PDA

View Full Version : "New" Used Monitor with Speakers, but no sound...

chagrin
05-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I currently hve a cheap POS computer, given to me from the company I work for. We don't use the internet much at home so it doesn't have to be anything special.

Here's the thing, I upgraded my monitor to one with speakers included, so I can hear music and stuff withough using the headphones I have been using; but there is no sound.

I went to Device Manager, updated drivers, went to hardware Wizard, it didn't really make a big deal out of the new monitor and the whole process was over quickly. I put in a CD and I see Media player going, and the levels moving, and I can hear it if I plug the headphone directly to the computer.

I just plugged the headphones into the monitor and I hear nothing, with the CD playing. All volume levels are turned up and nothing is muted...

Advice? Thanks in advance

JBucc
05-06-2006, 02:33 PM
is it plugged in?

StcChief
05-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Determine if the audio sound card in on Mobo or external card. from devices

Is their a an RCA or other Jack for external speakers on back of computer? Try using external speakers if you can....

determine if monitor speakers work.

listopencil
05-06-2006, 06:02 PM
The sound is generated in the case, you have to have a connection from the monitor to the case other than the thick cable for video. What do the cables look like that go from your CPU case to your monitor?

Vegas_Dave
05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Make sure that you have a seperate Sound cable going from your monitor to your computer (CPU is really a part inside that big box you kick).

If there is a cable and its not working, then plug that same sound cable coming from your monitor into the same jack you plug in your headphones into on the computer (since you know that jack works for sound output).

If that doesnt work, then you have dead speakers.

chagrin
05-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the responses, I am laughing at them as well. I guess I should have said that I do have everything plugged in, geesh.

Yes two cables, one from monitor to wall plug, one from monitor to computer; I can't believe one of you actually asked that.

What I am thinking, and also from what I read on one of the posts, I think the monitor speakers are dead.

Thanks again guys

Boozer
05-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the responses, I am laughing at them as well. I guess I should have said that I do have everything plugged in, geesh.

Yes two cables, one from monitor to wall plug, one from monitor to computer; I can't believe one of you actually asked that.

What I am thinking, and also from what I read on one of the posts, I think the monitor speakers are dead.

Thanks again guys

If you just have two cables running from your monitor, that's the problem. User error, not equipment.

chagrin
05-06-2006, 10:57 PM
If you just have two cables running from your monitor, that's the problem. User error, not equipment.

Dude, try for a second to accept that I know more than the usual halfwit, about computers. I have been using them for long enough now to understand how many cables go in and where they go in. I have never used a monitor with more than 2 cables, ever and they have always worked fine. I don't know why this one doesn't work, or why people like you can't just try to help instead of being condescending about it. If ya can't offer any real info, move along please or go to the D.C. forum.

Boozer
05-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Dude, try for a second to accept that I know more than the usual halfwit, about computers. I have been using them for long enough now to understand how many cables go in and where they go in. I have never used a monitor with more than 2 cables, ever and they have always worked fine. I don't know why this one doesn't work, or why people like you can't just try to help instead of being condescending about it. If ya can't offer any real info, move along please or go to the D.C. forum.

ROFL
You may know more than the usual halfwit, but you seem to be under the misapprehension that a cable running from your video card can magically transmit sound to your monitor's built-in speakers.

And people are trying to help, by pointing out that you need more than two cables running out the back of your monitor. Well, you don't need a cable running from the audio input jack of the monitor to the audio output jack on the CPU, but you need it if you want sound to come out of those speakers.

Boozer
05-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Here you go, ingrate: I'm guessing your monitor is similar to this one (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=459838&lang=en&docname=c00307478) . Notice the three, count 'em, three cords coming out the back.

Demonpenz
05-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Did you drop it recently and is it correctly plugged in to the outlet?

DaFace
05-07-2006, 01:19 PM
If you've got sound when using headphones, the problem has nothing to do with your soundcard or the settings on your PC. The speakers are either not properly hooked up or they're dead.

Phobia
05-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Ouch. You're looking like a n00b, chagrin. At the risk of repeating what everybody else has already said, you'll need a 3rd cable running from your sound source to the speakers which are contained in the monitor. Sound does not travel from the computer to monitor via osmosis.

Phobia
05-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I know it.