PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Sound System

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
05-06-2006, 10:37 PM
In my quest to finish my backyard I am turning my attention to a backyard sound system. I'd like something that produces quality sound, nothing too flat. Any ideas?

jspchief
05-06-2006, 10:50 PM
You have to be realistic about your needs and expectations. Due to the acoustics of the great outdoors, you're never going to get great sound. I'd say the outdoors is the one place that paying more for quality may not be worth it.

Here's a pretty good primer: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/home/speakers_outdoor.html

Halfcan
05-06-2006, 10:51 PM
In my quest to finish my backyard I am turning my attention to a backyard sound system. I'd like something that produces quality sound, nothing too flat. Any ideas?

I got a portable 8 track player I will sell you cheap. Act now and you get Kiss Alive 2 and Styx Grand Illusion for free.

C-Mac
05-07-2006, 12:44 AM

Can you make a picture layout of your backyard and where you would like everything to go?
Are you planning to run a completely separate system from your home system?
If you want rich bass to go along with your outdoor satelites, it would be good to do use an "outdoor enclosure" trick.

C-Mac
05-07-2006, 12:47 AM
I got a portable 8 track player I will sell you cheap. Act now and you get Kiss Alive 2 and Styx Grand Illusion for free.

If only you had Boston too......

Rausch
05-07-2006, 12:51 AM
CambridgeSoundworks.com has some great outdoors speakers/systems.

But they're not cheap...

blackhawk
05-07-2006, 05:50 AM
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/sirius-ready-outdoor-entertainment-island.html
Equipped with a stow-away 42" JVC Plasma TV, four 6" Clarion surround-sound speakers, Built-in subwoofer, DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner, A/V coaxial input for satellite receiver or cable TV and of course, Sirius Satellite Radio compatibility. This stucco and ceramic tile finished outdoor entertainment system will be sure to woe your friends at the Hamptons.

Skip Towne
05-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Is this system to be used to annoy your neighbors? Contact Bwana. Bird bombs work much better.

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2006, 07:13 AM
Is this system to be used to annoy your neighbors? Contact Bwana. Bird bombs work much better.

Bird bombs = Disorderly conduct, 20 hours of community service and a $300 fine.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
05-07-2006, 08:04 AM
thanks for the advice...both legit and smart ass. :) Halfcan, if you can dig up some Skynard we might have a deal.

Skip Towne
05-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Bird bombs = Disorderly conduct, 20 hours of community service and a $300 fine.
Yet Bwana remains a free man.

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Yet Bwana remains a free man.

And yet so am I. I don't remember saying anything about jail time.

Skip Towne
05-07-2006, 10:13 AM
And yet so am I. I don't remember saying anything about jail time.
I didn't say anything about jail time either. He is "free of the charges".

Ari Chi3fs
05-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I have an Advent Wireless speaker that is badass, that 900Mhz range... I plug the base into my stereo or computer or mp3 player... and bring the speaker whereever I sit. It is loud and sounds killer. $100. Or roughly One tank of Gas for jspchief or Phil

Miles
05-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Niles Audio makes some great and very popular outdoor speakers.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product_selection.php?catcdID=1

alanm
05-07-2006, 11:26 AM
bose.com

Bose®

Home < Shop Online < Outdoor and Marine Speakers < Outdoor Speakers

Free Space® 51 environmental speakers

Our best-performing landscape speakers deliver stereo performance over a wide listening area. An excellent choice if you prefer not to mount speakers to your home. Guaranteed to withstand severe weather.
360-degree sound coverage for our widest outdoor coverage
On- or in-ground installation
Engineered to withstand snow, sun, rain, ice and saltwater spray
Learn more
Compare outdoor speakers

$449.00 Carton
Payments as low as:
$37.42 per month
Green Add to cart
Usually ships within 7-10 days

251® environmental speakers

Our best wall-mount outdoor speakers let you enjoy full, rich stereo sound over a wide outdoor listening area, and are guaranteed to withstand harsh weather.
Wide listening area gives you freedom to move about and enjoy fuller stereo sound
Multi-chambered enclosure design assures that deep low frequencies stay true even in an outdoors setting
Learn more
Compare outdoor speakers

$398.00 Carton
Payments as low as:
$33.17 per month
Black Add to cart
White Add to cart

151® SE environmental speakers

Rugged outdoor speakers create a wide listening area for fuller stereo sound by the pool, porch—even on boats. Enhanced styling blends easily into the design of your home for unobtrusive listening. Mounting brackets included.
Speaker performance delivers fuller, more consistent sound coverage instead of one small "sweet spot"
Stylish design blends into most outdoor listening area
Learn more
Compare outdoor speakers

$278.00 Carton
Black Add to cart
IN STOCK
White Add to cart
IN STOCK

131® marine speakers

Flush-mounted speakers with special enclosures designed for consistent sound quality in harsh marine environments.
Consistent sound quality for marine use
Flush mount in your boat’s pre-cut speaker openings
Learn more

$238.00 Carton
Arctic White Add to cart
IN STOCK

Free Space® 51 environmental speakers/SA-3 amplifier package

Our best-performing landscape speakers deliver our widest outdoor sound coverage even while blending into the scenery. And the easily concealed SA-3 stereo amplifier connects to your Lifestyle® system to extend its performance outdoors.
Weather-tested in/on-ground speakers provide 360-degree sound coverage
Bose® link extends the performance of your Lifestyle® system outdoors
Simple one-cable connection between powerful, versatile SA-3 amplifier and Lifestyle® system

$748.00
Payments as low as:
$62.33 per month
Learn More

251® environmental speakers/SA-3 amplifier package

Experience balanced stereo sound outdoors with these premium speakers, even as you move across large areas. And the performance of your Lifestyle® system moves outdoors too with an easily concealed SA-3 stereo amplifier.
Award-winning wall-mounted speakers withstand harsh weather with style
Simple one-cable connection between powerful, versatile SA-3 amplifier and Lifestyle® system

$697.00
Payments as low as:
$58.08 per month
Learn More

151® SE environmental speakers/SA-2 amplifier package

Enjoy full stereo sound and the features of your Lifestyle® system outdoors with rugged, weather-tested speakers and an easily concealed SA-2 stereo amplifier.
Durable wall-mounted speakers are designed to blend into most outdoor listening areas
Simple one-cable connection between Lifestyle® system and SA-2 amplifier

$517.00
Payments as low as:
$43.08 per month
IN STOCK

jspchief
05-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Bose is crap. They're a product of uber-aggressive marketing.

alanm
05-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Bose is crap. They're a product of uber-aggressive marketing.
snob. :)

jspchief
05-07-2006, 11:33 AM
snob. :)Not really meaning to be. I'm just pointing out that they've built this massive name for themselves as high end audio manufacturers through marketing, but most audiophiles will tell you that they don't make good stuff.

Nelson Muntz
05-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I didn't say anything about jail time either. He is "free of the charges".

You said free man. That means not in jail. Maybe not in the century you were growing up but it does now.

Nzoner
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
151® SE environmental speakers

Rugged outdoor speakers create a wide listening area for fuller stereo sound by the pool, porch—even on boats. Enhanced styling blends easily into the design of your home for unobtrusive listening. Mounting brackets included.
Speaker performance delivers fuller, more consistent sound coverage instead of one small "sweet spot"
Stylish design blends into most outdoor listening area
Learn more
Compare outdoor speakers

$278.00 Carton
Black Add to cart
IN STOCK
White Add to cart
IN STOCK

I just had these installed on my deck two weeks ago,and as stated above they sound great if I'm down at my pond(some 50 yards away)but up close(like sitting on my deck)I'm not happy with them.

Boon
05-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a set of outdoor Boston Acoustics on my deck, hooked up to my home receiver. Due to the aoustics of the outdoors, they are not high-fidelity, but they work OK for outdoor parties/cookouts.