PDA

View Full Version : Family kicked out of all-you-can-eat buffet for "wasting food"

KCChiefsFan88
05-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Thank God other buffet restaurants aren't this draconian

Family Kicked Out of Buffet Restaurant

DES MOINES, Iowa (May 6) - Wendy Dershem may think twice before leaving that egg roll on her plate at her next Chinese buffet. The Des Moines woman, her boyfriend and her two children were kicked out of a restaurant last week after management accused her of leaving too much food on her plate.

"They told us we are not welcome there anymore," said Dershem, a repeat customer at the Dragon House buffet. "We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything and they want something else."

Dershem said she paid her $5.95 fee on Saturday but was abruptly told to leave after eating one plate of food.

Employees said they had been watching her family on previous trips to the restaurant and were fed up with her habits.

"They just take one bite and throw it away," said cashier Lin Huyen. "They take four egg rolls and crab ragoon, take one bite of egg roll and throw the whole plate. That is wasting food."

Dershem said she was shocked by the scolding and complained to management when she paid her check. "It was embarrassing. ... If it's a one-stop buffet, post it," she said.

Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.

"Shes done that too many times," Cao said. "We would welcome her back if she has respect and knows what she wants."

Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.

"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."

5/6/06

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060505/ap_on_fe_st/buffet_debacle

Halfcan
05-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I will never eat at Dragon House again. What is the world coming too, when poor white trash get kicked out of an "all you can eat".

wutamess
05-07-2006, 01:42 PM
I completely agree with the Chinese on this one.
My wife used to waste food at the chinese buffet before I said something to her abouot doing so.

She no longer does it.
We were raised to eat all of your fugging food on your plate that YOU got. The parents should know to give kids a little of something and get seconds if they eat it all. But to get 4 egg rolls and crab ragoon and to only take a bite...

She's lucky she didn't get her ass kicked.
Dispicable. (sp?)

Demonpenz
05-07-2006, 01:43 PM
man i used to love wearing cargo pants and going to a chinease buffet and stealing like 20 crab ragoon.

Spicy McHaggis
05-07-2006, 01:43 PM
"We waste too much food. But the buffet is all you can eat. And you know kids. They won't always eat everything and they want something else."

Well all you can eat seems to mean all you can eat. Not how much your bratty kids can take one bite of and leave on their plate because they don't want any more of that particular food. And if they're repeat customers shouldn't they know by now what they do and don't like?

I'm sorry but these people sound both fat and stupid.

Ari Chi3fs
05-07-2006, 01:45 PM
man i used to love wearing cargo pants and going to a chinease buffet and stealing like 20 crab ragoon.

"Hey Napoleon, give me some of your tots."

Phobia
05-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm with the restaurant as well. Restaurants WANT you to come back and patronize their establishment. They don't want you back if you're not a good investment. A buffet is structured so that they make a little money even if you're a hog that eats 5 plates. They can't make money if you're eating 3 bites off a plate and going back 8 times. It's wasteful and disrespectful. Booting them out was the right thing to do.

CoMoChief
05-07-2006, 01:46 PM
That is rediculous though to put that much food on a plate and not eat hardly anything of that, time after time after time. It's one thing to maybe leave your last plate filled with food on it because youre usually full and done eating, but to eat a couple bites and go grab another plate full only to eat another couple bites is wasting food and they had every right to throw them out.

Demonpenz
05-07-2006, 01:47 PM
i was upset when i went to vegas i couldn't find one of those buffets where it was like 9 dollars. I was going to take a duffle bag in there and stuff it full of meatloaf and mash potatoes then take it over to ceasers palance and dump it on a ring girl

4th and Long
05-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Hmmm ...

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the family in question each filled one plate full of food (approx 1 lb.). Now, let examine the following scenarios.

Scenario #1: Each member of the family eats one item from the full plate of food and throws the rest away (approx 12 oz. of wasted food).

Scenario #2. Each member of the family eats everything off their plate. Each member of the family sits on the toilet the next day and craps out the remaining food.

In both scenarios, is not the food wasted, or the food consumed and then crapped out, unusable? Sounds like a wash to me.

cdcox
05-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Repost
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140309

Simplex3
05-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I think I've eaten at this place. If it's the one I'm thinking of it's f**king awesome. They have like 5 or 6 10' long warming tables, one of which is American/Italian.

I have to agree with the owners, though. If I walked in and just started throwing trays of food away I'd expect as ass whooping. The guy said it just the right way:

Dragon House manager Kent Cao said his restaurant offers all you can eat buffet, not all you can waste. Dershem's family took food, didn't finish it and then piled on the same food again, he said.

Halfcan
05-07-2006, 01:54 PM
These dumbasses make the news for wasting food-wow doesn't take much for fame nowdays.

I wonder if they will get their own reality show?

Phobia
05-07-2006, 02:09 PM
These dumbasses make the news for wasting food-wow doesn't take much for fame nowdays.

I wonder if they will get their own reality show?

Yeah, they'll call it the Osbournes.

BucEyedPea
05-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Hmmm ...

Let's say, for the sake of argument, the family in question each filled one plate full of food (approx 1 lb.). Now, let examine the following scenarios.

Scenario #1: Each member of the family eats one item from the full plate of food and throws the rest away (approx 12 oz. of wasted food).

Scenario #2. Each member of the family eats everything off their plate. Each member of the family sits on the toilet the next day and craps out the remaining food.

In both scenarios, is not the food wasted, or the food consumed and then crapped out, unusable? Sounds like a wash to me.

Doesn't the human body take the nutrients only from the food before it gets rid of what it doesn't need (waste)? I think so. Many nutrients were thus wasted and unused. Still, not as bad as a Rockefeller family member, I once dated, whose family (his Mom and him) made a habit of of "all you can eat" oyster bars...then they'd go out back and vomit, like Romans, and then eat more. Some people just have no class.

Cochise
05-07-2006, 02:19 PM
I want to see pictures of this family.

Demonpenz
05-07-2006, 02:21 PM
man i really want to go to a buffet now

Short Leash Hootie
05-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Repost
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=140309
hahahaha...

you are truly pathetic!

Do people get like, little medals for point out reposts?!

4th and Long
05-07-2006, 02:26 PM
hahahaha...

you are truly pathetic!

Go Chiefs was famous for it.

Simplex3
hahahaha...

you are truly pathetic!

No, but they get their asses kicked for being stupid.

Phobia
hahahaha...

you are truly pathetic!

Way back in the day, I used to send checks to people who pointed them out. I don't know what they're doing now.

cdcox
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
hahahaha...

you are truly pathetic!

Repost:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3157275&postcount=3

Short Leash Hootie
05-07-2006, 02:30 PM
Repost:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=3157275&postcount=3
See...

This is funny.

Posiprop for you.

chiefs4me
05-07-2006, 02:30 PM
hahahaha...

you are truly pathetic!

ROFL

KChiefs1
05-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Hate to change the subject...but I was raised by parents who grew up during the depression therefore we didn't throw food away either...it was always used later as either leftovers or some sorta mystery stew that my mom was famous for making...

FAX
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
These people should be hailed as heroes by all Americans. Clearly, they are attempting to bankrupt these Chinese spies in order to disrupt their insidious buffet network.

God bless these valiant warriors in their fight for what is right and good in the world.

FAX

banyon
05-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Bob Oberbillig, an adjunct professor at the Drake Legal Clinic, says the patron would have no legal case against exclusion from a business unless there are other factors such as racial discrimination or mental health issues.

"An establishment can exclude people if they smoke or waste food," he said. "It's still a private business."

I do not concur with the distinguished adjunct professor's opinion.

There would be no cause of action against the exclusion, but the couple has a rock-solid breach of contract action for the $5.95.

http://simpsonloft.com/pjaunes/albums/36/bureauthutz.jpg

"Do these sound like the actions of a man who has had all he can eat?"

BucEyedPea
05-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I do not concur with the distinguished adjunct professor's opinion.

There would be no cause of action against the exclusion, but the couple has a rock-solid breach of contract action for the $5.95.

So the solution would be to add some fine print to the offer and then the professor's view would stand.

I believe, these all you can eat places, rely on the idea that most people don't completely pig-out.

Adept Havelock
05-07-2006, 03:05 PM
The restaurant is definitely in the right on this one.

However, they really should have said something about "Don't waste food. After all, think of all the starving children in China." (I can't count the number of times I heard that as a little kid. I also can't count the number of times I got slapped or sent off without dessert for saying "then send this to them". :D

Raised to eat what's on your plate? Damn right. "Take all you want, but eat all you take" is just the right way to behave, IMO.

FAX
05-07-2006, 03:11 PM
There was a news report thread some time ago dealing with the subject of how nutrition was causing larger breasts on Chinese women which, in turn, opened the door for Chinese weaponized bra attack on our shores.

Every wonton these people threw in the trash is one less wonton to feed the Chinese army of blood thirsty boob bombers. These are courageous patriots who deserve our respect.

FAX

Demonpenz
05-07-2006, 03:18 PM
i am still wanting buffet

ENDelt260
05-07-2006, 03:23 PM
However, they really should have said something about "Don't waste food. After all, think of all the starving children in China." (I can't count the number of times I heard that as a little kid. I also can't count the number of times I got slapped or sent off without dessert for saying "then send this to them". :D

We had a few Chinese national grad students in my fraternity. One day at dinner, a guy at another table stood up and announced, "Everybody... I just want to let you all know... Minjie says there are NOT starving children in China. So, it's okay to throw away your meatloaf if you don't like it."

Adept Havelock
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
We had a few Chinese national grad students in my fraternity. One day at dinner, a guy at another table stood up and announced, "Everybody... I just want to let you all know... Minjie says there are NOT starving children in China. So, it's okay to throw away your meatloaf if you don't like it."

ROFL

Phobia
05-07-2006, 03:31 PM
I didn't think Endelt's story was all that funny. I've heard much, much better.

4th and Long
05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
I didn't think Endelt's story was all that funny. I've heard much, much better.
Way to steal a sig, Phil. ROFL

Phobia
05-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Way to steal a sig, Phil. ROFL

I am undaunted by a silly, outdated voting process. Democracy is dead. We all know Phobia is the greatest.

Dunit35
05-07-2006, 05:50 PM
I love chinese restuarants. It's about time I go eat at one now that I think about it.

Iowanian
05-07-2006, 06:42 PM
maybe Eggwoll taste wike diwty asshowe. 2 bite too much to beayah.
Twy cwab wa-goo instead.

Wendy should foo they ass and sen ovah- INS to check gween cahd.