruz has been on the roster for over a year.

Right.

What was I thinking...

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Right.

What was I thinking...

So you were being facetious when you said, We don't even HAVE a b/u FB...

Rausch
05-05-2006, 06:55 AM
So you were being facetious when you said, We don't even HAVE a b/u FB...

No, I really feel we have no legit replacement for TRich...

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 06:58 AM
No, I really feel we have no legit replacement for TRich...

I never said he was legit. But he is a warm body.

And it pretty simple:

EVERYBODY is gonna look like a warm body when compared to TRich.

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 07:38 AM
damn server...

Rausch
05-05-2006, 07:40 AM
I never said he was legit. But he is a warm body.

And it pretty simple:

EVERYBODY is gonna look like a warm body when compared to TRich.

And Girbac was a warm body to Steve Young.

We need a legit replacement...

FAX
05-05-2006, 07:49 AM
This is funny. This thread shows three (3) pages. But, when I click on the little 3 number, I go back to here (2).

Will this post be transported via worm hole to Sri Lanka? Only one way to find out. Please remain seated.

FAX

FAX
05-05-2006, 07:51 AM
And Girbac was a warm body to Steve Young.

We need a legit replacement...

I don't think that Trich is a guy you "replace". That's the problem, Mr. Rausch. You can find someone to play fullback, but replacing Trich is another matter entirely.

He was the kidneys of this team.

FAX

Rausch
05-05-2006, 07:54 AM
I don't think that Trich is a guy you "replace". That's the problem, Mr. Rausch. You can find someone to play fullback, but replacing Trich is another matter entirely.

He was the kidneys of this team.

FAX

TRich was a stud. Al Pro.

We don't need an al Pro but we do need a solid starter an solid blocker.

No all world, just solid.

We don't have anything that even resembles solid.

I'm not asking to bring in Marino after Montana, just a Deberg or Trent Green...

FAX
05-05-2006, 07:59 AM

I'm not asking to bring in Marino after Montana, just a Deberg or Trent Green...

I'm not arguing with you, Mr. Rausch. Quite the contrary. I am in agreement. But, guys like TRich don't fall from the kidney tree. Cruz is a significant step down, at least based on what I've seen from him in the past. Perhaps he will surprise us, though.

There are probably fewer than 5 fullbacks in TRich's category in the league (I can think of only two or three right now), so a step down is likely. When I want to see the full portion of the glass, however, I remember that the Chiefs have a history of developing excellence at that position. At one time, I thought no one could replace Anders' level of play.

FAX

htismaqe
05-05-2006, 08:07 AM

I honestly think the Slaughter kid out of Auburn will be the guy you're looking for.

Warrior5
05-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Significant affect. As has been already posted, we'll miss Richardson's presence mostly in pass protection, short yardage, inside Red zone, and during "20 Z Blast" or whatever it's called.

Hated to see T-Rich leave...

Logical
05-05-2006, 09:23 AM
What are your feelings? Damn I should have put up a poll!

It is not to late to make this a poll. At the bottom of the page on right is an option for the thread creator to add a poll to the thread.

Brock
05-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I doubt it's any big deal.

Logical
05-05-2006, 09:31 AM
I honestly think the Slaughter kid out of Auburn will be the guy you're looking for.

I agree and he fits the profile of how we typically find our fullbacks, through UDFA. Fullbacks rarely get much attention in college and it is not at all unusual for good ones to be passed over in the draft.

Iowanian
05-05-2006, 09:36 AM
I think it'll be noticable on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and the goal line. Even if Cruz steps up, or Slaughter comes from nowhere to be the real deal, it'll take even a punishing blocker a couple of years of experience to become as effective as Trich, just because he knew how to seal a hole.

I think the Chiefs running game will still be fine. Trich was an undrafted RFA also....just like Slaughter, who is also coincidently from Auburn.....and a punishing blocker.

CupidStunt
05-05-2006, 09:42 AM
I agree. I don't see the running game taking much of a hit; certainly not a costly one.

What I also agree with is what someone said earlier, "the passing game will struggle" (early).