PDA

View Full Version : MSU Kicker trying out for Chiefs

ChiefsOne
05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
MSU kicker rated in top three of kickers this year. He is invited to Chiefs mini-camp this weekend.

Jon Scifres

At MSU: After a banner season in 2004, Jon Scifres goes into this season having established himself as one of the premier kickers in college football. He was the most decorated kicker in Division I-AA a year ago, earning consensus first team All-America honors to go with his all-Gateway first team selection after connecting on all 15 field goal attempts, an NCAA record for most without a miss, and 34-of-35 PATs last season. Scifres finished fourth nationally with 1.36 field goals per game and was the only one of the top 48 kickers who did not miss a field goal. He didnít discriminate in his attempts, hitting five each from 20-29 yards, 30-39 yards and 40-49 yards. His longest three-pointer of the year of 49 yards came at Northern Iowa, while his high game for field goals kicked was three against Western Illinois. His only PAT miss of the year was vs. Western Illinois. Scifres booted a game-winning field goal with two seconds left to beat Indiana State, and also provided the winning margin with his kick-scoring points against Drake, Sam Houston State, Western Illinois and Youngstown State. Scifres enters his senior year third in SMS career field goals. He also doubled as the Bearsí punter, earning honorable mention all-Gateway honors after averaging 39.2 yards on 57 punts, with 15 downed inside the 20-yard line. He connected on 11-of-20 field goals, with a long of 42 yards, and 28-of-30 extra point attempts as a sophomore. He was voted Freshman Player of the Year by the coaching staff in 2002 after connecting on 3-of-6 field goals in the latter half of the season and providing most of the kickoff work for the Bears over the last eight games of the campaign. Scifres saw his first action against Southeast Missouri State and tried his first field goal Oct. 12 at Indiana State. He then hit three of his final five attempts during his freshman year, with a long of 46 yards coming against Western Illinois.

Background: Scifres came to Missouri State from Destrehan High in suburban New Orleans, where he was a three-year letterman and averaged 42 yards per punt to help Destrehan to an undefeated 10-0 season his senior year. He earned all-district honors his last two years and added all-metro and Special Teams Player of the Year as a senior.

Personal: His full name is Jonathan Kyle Scifres. He was born December 19, 1983, in Metairie, Louisiana, the son of Jim and Debborah Scifres. He is the brother of former Western Illinois record-holding punting standout and current San Diego Charger Mike Scifres. The two brothers faced each other 11/2/02 when MSU and WIU met at Plaster Field. Jonís major is crime and society.

Woodrow Call
05-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Nice competition for Tynes. Scifres is very accurate and has a decent leg.

SNR
05-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Isn't his brother or something like that a punter in the league?

Crush
05-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Isn't his brother or something like that a punter in the league?

He is the brother of former Western Illinois record-holding punting standout and current San Diego Charger Mike Scifres.

Thig Lyfe
05-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Well, kicking is one thing that stays just about the same throughout all college levels. If he's as good as this blurb says he is, he could seriously challenge Tynes.

Reaper16
05-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I was surprised that he wasn't the 1st kicker drafted.

Ultra Peanut
05-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I was surprised that he wasn't the 1st kicker drafted.That's what you get for doubting Gotti. The Pats know what's up.

http://random-m.com/images/1371791820_double.jpg

ChiefsOne
05-05-2006, 04:55 PM
The kicker from Memphis was rated #1 on most boards, but Scifres was 2nd on most. There was a 3rd rated kicker taken by the Chargers.

Crush
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
One of my good buddies has a couple of classes with Scifres. He said Scifres told him that he's going to sign with the Chiefs.

recxjake
05-16-2006, 11:52 AM
did tynes resign with the chiefs? I thought he was a restricted free agent and we offered him a tender offer but i never heard if he signed it

StcChief
05-16-2006, 11:52 AM
One of my good buddies has a couple of classes with Scifres. He said Scifres told him that he's going to sign with the Chiefs.

What's the term....

He's counting chickens before the eggs are hatched. :rolleyes:

ct
05-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Tynes has done fairly well, but his hook shots still concern me. Glad to see at least he doesn't get a free pass this offseason.

Iowanian
05-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Even if Tynes IS the man with the job this year, the Chiefs need another leg in camp to keep Tynes' leg fresh for the season anyway....same as the punter recently signed that some of the morooons lambasted.

chefsos
05-16-2006, 03:41 PM
Even if Tynes IS the man with the job this year, the Chiefs need another leg in camp to keep Tynes' leg fresh for the season anyway....same as the punter recently signed that some of the morooons lambasted.
I could be wrong, but another possible benefit is if the kid is impressive but doesn't unseat Tynes, some team may give up something to get him, as opposed to the Chiefs just cutting him.

Ralphy Boy
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I could be wrong, but another possible benefit is if the kid is impressive but doesn't unseat Tynes, some team may give up something to get him, as opposed to the Chiefs just cutting him.

I'd say the odds of us getting a draft pick for a player who went undrafted and has never played a regular season down are about as good as the odds are of us winning a Superbowl this season.

recxjake
05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
If he impresses the coaches he will probably get on the P.S. and then will go over to NFLE

chefsos
05-16-2006, 06:38 PM
I'd say the odds of us getting a draft pick for a player who went undrafted and has never played a regular season down are about as good as the odds are of us winning a Superbowl this season.
So you're saying there's a chance...

Skip Towne
05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
That sounds like a major league leg. Why did he go to MSU?

Crush
05-16-2006, 07:17 PM
That sounds like a major league leg. Why did he go to MSU?

Because this place is rockin'.

jspchief
05-17-2006, 07:11 AM
I hate to say it, but if he can kick-off better than Tynes, it might be worth the extra roster spot. Tynes has been pretty solid on FGs, but he sucks kicking off.

I'm willing to sacrifice a roster spot to finally get our STs in order.