PDA

View Full Version : Al Saunders

blueballs
05-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Al Saunders won a Super Bowl with the Rams. Then came to Kansas City with Vermeil along with some other of the Rams staff. He was named the OC and they brought in Rams QB Trent Green. He had one of the top offenses in the league for 4 years.

Now he is the OC in Washington with back up QB Todd Collins and practice squad phenom Richard Smith.

Can Saunders strike gold a third time? If so how long will it take? Have other coaches gone on to success with their third team?

Questions that need answers or opinions.

JBucc
05-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I think he'll do fine and I wish we'd kept Richard Smith.

chiefsfaninNC
05-06-2006, 06:00 PM
The Skins were very close last year. If he gives them any sort of offense they could be very scary this year.

burt
05-06-2006, 06:02 PM
The Skins were very close last year. If he gives them any sort of offense they could be very scary this year.

He is a bit conservative for my taste, but he could be the bump that the Skins need.....

milkman
05-06-2006, 06:30 PM
He is a bit conservative for my taste, but he could be the bump that the Skins need.....

Wait.

The most common bitch about Al around here was that he lacked conservatism.
That he liked to get cute with his play calling.

And you think he was too conservative?

burt
05-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Wait.

The most common bitch about Al around here was that he lacked conservatism.
That he liked to get cute with his play calling.

And you think he was too conservative?

yes.

melbar
05-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Actually Saunders was just the QB coach with the Rams , Marts was the OC.

milkman
05-06-2006, 06:53 PM
yes.

I have a strong feeling then, that you are going to like Mike Solari as much as I like Gunt.

burt
05-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I have a strong feeling then, that you are going to like Mike Solari as much as I like Gunt.

I LOVE GUN, he is awesome!!

unlurking
05-06-2006, 07:02 PM
You never get tired of triple reverse fake come back passes for a 2 yard gain.

milkman
05-06-2006, 07:06 PM
I LOVE GUN, he is awesome!!

Yeah, so?

burt
05-06-2006, 07:09 PM
You never get tired of triple reverse fake come back passes for a 2 yard gain.

I am not talking about that kind of shit. I am saying that Saunders was SSSSOOOOOO predictable. Or someone was. Mix it up a bit. Part of play calling HAS to be catching the other team flat footed.....unaware. If you run the same play, in the same situation, the same thing happens as when the Faiders got squelched by the Bucs, in the Bowl.

Sometimes ya just gotta run an unsuccessfull play to set up a game winning long play. Play calling isn't just calling 1 play. Or run this exact play in this situation.

unlurking
05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I am not talking about that kind of shit. I am saying that Saunders was SSSSOOOOOO predictable. Or someone was. Mix it up a bit. Part of play calling HAS to be catching the other team flat footed.....unaware. If you run the same play, in the same situation, the same thing happens as when the Faiders got squelched by the Bucs, in the Bowl.

Sometimes ya just gotta run an unsuccessfull play to set up a game winning long play. Play calling isn't just calling 1 play. Or run this exact play in this situation.
I can agree with that. Al was so cutesy you could predict it. 3rd and 9? Pass to Dante one yard from the LOS.

Halfcan
05-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I think he'll do fine and I wish we'd kept Richard Smith.

I think we can find someone else to drop passes.

TRR
05-06-2006, 08:34 PM

How can you possibly criticize Al Saunders???? The guy ran the #1 offense in the league for the last how many seasons? This O has put up some stats that equal the best offenses in NFL history. Yet he was too predictable? LOL, that is laughable.

burt
05-06-2006, 08:38 PM
How can you possibly criticize Al Saunders???? The guy ran the #1 offense in the league for the last how many seasons? This O has put up some stats that equal the best offenses in NFL history. Yet he was too predictable? LOL, that is laughable.

Sorry, he helped build a great team.....but his play calling was no good....IMHO, and yes I am entitled to my opinion....so laugh if you must. I AM GLAD HE'S GONE!!!! And I have met him as well as talked to him! He's a very nice man.

blueballs
05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Actually Saunders was just the QB coach with the Rams , Marts was the OC.

where the **** did I say he was the OC in St. Louis? He was part of a Super Bowl offense that was brought to KC along with that Super Bowl winning Coach.

Now he is with the Redskins with only a old back up QB and a WR who couldn't make the team, tagging along.

TRR
05-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry, he helped build a great team.....but his play calling was no good....IMHO, and yes I am entitled to my opinion....so laugh if you must. I AM GLAD HE'S GONE!!!! And I have met him as well as talked to him! He's a very nice man.

I've met the man as well....

Yeah, you know, Al Saunders only ran the #1 offense in the league for the last several years. He got Priest Holmes to become possibly the greatest RB in KC history, created the blocking scheme and built possibly the best O Line in KC history, was a huge advocate for Trent Green, and made him a 4,000+ yard passer. All while his offense was averaging over 3,500 passing yards, and 2,000 rushing yards per season while he was the O Coordinator. But his play-calling was no good. :rolleyes:

burt
05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I've met the man as well....

Yeah, you know, Al Saunders only ran the #1 offense in the league for the last several years. He got Priest Holmes to become possibly the greatest RB in KC history, created the blocking scheme and built possibly the best O Line in KC history, was a huge advocate for Trent Green, and made him a 4,000+ yard passer. All while his offense was averaging over 3,500 passing yards, and 2,000 rushing yards per season while he was the O Coordinator. But his play-calling was no good. :rolleyes:

The "system" was good...no doubt. The play calling wasn't. :rolleyes: backatcha

TRR
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM

And what do you have to back that comment up? You state it as a fact. I just threw several numbers at you to back up my statement. If an offense is THAT FREAKIN PRODUCTIVE over that long of a span, the play calling has to be good. Don't just state a comment on here, and not back it up.

jidar
05-06-2006, 08:54 PM

You're wrong. That's the bottom line.
Don't give me that opinion crap either, opinions can be wrong, or stupid, or just plain completely ****ing backwards ass retarded, like yours.

burt
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
You're wrong. That's the bottom line.
Don't give me that opinion crap either, opinions can be wrong, or stupid, or just plain completely ****ing backwards ass retarded, like yours.

gosh, it must be great to be that opinionated WITH YOUR REP DISABLED!!! If you disagree, cool...wann curse at me....for having an opinion that many agree with....**** off.....

jspchief
05-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Al Saunders may have been the best OC in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he didn't have faults. And there were definately times when his play calling was bad, most often when he would get away from an effective running attack to inexplicably start throwing the ball. I think he sometimes tried to hard to outsmart the opponent when it wasn't neccessary.

That being said, I can't see how anyone would be glad to see him gone. It's clear he had an overall positive effect on the Chiefs.

burt
05-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Al Saunders may have been the best OC in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he didn't have faults. And there were definately times when his play calling was bad, most often when he would get away from an effective running attack to inexplicably start throwing the ball. I think he sometimes tried to hard to outsmart the opponent when it wasn't neccessary.

That being said, I can't see how anyone would be glad to see him gone. It's clear he had an overall positive effect on the Chiefs.

Hey, I liked the man, but his play calling was no better that Jimmy Ray's. I believe he is a great football mind....built a great "system" that maed Grbac....ooops Trent look good, but his play calling was NOT good.

blueballs
05-06-2006, 09:03 PM
I am wondering, if Vermeil helped build the greatest show on turf. Then went on to help build another program that become tops in the league for 4 years. How is Saunders going to do, going off with out much help from those two outstanding offenses?

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Hey, I liked the man, but his play calling was no better that Jimmy Ray's. I believe he is a great football mind....built a great "system" that maed Grbac....ooops Trent look good, but his play calling was NOT good.I'd say for the most part his play calling was pretty good. He just had some bad stretches within games.

Although I think you could argue that a lot of this team's success was about execution rather than play calling. When you have an O-line that performs at the level KC's does, you call just about anything and have it work out well. It certainly makes the OC job easier.

DomerNKC
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
what does the buddy list do?

burt
05-06-2006, 09:06 PM
I'd say for the most part his play calling was pretty good. He just had some bad stretches within games.

Although I think you could argue that a lot of this team's success was about execution rather than play calling. When you have an O-line that performs at the level KC's does, you call just about anything and have it work out well. It certainly makes the OC job easier.

Wait a ****ing minute....don't AGREE with me..... You are taking all the fun out of this.

burt
05-06-2006, 09:07 PM
what does the buddy list do?

nipples

copyright Bob Dole 2006

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I am wondering, if Vermeil helped build the greatest show on turf. Then went on to help build another program that become tops in the league for 4 years. How is Saunders going to do, going off with out much help from those two outstanding offenses?I think Saunders is going to excel in Washington, at least for the short term. He has a very solid veteran QB, a RB that will shred in the zone blocking scheme we used with Priest, and a stable of WRs that is 10x what KC had. They also have two solid tackles to bookend the O-line, and an H-back that is everything that Kris Wilson was supposed to be.

It's not like he's walking into an empty kitchen. The cupboard is stocked, he just has to start cooking.

burt
05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
I think Saunders is going to excel in Washington, at least for the short term. He has a very solid veteran QB, a RB that will shred in the zone blocking scheme we used with Priest, and a stable of WRs that is 10x what KC had. They also have two solid tackles to bookend the O-line, and an H-back that is everything that Kris Wilson was supposed to be.

It's not like he's walking into an empty kitchen. The cupboard is stocked, he just has to start cooking.

and he will rebuild the system....make it good....but call shitty offense.

DomerNKC
05-06-2006, 09:13 PM
and if they stock the offensive cupboard like they did here and forget the defense, they will fare as well as we did. 10-6 watching the playoffs with all of our offensive awards.

burt
05-06-2006, 09:14 PM
and if they stock the offensive cupboard like they did here and forget the defense, they will fare as well as we did. 10-6 watching the playoffs with all of our offensive awards.

Okay, I love you again.....forget the gerbil comments....simply disregard

milkman
05-06-2006, 09:17 PM

I don't think that Joe Gibbs is anywhere near as out of touch with defense as Dick was.

He also has a real DC to work with that D.

blueballs
05-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Although it is the NFC, he is in another rough division. Just like KC if Brunell goes down, he has not been as injury free as Trent, they have little back up. Collins and a Bengals 7th rounder from last year.

DomerNKC
05-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I don't think that Joe Gibbs is anywhere near as out of touch with defense as Dick was.

He also has a real DC to work with that D.joe gibbs has some sense. dan snyder is the one to worry about. he will ruin everything.

jspchief
05-06-2006, 09:20 PM
and if they stock the offensive cupboard like they did here and forget the defense, they will fare as well as we did. 10-6 watching the playoffs with all of our offensive awards.They're already light years ahead of our defense.

burt
05-06-2006, 09:20 PM
They're already light years ahead of our defense.

Who isn't.....

milkman
05-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Although it is the NFC, he is in another rough division. Just like KC if Brunell goes down, he has not been as injury free as Trent, they have little back up. Collins and a Bengals 7th rounder from last year.

I think you're forgetting about Jason Campbell.

DomerNKC
05-06-2006, 09:25 PM
They're already light years ahead of our defense.so are 8 out of ten high school teams

noa
05-06-2006, 09:26 PM

I think they should ditch Brunell after this year and go with Campbell. Having said that, I'm not so sure it matters that much who is throwing the ball for them. Their receiving corps is outstanding and Portis is good, but the real difference Saunders is going to make is with Chris Cooley. He should turn Cooley into an unstoppable player because Saunders is good at designing plays to create or exploit mismatches, which will be easy to do with a player like Cooley. Saunders is the perfect fit for this offense, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a top 5 offense for years to come, even when they go through their necessary QB change.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
lol

blueballs
05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I think you're forgetting about Jason Campbell.

ah shit

milkman
05-06-2006, 09:51 PM
ah shit

That's alright.

It's hard to concentrate with blue balls.

bringbackmarty
05-06-2006, 09:55 PM

bingo!

TRR
05-06-2006, 10:07 PM
bingo!

Every Coordinator has faults. They are always going to call a play that makes you say, "what the F was that?" But for the most part, Saunders resurrected an offense in KC that is one of the best in NFL History IMO.

Dave Lane
05-06-2006, 10:54 PM

His playcalling was only predictable in the fact that it wasn't.

Dave

C-Mac
05-07-2006, 01:00 AM

The first year Trent came to town, Saunders looked very average and very predictable. When Willie Roaf went down last year, Saunders looked very average and very predictable. So yes he is a very good OC that maybe gets a little too cute sometimes, but theres no doubt that if he's without all the probowl talent, he appears to struggle.

Rausch
05-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Al Saunders won a Super Bowl with the Rams. Then came to Kansas City with Vermeil along with some other of the Rams staff. He was named the OC and they brought in Rams QB Trent Green. He had one of the top offenses in the league for 4 years.

Now he is the OC in Washington with back up QB Todd Collins and practice squad phenom Richard Smith.

Can Saunders strike gold a third time? If so how long will it take?

2 years.

They have Gibbs, an uncanny defense, Saunders + Portis (Imagine Portis in OUR offense), and teh 0dd T0dd.

Lock for a SB in 2 years.

Teh 0dd T0dd locks it in as the next Hostettler...

htismaqe
05-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Al Saunders won't make the Super Bowl in Washington.

Chiefnj
05-07-2006, 06:25 AM
Hey, I liked the man, but his play calling was no better that Jimmy Ray's.

We have a winner of the "Dumbest statement of the Month" contest. Congratulations.

chiefsfaninNC
05-07-2006, 06:56 AM
We have a winner of the "Dumbest statement of the Month" contest. Congratulations.

His statement was uncannily Bad Girlish. :hmmm:

Portis&Taylor
05-07-2006, 08:15 AM
I think they should ditch Brunell after this year and go with Campbell. Having said that, I'm not so sure it matters that much who is throwing the ball for them. Their receiving corps is outstanding and Portis is good, but the real difference Saunders is going to make is with Chris Cooley. He should turn Cooley into an unstoppable player because Saunders is good at designing plays to create or exploit mismatches, which will be easy to do with a player like Cooley. Saunders is the perfect fit for this offense, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were a top 5 offense for years to come, even when they go through their necessary QB change.
Thats what will happen, If campbell is as good as the coaches say he could start half way through this year, but this is brunells last year starting for us.

burt
05-07-2006, 08:15 AM

Where do I pick up my award??? :hmmm:

burt
05-07-2006, 08:16 AM
His statement was uncannily Bad Girlish. :hmmm:

Okay, it's on now. That was way ****ing low!!!! Neg rep for you!!!

not.... ROFL

Portis&Taylor
05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
2 years.

They have Gibbs, an uncanny defense, Saunders + Portis (Imagine Portis in OUR offense), and teh 0dd T0dd.

Lock for a SB in 2 years.

Teh 0dd T0dd locks it in as the next Hostettler...
I agree with you i think we will make the playoffs but not the superbowl yet, I cant wait to see portis is this offense, Larry Johnson is an awesome running back but so is portis and larry would have gotten 2,000 if he had started and played every game so i wonder what portis can do. :drool:

beer bacon
05-07-2006, 08:21 AM
I agree with you i think we will make the playoffs but not the superbowl yet, I cant wait to see portis is this offense, Larry Johnson is an awesome running back but so is portis and larry would have gotten 2,000 if he had started and played every game so i wonder what portis can do. :drool:

You guys playing the 49ers this year? Maybe Portis can get out his belt and strut.

beer bacon
05-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Hell, the belt and his Bob the Builder overalls would be a pretty snappy ensemble for the homesexual football star on the go.

milkman
05-07-2006, 08:40 AM

That's a pretty bold statement.

But you're probably right, as long as Daniel Snyder is buying free agents.

Chiefnj
05-07-2006, 09:11 AM

I'd put my money on the Skins before the Chiefs.

the Talking Can
05-07-2006, 09:18 AM
gee, Al made some mistakes...gasp!

we lost the best coordinator we'd had in over a decade and kept Gun...oh, now I see why we're trying to rationalize this..carry on

the Talking Can
05-07-2006, 09:20 AM

so image what our chances our.....ugh....

ah, that would be "are"...leaving that edit up, I might have suffered a stroke just now...damn

htismaqe
05-07-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd put my money on the Skins before the Chiefs.

Most people here would...that's what being a Chiefs fan is all about.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Skins have a defense, give them a remotly good looking offense like ours they will go very far. I don't trust Mark Brunell though.

CupidStunt
05-07-2006, 11:14 AM
KC's offense became elite in 2002 and has been ever since.

The only guy of note who came in 2002 and has been here since is Willie Roaf.

Make no mistake about it, Roaf is the offense, along with Green, Gonzo and the other guys.

Al Saunders; nice guy but he won't be missed near as much as some people think IMO.

jspchief
05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
gee, Al made some mistakes...gasp!

we lost the best coordinator we'd had in over a decade and kept Gun...oh, now I see why we're trying to rationalize this..carry onRationalize what? Not keeping a $5 million offensive coordinator that may not have even wanted to stay?

burt
05-07-2006, 12:21 PM

Make no mistake about it, Roaf is the offense, along with Green, Gonzo and the other guys.

Al Saunders; nice guy but he won't be missed near as much as some people think IMO.

Be carefull....that kind of statement won me, "Dumbest statement of the Month" , and I am still waiting for the award...

MahiMike
05-07-2006, 12:28 PM
The Redskins were automatically my pick to represent the NFC in the SB the minute they signed Al. I also predict our offense will average 10 fewer pts/game without him...

DaWolf
05-07-2006, 03:01 PM
The question I have with the Redskins is that they sound like they have too many cooks in the kitchen. With the Chiefs DV gave Saunders complete offensive control, but from what I've been reading Saunders is joining a club where there are a lot of people with big titles on the offensive side of the ball, Gibbs included, who may be tempted to meddle or get egos involved. I mean look, you have:

Joe Gibbs Head Coach/Team President
Al Saunders Assoc. HC - Offense
Joe Bugel Asst. HC - Offense
Don Breaux Off. Coordinator
Jack Burns Offensive Assistant

While Al will apparently be calling the plays, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of all that.

Basically IMO having a good offense really depends a lot on your OL. If the Redskins get good OL work, they'l lbe a good offense, just like we will continue to be if our OL keeps doing its thing. It's really no mystery why we were a good offense. It had nothing to do with the triple reverses or empty backfield passes we called...

Stang
05-08-2006, 06:54 AM

Dont kid yourself, Im a Skins fans who seen your team score 24 points before I could fix a cup of coffee. If you guys had a decent defense the last 5 years, the Patriots would have never had there dynasty. The Chiefs problems were not on Offense, it was Defense!!!!

Skip Towne
05-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Dont kid yourself, Im a Skins fans who seen your team score 24 points before I could fix a cup of coffee. If you guys had a decent defense the last 5 years, the Patriots would have never had there dynasty. The Chiefs problems were not on Offense, it was Defense!!!!
Thanks for clearing that up for us. We hadn't noticed.

jidar
05-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for us. We hadn't noticed.

apparently the thread starter didn't notice.

burt
05-08-2006, 07:20 AM

I believe we have a great offense. It relies a little TOO much on Willie, but a great offense, none the less. I believe Saunders built a great unit, and MOST of the time, he ran his crew well. I am just saying, that there were times when he was too predictable. There are many that agree. Obviously, not here.

I also believe that without our Oline, washington won't do as well as most of you mopes think they will. The Chiefs will NOT miss Saunders(at least this season, maybe in the later seasons, because as I said, Saunders BUILT a great defense) On top of that, I assure you that the Defense WILL improve.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 08:01 AM
The Redskins were automatically my pick to represent the NFC in the SB the minute they signed Al. I also predict our offense will average 10 fewer pts/game without him...

10 points a game?

ROFL

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
Rationalize what? Not keeping a $5 million offensive coordinator that may not have even wanted to stay?

Yep.

htismaqe
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM

Bingo.

EA-47
05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
The question I have with the Redskins is that they sound like they have too many cooks in the kitchen. With the Chiefs DV gave Saunders complete offensive control, but from what I've been reading Saunders is joining a club where there are a lot of people with big titles on the offensive side of the ball, Gibbs included, who may be tempted to meddle or get egos involved. I mean look, you have:

Joe Gibbs Head Coach/Team President
Al Saunders Assoc. HC - Offense
Joe Bugel Asst. HC - Offense
Don Breaux Off. Coordinator
Jack Burns Offensive Assistant

While Al will apparently be calling the plays, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of all that.

The only ones with explicit control over the offensive scheme are Gibbs and Saunders... and even then, Gibbs got Saunders specifically to take control of the offense. What the Redskins have right now is a relatively unique coaching set-up... with two head coaches controlling each side of the ball and Joe Gibbs overseeing the whole operation. Essentially, Gibbs acts like a GM but has coaching control and input.

Greg Williams and Al Saunders will be running the show as far as scheming goes. Bugel is just the offensive lines coach, really, and Don Breaux/Jack Burns won't be doing anything to interfere with Saunders either.

Basically IMO having a good offense really depends a lot on your OL. If the Redskins get good OL work, they'l lbe a good offense, just like we will continue to be if our OL keeps doing its thing. It's really no mystery why we were a good offense. It had nothing to do with the triple reverses or empty backfield passes we called...

Fortunately, the Skins do have one of the better offensive lines in the league (not quite as good as the Chiefs but still very good). Randy Thomas is among the best guards in the league and Jansen and Samuels make up one of the best pairs of tackles out there. Dockery and Rabach are also very solid players at their position and have been steadily improving the last couple of positions.

I get the feeling that you guys underestimate Al Saunders a bit now that he is bailing out for DC. Speaking from the vantage point of a fan whose team has all the tools necessary to be a dominant offense but hasn't had much to show for it... he is going to make a huge impact. Sure he can be too cutesy at times with the playcalling but the man KNOWS how to open up the field and get everyone in position for a big play. Give him more credit.

Stang
05-09-2006, 04:09 PM
I believe we have a great offense. It relies a little TOO much on Willie, but a great offense, none the less. I believe Saunders built a great unit, and MOST of the time, he ran his crew well. I am just saying, that there were times when he was too predictable. There are many that agree. Obviously, not here.

I also believe that without our Oline, washington won't do as well as most of you mopes think they will. The Chiefs will NOT miss Saunders(at least this season, maybe in the later seasons, because as I said, Saunders BUILT a great defense) On top of that, I assure you that the Defense WILL improve.
I sure hope he turns our offense into one of the best, he couldnt be worse then Don Breaux and Bill Musgrave the way they called our plays in the Tampa and Seattle playoffs, it was run run pass till the final gun.

Grant it we were down to one reciever and an H-back but at least try to confuse a defense. Al was given the reigns over the offense and the play calling this year and he's got some weapons here if Brunell can stay healthy, Im looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I wish you guys luck getting your D together because I been pulling for KC to get back to the show, just been too close not to finaly make it.

burt
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I sure hope he turns our offense into one of the best, he couldnt be worse then Don Breaux and Bill Musgrave the way they called our plays in the Tampa and Seattle playoffs, it was run run pass till the final gun.

See, I think Saunders just got a little complacent....a little stale. When he sees new weapons...he WILL improve Washington's offence. I think it was a good thing for Washington, Saunders AND KC for him to get a change....

DaWolf
05-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I get the feeling that you guys underestimate Al Saunders a bit now that he is bailing out for DC. Speaking from the vantage point of a fan whose team has all the tools necessary to be a dominant offense but hasn't had much to show for it... he is going to make a huge impact. Sure he can be too cutesy at times with the playcalling but the man KNOWS how to open up the field and get everyone in position for a big play. Give him more credit.

No I think he really has gotten plenty of credit around here, sometimes too much IMO. But he deserves the kudos, he did bring the attacking mentality to this team and he does know how to spread the ball around and diversify. I'm still not quite sure what to make of him never even sniffing an OC job since he was fired from San Diego until DV gave him the chance here.

Bottom line though is that Washington will be a better offense with him in charge as long as they stay healthy, and I'm still glad the guy did not become our head coach...

blueballs
05-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Al had such good luck under Dick
he became a Foreskin

ck_IN
05-09-2006, 08:23 PM
To strike gold a third time he'd have to have struck it a second time. DV's and by extension AS's tenure here was not gold.

They saddled us with I believe the oldest team in the league. They put up pretty offensive numbers but they didn't translate into wins. We had a 13-3 season that clearly was a fluke. Both DV and AS were apparently more concerned with stroking their egos then getting wins as evidenced by some of the cutesy play calling. For the length of DV and AS's tenure we got one division title, zero playoff wins and a 550 win percentage. More like fools gold.

Reaper16
05-09-2006, 08:28 PM
To strike gold a third time he'd have to have struck it a second time. DV's and by extension AS's tenure here was not gold.

They saddled us with I believe the oldest team in the league. They put up pretty offensive numbers but they didn't translate into wins. We had a 13-3 season that clearly was a fluke. Both DV and AS were apparently more concerned with stroking their egos then getting wins as evidenced by some of the cutesy play calling. For the length of DV and AS's tenure we got one division title, zero playoff wins and a 550 win percentage. More like fools gold.
It's is real gold if we're just going off of Al Saunders' work.

milkman
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM

You can blame Dick for the failures of the Chiefs as a team.

But Al did his part.
The offense, i his time as the OC was among the very best in the league.
Yes, he did, at times, try to get cute.
But the fact remains, his offense was prolific.

He wasn't responsible for the crappy defense.

Edit:You can also blame Carl for the team failures.

ck_IN
05-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Sidewinder and Reaper, I'm not holding AS responsible for non offensive issues. But I do contend that our offense put up pretty numbers but it didn't translate into wins.

How many times were we in position to score the game clinching touchdown but instead of giving it to #31 AS called cutesy pass plays? How often would a good dose of smashmouth to kill the clock have meant a win, rather then calling plays that only serve to show how brilliant AS thinks he is? Someone please explain to me why we pay so much to get Green and then don't allow him to audible?

As pretty as the offensive stats were there were basic flaws and game planning issues that were exploited week in and week out.

AS stuffed his resume here but he didn't do Chiefs fans any favours.

jspchief
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
My personal opinion is that Saunders what very good at building an offensive scheme, but was mediocre at game planning and bad at in game adjustements.

It's why our offense as a whole was dominant, but at times appeared clueless.

burt
05-09-2006, 10:02 PM
My personal opinion is that Saunders what very good at building an offensive scheme, but was mediocre at game planning and bad at in game adjustements.

are we related?

jspchief
05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
are we related?I hope not. I'd feel kind of bad finding out I've had a retarded brother all this time.

MOhillbilly
05-10-2006, 10:11 AM
O-line is the biggest concern in DC imo. They looked fair last year down the strech but started off SLOW. The D held that team together all year.
The Skins will be a fun team to watch this year, no doubt.

Inspector
05-10-2006, 10:15 AM

Yep. Seems that way to me too.

MOhillbilly
05-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Didnt Solari map the run gameplan for the past couple years?

If so Saunders and Bugel are made for each other.

burt
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I hope not. I'd feel kind of bad finding out I've had a retarded brother all this time.

Dude, wait til Domer finds out you called him retarded!!!!!!!