PDA

View Full Version : Do Black People Like NASCAR?

Lzen
05-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Ok, the wife and I were watching the movie, Guess Who last night and got into a little debate. I said something along the lines of "I know it's just a movie but c'mon, they can't seriously expect me to buy into a black man (Bernie Mac's character) that is a NASCAR fan". She said that was just a stereotype. Yes, I agree that it is a sterotype. But some sterotypes aren't necessarily that far off base (yes, I know that there are always exceptions to the rules). Do black folks give a rat's ass about NASCAR? I always viewed it as a sport......and I use that term loosely.....that mainly rednecks enjoy. What do you think?

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 01:05 PM
They love it. It keeps the rednecks from spitting on them for several hours each weekend during the season.

Big Dick Jones
05-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Well, there was Willie T. Ribbs. At least I think that was that black driver's name. I think Bill Cosby sponsored him.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-06-2006, 01:09 PM
I just moved down to Charlotte and there are plenty of black people down here. Wait, damnit I meant there are plenty of NASCAR fans down here. Quite a few of them are black. Really though, I am posting to state that NASCAR is no where near a sport. Not at all, not even a little bit. It's a competition, it's a game, it's a whole lot of things but no where near a sport. A sport is some sort of ATHLETIC competition. There is nothing athletic about turning a steering wheel and pumping the pedals of a car. Thoughts?

KCChiefsMan
05-06-2006, 01:12 PM
I just moved down to Charlotte and there are plenty of black people down here. Wait, damnit I meant there are plenty of NASCAR fans down here. Quite a few of them are black. Really though, I am posting to state that NASCAR is no where near a sport. Not at all, not even a little bit. It's a competition, it's a game, it's a whole lot of things but no where near a sport. A sport is some sort of ATHLETIC competition. There is nothing athletic about turning a steering wheel and pumping the pedals of a car. Thoughts?

I agree, I have my own stereotypes of nascar fans. But it's not a sport, I play pool competively and I don't consider that a sport but some do......

Lzen
05-06-2006, 01:13 PM
They love it. It keeps the rednecks from spitting on them for several hours each weekend during the season.

That.......is just wrong.
:shake:

Lzen
05-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree. I don't think NASCAR is a sport. But that's not the question. And I don't follow NASCAR, either. I've just always thought of NASCAR as a redneck sport. And I've never seen a black redneck. ;)

Halfcan
05-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey black guys can drive fast too-but unfortunately it is usually in a stolen car on the highway, with a line of cops behind them.

Halfcan
05-06-2006, 01:17 PM
That was a joke.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-06-2006, 01:18 PM
That was a joke.

ROFL and a funny one at that

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey black guys can drive fast too-but unfortunately it is usually in a stolen car on the highway, with a line of cops behind them.
Man, my comment wasn't nearly this bad. ROFL

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm sure that new black NASCAR driver who's name escapes me at the moment likes it pretty well.

luv
05-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't think black people qualify as white trailer trash.

JUST KIDDING all you NASCAR fans.

Dr. Facebook Fever
05-06-2006, 01:25 PM
JUST KIDDING all you NASCAR fans.
No you weren't....

SPchief
05-06-2006, 01:26 PM
What is the over/under on when C4ME shows up in this thread?

Halfcan
05-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm sure that new black NASCAR driver who's name escapes me at the moment likes it pretty well.

Big Dick Jones-I think.

Demonpenz
05-06-2006, 01:32 PM
the ratio is about the same as hockey.

big nasty kcnut
05-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Well i think a few do like it. It's would take black driver's to win a few races to get more blacks to watch though.

el borracho
05-06-2006, 01:34 PM
... white folks like: auto racing, golf, hockey, tennis, volleyball, polo, any water sport, and WWE-style wrestling

... black folks like: basketball, football, and boxing

... nobody likes baseball

Demonpenz
05-06-2006, 01:38 PM
I like baseball.

el borracho
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
I like baseball.
So you're the guy.

Demonpenz
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
no me and deburg and penz28 always have a good relaxing day at the ball park

el borracho
05-06-2006, 01:46 PM
How do you rate your enjoyment of baseball in comparison to your enjoyment of lawn-bowling?

Demonpenz
05-06-2006, 01:47 PM
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But, baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again.

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Well i think a few do like it. It's would take black driver's to win a few races to get more blacks to watch though.
So you're saying black people are racists and will only root for other blacks?

luv
05-06-2006, 01:49 PM
How do you rate your enjoyment of baseball in comparison to your enjoyment of lawn-bowling?
I've never tried lawn-bowling.

I don't really like watching baseball on tv all that much, but I love going to games.

ChiefsCountry
05-06-2006, 01:50 PM

I disagree about it being an athletic competition. It takes alot of stamia and training to do well in racing. I know several local stock car racers and they say it takes alot out of you physicaly. You lose so many fluids during a race.

Also its amazing all the sterotypes for NASCAR fans. Sports Business Journal did a report on it and the fan base was very similar to NFL. Guess we have alot of white trash on here as well.

Nelson Muntz
05-06-2006, 01:51 PM
The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But, baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again.

Shoeless Joe is probably rolling in his grave at the current state of this so called "baseball"

Demonpenz
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Shoeless Joe is probably rolling in his grave at the current state of this so called "baseball"

Yeah because it was much better when he was throwing games.

el borracho
05-06-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm teasing, of course, I'm pretty neutral about baseball. I would go to a game but it doesn't interest me enough to watch on tv or follow at all. Actually now that I think about it, that's pretty much how I feel about most sports other than football.

Simplex3
I disagree about it being an athletic competition. It takes alot of stamia and training to do well in racing. I know several local stock car racers and they say it takes alot out of you physicaly. You lose so many fluids during a race.

Also its amazing all the sterotypes for NASCAR fans. Sports Business Journal did a report on it and the fan base was very similar to NFL. Guess we have alot of white trash on here as well.
Relax Diedra.

FAX
I've never tried lawn-bowling.

Lawn bowling is actually a lot of fun, Ms. luv. Once, I dated a raven-haired, Italian beauty whose family had fabulous picnic gatherings that included some form of Italian lawn bowling (the name of the game escapes me at the moment). The old men were really good.

The basic idea was very similar to curling with some rules that remind you of horseshoes. It should be an Olympic sport, I think. Played by girls in tight pants.

FAX

cdcox
05-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Lawn bowling is actually a lot of fun, Ms. luv. Once, I dated a raven-haired, Italian beauty whose family had fabulous picnic gatherings that included some form of Italian lawn bowling (the name of the game escapes me at the moment). The old men were really good.

The basic idea was very similar to curling with some rules that remind you of horseshoes. It should be an Olympic sport, I think. Played by girls in tight pants.

FAX

Bocce

FAX
05-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Bocce

That's it. Thanks, Mr. cdcox.

The balls they used were wooden (approximately the size of croquet balls - perhaps a little larger). The old men could roll those things for 30 feet and put them on a dime. Amazing, really.

FAX

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 02:02 PM
That's it. Thanks, Mr. cdcox.

The balls they used were wooden (approximately the size of croquet balls - perhaps a little larger). The old men could roll those things for 30 feet and put them on a dime. Amazing, really.

FAX
Are you telling us the you know first hand that Italian men know how to hadle balls with precision?

Big Dick Jones
05-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Big Dick Jones-I think.
I'm pretty racy but I don't drive a race car.

SPchief
05-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Can anybody guess Halfcans alter ego??

FAX
05-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you telling us the you know first hand that Italian men know how to hadle balls with precision?

Yes, Mr. Simplex3. I can attest to the fact, and without tergiversation, that some old Italian men are extremely talented when it comes to balls.

Additionally, the balls above so referenced, were their own and that no Italian man, whether old or not, at any time, in any county, state, country, or metroplex has ever handled a ball belonging to my person.

FAX

SPchief
05-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, Mr. Simplex3. I can attest to the fact, and without tergiversation, that some old Italian men are extremely talented when it comes to balls.

Additionally, the balls above so referenced, were their own and that no Italian man, whether old or not, at any time, in any county, state, country, or metroplex has ever handled a ball belonging to my person.

FAX

So you are saying that a man has played with your balls, but he just wasn't Italian?

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Is it "Heda Letus, drag queen to the stars"?

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
So you are saying that a man has played with your balls, but he just wasn't Italian?
ROFL Nicely played.

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
... nobody likes baseball

Latinos.

JBucc
05-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm gonna say no, NASCAR doesn't like black people

Big Dick Jones
05-06-2006, 02:26 PM

FAX
................and no tops.

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Latinos.
Like their opinions matter.

(obviously kidding)

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Kaye Wye?

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Iva Fetish?

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Iona Sextoi?

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Phil Asheeo?

el borracho
05-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Sofonda Cox?

FAX
05-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Thank you, Mr. SPchief for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

I, FAX, do state a priori assumption, and free of coercion, threats, or duress of any kind, nature, or type and/or promises of remuneration, incentives, or assurances either material or immaterial, implied or stated or made to myself or anyone I know or do not know, do state without equivocation and hesitation that any balls belonging to my person either now or at any time have never been touched, handled, groped, brushed, physically enjoined, encountered or otherwise contacted in any form, method, or means either accidentally or purposefully or in any other conceivable way known or unknown to mankind since the beginning of the universe as we know it or before said universe may or may not have existed by any man either of Italian or of any other descent including, but not limited to any descent of migratory, mixed, or unknown heritage.

FAX

Nelson Muntz
05-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Yeah because it was much better when he was throwing games.

Obviously you've never watched the movie. There was no proof of him throwing games.

Big Dick Jones
05-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Obviously you've never watched the movie. There was no proof of him throwing games.
I thought they kept him out of the HOF for it. But I haven't seen the movie.

Nelson Muntz
05-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I thought they kept him out of the HOF for it. But I haven't seen the movie.

They did, but supposedly there wasn't a lot of proof that he did anything. I've never researched it too much, just going by what I've heard and the little I've read about it.

gcbroncos
05-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm black and i can't stand nascar........

has nothing to do with my race though....if i were white i'd still hate nascar...

i have white friends and they hate nascar for the same reasons as me....

maybe its more of a geographical issue vs a racial one...

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Thank you, Mr. SPchief for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

I, FAX, do state a priori assumption, and free of coercion, threats, or duress of any kind, nature, or type and/or promises of remuneration, incentives, or assurances either material or immaterial, implied or stated or made to myself or anyone I know or do not know, do state without equivocation and hesitation that any balls belonging to my person either now or at any time have never been touched, handled, groped, brushed, physically enjoined, encountered or otherwise contacted in any form, method, or means either accidentally or purposefully or in any other conceivable way known or unknown to mankind since the beginning of the universe as we know it or before said universe may or may not have existed by any man either of Italian or of any other descent including, but not limited to any descent of migratory, mixed, or unknown heritage.

FAX
So they just watched you play with them then?

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 03:01 PM
ROFL Holy s**t, only on the Planet does someone use a movie as proof of an argument's validity.

Nelson Muntz
05-06-2006, 03:02 PM
ROFL Holy s**t, only on the Planet does someone use a movie as proof of an argument's validity.

Turn your sarcasm meter on.

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Turn your sarcasm meter on.
No, I got it. If I thought you were being serious it would have been scary, not funny.

chiefs4me
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Of course black people like nascar.....Wendell Scott raced for 13 years in the 60's and 70's and won many races. Bill Lester has raced for the Nascar truck series for 7 years now. And there are a few black rookie drivers this year that didn't get enough money to field a car, so your answer is Yea, black people like Nascar.......

chiefs4me
05-06-2006, 03:12 PM
What is the over/under on when C4ME shows up in this thread?

idiot....:rolleyes:

Big Dick Jones
05-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Of course black people like nascar.....Wendell Scott raced for 13 years in the 60's and 70's and won many races. Bill Lester has raced for the Nascar truck series for 7 years now. And there are a few black rookie drivers this year that didn't get enough money to field a car, so your answer is Yea, black people like Nascar.......
How do Koreans feel about it?

Simplex3
05-06-2006, 03:21 PM
How do Koreans feel about it?
I'm not sure but I'd say it's obvious nasty white b**ches like it and are veritable historians.

Thig Lyfe
05-06-2006, 03:22 PM
And there are a few black rookie drivers this year that didn't get enough money to field a car,

Well, crack prices are down...

I apologize to all of you.

gcbroncos
05-06-2006, 03:53 PM

the bad racial jokes just keep coming on this thread....

but then again you did apologize right afterwards in small font...

so of course that makes it okay

Jenson71
05-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Black people or African-Americans?

Big Dick Jones
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Can we say things like that?

chiefs4me
05-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure but I'd say it's obvious nasty white b**ches like it and are veritable historians.

:rolleyes:

keg in kc
05-06-2006, 04:26 PM
My ex-wife's parents are big neckcar fans. The ex and I had tickets the year the speedway opened, in fact, although I don't think I saw another black person other than my ex at either race we attended.

stevieray
05-06-2006, 04:35 PM
I agree, I have my own stereotypes of nascar fans. But it's not a sport, I play pool competively and I don't consider that a sport but some do......

Pay for a ride along @ 165 and then get back to us.

Lzen
05-06-2006, 05:35 PM
IGuess we have alot of white trash on here as well.

Well, the Chiefs are in Missouri. :D

beer bacon
05-06-2006, 05:43 PM

Willie T. Ribbs, brought to you by Gates BBQ.

Lzen
05-06-2006, 05:44 PM
It was not my intention for this to turn into a bunch of racial jokes. I started this thread to satisfy my curiosity.

gcbroncos, I don't think it is a geographical thing. There are NASCAR fans here where I live in Kansas. Then again, there are a lot of people like myself that don't like it. BTW, you mentioned your white friends who don't like it for the same reasons as you. What would those reasons be?

ENDelt260
05-06-2006, 05:50 PM
And I've never seen a black redneck.

I used to hang out with a black guy that told people his goal was to be white trash. He'd wear a hat with a rebel flag on it... and he used to talk about growing a mullet, but as far as I know he never did.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 05:52 PM
It was not my intention for this to turn into a bunch of racial jokes. I started this thread to satisfy my curiosity.

gcbroncos, I don't think it is a geographical thing. There are NASCAR fans here where I live in Kansas. Then again, there are a lot of people like myself that don't like it. BTW, you mentioned your white friends who don't like it for the same reasons as you. What would those reasons be?

We covered this at one point:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137194

Bwana
05-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I used to hang out with a black guy that told people his goal was to be white trash.

You hung out with Michael Jackson? :hmmm:

ENDelt260
05-06-2006, 06:17 PM
idiot....:rolleyes:
Apparently not.

ENDelt260
05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
You hung out with Michael Jackson? :hmmm:
Nah. This guy's name was Dannon. Yes, like the yogurt.

He was a real funny guy. This girl we knew gave a guy we knew chlamydia. Every time she walked in the room, he'd just start clapping. I didn't let the fact that the clap is gonorrhea stop me from laughing.

Bwana
05-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Nah. This guy's name was Dannon. Yes, like the yogurt.

He was a real funny guy. This girl we knew gave a guy we knew chlamydia. Every time she walked in the room, he'd just start clapping. I didn't let the fact that the clap is gonorrhea stop me from laughing.

Heh, Nice. ROFL

burt
05-06-2006, 06:35 PM
I am a large black man....I don't like Nascar.....because I don't. I don't like racial jokes either......because I don't.

chiefs4me
05-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Apparently not.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

burt
05-06-2006, 06:52 PM
but I will say this...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Boozer
05-06-2006, 07:07 PM
About a year ago, I saw a middle-aged African-American guy in the Phoenix airport wearing a bunch of NASCAR stuff. Hat with a driver's number on it, shirt with a different number, etc. Not being a racing fan myself, that's the only experience I've had with a NASCAR fan of color.

burt
05-06-2006, 07:10 PM
About a year ago, I saw a middle-aged African-American guy in the Phoenix airport wearing a bunch of NASCAR stuff. Hat with a driver's number on it, shirt with a different number, etc. Not being a racing fan myself, that's the only experience I've had with a NASCAR fan of color.

I don't mind being called black....

ENDelt260
05-06-2006, 07:19 PM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaa
What the **** are you crying about now?

chiefs4me
05-06-2006, 07:32 PM
What the **** are you crying about now?

ROFL :D

Boozer
05-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I don't mind being called black....

Good for you. I'm guessing that you weren't the guy I saw in the airport. Maybe he prefers to be called African-American. But, since he's probably not reading this thread, and you are, I could use the word black, if that's what you prefer.

burt
05-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Good for you. I'm guessing that you weren't the guy I saw in the airport. Maybe he prefers to be called African-American. But, since he's probably not reading this thread, and you are, I could use the word black, if that's what you prefer.

and I should call you .....Euro-American?????

Bwana
05-06-2006, 07:59 PM

You can call me WTF you want Mercer. I'm not the most "PC "guy in the world so I don't get my undies in a bunch over crap like that. :)

listopencil
05-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I don't know. I was raised to use the word black as opposed to white. OK. That's not really true. I was raised to use black as opposed to n***** like a lot of the ignorant and simpleminded racists did in the area(s) where I grew up. My mother did her best to insulate me from the bigotry that permeated Virginia and Texas. She also did her best to make sure that I was exposed to people of many different ethnicities. To make me understand that the differences were only skin deep and that they had nothing to do with who the person really was. So I use the term black. Even though black people in my family are no more black than the white people are white. That's the reason I pretty much give up at black. I'm not going to learn a new term every fifteen years to make sure no one gets offended. You can usually tell what I mean by the context of the sentences I create. If I offend anyone with use of the term black I apologise. But that's the way it's going to be.

burt
05-06-2006, 08:06 PM
No, I am NOT offended by the term black. I really do prefer it. I have never been to Africa... I assume moste white people haven't been to Europe.... and I have NEVER heard a white person referred to as Euro-American. I am not easily offended, but find the African American term funny....that's all.

listopencil
05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
No, I am NOT offended by the term black. I really do prefer it. I have never been to Africa... I assume moste white people haven't been to Europe.... and I have NEVER heard a white person referred to as Euro-American. I am not easily offended, but find the African American term funny....that's all.

Actually so do I. It makes me think of all the hyphenated Americans in the past: Irish-American, Mexican-American, etc. We're all just Americans.

burt
05-06-2006, 08:11 PM
See, we agree....AND you started the buddy list thread!!! ROFL

listopencil
05-06-2006, 08:15 PM
See, we agree....AND you started the buddy list thread!!! ROFL

I'd like to add you to my Buddy List but I don't know how. Maybe I should start a thread about it...

Boozer
05-06-2006, 08:16 PM

If you want. I prefer "Boozer." But I'm guessing that if you saw me at the airport wearing a bunch of NASCAR shit, you'd describe me as "This goofy looking bastard at the airport wearing all sorts of NASCAR crap."

burt
05-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I'd like to add you to my Buddy List but I don't know how. Maybe I should start a thread about it...

NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

burt
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
If you want. I prefer "Boozer." But I'm guessing that if you saw me at the airport wearing a bunch of NASCAR shit, you'd describe me as "This goofy looking bastard at the airport wearing all sorts of NASCAR crap."

ROFL ME TOOO!!!!!

gcbroncos
05-08-2006, 06:24 AM

Because we think it's boring....

cars racing around in a circle.....we don't get it...

if everyone drives the same cars why do the same people always win?...

if the cars are different...then how fair is that?

i really do think it is a geographical/cultural thing.....if you grew up watching & hearing about nascar than you're more prone to like it....

now there will be exceptions of coures...but here in tampa bay where i live...there are next to no nascar fans...geography certainly plays into it...no doubt about that my man.....

the places where nascar are most prominent/famous are also places blacks aren't as commonplace...that what makes it seem racial IMO

CoMoChief
05-08-2006, 06:55 AM
its nascar not black car.

heres a funny link to a audio clip about some redneck from mississippi getting interviewed by some radio station as a prank and they ask him about black people and nascar. his name is mr bergis. funny shit check it out. language is NSFW.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mrbergis-nascar.mp3