PDA

View Full Version : Bonds PWNS Philly

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Did anyone just see that shot?? My God...After they boo the piss out of him, starting up an anti-Bonds chant, he hits one 500 feet and then they cheer him. Wow.

hypersensitiveZO6
05-07-2006, 07:41 PM
so is he one away from ruth?

JBucc
05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
I thought that thing was gonna land in the upper upper deck and it barely missed it. He still sucks though.

VonneMarie
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
That was a mosterous homerun. :eek:

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I thought that thing was gonna land in the upper upper deck and it barely missed it. He still sucks though.

I hate Bonds, but I drafted him in the 6th round of my fantasy draft this year. Good f*cking god though I haven't seen a ball hit like that since Pujols put Lidge in the fetal position.

Tuckdaddy
05-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Hate or love Bonds, his numbers cannot be ignored. Steroids or no roids his career has been incredible.

4th and Long
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Bonds ... who?

tk13
05-07-2006, 07:54 PM
That ball was destroyed.

Bowser
05-07-2006, 07:56 PM
I need to introduce some flax oil seed into my diet so I can crush like that in my softball league. If I were on one.

Dunit35
05-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I need to get on whatever Bonds is on. I would own the ball in my upcoming softball league.

tk13
05-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I need to introduce some flax oil seed into my diet so I can crush like that in my softball league. If I were on one.
Yes, because without steroids that ball would've been a pop out to 2nd base. :)

Bowser
05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, because without steroids that ball would've been a pop out to 2nd base. :)

At best.

I'm suprised he ever got anything out of the infiled in his Pittsburgh days.

Skip Towne
05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Bonds is a piker compared to Mickey Mantle. Mantle hit a ball completely over the right field roof of Tiger stadium. The blast was measured at 643 feet. He hit one estimated at 565 feet out of a stadium in Washington. Yep, a white boy without the benefit of steroids.

Reaper16
05-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Bonds' homers this year have been impressive considering he can't use his legs for strength too much due to his bad knee health. His homers have come from pure upper body strength and his excellent hand/eye coordination.

Bonds is the most talented, impressive ballplayer I've ever seen.

luv
05-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Did any of the old-time greats use steroids? Why do players suddently need them to be any good now?

banyon
05-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Did any of the old-time greats use steroids? Why do players suddently need them to be any good now?

Because the pitchers are roided up too.

Reaper16
05-07-2006, 10:56 PM

Moooo
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM

I would say the competition that has been created with the creation of free agency. Even though I'd kill to ride the pine on an MLB salary, most people would rather make the 6 mil a year than the league minimum.

I think he's an A-hole, but I'm all for him breaking the record. And there shouldn't be an asterisk, not only because of only hear-say evidence, but mostly because he has one anyway. Even 50 years from now, people will be like, "Yeah, so what, that was the "juicing age" of baseball. The American public makes the most definite jury of all.

I did LOVE the picture of Barry looking at the sign someone made in the left field in Philly that said, "Ruth did it with hot dogs and beer," or something to that effect.

Moooo

chefsos
05-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Bonds is a piker compared to Mickey Mantle. Mantle hit a ball completely over the right field roof of Tiger stadium. The blast was measured at 643 feet.Here's a little detail. (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr091758.htm ) The second arrow indicates one that landed on the roof but didn't clear it. Cheap shot. :)
He hit one estimated at 565 feet out of a stadium in Washington.It's either this one (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr041756.htm) , or this one. (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr070358.htm) Not sure which.

I've read some accounts, though, that claim a 374' shot in Yankee Stadium would have been a bigger bomb than all of 'em. It struck the facade over right field so hard that it bounced back nearly to the infield. The ball was STILL RISING when it did so. (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr052263.htm)

Moooo
05-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Here's a little detail. (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr091758.htm ) The second arrow indicates one that landed on the roof but didn't clear it. Cheap shot. :)
It's either this one (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr041756.htm) , or this one. (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr070358.htm) Not sure which.

I've read some accounts, though, that claim a 374' shot in Yankee Stadium would have been a bigger bomb than all of 'em. It struck the facade over right field so hard that it bounced back nearly to the infield. The ball was STILL RISING when it did so. (http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/hr052263.htm)

You know what really makes it amazing. The guy was so drunk most of the time he saw three baseballs coming at him. He just "knew" to hit the middle one...

Moooo

Sure-Oz
05-07-2006, 11:27 PM
its funny they boo and then all get up and clap, its kinda funny and that was a ****in bomb.

Sure-Oz
05-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Bonds' homers this year have been impressive considering he can't use his legs for strength too much due to his bad knee health. His homers have come from pure upper body strength and his excellent hand/eye coordination.

Bonds is the most talented, impressive ballplayer I've ever seen.
its almost sad watching him run in left field now, that knee is just gone.....this guy is an 8 time gold glover and many forget he is probably one of the best all around players ever.

tk13
05-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Whoever measured that homer at 450 feet needs to be fired. Actually I'm guessing they measure where the ball hit the upper deck, which is no fun. I would have to agree for a human being to hit a baseball that far without his legs is pretty incredible.

I think some of this historic home runs probably become greater tales with age.

http://www.wcnet.org/~dlfleitz/mac.htm

I was in the ballpark that night when Mark McGwire hit the longest home run of his career, off Livan Hernandez. It is probably the most inhumane athletic feat I have ever witnessed. He turned on a fastball and hit a line drive off the facade of the upper deck of Busch... in center field. It never even really gets replayed because they didn't have good video of it because one, the ball was going too fast, and two, the cameraman behind the plate just never thought to tilt the camera all the way to the upper deck. I'm not sure if it was still rising when it hit, but it was pretty darn close. It definitely would've bounced off the center field scoreboard at the K.

I find it really hard to believe a human being could hit a baseball any harder than that though. You just had to see it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Was the one off Hernandez longer than the 530+ bomb he hit off of Randy Johnson in the Kingdome??

tk13
05-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Yes. That's the one that always gets played on the McGwire highlight reel so everybody thinks it is the longest he hit, but that was 538 feet. This one was measured at 545 feet, and I'm not sure it wasn't longer than that. There wasn't really a good shot of it... he clobbered it, and then the video shows centerfield like it normally does for a home run, but all you see is the ball coming down after it bounced off the sign in front of the upper deck. Plus it just wasn't as majestic... it was a line drive.

'Hamas' Jenkins
05-08-2006, 01:07 AM
I'd like to know the true measurements on the Pujols shot off Lidge.

tk13
05-08-2006, 01:15 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/05/17/archive/main9616.shtml

McGwire hit a drive estimated at a Busch Stadium-record 545 feet, tying for the major league lead with his 16th home run in the Cardinals' 5-4 victory over the Florida Marlins on Saturday night.

"It's the best ball I've ever hit," McGwire said. "I don't think I can hit one better than that."

The Cardinals' previous record was a drive by McGwire that traveled an estimated 527 feet on Tuesday night. The team has been measuring home runs since 1988.

The estimate also beats McGwire's previous best for distance, a 538-foot homer off Seattle's Randy Johnson June 24, 1997, in the Kingdome when he played for the Oakland Athletics.

Demonpenz
05-08-2006, 01:17 AM
i like the one canseco hit in the 89 playoffs like 3rd deck in skydome. That one sexton hit in arizona was long as hell

CosmicPal
05-08-2006, 01:28 AM
I like the banner the fans had in the stands last night:

Babe did it all on hot dogs and beer.

luv
05-08-2006, 01:31 AM
i like the one canseco hit in the 89 playoffs like 3rd deck in skydome. That one sexton hit in arizona was long as hell
I love how guys can remember dates of certain games, who was playing whom, what their stats were at the time, etc, but they can't ever remember their anniversary. :p

tk13
05-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Another good one was Andres Galarraga, I believe he still played for the Rockies, and he hit one at Florida, I couldn't tell you the exact year... it was halfway up the upper deck in left center field though, just a total bomb. I've never seen any other player even come close to matching that at Dolphins stadium.

chefsos
05-08-2006, 01:39 AM
I love how guys can remember dates of certain games, who was playing whom, what their stats were at the time, etc, but they can't ever remember their anniversary. :p
I'm a bad man because I know that Joe Torre hit .363 in 1971? And that my first wife's birthday is, umm...I'll get back to you on that.

Demonpenz
05-08-2006, 01:40 AM
i was thinking about gallaraga today. I was wondering if he ws on roids maybe that could have caused cancer. Then i thought about big daddy choking me for suggesting such a thing

chefsos
05-08-2006, 02:01 AM
I wonder how many guys have hit bombs clean out of some of today's ballparks. Obviously it didn't happen in domes and big cavernous ones like the Vet.

I do know that Frank Robinson is the only man to hit one out of old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I don't think anyone's gone out of Camden Yards over the bullpens and pavilion in left center, and the seven story warehouse kinda gets in the way in right.

Frisco? Yeah. Pittsburgh? Detroit? Denver? Don't know.

tk13
05-08-2006, 02:19 AM
I remember back when the All-Star game was in Denver, they were talking about how McGwire hit one into the parking lot of Coors in BP, so a ball has been hit out of left field there. He didn't hit one out of the K, but I know he hit one about to the concession stands in the back of the left field stands during a game. You'd have to really hit a bomb to get it out of the K though. Adam Dunn has hit one out of Cincinnati's park I do believe. Sosa hit one through out the back of the stadium onto the street in Milwaukee during the home run derby, I guess that kinda counts. Safeco Field in Seattle could be one that you could hit it out of I believe, if you yanked it down the left field line. Don't think anyone has done that though.

caoecod
05-08-2006, 05:34 AM
There was a good sign in Left Field last night that said "Barry can you move your head I can't see".. ROFL

OldTownChief
05-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Bonds PWNS Philly? Who won the game?

StcChief
05-08-2006, 06:39 AM
No the HOF committee owns Bonds.

Don't let him in until he is dead.

Amnorix
05-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Bonds can't get hit by a bus too quickly.

But if his nuts fall off due to his 'roiding, I'm okay with that too.

Amnorix
05-08-2006, 08:04 AM
No the HOF committee owns Bonds.

Don't let him in until he is dead.

Bonds (and a few others) deserve the Pete Rose treatment, pretty much, in my book.

Tuckdaddy
05-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Bonds can't get hit by a bus too quickly.

But if his nuts fall off due to his 'roiding, I'm okay with that too.

HATER! If he's roiding then why isn't he suspended? Bonds is taking a beating from the entire nation but others, and not just baseball players, that we know for fact were on the juice for years are getting a free pass.

vailpass
05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
HATER! If he's roiding then why isn't he suspended? Bonds is taking a beating from the entire nation but others, and not just baseball players, that we know for fact were on the juice for years are getting a free pass.

People like you are the reason Arkansas has the reputation it does.

Bowser
05-08-2006, 10:21 AM
For all the supplementing Bonds may or may not have done, you still need to be able to have the talent to put the bat on the ball just right to have the ability to hit 713 HR's.

I'm of the opinion that had he not been such a raging a-hole during his career, he would be the taost of the country right now, just as McGwire and Sosa were in '98.

Roids or no roids, the guy has been a real deek. That's probably most of the reason he gets booed and thrown under a microscope. He's only got himself to blame.

Amnorix
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM

They shouldn't get a free pass either. Most of them are retired, however, so there isn't a helluva lot you can do about it.

Let's just say I'd be withholdign alot of HOF votes from certain people if I were a member of teh BBWAA or whatever it's called.

Amnorix
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
For all the supplementing Bonds may or may not have done, you still need to be able to have the talent to put the bat on the ball just right to have the ability to hit 713 HR's.

I'm of the opinion that had he not been such a raging a-hole during his career, he would be the taost of the country right now, just as McGwire and Sosa were in '98.

Roids or no roids, the guy has been a real deek. That's probably most of the reason he gets booed and thrown under a microscope. He's only got himself to blame.

If he hadn't been 'roiding, he'd be at 600 HRs, maybe, and he'd probably be sitting on a porch somewhere by now. 'roiding increased his HRs, and made him BETTER as he got older, prolonging his career.

If he hadn't been 'roiding, he'd have been a first ballot HOFer. Still an A-Hole, but a HOFer.

StcChief
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
If he hadn't been 'roiding, he'd be at 600 HRs, maybe, and he'd probably be sitting on a porch somewhere by now. 'roiding increased his HRs, and made him BETTER as he got older, prolonging his career.

If he hadn't been 'roiding, he'd have been a first ballot HOFer. Still an A-Hole, but a HOFer.
Could have settle for ~600 no roids HOF.

A-hole for sure. They 'roids will keep him out HOF.
Along with Mark McG and Sosa... and others.

tk13
05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
It's an unpopular opinion on my part... but to be honest I don't think roids had nearly as much of an impact on the game as people like to believe. Sure it doesn't hurt... and in some cases probably really helped (i.e. Brady Anderson) but say Bonds never touched steroids, he still would've hit the weights extremely hard and used legal supplements to become much larger than he was early in his career. Athletes in both football and baseball now are looking to be bigger, stronger, and faster than ever before.

That's not to say he shouldn't be punished for using steroids, but I think people throwing these projections out there are flailing in the wind. He still would've hit a ton of home runs. The guy maybe had the best strike zone control of any player I have ever seen.