PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Baked Beans

Bwana
05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
All the talk on the other thread about smokers and beans has me on a beans Jones. What are the best beans you have had in your life? (recipes would be a BIG bonus) The best I have had would would be a toss up between the Jack Stack/Smoke Stack and Perry Fosters. Both of those places had GREAT beans!! Both are a lighter color mix when they are done (more brown sugar?) I would give my right arm to get one of those two recipes. :drool:

So spill the beans! Let us know who has the best, bean making secrets, recipes and so on!

Also please feel free to share any BBQ tips or recipes that makes yours (or theirs) the very best!

Happy BBQing!

Immaculate
05-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Smokehouse BBQ in the northland.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Smokehouse BBQ in the northland.

Are they a lighter or darker mix?

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:01 AM
http://209.215.174.122/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_27733,00.html

There you go. You owe me a beer. but you can keep your right arm.

1 (32-ounce) can pork and beans
1 cup chopped brisket
1 cup BBQ sauce (recommended: Jack Stack Original)
4 heaping tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan. Over medium heat, bring beans to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook beans for 20 minutes or until a thick, soupy consistency is reached. Serve.
This recipe also works well on a grill, letting the great outdoors permeate and enhance the flavor of the beans as they cook.

Phobia
I made a couple really good batches last year. But I cheat and use a lot of meat and a lot of heat in my beans.

CosmicPal
Smokestack.

I like to make my own beans with brown sugar, bacon, honey, and onions. Of course, isn't that how everyone makes them at home?

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:03 AM
My recipe is pretty similar to the Jack Stack one but I throw in a couple of carmelized onions, a couple tablespoons of dijon and a diced red bell pepper and a diced granny smith apple. Don't knock that sour apple til you try it, tastes pretty good to me.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 09:08 AM

1 cup chopped brisket
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water

Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan. Over medium heat, bring beans to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Cook beans for 20 minutes or until a thick, soupy consistency is reached. Serve.
This recipe also works well on a grill, letting the great outdoors permeate and enhance the flavor of the beans as they cook.

Now by pork and beans, any brand will do or what. Does a guy run down and get Bush beans something else?? I can Q a damn fine steak, but am still learning the bean trade. ;)

BigMeatballDave
05-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Its been years, but I recall SmokeStack having some killer beans. I should order some...

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:10 AM
There's a restaraunt in Des Moines called Mustards that has pretty good beans, but nothing like Fiorellas.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Bush's beans are just fine. I like Van Camps P&B, but I'll usually throw in a mix of pork and beans and canned kidney beans - because I like 'em.

Phobia
05-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Now by pork and beans, any brand will do or what. Does a guy run down and get Bush beans something else?? I can Q a damn fine steak, but am still learning the bean trade. ;)

I think you want a slightly firmer bean for this. In fact, I don't use pork and beans. I like to mix up several kinds. But, I'm no expert. I'm just a dude who has made beans a few times in the smoker.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Great minds think alike. Great bean-eaters stink alike.

Nzoner
05-06-2006, 09:15 AM
nothing like Fiorellas.

Just ate there for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago,great beans,but I was not impressed with their ribs.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Here's a different version of the Jack Stack recipe:

http://www.recipezaar.com/79058

4 slices bacon
1 (40 ounce) can pork & beans, drained
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon minced onions
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 cup barbecue sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
1/4 cup sorghum

Cook bacon just to remove grease Combine rest of ingredients Add the bacon and put in large baking dish Bake uncovered in 325 degree oven 60-75min.
You may also fix this in crockpot on low 6-8hours.

dtebbe
05-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Arthur Bryants beans are the best in KC IMHO.

Funny this thread is coming up today, we are having a BBQ birthday party for the wife today. I smoked 2 6# pork butts last night, and now the smoker is full with 2 HUGE slabs of ribs and chicken wings.

My recipie for beans is pretty close to the smoke stack one, sans the ketchup, and add a little mustard and onion, and top it off with a few bacon slices (pork fat). I usually cook them for about an hour in the smoker with serious smoke, and then finish them in the oven for about 20 mintues to thicken them up.

DT

Nzoner
05-06-2006, 09:19 AM
I use a brand called Allen's Baked Beans,they're already seasoned with bacon and brown sugar but then I add one large diced onion and two bottles of a local spicy bbq sauce and some garlic salt.

I've served them the last two years at 37 Forever and have gotten some good compliments on them.

dtebbe
05-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Just ate there for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago,great beans,but I was not impressed with their ribs.

I second that, Fiorellas is like the McDonlands of KC BBQ IMHO. But I'm an admitted Bryant's homer. There is nothing that comes out of that fireplace looking smoker I don't like :)

DT

Bwana
05-06-2006, 09:22 AM
Yum! Good stuff fellas! I have a feeling I won't be alone in making some beans in the next 48 hours after reading this thread. Ribs and baby backs for tomorrow.

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Just ate there for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago,great beans,but I was not impressed with their ribs.You know it's funny you say that. It's been a long time since the last time I ate there. I always remember loving their sides, but not having much opinion on their meat.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Here's another tasty Jack Stack side dish - their Cheesey Corn.

http://www.recipezaar.com/69046

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 teaspoons flour
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sharp American cheese, shredded
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut up
3 (10 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
3 ounces diced ham

Melt butter; stir in flour and garlic powder.
Add milk; cook & stir over medium heat.
Heat until thick and bubbly; stir in cheeses. Cook/stir over low heat until cheeses melt; stir in corn & ham.
Bake in 2 qt casserole for 45 minutes at 350.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 09:26 AM
You know it's funny you say that. It's been a long time since the last time I ate there. I always remember loving their sides, but not having much opinion on their meat.I feel about the same regarding Perry Fosters. Great beans and sauce, but the last time I was there, I didn't care as much for the meat. :hmmm:

Nzoner
05-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Yum! Good stuff fellas! I have a feeling I won't be alone in making some beans in the next 48 hours after readign this thread. Ribs and baby backs for tomorrow.

We're having a party today for numerous occasions,I get to grill for 45+ people and I got a huge cinco de mayo hangover.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 09:28 AM
We're having a party today for numerous occasions,I get to grill for 45+ people and I got a huge cinco de mayo hangover.

LOL, sorry to hear that Joe. :( Perhaps a little hair of the dog is in order to take the edge off? :hmmm:

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:30 AM
God Bless the Bloody Mary.

Bwana
Here's another tasty Jack Stack side dish - their Cheesey Corn.

http://www.recipezaar.com/69046

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 teaspoons flour
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sharp American cheese, shredded
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut up
3 (10 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
3 ounces diced ham

Melt butter; stir in flour and garlic powder.
Add milk; cook & stir over medium heat.
Heat until thick and bubbly; stir in cheeses. Cook/stir over low heat until cheeses melt; stir in corn & ham.
Bake in 2 qt casserole for 45 minutes at 350.

Dang! You are just full of good ideas today BOCF! :clap: That looks VERY good as well.

Nzoner
You know it's funny you say that. It's been a long time since the last time I ate there. I always remember loving their sides, but not having much opinion on their meat.

Not that I've had the pleasure of sampling all KC BBQ but being just 50 miles north I personally think the best bbq meat I've ever had are from a couple of little hole-in-the-walls up here.

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Think you'll like that. I throw in a jar of diced green chile when I'm in the mood, top it with parmesan before it goes in the oven. Good stuff.

Phobia
05-06-2006, 09:33 AM
I second that, Fiorellas is like the McDonlands of KC BBQ IMHO. But I'm an admitted Bryant's homer. There is nothing that comes out of that fireplace looking smoker I don't like :)

DT

I got my intro to Bryants at the racetrack location. It kinda sucked. I've been pretty disappointed by all the BBQ restaurants in KC. The one that impressed me the most was Fiorellas but that was because I went slightly off the beaten path with their lamb rack. Their sides are unbelievable.

Nzoner
05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
LOL, sorry to hear that Joe. :( Perhaps a little hair of the dog is in order to take the edge off? :hmmm:

I started with black coffee and excedrin,now I'm hitting the water,I have to go deliver a freezer for my mother and then my friend I can start again.

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Not that I've had the pleasure of sampling all KC BBQ but being just 50 miles north I personally think the best bbq meat I've ever had are from a couple of little hole-in-the-walls up here.Is one of the places connected to a hotel at Frederick(?) and I-29?

I remember seeing a sign an wanting to check it out, but we didn't get a chance.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 09:36 AM
I started with black coffee and excedrin,now I'm hitting the water,I have to go deliver a freezer for my mother and then my friend I can start again.

Nice, well come back with all 10 toes and best of luck with your day or recovery / Q-ing. :p

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Phil, you hit the secret. When I eat at Fiorella's I order their lamb or a beef sandwich and fill up on the side dishes.

BBQ in KC has changed a TON in the last 20 years, since it got so danged popular. I mostly cook my own Q at home these days and go out for a beef sandwich or bring home a slab now and then.

Things just aren't the same since Jake Edwards died.

Nzoner
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Is one of the places connected to a hotel at Frederick(?) and I-29?

I remember seeing a sign an wanting to check it out, but we didn't get a chance.

That'd be either Whiskey Creek or Bandana's,if it's Bandanas stay away, in my opinion it's a joke they even call their place a bbq restaurant.

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:42 AM
That'd be either Whiskey Creek or Bandana's,if it's Bandanas stay away, in my opinion it's a joke they even call their place a bbq restaurant.Bandanas sounds right. I guess I'm glad I missed it.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 09:43 AM
That'd be either Whiskey Creek or Bandana's,if it's Bandanas stay away, in my opinion it's a joke they even call their place a bbq restaurant.

I love it. You guys take your BBQ as serious down there, as we take a quality steak up here, good stuff.

Immaculate
05-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Are they a lighter or darker mix?

Darker, Good amount of meat. Best beans in town!

BigOlChiefsfan
05-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Y'all fixin' to make some mint juleps for Derby Day as well? I got out and picked a big handful of fresh mint at my sister's house, gotta find that silver julep cup around here somewhere. Any excuse to drink bourbon suits me fine, even if I have to doctor it up with funky herbs and sugar. I have been known to mix up all the julep hoohaw, then toss it outand just pour a good shot of whusk, call that good.

Nzoner
05-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Bandanas sounds right. I guess I'm glad I missed it.

If you're ever passing thru and want something great,give me a shout and I'll treat you to the best pork tenderloin sandwich you've ever had.

Fire Me Boy!
05-06-2006, 09:59 AM

1 cup chopped brisket
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water

That's a LOT like mine, but, Bwana... I'm telling you... there's a HUGE difference between cooked on the stove and cooked with the drippings.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 10:05 AM
That's a LOT like mine, but, Bwana... I'm telling you... there's a HUGE difference between cooked on the stove and cooked with the drippings.

I know bud, I was planning on smoking the whole 9 yards and using your dip technique on the beans. There's some darn fine quality posts in this thread thanks to a few a the Q gurus. :wayne:

jspchief
05-06-2006, 10:08 AM
If you're ever passing thru and want something great,give me a shout and I'll treat you to the best pork tenderloin sandwich you've ever had.We won't have much reason to get back to St Joe now that my grandma moved away. But becareful where you're going...you're bragging pork to someone in Iowa. That would be like me bragging up Iowan BBQ to a Kansas Citian. :)

Pitt Gorilla
05-06-2006, 10:13 AM

1 cup chopped brisket
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water

This recipe also works well on a grill, letting the great outdoors permeate and enhance the flavor of the beans as they cook.I do something similar, but I also add fresh onion. Honestly, just play around with the ingredients and develop your own flavor.

CHIEF4EVER
05-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Awesome Calico Beans

1 can pork and beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can butter beans
1 can green beans
1 lb ground beef
1 chopped medium onion
1 tsp margarine
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup catsup
1/3 tsp salt
a dash or 2 of Tabasco
2 tsp worcestershire
1/2 pond chopped bacon

Partially drain the beans. Brown the bacon and set aside. Pour off the grease. saute the onion and garlic in margarine until soft but not brown. Brown the ground beef and drain. Combine beans with the meat mixture and put it in the baking dish. Then combine the sugar, catsup, salt, worcestershire and tabasco. Pour over the bean mixture. Add more liquid if it looks too dry at this point. Top with the bacon and bake at 350F for 1 hour.

R&GHomer
05-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Great thread... thanks for all the good recipes! Come to think of it, I've gotten all kinds of good BBQ advice and tips from the planet. I think we should create a Lounge BBQ / tailgating sub forum.

burt
05-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I got my intro to Bryants at the racetrack location. It kinda sucked. I've been pretty disappointed by all the BBQ restaurants in KC. The one that impressed me the most was Fiorellas but that was because I went slightly off the beaten path with their lamb rack. Their sides are unbelievable.

That isn't Bryants....that's Bryants Lite. There is only 1 Bryants.....and that is on Brooklyn Ave......